December 21, 2014 | 1889 users online

Styling Products - Alterna - Alterna Bamboo Smooth - Kendi Oil

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 12:25:00 AM More reviews by fongyukyuu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is my first hair oil and I'm not super impressed. After doing a ton of research on here, Sephora, Ulta, Amazon, TotalBeauty, I settled on this. I have long east Asian hair that waves easily and is somewhat prone to frizz with an extremely oily scalp. If you're looking for a nourishing "oil" for you hair, beware that this is really just a chock full of silicones rather than actual oil. I don't have a problem with that, so here goes... I've only applied a dime size dot to towel-dried hair and after blow drying and/or air drying, I don't really notice a difference in my hair. I first started off with 2-3 drops since my hair is prone to flatness, but I've graduated to a dime-size with no problem. After applying to my damp hair, I do feel that my hair is super smooth and slick, but after drying, my hair looks normal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2014 4:12:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

The best hair product i've used!

I have extremely dry, fine and slightly frizzy hair, nothing has worked as well as this. I received a sample of this and only used it as a leave in hair oil. The texture is that of a runny oil, smells amazing! and does not feel greasy. My hair has never felt softer!!! After my sample ran out, i'm back to my other hair serum. My hair was not as soft as when i'm using Kendi oil...

This can be used as a treatment oil, 1 - 2 times a week or as a leave in hair oil after shampoo.

I've just ordered a full size :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 8:13:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love that this comes with a dropper. It makes it easier to get the amount I need without being wasteful. It has a nice fresh scent that lingers decently and it feels very light on my hair. It gives my hair a smoother appearance with a healthy shine. I apply it to damp hair and either use it as a leave in or as a style prep as mentioned on the bottle. This is pretty pricey at $25 but so far I am loving the results I am getting from it. I will definitely try adding this to my conditioner as one reviewer suggested and see what happens. I like the softness it imparts without making my hair greasy. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my 2nd deluxe size sample and I must say I will be going full size before I run out of this. Reason being this is one of the best oils I have ever used on my hair. It makes my hair so soft,manageable, and shiny. A little goes a very long way if I'm going natural my hair is super wavy this makes my waves look smooth and polished. It gives me a good hair day every time I use it. When I straighten my hair I use this before I straighten and then after for some shine and extra softness. What I love about this is it's super light so it's hard for your hair to get greasy when used properly.

It has a light fresh scent and it truly works on my very unruly hair! A couple spritzes to my problem area's and my hair looks and feels amazing. I especially love how soft and shiny my hair looks when I use this. I cannot recommend this enough for ladies with thick,moisture starved hair. It has done wonders for mine and I couldn't be happier with a styling product. I really love this oil and in conjunction with the Amika Oil Treatment. I am very happy with this product it works great for my waist long, thick, blonde hair. I couldn't be more happy with a hair product. I also love how you can use it on wet or dry hair. Either way it works excellent for my hair so I'm loving this.:) Most Definitely Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 12:18:00 AM More reviews by freya323

This stuff has changed my hair. It's like a miracle oil. I have lots of long, fine, wavy hair. I use it on damp hair before blowdrying, then again before curling or straightening, and again after styling to smooth and add shine. My hair never, ever feels weighed down, and the difference it makes in smoothness and shininess is immediately apparent. It has a nice, light scent. The dropper applicator is great because you can get down to the very last drop in the bottle. My last bottle, which I used all the time, lasted me about three months, so it is worth the money. I just bought my second bottle and decided to get the Bamboo Anti-Frizz shampoo and conditioner as well because I'm so impressed with this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have fine, dry hair. As long as I don't use too much, it softens and adds shine to my hair with a light scent. I apply only one or two drops to my chin length damp hair and my hair is frizz free for the whole day. The 1.7 oz bottle will last quite a while as you only need a tiny bit. Update: Have discovered Ojon rare oil blend and for some reason, it works so much better for me than this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 10:22:00 AM More reviews by izzybella

This smells amazing! This is recommended for medium to thick hair, so I have to be careful not to use too much on my fine hair. However, that just means that my sample will last that much longer. I applied a small amount to my ends before straight ironing and my hair felt amazingly smooth and thick. My ends were a little dry prior to application, and this oil definitely remedied that. I'm going to try this as a treatment oil next, but so far I'm a fan!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got a large foil packet of this hair oil as a sample from Sephora (the cashier just tossed it in with my purchases). I'm a fan of hair oils generally, I really like this one. I use it after shampooing, on damp hair and I use considerably more than the instructions suggest but I have thick, coarse hair that can handle a fair bit of oil and not look anything but smooth and silky. But used sparingly, I think this oil would be excellent for those with thinner or finer hair. It's lighter than my current favourite hair treatment oil from Ojon (that has become my "HG" hair oil) but Kendi Oil is a really nice product as well and it has a very pleasant scent that lingers just a bit (but enough to capture my attention on my freshly washed hair). I would certainly purchase a full size of this when I get close to running out of the various oils I already have (several bottles of Moroccan Oil, a bottle of Macadamia Oil, an almost full bottle of Mythic Oil, Ojon Restorative Serum....like I said, I'm a real fan of hair oils/serums)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by ketidule

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this and loved it. That´s why I bought the whole bottle. But after a while it started losing it´s effect. My hair is dry and somewhat damaged and I look for moisture and nourishment from leave-in treatments. Immediately when I apply it it still makes my hair a little softer, but this is nowhere visible after a few hours. Will not repurchase. Kerastase wins over Alterna any day.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by AgeJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My sister is a hairdresser, so for every birthday or Christmas she always gifts me new products to try out.
Last birthday she gave me the 1.7 oz bottle of this oil, and I've had a few months to try this out.

Compared to other oil treatments, like Moroccan oil and other argan oils, this is quite light-feeling in the hair.
I have been using it as a leave in treatment on my damp hair after washing it, and while I think that's not necessarily the way you're meant to use it, it seems to work for me.

Because this is nice and light, it is perfect at smoothing and moisturizing.

I initially thought the dropper dispenser was going to be really annoying, but it actually allows complete control over how much you dispense, I never ever waste product.

Two reasons why this isn't a five-lippies product is;
1. The price. Although I got this as a gift, the 1.7 oz bottle costs upwards of $24 is quite a lot. So far this product has gone a long way, but still.

2. I don't find this to be as moisturizing as my beloved Macadamia Oil Healing Oil Treatment. I think this is meant to be the same as those types of treatments, but I still wish this product could do a bit more.

Overall, this is amazing, and if you have thinner hair this is definitely for you!