April 20, 2014 | 1725 users online

Hair Color - La Riche Directions semi-permanent hair colour

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by megzlilj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So i used directions violet on my medium brown unbleached hair.
I was quite pleased. The pot was good, no messing around with preparing it before and stuff. One thing i would say is that i wish it came with gloves cos i ended up with purple hands! The product was reasonably priced (3.95 i think). It didnt damage my hair at all but left it silky soft, the best quality its been in a while. My unbleached medium brown hair turned a dark brown plum color with shimmers of pink, red, purple and blue but at a distance looked black. After about 2weeks it began to fade to a browny plum color.
Overall it is a great product but dont expect it to dye well on unbleached hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by xsharmine

I have dark brown-black hair as I'm asian, I dyed my hair a lighter brown using Liese bubble hair colour (I did NOT bleach) & used CERISE on my hair! The colour showed up surprisingly well despite the fact that I didn't bleach my hair. My personal tip is: 1) use it on overnight hair, not freshly washed. 2) spray/damp your hair with hydrogen peroxide (I use it to lighten my hair sometimes) then apply the dye while it's still damp with it. 3) I mix Cerise with conditioner in the ratio of 1:1, I put it on for about 45-50mins & washed it off in the shower. After my hair dries, it looks awesome! I also used Dark Tulip in the same method, but Cerise showed up better, I guess because it's a relatively brighter tone than dark tulip. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Jaychra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

So, I've coloured my hair with this 3 times... plum mixed with sfx wildflower turned an electric purple, violet on its own was similar but lighter and didn't stay as dark, and a plum/atlantic blue mix (photo5 above). All times it has been gentle on my fine, bleached hair, very vivid, and lasted well. Colour savers work well with it. I love this brand! Mixing with sfx was amazing too. Atlantic looks k-a on my white triple-bleached ends, will be trying more blues as I bleach more hair from honey to white. Hopefully lagoon blue will be next.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Moonfaerie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using Directions for nearly 2 years now,mainly the reds pinks and purples.
I've recently took the plunge and used Alpine Green its a really beautiful blue based green almost turquoise

I find it really easy to use,I bleach my hair to a light blonde rinse out the bleach and shampoo.Then apply the Directions dye,I usually leave it on for an hour or 2,some people leave it on overnight.It is a vegetable dye so doesn't harm your hair the longer its left on,in fact I find it really conditioning and my hair always looks and feels really good condition after use.

make sure you rinse it out as much as you can even though it says till water goes clear,I doubt it ever will.Be careful when sleeping and wearing light coloured clothing for first couple of weeks as it can stain.

Its also quite long lasting,varies between shades which lasts longer

Ive added pictures of 2 of my fave colours Rose Red and Alpine Green.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by miuization

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried this color in Carnation Pink. It's ok I guess. I bleached my hair to medium blonde but I should've gone even lighter. Color does not work on dark hair at all. You have to bleach your hair very fair to make color show. Pink is very vibrant first you apply it and stays like this until you wash your hair. It fades quite fast and if your hair is not paper white, you'll end up with peachy-orange hair until the pink completely vanishes (first pink fades in a week, then you'll have warm peachy-tinted hair for rest of the month and the it will be your natural hair again).

I probably wouldn't buy it again because the upkeep is too much to deal with and I can't be bothered to dye my hair after three washes to keep the pink the way I want to. I'll use up what I have left though.

On the good side - dye doesn't make your hair dry and I think it even conditions it. On the tub it says to rinse the color out after 15-30 min but you can keep it on longer, it doesn't do any damage, it only makes color show up better. One tub lasts for one use on shoulder length hair. If you dip-dye or use it for streaks, you can use it multiple times. For pastel shades you can use 1 part of conditioner and 2 parts of dye mixed together, but then you'll have to keep it on longer.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by maryycohen

I really wanted to like the Directions white toner after hearing so many positive reviews. I left the product on for 30 minutes (the instructions recommend 15) and when I washed and dried it all off I found that my hair was a bit whiter than before, but having read rave reviews about it giving you "crystal" white hair I was pretty disappointed. Bit pricey considering how little it does - 6 pound and each tub only contains enough for one use.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2011 6:36:00 AM More reviews by annac42

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use 'Carnation Pink' to achieve my pink fringe amongst my blonde hair (see profile picture) and I love it. I have bought this product over and over again for 6 months.
As I use it on a relatively small area of hair once a week (it gets paler quickly but doesn't fade out fully for three weeks), one pot lasts me about two months, which is great as it only costs 4.00! (It's cheapest on eBay - go there!)
Although in very pale hair this colour is quite bright just after dying, after a few washes it fades to the baby pink that I want to achieve.

I have also tried 'Pastel Pink' (pale baby pink that fades quicker than Carnation) and 'Cerise' (a deep fuschia that's a bit too bright in my blonde hair but would look great on brunettes!)

I would highly recommend this product as it's so easy to apply and they have such a huge range of colours to choose from!
(I prefer La Riche to Manic Panic any day)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 7:33:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The great thing about this product is that you don't need to mix anything to it - it is ready to use.

These dyes will stain your skin, so gloves are necessary for applying the colour - use two gloves instead of one because I swear the dye will magnetically become attracted to the naked flesh. I'm sure that I never touched the dye, but nevertheless I had purple fingers for a day or two. I'd also advise lining your hairline with Vaseline to protect from any dye dripping down and staining your face [yes, I had a purple forehead too].

Dying my whole head used the whole tub, as my hair is long and coarse. To be honest I could have used another half tub at least, as it took lots of massaging the dye in to cover my whole head. However depending on the length of your hair a single 88ml tub can last for several applications.

After rinsing the dye out [and not using shampoo or conditioner] I noted that my hair was very easy to detangle and comb, so the dye is conditioning. Another plus. I was surprised by the results - I wasn't really expecting it to work well on my unbleached hair, but my hair both darkened had a noticeable purple tinge. In daylight the colour was really vivid and my hair shone and looked healthy. A huge plus. I have grey hair at my roots and around my hairline and the dye coloured the greys a lilac shade, but then again every brand I've used has coloured my grey hairs lighter.

For the first three washes my shampoo foam would be violet - as would the water - so I'd always be convinced that my hair would be brown/red, but each time my hair would dry purple. After this the water would still be lilac each wash, but not strong enough to stain my skin. When the dye is freshly applied and your hair is damp it can stain your tops, pillows etc, so be careful.

After about two weeks the purple begins to noticeably fade (I do apply shampoo twice whenever I wash my hair, as it is annoyingly thick), but it fades gently in stages, so it still has a pretty colour to it. The tops of my hair faded faster the the mid-lengths and ends, but I personally like the gradient look it gave me.

After four weeks to top and mid-length look red in some light, pink in some and purple in others, but the bottom five inches was still medium purple. So making sure that you apply shampoo thoroughly over all of your hair evenly during washes is essential.

Over weeks five to six my hair colour began to fade more quickly; it faded to pink first, then gradually returned to the red I'd started out with. By the end of the six week period that LA RICHE is advertised as being suitable for, most of the dye had washed back out - except for the ends of my hair, which took over seven weeks to return to normal.

The downside; my grey hairs were the first part of my hair to return to normal - after those first three washes. As the greys are mainly around my face and on the undersides of my head it wasn't something that was apparent at first, but it did begin to bother me as the weeks went on. So that's something to bare in mind if you have a lot of grey hairs - if you do then bleaching your hair before using La Riche would be best.

I did like the Plum shade and I was tempted by the Flamingo Pink and the Violet shades, plus some of the blue shades look good too. However; after a few weeks my grey hairs really stood out to me and they make me slightly self conscious - I started going grey as a teenager but it's never really bothered me before as whilst other brands of dye colour it lighter, they do cover it. If you don't have greying hair I'd recommend trying La Riche as whilst it messy, it's non-damaging and allows you to try vivid shades without a long commitment.

One of the good things about the pots is that you can open them, test it out on a strand of hair and then just put the lid back on the tub and safely store it in your bathroom cabinet. All brands of dye advise that you do a strand test 48 hours before dying your whole head, but once you mix the dye you have to use it straightaway, so I tend to skip the strand test completely [I'm such a rebel].

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No