Giovanni Purifying Face Cleanser (D:tox System)

3.9

Not tested on animals

Aqua (Purified Water), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Carbon (Activated Charcoal), Volcanic Ash, Iron Oxides, Phenoxyethanol, Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Polysorbate 20, Retinyl Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, Methyl Lactate, Sodium PCA, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, *Euterpe Oleracea (Acai Berry) Fruit Extract, *Lycium Barbarum (Goji Berry) Fruit Extract, *Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, *Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Natural Fragrance.

on 4/28/2015 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got this on a trip to NYC because my cleanser just wasn't cutting it anymore. It seemed to work really well the whole trip and I continued to use it after but I feel like it caused me to breakout. I tried to stick with it but the breakouts were just getting ridiculous. It made my skin really soft and moisturized though. I really did like this cleanser but I just can't risk getting more breakouts.

on 2/24/2015 1:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Charcoal like the stuff you find in water filters, but for your face, whatttt ??
If it's good enough for water, it's gotta be good enough for the face, right?
Yes and YESSSSS!
Good for my combo skin (drier on cheeks in winter, oilier in summer)
and non-irritating.

I really like the ingredients in this cleanser so it gets a 5-rating,
no parabens or sulfates AND has organic components.
It performs 3.5 as a cleanser. If you prefer squeaky clean, this
isn't it, sometimes I do want that.
That said, it does a decent job washing off makeup (sometimes
I wash 2x's if I do have a lot on).

Skin is not dry or irritated after towelling off skin so that is a big plus.
This is also probably why you can't get that squeaky clean feeling,
oh well, I'll take it :)

Smell: Watery fruity-herby. It's mild and not intrusive. I much prefer the scent in the step 2 scrub which is similar to Aveda products.

- - - - Ingredients List - - - -
Aqua (purified water), cocamidopropyl betaine, decyl glucoside, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), carbon (activated charcoal), volcanic ash, iron oxides, phenoxyethanol, lecithin, potassium sorbate, polysorbate 20, retinyl palmitate, xanthan gum, menthyl lactate, sodium PCA, vaccinium myrtillus fruit extract, saccharum officinarum (sugar cane) extract, acer saccharum (sugar maple) extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (Valencia orange) fruit extract, citrus medica limonum (lemon) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *euterpe oleracea (acai berry) fruit extract, *lycium barbarum (goji berry) fruit extract, *ficus carica (fig) fruit extract, *camellia sinensis (green tea) extract, natural fragrance.

*USDA Certified Organic

on 1/20/2015 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just finish an entire bottle of this cleanser. It was just okay. I didn't do anything good but it didn't do anything bad either. I have oily, acne prone skin. This cleanser did do a great job of washing away all of my oils on my face. It removes my face makeup nicely also. This didn't irritate my skin thankfully! I really prefer the Bioré deep pore charcoal cleanser over this one.

on 3/1/2014 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I was in search for a gentle,everyday, face wash when I spotted this at Marshalls for only $5.99. I've used Giovanni's hair products and loved them so I figured I would have similar results with this. This product didn't foam or lather the way I like for my washes to but it did leave my face feeling clean. It also caused me to break out with fine bumbs along my cheeks and forehead. I dont have sensitive skin and this is the first face wash to do this. I read that it could be from the ash in it. Needless to say, I WILL NOT be repurchasing.

on 1/26/2014 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This is just, well, meh....

Pros:
- Didn't irritate my sensitive skin.

Cons:
- I don't like the herbal smell
- Felt like it was a tiny bit drying for my dry skin
- Packaging is annoying, when kept in the shower the lid part fills with water

All in all. Really, just meh is the best word to describe this, it didn't do anything terrible, but it didn't do anything great either, I'd rather have something more moisturising for my skin. Used about 1/3 and giving the rest of it to my friend who has combo skin (and is a man).

on 12/24/2013 11:41:00 PM

I can't wait to get through this bottle. I've been sharing it with another and alternating it with a better facewash by Mario Badescu. It doesn't make me break out but when this was my sole cleanser, it did.

I have to use this cleanser only once daily, at most three times a week. Otherwise, I'd have a reaction. It gets skin pretty clean but not as clean as Mario Badescu - and it's only like two dollars cheaper. When I compare how my cotton pad looks after toning skin when face is washed, there's more gunk on my face still when I use this charcoal wash. With MB really clear because the cleanser did its job.

I won't be repurchasing or recommending this cleanser. I've heard of other cleansers with charcoal that are good that don't make others break out, but I'm going to play it safe with the MB I found. No more of this charcoal trend for me. My skin is like "What the, what is th-what are you doing?!"

on 11/1/2013 7:11:00 PM

I've used this twice and returned it because I had an allergy reaction. Tiny red itchy bumps all over my face. Didn't remove makeup very well either and made my eyes burn too. Also, I didn't like the packaging...

on 10/22/2013 10:20:00 PM

I have been trying to update my skin care routine to get some pimples that were popping up under control. After trying a new cleansing brush with my existing cleanser I ended up buying this to use with it and it's a magical combination (but to be real, the brush was nothing without the cleanser so probably more the cleanser)!! it is great at removing makeup, and is really helping with my occasional blemishes. the smell is nice and fresh too. i love it! it unfortunately makes my sink pretty dirty but a problem I can live with :)

on 10/22/2013 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this cleanser. this is my favorite cleanser, and I've tried so many. it smells nice, not overpowering, and really cleans my face while being gentle. it's a tad pricey for a cleanser, but it's worth it to me so my skin doesn't break out

on 8/29/2013 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Pleasantly surprised by this. I had never used Giovanni skin care before but I adore the hair products. I bought a travel set from Wholefoods and this was one of the products inside. You can smell a bit of the charcoal I suppose and another note...just an odd scent imo that I can't really put my finger on. It cleans well despite the gentle foam and it left my skin soft, not irritated. It didn't leave my oily skin greasy or stripped. As others have said, it has great ingredients and I haven't suffered any congestion or breakouts. One thing that impressed me the most is that it didn't cause any problems with my eczema prone areas and it removed my foundation well. I love the color and consistency.