April 20, 2014 | 1831 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:37:00 PM More reviews by wasaaabi

Highly recommend sunscreen! I have used many other brands including Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, Biore and Mecca and this is my favourite face sunscreen so far! Yes it does leave a white ish cast on the skin but if you are fair skinned it actually leaves your face with more coverage (my face looked more radiant and pigmentation was slightly covered). My skin also breaks out to certain types of asian sunscreens which usually have the same texture being milky (i.e. Biore), but this was fine for me! PROS: very light on skin once absorbed, doesn't seem to cause pimples, good protection, fairly neutral smell- no perfumes! CONS: white cast for some skin types, feels slightly oily upon application but this goes away quickly, have to rub in sunscreen quite quickly otherwise the white ish cast may set funny. 9/10

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Teruma

It leaves a whitish cast, it accumulates on creases, it has a weird metallic smell. Whenever I'm wearing it I'll think "what's that funny smell?" and then I remember it's me, it's my face that smells.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this as an upgrade to my regular spf 30 while trying to fade some hyper-pigmentation.

Overall this is a decent product but I wouldn't repurchase or recommend it if your needs are cosmetic. As for sun protection - none of my hyper-pigmentation got any worse, new break-outs didn't leave dark marks, nor did I tan as much as usual during summer so I'm going to assume that it worked very well. I have super oily skin and this didn't break me out or make the oiliness any worse than it was before. For a liquid I was expecting it to sink in better, but because its a physical ss it kinda sits on the face for hours and doesn't fade or sink in well at all. Its visible and obvious on the skin for at least 2 hours after being applied. I liked the bottle, which is less cumbersome than it looks in pictures and for such a high spf physical ss the scent wasn't strong and didn't linger.

Where this product failed for me is its appearance on the skin. If you are dark skinned (I'm NC43/NC45 for reference) then this foundation doesn't leave a 'white cast' is leaves an oddly solid shade of 'whiteish-purplish-grey' mask. I had to use so much foundation to correct this colouration that it completely un-did my original intentions when purchasing - which was fading hyper-pigmentation sufficient that I could go comfortably without foundation.

Its not a bad product but if you are looking for something cosmetically elegant then this isn't for you, that goes double if you have dark skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I bought this after hearing the hype of La Roche Posay sunscreens. Looks like we all bought the wrong one : (

This gave me heavy greasy skin, interfered with blending my make up, and serious white cast in photos. I would save it for my chest, but I don't want my face to be super dark compared to my chest : ( Waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by slk431

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Yes, it does have a whitish cast, but it subsides after application. What I like about this is the subtle matte finish and the fact that there is no stinging at all on my roseacea-prone skin. It's kind of a thin liquid, but that makes it easy to apply and ensure even coverage. If I'm not doing anything special I can almost feel like I can skip putting on makeup.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2012 8:21:00 AM More reviews by mommygirl5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I like that this has spf 50...but that's about it. It just "sat" on top of my skin. Felt greasey and made my makeup look gross after an hour. It also caused major clogs on my chin. Will not be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by H20girl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Was having problems with sunscreens stinging, burning and causing rashes so my allergist recommended this to tide me over while my skin calmed down. Ordered from Amazon for $24. for 1.7oz/50ml so it is very expensive. Very light weight almost watery in texture which makes it easy to apply. Probably the easiest sunscreen I have ever applied, it goes on like a moisterizer. It does leave a white cast but I am very white so this is not a problem for me. Unlike other sunscreens the white it leaves behind did not travel to my clothes or beach towel. It did not aggrivate my skin which is a huge plus but it did not give me the coverage I need for long periods of summer sun exposure. Saw more color and freckles than I get with sunscreens that I can use when my skin is not acting up. I plan on using the remainder of the bottle in the winter when I need less coverage. Has a slight medicinal smell which I don't like but this dissipates so that is not a big problem.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After hearing about the hype about this sunscreen, I decided to replace my tried and true Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen with this. It just doesn’t compare. Anthelios 60 formula is super light, spreads evenly, absorbs quickly, isn’t greasy or sticky. This version is thicker and gritty, and it doesn’t spread as nicely. It does have a whitish cast, but that does subside, somewhat when you really blend it in; however, after a few hours in heat and humidity, the sunscreen slides on the skin and collects in corners (like the inner elbow) and there’s a white line in the crease of the skin (not attractive). Even though this is the “gentle” mineral formula, this caused me to have an eczema breakout (weird, I know). I immediately switched back to La Roche-Posay’s Anthelios 60 and I won’t stray from it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by luxed2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I just have to comment on the below review stating this could not possibly have spf 50 with 11% titanium dioxide. Very uninformed review. Multiple particle sizes and a special antioxidant boost both the uva & uvb protection. Also, I doubt LRP would make this claim if it weren't true. I use the tinted version of this currently but I have also used the non-tinted one. I've tried practically every physical sunscreen out there and this sunscreen provides one of the highest protection levels against burning & pigmentation, better than sunscreens with high % of zinc oxide. Same deal w/Skinceuticals PF which also uses multiple particle sizes & a special antioxidant.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2012 7:28:00 PM More reviews by cboylove

How is 11% titanium dioxide going to provide SPF 50? Even if you used the whole tiny bottle on your face it still wouldn't provide adequate UVA protection. It also leaves a white cast. Skip this and get Anthelios 60 or the SPF 15 one by LRP. Disappointed.

**Titanium dioxide scatters and reflects light. It provides adequate UVB protection but it does not completely protect you from the UVA rays like zinc oxide, avobenzone, ecamsule...etc. Yeah you won't burn but you might as well use an old sunscreen that doesn't block UVA rays.