July 28, 2014 | 1013 users online

Mascara - Bare Escentuals - Buxom Amplified Lash

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

For my "Asian" (short, thin, straight, stubborn, pont-straight-down) lashes, this mascara wouldn't hold a curl. When my sensitive, allergy-prone eyes would tear, the formula would run so my eye makeup would become a mess. I liked the initial effect when I would first apply the mascara, but it didn't last. This mascara has a cool wand that you can twist to make the bristles more or less dense. The bristles are plastic and not too long. I ended up returning this mascara to Sephora, but I took my time trying to make it work because I liked the concept and the silver/chrome packaging is very nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by SwampThing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

My HG mascara! I use this every day and can't say I've ever been happier with a mascara. I love the silver tube and the expanding bristles on the brush are awesome. I have sold a TON of these at the store I work at- so worth it. I have very long eyelashes and this mascara makes them practically touch my eyebrows. I've never had any issues with flaking or smudging and it stays put, but is easy to remove as well. Will always have a tube of this on hand!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After doing a lot of research about other cruelty-free mascaras, I'm going with my second tube of this stuff. I bought it on a whim not knowing what to expect, but six months in I'm still using the same tube and it's still giving me fantastic results: dark, lovely fanned out lashes that have tons of volume, aren't spidery, and are so long they touch the bottoms of my eyebrows!!

Yes, it is a wet formula, but I think this helps it last longer. A trick I found that helps it adhere better to lashes is to apply a light dusting of face powder or eyeshadow to the lashes before applying the mascara. I like the wetter formula though because you don't have to work with it as much to get lashes to separate.

Great stuff, give it a try! It's cruelty-free too so bunnies didn't have to wear it before you do. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2013 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Ha77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to be honest I was positive I was going to hate this product. First off I got a deluxe sample in a smoky eye set. I hate plastic mascara brushes and have never felt that they properly coat my natural thick long lashes, I always have to apply multiple coats with plastic brushes. So I didn't have high hopes for this product. I decided to try it out at on a lazy day and home and WOW!! My lashes look amazing after applying this mascara: long, thick, full a defined with 2 swipes of the wand. I do one swipe with the brush retracted and one with it extended. I have not had a problem with flaking and raccoon eyes either! The only reason I didn't give it a 5 was because it is such a wet formula I get a dot on my lids from my lashes touching, it cleans up easily though. One tip: do not put this on if you feel a sneeze coming on, wait until after- I sneezed while still wet and had to start over :/ I will be buying this again for sure!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 4:02:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

God I want to give this mascara 5 lippies! In all ways but one, it's one of the best mascaras I've ever tried. I've been on a mascara testing kick lately, and this is easily the favorite of the ones I've tried recently. Probably one of my favorites ever. I found a sample size of this mascara from Sephora that had gotten lost in my stash about a week ago and fell head over heels for the way this made my lashes look. HUGE length (think Drag Queen levels) and a lotta volume, while still leaving my lashes gorgeously defined and fanned out. No clumps, super black and my lashes feel neither hard or crispy. The brush is AWESOME. I'm a fan of plastic bristle brushes, and this is the neatest one I've ever seen. At first being able to twist the brush into two different sizes just seemed kind of gimmicky, but after playing with it I really see the value in it. With the brush fully extended, the bristles are spaced out further apart which increases the amount of mascara that gets deposited on your lashes giving you more volume. But when you click the dial on the end of the wand and shorten the brush head, it brings the bristles together to more finely comb your lashes. A lot of mascaras promise that their brushes are able to multi-task this way, but few pull it off as well or as cleverly as Amplified. You can use the different settings to give yourself long, cleanly defined lashes, thick black fringe or somewhere in between the two. It's awesome!

The catch? Amplified has a really wet formula. It's long wearing and doesn't flake, but it is more smudge prone than most mascaras I've tried lately. Not only does it take several minutes to full dry, but it re-wets easily in the presence of moisture. Between allergies and just being a big softy, my eyes water regularly. It's not so bad that I feel that I need to only wear waterproof mascara, but it is bad enough that wet-textured mascaras pose a challenge. For mascaras with drier formulas, tears might mean that touching my lashes could make a mess but usually there's no smudging or running so long as I keep from rubbing my eyes. With amplified, I could wind up with serious smudging even if I only tear up a little and never touch my face. Oh and forget taking a nap with it on! No mascara looks great after sleeping, but few have required me to do serious clean up after one. This does.

Still I love how this mascara looks so much that I'm willing to put up with its frustrations. I'm hoping to find a good waterproof lash topcoat to help fix the problem. If I do, this might become my HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by hondafan1122

I have not tried the full-size version of this mascara yet, but am going based off of the deluxe-sized sample that I have tried. Usually, I cannot tell what a mascara is like based off of a sample. Most samples from other brands seem like toys, I feel like they are really empty on the inside and I am just fooling myself by putting them on. I usually end up using random samples from different brands together to get any kind of result, but not with this one. With this one, I could tell that the formula is great, and I love the brush. No clumping, no flaking, or anything! I definitely am now wanting to purchase the full-size version. I am usually not a fan of Bare Escentuals products, but I really want to go out and buy this mascara!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2013 1:30:00 AM More reviews by akharri785

I got a mini of this in a Buxom sampler pack. I love the Buxom brand and their Buxom Lash is my HG mascara. So I was definitely willing to give this a try. Sadly, I was disappointed by this. The concept of an expanding brush was interesting but not too life changing in reality. I hated the formula and found it to be way too watery, causing it to smear easily. I also hated the brush. I prefer fuller bristles and did not care for the plastic nubs this wand is made of. Additionally, this mascara didn't add any volume, which is my main priority in a mascara. It added some length but it also appeared very fake looking due to the formula. However, I finished it up by using it on my lower lashes which it worked okay on but still not great. I'll be sticking to Buxom's Buxom Lash forever!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by citizenannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The original Buxom mascara is my HG mascara, so when I saw the newer formula and brush, I jumped on it, hoping it would be a nice volumizing alternative -- essentially, a Buxom that I would wear at night for bigger, bolder lashes with a smoky eye.

It wasn't the worst mascara (I did use up the tube), but it was really underwhelming for me. It didn't apply smoothly like the original Buxom, and the adjustable brush did pretty much nothing for me. There are other, better mascaras for adding lots of volume if that is what you want, and the original Buxom is smoother and goes on much nicer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 5:31:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

As of right now, Buxom Amplified Lash mascara is my HG of mascaras. I've tried plenty of mascaras in my lifetime. I've seen plenty of brushes. Whether it's the two-timing brush or the formulation that Bare Escentuals has created for their Amplified Lash, it definitely works.
My lashes are shorter since I've become older. It's a fact of life. I don't particularly like it and I do use lash serums. But I also have to use a really good mascara that creates volume. And I have rules that my mascara must adhere to. Especially if I'm going to pay $22 for it. I want the wand to be the right size and have the correct bristles so that I don't have to constantly use a q-tip to clean away the black drops that didn't quite make it to my lashes. Buxom has that covered with this mascara. You have a choice. You can twist the end of the brush to extend it to a full position for volume and thickness. One or two swipes coats my lashes with layers just enough darkness for my fair eyes. Twist the wand back down into the compact position for lengthening and defining. Some short sweeps across your lashes and you're done. How simple is that? No clumping, either. The formula is creamy, not runny, not clumpy at all. It's a rich, dark black that highlights your eyes beautifully. It dries quick enough. In between the two first coats I use a lash curler and my lashes are the best they've been in a long, long time. I used to be a fan of Clinique's High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara but that doesn't come close to Buxom's Amplified Lash. I'm delighted that the brush works on both my upper and lower lashes without a problem. Clinique came out with their Bottom Lash Mascara Long Wearing Formula which is a tiny brush formulated for the lower lashes, designed for ease and I tried that but that was more of a gimmick. I've had no problems at all with this brush on my lower lashes. As far as all day wear, it stays in place without smudging or flaking. When the day is over, it's easy to remove with my normal skin care routine. I don't have to use any special makeup remover to get all of it off. It washes off easily, which is a plus in saving your lashes. All in all, it's worth every penny. Also, cruelty-free.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2012 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Got a delux sized sample of this. The idea of a wand that you can twist up or down to change was intriguing but in reality it doesn't work. I get decent looking lashes when I apply with the extended brush. When I shorten the brush I get clumpy lashes with no length and not much volume. Using with the brush extended I was happy with the way the formula looks on though I found it is really hard to reach some of my eyelashes on the inner corners with the brush in either position. It lengthens and to a lesser degree volumizes a quite decent amount. However, this stuff is near impossible to get off. Even with makeup remover I struggle to get it off. Its just too hard on my lashes.