December 21, 2014 | 1620 users online

Cleansers - Giovanni - Purifying Face Cleanser (D:tox System)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by CamilliaZ82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was in search for a gentle,everyday, face wash when I spotted this at Marshalls for only $5.99. I've used Giovanni's hair products and loved them so I figured I would have similar results with this. This product didn't foam or lather the way I like for my washes to but it did leave my face feeling clean. It also caused me to break out with fine bumbs along my cheeks and forehead. I dont have sensitive skin and this is the first face wash to do this. I read that it could be from the ash in it. Needless to say, I WILL NOT be repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 4:46:00 AM More reviews by xxtine1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is just, well, meh....

Pros:
- Didn't irritate my sensitive skin.

Cons:
- I don't like the herbal smell
- Felt like it was a tiny bit drying for my dry skin
- Packaging is annoying, when kept in the shower the lid part fills with water

All in all. Really, just meh is the best word to describe this, it didn't do anything terrible, but it didn't do anything great either, I'd rather have something more moisturising for my skin. Used about 1/3 and giving the rest of it to my friend who has combo skin (and is a man).

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Annaksza

I can't wait to get through this bottle. I've been sharing it with another and alternating it with a better facewash by Mario Badescu. It doesn't make me break out but when this was my sole cleanser, it did.

I have to use this cleanser only once daily, at most three times a week. Otherwise, I'd have a reaction. It gets skin pretty clean but not as clean as Mario Badescu - and it's only like two dollars cheaper. When I compare how my cotton pad looks after toning skin when face is washed, there's more gunk on my face still when I use this charcoal wash. With MB really clear because the cleanser did its job.

I won't be repurchasing or recommending this cleanser. I've heard of other cleansers with charcoal that are good that don't make others break out, but I'm going to play it safe with the MB I found. No more of this charcoal trend for me. My skin is like "What the, what is th-what are you doing?!"

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 7:11:00 PM More reviews by rallu

I've used this twice and returned it because I had an allergy reaction. Tiny red itchy bumps all over my face. Didn't remove makeup very well either and made my eyes burn too. Also, I didn't like the packaging...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by acrobats

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been trying to update my skin care routine to get some pimples that were popping up under control. After trying a new cleansing brush with my existing cleanser I ended up buying this to use with it and it's a magical combination (but to be real, the brush was nothing without the cleanser so probably more the cleanser)!! it is great at removing makeup, and is really helping with my occasional blemishes. the smell is nice and fresh too. i love it! it unfortunately makes my sink pretty dirty but a problem I can live with :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by makeuplovexo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this cleanser. this is my favorite cleanser, and I've tried so many. it smells nice, not overpowering, and really cleans my face while being gentle. it's a tad pricey for a cleanser, but it's worth it to me so my skin doesn't break out

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2013 1:47:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pleasantly surprised by this. I had never used Giovanni skin care before but I adore the hair products. I bought a travel set from Wholefoods and this was one of the products inside. You can smell a bit of the charcoal I suppose and another note...just an odd scent imo that I can't really put my finger on. It cleans well despite the gentle foam and it left my skin soft, not irritated. It didn't leave my oily skin greasy or stripped. As others have said, it has great ingredients and I haven't suffered any congestion or breakouts. One thing that impressed me the most is that it didn't cause any problems with my eczema prone areas and it removed my foundation well. I love the color and consistency.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by kowaii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

First and far most this is a 100% cruelty free product, not final product, and the ingredients are not tested on animals, not only that but the company never gets third party testing and does not buy ingredients that have been tested on animals. Second, this is by far the best system I have EVER tried in my entire life, the cleanser and the step 3 moisturizer (did not get step 1 yet I will after trying these out), I m 29 and I have very dry skin....great find.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by fbmbassist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hands down, my go to cleanser. I'm in my late 20s, with sensitive acne-prone skin, and normal oil levels. This one always improves my skin the more I use it, whereas other cleanser irritate or don't clean well enough. This really does seem to cleanse your pores, and if you're wearing makeup or have clogged skin, I like to massage it before rinsing. The massage loosens stuff, and leaving it on longer actually moisturizes my skin MORE. It doesn't dry it out like other cleansers, and the ash/clay means it really cleans. It definitely works better than other "natural" cleansers that typically don't remove makeup very well. When I'm wearing movie/photography makeup, I cleanse twice, and my skin feels even softer the second time. Absolutely no film left behind, just clean and soft. The bottle is great because I always end up getting every drop out, but you have to be careful when dispensing it so it doesn't all flow out. I've re-purchased this 5 times already.

My only request is that they put less of the flowery scent in there. But it must be a natural fragrance, because my skin doesn't react to it.

For the few people who reacted/clogged pores, perhaps you're allergic to one of the ingredients? I have to say though, I don't like using it around my eyes, because I feel it tingling there, so there must be something strong-ish in there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 11:18:00 AM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like the other reviewer, I too was pleasantly surprised by this cleanser. I had run out of my HG cleanser, Simple Kind to Skin Refreshing Wash Gel, and they seem to have stopped selling it at Target so was desperate and needed something. I got this at TJ Maxx for 5.99. (it's been my strategy lately to buy more expensive brands discounted, rather than the DS brands, for the same amount of $$) The fact that the Giovanni D-Tox System cleanser doesn't foam much is a good indicator to me, because the Simple cleansing gel is the same way, and it seems to go along with the fact that it's a gentle cleanser. One of the great things about the Simple gel is it doesn't overstrip skin, and this Giovanni cleanser also does a good job of not overcleansing, I detect only the *tiniest* bit of "cleansed squeaky" feeling after use. It seems to be doing a decent job of keeping my pores clean, and over time has helped to calm and heal a cystic pimple on my chin that I got from using another cleanser. The packaging is clean and modern and I kinda like that it looks like Peter Thomas Roth, that seems to be good brand positioning. I haven't gotten to the end of the bottle but it seems like the upside down container will do a good job releasing the last bits of product. The only thing about the packaging is, I'm a trained graphic designer and just don't like the Giovanni logo! The font (based on Eurostyle) is outdated and in my opinion cheapens the overall look of their line, when their formulations are actually quite good. (If anyone from Giovanni is reading, I'd love to submit drafts of an alternative logo, please contact me! :)