Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++

4.4

Water, Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl Methacrylate/Sodium Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Acrylate Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Stearate, Agar, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrus Grandis, Citrus Medica Limonum, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Xylitol, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Fragrance

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

An OK sunscreen, if you don't mind alcohol. (It's second on the ingredient list, which is mildly troubling to me. You read all about alcohol in skincare online and make your own conclusions.)

The texture is refreshing. At first, it applies to a dry, matte finish, which is a good for my very oily skin. You feel a slight cooling sensation. But as the day goes on, I notice that it's a little too drying. I tend to have dry spots from acne medications, and this sunscreen will accentuate or make them worse. Paradoxically, It doesn't really control oil either. Over the long run, it did make me break out, so if you have acne-prone or sensitive skin, be cautious trying this formula.

If you have normal to oily skin, this formula might work for you. Personally, I don't like the high alcohol content in it, so I stick with Paula's Choice sunscreens (which are like watery Asian sunscreens without alcohol or fragrance). It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The perfect sunscreen. Lightweight and non greasy. None of thay icky sticky feeling most sunscreens have. No white sheen or white cast either. I have tried so many sunscreens before (Clarins, Shiseido, Kiehl's...etc) and this one beats them all. Too bad can't find it in New Zealand so I bought (hoarded, ha ha ha) 5 tubes when I was overseas.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

A perfect sunscreen. I've gone down a sunscreen path many have taken - for a while I used different La Roche Posay sunscreens, which all left my face feeling and looking greasy, and then tried Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer line, which I liked more than LRP although it left a sliiiiiight white cast. After a bit of research I found this Biore sunscreen and I'm never turning back! It absorbs quickly, the smell is unoffensive, and I never end up looking shiny OR dusty.

I love this sunscreen. It offers high uva and uvb protection but is so lightweight, i cannot feel it on my skin. It absorbs quickly, does not break me out and does not affect the finish nor longevity of my foundation. It also feels great on the skin upon application. Cooling and light like water. Best i have ever tried. Holy grail.

I have sensitive, combination, acne prone skin. I'm in need for sunscreen and this one got nice reviews so i gave it a try. However, I used it for two days only because it doesn't suit me. At first, it gives nice feeling to my face the moment i apply it. But then my face itches on certain spot and looks dull after half/one hour application. The next day my face looks terrible, i got bumps and red spots on my cheeks...:( Pros: -smells nice -lightweight -spread nicely -absorb fast to skin Cons: -broke me out :'(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Acne-prone people: please beware!

This sunscreen unfortunately breaks me out like no other. I am so disappointed as I absolutely ADORE the finish it gives. It dries really quickly, is non-sticky and works well under makeup. It also offers high uvb and uva protection and is cheap compared to other SPF products out on the market. I thought this was going to be a HG product for me but it just does not agree with my skin. Where I applied it, I broke out with red pimples and it clogged my skin.

Due to the rave reviews online, I really tried to love this but the breakouts are just not worth it. I'm now considering turning to physical sunscreens (particularly zinc oxide), instead of chemical sunscreens, as they tend to irritate sensitive acne prone skin less.

I like to use this on my body rather than face because I find it stings (probably due to alcohol), but other than that, I like the watery lightweight texture, it's not greasy and has no white cast.

I would only repurchase it if I was in japan because buying it here in Australia is $20 and I can buy sunscreen with more product with that price here.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I wanted to love this product, because the texture is smooth and beautiful, there was no white cast, and it soaked into my skin like a dream. But my dry, sensitive skin was really irritated by the alcohol. Everywhere I applied this ss I turned red and it itched like crazy. I'm also kind of glad it didn't work out, because I can't really afford to buy this every month. It's such a small bottle that covering your face and neck would wipe it out monthly.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This sunscreen is amazing! I have tried a lot of the best rated sunscreens in the states (La Roche Posay, Neutrogena, Vichy, etc..) and none can compare to this. This contains only two sunscreen actives; octinoxate and uvinol a plus. This is great because I don't experience any sensitivity. The texture of this sunscreen is like a light hydrating gel cream. Works well under makeup on my combination skin. It's so perfect! It doesn't smell like sunscreen and has a PA++++ rating so I am getting good UVA protection. It's super cheap on Amazon too!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This is the first sunscreen I have ever not dreaded wearing.

I am an NC43(?), combination skin that breaks out easily. I have abandoned American sunscreens due to the chemical types irrtating my sensitive & reaction-prone skin, and physical types not being the best fit for a darker complected individual (titanium and zinc oxides leave a blue-gray cast on my skin). I don't wear heavy foundation and didn't care to pack on the powder each day to tint out the ZnO / TiO sunscreens.

After a brief stint with an oily offering from La Roche Posay I stumbled on this brand and decided to take a chance after reading an off-site review.

The stuff is heavenly.

Though I haven't had success with Japanese sunscreens in the past (Shiseido, Sun Bears, Hada Labo), Biore's Water Essence has been a home run for me. It goes on cool and slightly shiny (cosmetic companies usually call this 'dewy' - haha!) but within minutes my skin has absorbed the stuff and it is dry to the touch. I wear sheer powder or tinted moisturizer most days and find no adverse reaction to putting either on over the sunscreen. The sunscreen really does feel like a splash of cool water with a hint of orange peel - it's actually PLEASANT! Imagine that!!!

My primary motivation for increasing my sun protection has always been cosmetic - I have had issues with a perimeter unevenness around my forehead and outer cheeks where my hair meets my face - I have noticed after about a week of Biore's sunscreen that the darker perimeter has faded considerably -- either a psychological impact of reapplying sunscreen because I now actually LIKE the product I'm using, or a benefit of using sunscreen originating from a county with the more stringent PA+ system --- I'm guessing a mix of both.

Overall the sunscreen is a decent staple. It's an import and the entire packaging is written in kanji with a bit of romanji for the company name and sunscreen rating. It's OK, though -- you can find ingredients list translations here and on a couple of bloggers on the web. I purchased this from an Amazon store and paid $9.50 to have it shipped (2-day via Prime) to my door, sans issue. The lot is recent. Only complaint is the tiny 50g tube it comes in - for a comparable $9.99 you'd be getting 100g+ of the Neutrogena stuff (though in my case I'd also be getting some whiteheads to remove after a few days - yuck). I'd recommend buying off of the eBay sellers, who charge about $6-8 a tube, but ship directly from Japan as well. Had I known how fast I'd go through this stuff I would have bought the twin pack (~$20) that Amazon also offers. For such a little amount and the hassle of locating, checking the lot date and origin and ordering, I've subtracted a bit from the score.

BTW, here is the full ingredients list (courtesy of an Amazon reviewer):

I'd note that the second ingredient in there is alcohol - my skin doesn't mind it, but my AM regimen does have a separate moisturizing step, and my combination skin tends towards oily. If you have dry, normal or mature skin, or tend to use sunscreen as a moisturizer + sun protection, you may want to try and sample this one before you buy it. Also, I've tried this in cool, fall New England weather. I don't sweat much when outside this time of year - I'll have to update it's resiliency to sweat (water) in the summer.

Bottom line: great, everyday sunscreen - looks like I've finally found something I'll be repurchasing.