April 20, 2014 | 1696 users online

Shampoo - John Masters - Bare Unscented Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 5:51:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I brought this because I have sensitive scalp and sulphate free. But my scalp itched almost as much as a regular scented sulphate shampoo and it made my hair ends very frizzy and dry. It also irritated my eyes everytime even though I was sure each time not to get shampoo near them - this makes me annoyed as it never happens to me with other brands! Even though it is thick I needed to use more a time than my other sulphate-free shampoos, so I went through the bottle very quickly, making it a very expensive mistake. Two shampoos I recommend are the Avalon Organics (both unscented and lemon) really good and inexpensive, or Akin unscented for a slightly higher price if you have oily fine hair or need deep cleaning (this one needs a little more conditioner as it cleans well).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by pulidobl

Surprised at the negative reviews for this shampoo, This is my favorite non sulfate shampoo I've tried no matter what the brand. It cleans well and leave my hair full of volume and soft. My scalp likes it too. No itchyness like with JMO's Evening Primrose or Acure's shampoos (all). The ingredient list shows no essential oils I'm aware of. I would definitely repurchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Manue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I do like this shampoo. I guess you need oily hair and sensitive skin to appreciate it. It is the cheapest of the JMO shampoos, and it lathers nicely. I'm not crazy about the ingredient list, there are some unknowns there, but finding a shampoo that works is such pain, that I give it a pass. I use it with the JMO intensive conditioner and get good results (as good as they get with natural shampoo and oily hair I'm afraid).

Ingredients:
Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), decyl glucoside, sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium cocoyl sulfoacetate, babassuamidopropyl betaine, panthenol, guar hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, hydrolyzed soy protein, sodium pca, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, arginine, serine, threonine, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* oenothera biennis (evening primrose) oil,* soy tocopherols, symphytum officinale (comfrey) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* lavandula angustifolia (lavender) flower/leaf/stem extract,* urtica dioica (nettle) root extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* achillea millefolium (yarrow) extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) extract,* salix alba (willow) bark extract,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2013 10:35:00 AM More reviews by EcoPretty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ack! This was AWFUL! I've never had a shampoo leave my hair such a mess, in such a short time. It made my hair looked stripped and limp, flat on top but and frizzy/parched on the end. While visiting my parents this past weekend, my mom even commented that my hair looked "really dry!"

I gave this two stars instead of one only because it lacks the irritating essential oils that most organic products contain. But it's back to Earth Science's Fragrance-Free shampoo, which I was using before this and liked (and is half the price as JMO)...

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by mellern

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I thought this would be a great sulfate-free unscented (hard to find!) everyday shampoo for my fine, think, oily hair. I wasn't too worried about it drying me out, since no shampoo has ever done that yet! However, now I know what others were talking about.... although the (lack of) smell and consistency of this shampoo are both very pleasing, this shampoo just wasn't good for my hair... It leaves my hair dry and tangly and limp... I don't like to waste products and I'm gonna finish it, but I can't WAIT until this little overpriced bottle is out!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by purityplease

So when I first started looking for "clean" and organic products to wash my hair John Masters was one of the first brands that I ran into. This product was a huge disappointment though. I did like the fact that it was a no frills added shampoo, it doesn't have a scent at all. However, my hair was so dry after I used this. I tried his other shampoos after, but I had the same reaction. Not sure what caused it, but I definitely won't be retrying this product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

An OK basic no-frills shampoo; I wouldn't throw it out of the bathroom, would use it again in a pinch, but I wouldn't rebuy it again in a hurry.

Clear, gel-like texture, needs to be emulsified in hands (with water) before use. It won't foam on a first application, will lather slightly on a second one; this is usual for many shampoos, depends on kind of detergents in the formula (ex., as here, no SLS or SLES).

Pro #1: it is indeed unscented. There is no scent to this stuff. There are some essential oil extracts--chamomile, lavender--but very far down the ingredient list; my skin is irritated (rash) by lavender above a certain amount, and this was definitely below it. But worth knowing it's there if you're more irritable than me...
A pro for those with scent issues: be that a personal dislike, or dermatological and respiratory irritation, intolerance, and full allergies. Also a pro for anyone who might want to add scent to their haircare, for a personalised tailored version: be that with a favourite scent (if you're OK with the alcohol in most scents), or using essential oils, and/or using hydrosols like rosewater.

Pro #2: no irritation. Irritable scalp here, with mild eczema (hence why using unscented minimalist hair stuff).

Pro #3: the cheapest of JMO's shampoos.

Pro #4: packaging. I particularly love the labelling and fonts. Beautifully minimalist.

Pro #5: it will clean hair. Usual method here: wash twice, first wash is an approximate one (to loosen dirt etc.), second wash more thorough--still being gentle though--with shampoo left on for a good 1-2 minutes; meanwhile washing rest of self in shower. Then rinse out, condition, leave in conditioner for a couple of minutes, rinse out, and a final blast of cold water to seal cuticles. Using this method, with almost all shampoos, hair will be clean. This one too.

Con #1: But hair was beyond clean: dried out, once I'd conditioned and dried hair (drying naturally). Admittedly, I've had similar results with every other JMO shampoo I've tried--evening primrose, zinc & sage--except one: the amazing but as amazingly pricey honey & hibiscus. (Haven't used the lavender & rosemary, for lavender reasons; not used the cider one, as I don't use anything that needs clarifying removal.). The feel of the Bare was very like that of the Evening Primrose, so if you liked that, you might well like this.

YMMV: a lot will depend on individual hair and scalp. Hair here: normal, slightly dry ends, long (beyond bra), fine, dense/thick, slightly wavy, strong (doesn't break easily) but prone to tangling. Scalp: slightly dry, prone to drying out, eczema, easily irritated, skin is also thin so easily scratched. The only post-wash stuff I use is Phytodéfrisant (also unscented), no blow-drying or other processing/interference.

Con #2: price/functional effectiveness relationship. Amongst other unscented shampoos, I've had similar (OK but not altogether satisfactory) results from Elave, E45, Free & Clear, Jason, Lavera Neutral, Nature Clean, Whole Foods own-brand 365, and indeed clarifying shampoos like the old (pre-J&J-takeover) Neutrogena one, which back in the day--20 years ago in the UK--was one of the only unscented shampoos available. The other two being E45 and the old Aveda unscented one you used to be able to buy from salons.

Slightly better results from Earth Science and Urtekram fragrance-free.

Best results of all from Avalon Organics Olive & Grapeseed fragrance-free moisturizing shampoo: which works out 1/4 of the price.

Costs CAD17.00 for 236 ml / 8 fl oz from JMO online; slightly cheaper in the US, and available in some health-food stores (WF for one) in the US. Cruelty-free, using organic, fairtrade, biodegradable ingredients where possible, recyclable packaging. Like most of the other JMO products, this one is also vegan.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), decyl glucoside, sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium cocoyl sulfoacetate, babassuamidopropyl betaine, panthenol, guar hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, hydrolyzed soy protein, hydrolyzed wheat protein. sodium pca, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, arginine, serine, threonine, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* oenothera biennis (evening primrose) oil,* soy tocopherols, symphytum officinale (comfrey) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* lavandula angustifolia (lavender) flower/leaf/stem extract,* urtica dioica (nettle) root extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* achillea millefolium (yarrow) extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) extract,* salix alba (willow) bark extract,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate
* NOP Certified Organic continued >>