Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength

4.4

on 3/15/2015 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I moved from west to east coast and all of a sudden I have dandruff, probably due to extremely dry winter air. I tried Head and Shoulders with zinc, Body Shop ginger shampoo that gets rave reviews on this site, and neither of them worked to get rid of my winter flakes. This shampoo worked to get rid of the dandruff within a week. I was really happy.
HOWEVER, my bf cannot stand the smell. He says it reminds him of old men smell (his dad). I could not stand the smell for the first couple of days, but then I got used to it, but apparently the smell can be pretty appalling to other people. I think I will try Selsun Blue to see if it smells better.

on 2/11/2015 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

It works! The fastest and most effective thing to knock out my stubborn sebhorrheic dermatitis, (ewwwww). And after you're all cleared up using it just once a week or so seems to keep it at bay since it is a bit drying and not the greatest smell. Disappointed that I can't find this in Europe. Do note that it advises super-thorough rinsing on light-coloured hair, mine is nearly black so I didn't find this an issue but something to keep in mind.

on 2/7/2015 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been suffering with dandruff for ages now. I haven't really had any luck with other dandruff shampoos. Then I came across this one. I love it I use it every time I wash my hair (~3 days) and this works. I noticed that in winter, my scalp gets a lot more oily than usual. The only thing I don't like is it smells weird.

the only thing that really works for my seborrheic dermatitis. helps with flakes and bumps on my scalp. tried other things over the years and went back to this.

on 9/2/2014 9:50:00 AM

I thought I had reviewed this product long ago, but apparently I hadn't! I have had problems with seborrheic dermatitis (basically an extreme version of dandruff with oily scalp and itchy, crusty dandruff--gross, I know!) since I was about 10 years old. It seems to be seasonal and is ramping up again now that it will soon be Fall. I have kept this product on hand for probably 15 years (formerly called Intensive), and it definitely does the trick to stop the severe itching and flaking. The only negative is that it doesn't smell great--my hair smells clean, but this shampoo definitely leaves an underlying sulfur odor which I can smell all day on my hands and nails, as well. I asked my teenage daughter to smell my hair and she claims she doesn't smell anything weird, but *I* can smell it on myself. If you have been suffering with persistent, crusty, oily, itchy dandruff give this a try!

on 3/27/2014 8:07:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

In 1997, I had been suffering from a seriously flaky scalp for years. I don't know what it was - dry scalp, dandruff, fungal infection? It wasn't itchy, just persistently flaky. I had tried everything over-the-counter like Neutrogena T-Gel, Selsun Blue, and regular Head & Shoulders.

I bought this, expecting it work no better. After a few uses, I realized my flakes were GONE. Since then, I have never been without this shampoo (I think it was called Intensive at the time, but this is the same thing). I don't use it every time I wash my hair; I just treat my scalp with it once every couple of weeks or so.

It's not a very luxurious shampoo experience. It doesn't smell great, and it appears to strip and dry my hair. But that's what conditioner is for. And anyway, it's worth the downside. It's the only thing that works Every Single Time!

I buy mine at CVS for maybe 6 or 7 dollars (I think?). I don't have to buy a new bottle very often, so I'm not sure. And it's a big bottle, unlike most specialized treatment shampoos, so it's very cost-effective. Give it a try if you have persistent flakes.

on 12/2/2013 12:14:00 AM

This shampoo " cure " my heavily dandruff head. I tried a lot different kind of shampoo and tried to figure out why my hair has so much dandruff, and this shampoo has help decrease the dandruff drastically and now I have no dandruff anymore. I only use if for a few weeks and dandruff is all gone now I am using regular shampoo. But if my dandruff comes back, now I know I would use this shampoo. Thanks to my boyfriend who introduced me this shampoo.

This did nothing to benefit my hair/scalp & actually further irritated the issues I am having. If you have sensitive skin or are dealing with a red scalp, opt for the 2% Zinc H&S instead.

This shampoo is great for dandruff! I have such bad dandruff I had medicated shampoo, but this works better than that did. I mean, it doesn't really do a lot for the frizziness for your hair so I just use a different shampoo for that along with it and it works out well. My advisement with this is use a different shampoo/conditioner along with it to treat your hair, and use this to treat your scalp.

on 4/6/2012 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this thinking when my scalp acts up I will use it. I decided to give this a try one evening and it took several days for the smell to go away. I will keep it for really bad scalp issues, but my regular Head and Shoulders seems to be keeping those at bay. I probably will never use it again and I only used it once. I am very sensitive to scents and this was horrible. Aside from the scent...it probably really helps those with extreme scalp issues and for that perhaps I would recommend this to at least try. Its ok, but will not be purchasing this ever again and probably will never use the bottle I have.