Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++

4.4

on 4/17/2015 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Unfortunately this sunscreen only gets 2 lippies from me because it isn't a very strong sunscreen (The 2 lippies that it does get is because it doesn't cause breakouts). If you tan, you will tan when using this sunscreen like you aren't wearing sunscreen at all. This means that despite its high SPF rating and okay PA rating, UVA rays (which cause tanning) are still getting through to your skin and causing sun damage. I don't burn in the sun so I don't know how well this product protects against this but just from the fact that it doesn't protect against UVA rays (which penetrate the skin deeper than UVB rays and are the major cause of skin aging and skin cancer) is enough to turn me off from this sunscreen. The purpose of using sunscreen is to protect your skin after all! I also wouldn't recommend using this sunscreen on the beach, since it doesn't seem to be sweat or water resistant at all.
People love this product because it is very light and sheer but they might as well splash water on their face instead. It would also be light, sheer, provide no sun protection and be significantly cheaper. ;)

on 4/17/2015 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I have been using this product for a few years now on and off.

What I like: Its light and not greasy at all. Easy to spread and does not leave any grey cast or any tint. Does make my oily face matted

What I don't like: It's not water proof. I sweat like crazy. And it melted along with my moisturizer, not cool at all. Will not recommend for hot and humid days.

Why I still buy it?
I like the light texture, using it on days I don't need to commute using public transport and I use it on my body on days I forgot to put on before going out.

on 4/16/2015 2:36:00 PM

Since my skin is break out prone, I have a very hard time finding a good sunscreen that doesn't leave me with acne. Since checking the ingredients out at cosdna.com and finding that this looked good, I've purchased it a few times off of amazon. It's a very light, airy sunscreen that disappears into skin without being heavy or leaving a white cast. The texture is like a gel-lotion.

However, I don't believe the SPF 50 rating, it performs more like a SPF 10 or 15. It's water based, and *not* water resistant, so it's not suitable for beach use, or if you will be sweating due to exercise or hot weather (*not* resistant to water, sweat or sebum! ). I have made the mistake of using it under those conditions and have gotten burned, with this sunscreen melting into my eyes to boot, so be warned. Not sure if this is the case with the updated formula or not. Also, despite the ingredients looking good on cosdna, I still get a few red bumps with this. Overall, it's okay for when you need light protection.

on 4/3/2015 12:11:00 AM

*Please be aware that this (Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50) has been updated to a formula with PA++++ (4+s instead of 3 +s) - this updated formula just came out in April 2015. My review below (as well as the rest of the reviews) is for the version with PA+++ (3 +s).

MOST people (except dry skin) will find this sunscreen AMAZING for day needs - thus the 5 lipsticks (although I will not repurchase this for reasons in next paragraph). This sunscreen feels like a DREAM: light, silky upon applying with a wonderful nice fresh scent! After application, this dries quickly leaving a lovely finish, not messing up your layers of skincare underneath & plays well with makeup. It's even very affordable ($12 or less for 1.7 oz). This sunscreen is probably IDEAL for most skin types (except very DRY skin | for people who do not want to tan | people who need a waterproof sunscreen as this will run right off you when you sweat). I WISH I could keep buying this for the rest of my life and call it a day but...

The ONLY 3 reasons I would NOT buy this again:
1) Despite the SPF 50, I TAN more w/ this (compared to other sunblocks) - this sunblock does not provide enough Sun protection for me (much less than my SPF 30 sunblocks). Although the SPF 50 PA+++ would not indicate so, my face TANS more with this. I prefer my skin to stay as light as possible (I'm Korean) so I'm a bit more OCD about my face darkening than most people.
2) This is not water resistant or water proof AT ALL. My face tends to perspire in the summer and this sunblock will run right off on a humid day.
3) VERY Drying - I find this sunscreen VERY drying to the point that my face is uncomfortably TIGHTENING up (ouch!) and sometimes STINGS so I need to apply moisturizer on top of this during the day. To be fair, my skin is very dry however the 2 sunscreens below do not make my skin more dry like the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence.

I will stick to my: 1) Biore UV Moist Face Milk SPF 50 (water-resistant) and 2) Hada-Labo UV Whitening Emulsion SPF 50. Shiseido Anessa Sunscreen is lovely as well but 2-3x more expensive than the Biore UV. These sunscreens feel like nothing on my face, dry down quickly (hada-labo is slightly more moist but it is allegedly more moisturizing) and my face has minimal tanning and my skin does not feel dry with these. They also leave a matte to semi-matte finish (although I have DRY skin, I can't stand a shiny greasy face after applying sunscreen).

1) One of the BEST REVIEWS of this product (and many others) can be found FROM this skincare BLOGGER WEBSITE: skinandtonics.com - extensive, HONEST, super smart with breakdown of ingredients, etc. and what they do to your skin. Her reviews are much too long to ever be on makeupalley but I have found her reviews extremely helpful and have led me to make excellent, effective purchases for my skin. When you read her reviews, you feel like a friend is speaking to you. Her new reviews stopped in late 2014 but the website is thankfully still up & her reviews are still SO helpful and relevant.

2) Another very handy skincare blogger website for Japanese sunscreen is: ratzillacosme.com and her link is below for the review:
She does extensive reviews on Japanese Sunscreens - so many to pick from yet so many get discontinued. Her reviews will state if the sunscreen is discontinued, updated - "2015 formula") etc.

*Please be aware that this (Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50) has been UPDATED to PA++++ (4+s instead of 3 +++). This should insure that you will not get old stock when you order this online. It is a pain that JAPANESE sunscreens do NOT have a date stamped on the bottom (like US & Korean sunscreens do). Luckily as many Japanese sunscreens have updated their formulas to PA ++++ (4+s instead of 3+s) in the past year, that should be very helpful that you are not getting old sunscreen.

Past sunscreens I have tried (I do NOT like Western sunscreen as they are ALL too heavy/filmy/greasy for me):
*Leaves a slick shiny film on my face: DHC's Suncut Q10 SPF 30, Clarins UV 40, C. Dior Pure Snow UV 50 , La Roche- Posay Anthelios XL 50 (SUPER heavy & oily), Natura Bisse
*Stung my face: Ocean Potion SPF45, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 45
*Sucked the moisture/life out of my face: Skinceuticals Daily Sun Defense (good for oily skin?)
*Shiseido: Effective SPF but too scented, too drying, a little heavy

I am 49 yrs old, Korean, with dry skin since my mid 40s (but had combo/oily skin before). People who work in skincare (dermatologists, plastic surgeon nurses, aestheticians, sales people at Bergdorf, Barneys, Saks) think I'm 28-34 so I try to take care of my skin.

on 4/2/2015 7:24:00 PM

There just aren't enough words to describe how good this is. I stumbled across this little gem in a blog about the top 5 sunscreens. I was curious enough to order it online because you cannot buy it in Australia. Anyway, prior to this, I was using Neutrogena, but not anymore! This is a typical Asian sunscreen in texture. It is thin and spreads easily. However, it sets to a completely matte finish and stays that way all day. It is just about the best makeup primer I have ever come across. Our sun is vicious in summer in Australia and it also has to hold it's own as a good sunscreen. Well it performs magnificently on this count as well. All I can say, is "where have you been all my life"?

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I will never use another sunscreen other than this again. It is superior to all the Neutrogena ones, Clinique, and Clarins HP Sunscreen which i used for years before finding this. I live where its hot and sunny and definitely need sunscreen. I get oily very easy so i dread the though of putting on thick slimy sunscreen. This is basically a thinner than milk consistency and absorbs in 2 seconds. Ive been sitting in the sun at the beach this week and haven't gotten burned in the least. Most sunscreen breaks me out on my arms (maybe because many sunscreens are so thick?) but this is so thin i actually can't feel it after i put it on. Its perfect for me.

on 3/8/2015 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This as is as close to hg as I think I will get. No breakouts or clogs with it. It removes easily with my regular cleanser and it's not expensive. It has also been reformulated with a pa++++ which I still need to order but I do worry about that because of my acne prone skin. I am tempted to try out the watery gel as well which has the bonus of titanium dioxide I can't tell you how many sunscreens I've tried. From euro, us and other Japanese sunscreens. The only other one that my skin did OK with was the replenix sheer physical but something in it wasn't working for my skin. Other Japanese ss broke me out clogged me dried out my skin, left a white cast etc. Euro ss are thick and heavy ( as well as breaking me out, white cast). The only con is that it is not completely matte and it doesn't stay put if you sweat but it doesn't advertise itself too. For everyday use that's okay. I will say that I wish it would be fragrance free.

Update: 04/04/15 I'm currently testing out the Biore watery gel. It's only been 3 days. Hopefully all goes well. I thought I had checked the ingredients carefully but I realized the watery gel has some ingredients that may cause me some problems (cetyl alcohol being one of them). Hopefully it doesn't. I also ordered the Nivea uv creamy essence which I am waiting on. If not I will go back to this ss. I need more protection now that summer is approaching and being in Los Angeles. That's the only reason I'm testing others.

on 3/4/2015 1:40:00 PM

I felt the need to write this review because I just love it so much. I've gone through 4 bottles at least! I have combo dehydrated sensitive skin. This sunscreen feels light and dries satin-matte. It doesn't control oil nearly as well as Shiseido's sunscreen but Shiseido's is also much more drying and expensive. I also love that it has SPF 50 and PA+++ which means it's UVA/UVB broad spectrum. It's a must have for me in the summer! I wore it for my 8-day trip in Orlando, FL under the scorching sun and I barely got tanned!

on 3/4/2015 1:29:00 PM

This is the best sunscreen I have ever used. Which is to say, I hate wearing sunscreen and every other I've tried has been terrible, so if this is as good as it gets then I'm happy to use it. It's effective, dries completely matte with no whitecast, and the light citrus scent doesn't irritate my skin or eyes (I use it on my eyelids with no issues). I have pretty dry skin and it is definitely a tad drying, so I use a light moisturizer or serum underneath and that keeps the flakies away for the most part. Will repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

The reason I picked up this stuff is because I heard it's a tried and tested favourite in Japan, and knowing how picky Japanese women are when it comes to sun protection, I decided to try it for myself. If you hate sunscreen this is definitely for you! Light, non greasy, softening and fantastic sun protection - what more could you ask for? What I love about this is how fast and easy it is to apply, how quickly it dries, and best of all: absolutely zero residue or cast. In fact, this stuff is so light, it felt like I wasn't wearing any sunscreen at all - and I kept reapplying it just to be safe. I spent a week trudging around in the baking hot sun of southern France: I have extremely sensitive skin that burns incredibly easily and was worried about painful sunburn, but this stuff worked like a charm! This also makes a great makeup base because it soaks up excess sebum and leaves a matte but silky smooth finish, even on extremely dry skin like mine. Great stuff. I'll be using it again this summer.

Top Rated Biore Products