Emma Hardie-amazing face

Great product for when my skin needs TLC. As with a lot of people, I picked this up after Caroline Hirons' recommendation. I always shied away from balm products as I wasn't sure I could be bothered with the mess of using a wash cloth but this has converted me and my skin feels both super clean and soft after. I still use a baby wipe to make sure eye make up is taken off as I find it's not so great with that. I also only use my wash cloth per wash and then it gets chucked in the laundry - as per Hirons' instructions to use one per day!

I always go back to this cleanser and lord knows I have tried a fair few and mostly high end. I'll break it down:
1.Never broken me out and I have combination skin
2.It feels like an indulgent balm for a massage and I like to use it a couple of times a week for a quick DIY mini facial
3. I don't use it as a makeup remover now Because of the price but when I do use it, all my makeups gone. I don't use waterproof mascara but it works well for regular mascara
1. The packaging is abysmal, everything that you have read about the horrid packaging is true
2. It melts in high temperature so if you are travelling to a warm country decant into suitable container.

I stopped counting after my 10th jar but I am fairly confident that I will continue using this product for years to come. and although it is classed as a cleanser, I feel that the best of this product comes in when you use it as a treatment balm for massaging. I do 15 to 30 mins of massaging with this every week and it has made a difference to my skin. I am 30+ but my skin looks plump with no wrinkles or fine lines. I also use this before I have someplace nice to go to, I find that makeup sits better on my skin.
Hope this review was helpful, if anyone has any query about this product I would be happy to help if I can.

on 6/7/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I've used a lot of balm cleansers and they are my preferred makeup removal method. I have combination-oily skin and I wear light makeup with wp mascara daily. While this is nice enough to finish I will definitely not be purchasing it again.

I caved and tried this when every blogger under the sun raved about it. I held off for years and I should have held off forever. This is a good cleansing balm but its cons are one too many to forgive. It worked and it didn't do anything bad to my skin at all but I can't think of anything about this texture, cost, scent, cleansing power, packaging etc that isn't matched or beaten by another cheaper balm.

The packaging looks gorgeous but both jars I've had leaked, one cracked and they don't feel nearly as substantial as they look. As a product the scent is very herbal-spa but a bit warm and sweet. Its very pleasant to smell. The texture is a bit iffy. I find that you can feel very tiny bits of 'something'. The 'something' might be the formula hardening or ingredients that aren't fully ground or whatever. My feeling is that while it isn't scratchy is also isn't pleasant. The balm will also melt in the jar long before it touches your finger or face, so it tends to be an oily mess. On the skin it is very greasy but doesn't spread well so it is no good for facial massage. I found I had to use more of this than other balm cleansers to get the job done. As a makeup remover it is sub-par, especially with wp mascara. I had to really really work it in and sometimes there was residue. That almost never happens to me with even the cheapest of balms. That was a major vote against this in my book. I rinses well with a wash cloth and leaves the skin with a light moisturised feel, not sticky or greasy but there is something. I use this as a single cleanse in the morning and it didn't break me out but doesn't rinse as clean as I would like either.

I bought two jars in a post-Christmas sale and even on sale they were a splurge I regret. If you use balms like I do, as a makeup remover, then the fancy pants ingredients aren't getting close enough to your skin to do any good. I moved this to my morning cleanse because it was messy and a poor choice for makeup removal. Though I'd hesitate to spend that much even on my second/morning cleanse because I don't feel that cleanser stays on your face long enough to improve anything anyway. If it were cheaper I might have been more forgiving but this gets two lippies and I wouldn't recommend or repurchase. Frankly, I might have happily paid even more for this stuff if it were nicer but it is a bit lack lustre in every department but scent. Try something else.

on 5/6/2015 12:17:00 AM

I have started to get combination Dry skin since 1 yr back & used to be combination Oily. last 2 yrs i have been battling getting more hydration into my regiem going into Combi - normal & now combi Dry i decided to seriously tackle my moisture issues.

1st impressions:-

the tub came with a semi hardened centre & the sides had melted & I spilt a good 2-3 uses on the toilet floor - no waste used it on my neck & chest.

I have used it twice last night & this morning, double cleansed last night but balm alone this morning.

I been having some dryness for a while with perhaps over exfoliation with Peter Thomas Roth's Max pads (I need to scrub less & Just swipe! too heavy handed me bad)

it did make my skin a little more comfortable after cleansing. Surprisingly not sticky or yucky after feel even though this product's texture really reminds me of a heavy oily body butter i used for stretch marks previously.

Smell: Many people adore the smell, For the record as many have scent impression changes during their periods - mine came 2 weeks back so i should not be hormonal affected in this area. I am not crazy about the smell, i would say its pleasant enough for me not to hate it for sure.

will be back after 2 weeks of use i hope!

Ok its been a few weeks, I am leaving it at 3 lippes, its really very expensive & I did break out from this. i need to use it not daily so that i dont break out - however the hydrating factor is very good i must say - SO if used 3 times a week, i would give it a 4 lippie 1 off the pimples, & price point.

on 4/27/2015 5:55:00 PM

This is a holy grail product for me, I switched after using another very famous balm cleanser for years but find this works better as I'm getting a bit older and my skin is no longer the oil slick it used to be. This removes all traces of make up and leaves my skin clean but not stripped of moisture, I'm on my second tub now and don't think I'll be switching back any time soon. I think the price is very good compared to others on the market, the only let down for me is the packaging, it's cheap looking, bulky and the lids crack almost immediately. This still isn't enough to knock a lippie off for me, it just sits in my bathroom and I decant into a smaller container for travelling.

on 5/5/2014 3:39:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I purchased this because like most other people here I'm an avid follower of Caroline Hirons skincare blog and she loves this product. I only gave this 2 lipsticks because I was using this product for around six months and I LOVED it. Recently though my skin has become slightly more oily/combination and when I bought another pot after not using it for a month or so my skin started breaking out worse than ever before! I am fairly lucky with spots and only get the odd one but this was insane and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I eventually cut this out of my routine and voila my skin started improving almost immediately. Sad because I used to love this but I guess it just doesn't work for everyone.

on 2/4/2014 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I prefer cleansing balms over cleansing oils b/c i find cleansing oils are too hard to control and drip into my eyes as well as running through my fingers and this is definitely best of the best of the cleansing balms. Feels super luxurious to work into the skin, I love the herbal-y scent (reminds me of a nice spa)- removes makeup, cleanses and softens my skin beautifully.

I like to massage a dollop into my skin, rinse my hands and use the leftover water from the rinse to do a second massage and slightly emulsify the balm, then i press a warm damp cloth over my face for a few moments and let the steam open my pores before I wipe/rinse. Feels amazing and my skin always looks the best when I'm using this cleanser w/ this method.

Warning: If your bathroom counter gets really hot (I know mine does in the summer living in So Cal), the product will get melty and sometimes when it re-solidifies the texture changes - so keep that bad boy under the sink where its cooler!

Took a star off for price (good god is it expensive! but I think worth it) and packaging - the packaging WILL leak if you try to travel with it.

No, no, no! Cheap packaging for an oily balm? That can only spell disaster! And it did - ruined my overnight bag when the casing split with minimal rough handling. I had only used it a couple of times and was quite taken with the whole balm-cleansing ritual but not so much the cost of the balm. I think it's overpriced, and I'm not averse to shelling out for high end brands. Fortunately I had put the bag inside a plastic bag so not much else was covered in the resulting oil slick. Mind you, it smelled gorgeous...

on 12/25/2013 5:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really didn't want to like this because it is one pricey hard to get your hands on cleanser. For the first week I didn't particularly love it. And then all of a sudden I realised what my skin was like when I wasn't using it and it became my all time favourite cleanser. I have never found anything that feels soothing and yet gets every bit of makeup off and also doesn't leave skin feeling tight or oily. I usually just take a small amount and rub in then take it off with a face washer (flannel). You get that satisfaction of seeing all your makeup off your face so quickly. I would recommend for people with normal to dry skin as that's what I have. Worth trying even for the price if you're in the market for a new cleanser.

on 10/11/2013 10:00:00 AM

I was SO disappointed with this product, which is a rarity given the success I've had with other Caroline Hirons endorsed items (seriously, Biologique Recherche P50 CHANGED. MY. LIFE).

FIrstly, I was expecting this to be a rich, luxurious, pasty balm. It was not. It is rather thin and runny for a "balm," leaning more towards the oil end of the oil - balm spectrum. So that is disappointment #1.

Secondly, the smell is a little weird. I am absolutely not one to shy away from scented products - I actually love facial products that have a lovely scent to them, because it creates more of a spa feel when I'm going about my daily skincare routine. But this was just not uplifting or refreshing in any way. Disappointment #2.

Thirdly, and this is my MAJOR gripe with this item: the packaging is absolutely atrocious. Beyond horrible. I only keep this on a shelf in my bathroom, where it sits unmoving until I use it in the evening. Somehow, there are three giant cracks running down the side of the tub. Also, and this is truly baffling, the balm is somehow stuck to the top lid and on the sides and all over the place, even though I have never turned the product upside-down, and am not messy when I scoop a little out at night. I have no clue how this is happening, and it's extremely frustrating.

For the price and the hassle to get this from the UK (I live in the US so it wasn't that easy to acquire), I won't be repurchasing this one when I run out.

Popular Face Skincare Products