Blue Magic Coconut Oil

2.7

on 6/8/2015 7:27:00 PM

I LOVE this product, although I do not recommend it to just anyone, simply because it's not for everyone. I am white, I have natural curly hair, which is why I believe I am so happy with it. Yes it is greasy, but I expected exactly that. I put it on my hair while dry, starting at the tips. I do not load it down either. I shower after 30 minutes and I use a detangle brush while in the shower. My hair is much softer and not at all frizzy after using this product. So advice to you ladies, it is NOT for everyone! Oh and if you're a curious person and wanna try it, use common sense and DO NOT USE TOO MUCH!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am trying to grow my hair, and I have heard that coconut oil is a major oil that helps with hair growth by reducing the split ends. I have used this product a few times, and I can see that my split ends look fuller, and my dry hair is now moisturized. Every time I apply this oil to my scalp, and massage it in, my scalp feels cooled down. I like the smell of this product, yet it is not too heavy. I used this after cleaning my hair with shampoo and conditioner, and I can see that it has reduced my frizz. I like this product for many purposes and highly recommend

on 12/18/2014 8:50:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I am a white girl but my hair behaves and misbehaves more like that of a black girl; I love my hair, but it does require a bit of maintenance. Most of my styling products over the years have been purchased in the "ethnic" hair care section of any given retailer. How dumb is that generalization anyway, huh? Despite the horrific reviews, this works for me, very well. I have been a bottle blonde, 40 volume peroxide with 12g lift color since, well, a long time ago. If I don't use a product heavy in weight after rinsing my hair I look like a yellow standard poodle on crack. I have tried many similar products and this one is inexpensive, moisturizing and makes my hair look like it belongs on a human head. I apply finger full from my ends UP, very little near the roots then I go to bed, I can't blow dry my hair, it just won't work for me, or any stylist brave enough ever to have had a go at my head. Yes, there is petroleum in it, coconut oil too, but not so much that I smell like I soaked my head in a vat of Hawaiian Tropic skin fry oil. Certainly if your hair is less than course textured this product is obviously not for you. Bonus for times when I am feeling lazy upon exiting the shower: it is a great body moisturizer (wouldn't put it on my face) especially in dry, cold Northeast winters. Bottom line, I would be delusional if I thought a product targeting fine hair would work for me. But if one has a mop of thick, curly, tangle-prone hair that is susceptible to breakage, this could be a real winner in your "tame the beast" arsenal.

Before I begin let it be known I'm an 33 year old Caucasian female. Now, it seems that ignorance is so common in the world today that nobody really 2nd guesses it. For example, I just read comments that where so ridiculous that I couldn't help but to post my opinion. Hold up, before anyone gets all excited the defintion of ignorance means "lack of knowledge" I wasnt calling anyone names. Anyway, I think what really confused me about all the negative feedback on this product was the fact nobody knew it was "grease" for hair. I'm not sure where some of the product was bought but any store I've ever been in, has this product in the ethnic aisle. That includes Walmart, CVS, etc. Maybe I'm more knowledgeable than most, who's to say, but I know I dont buy products in this aisle for my hair. If i did im 100% positive i wouldnt have results like i wanted. (Imagine that) So all the negative reviews that come from Caucasian women dont blame the product for mishaps, blame the person that bought a product not intended for your type of hair. I think its funny that its so easy for anyone to add a review for a product. My tip for these people is use the internet for research like its intended to be used. Educate yourself first, make sure your feedback is based on accurate facts for the a product intended for you. Its easy to be negative that's why so many people are. If I offended anyone with my opinion please let me know. I'm sure the negative feedback will be just as amusing as the ones for the product. Oh which BTW is a great product for the proper hair type.

on 6/3/2014 1:51:00 PM

this product surprised me.

one day i ran into a friend of mine who has very curly hair and not only did her curls look great (and SHINY) but she smelled amazing!

i asked her what perfume she was wearing and she laughed and said it must be 'Blue Magic'.

i had never heard of this before and went off to walmart and immediately bought a jar upon seeing the ingredients were petroleum jelly, coconut oil and fragrance.

i love both petroleum jelly and coconut oil and i love the smell of coconuts so this was perfect for me!

now at that time i had long mid back hair and i could only use it on the ends. however recently i cut my hair into a short pixie and now this product works great for my hair. i have fine-medium cacausian hair and i use it after washing my hair or after dampening my hair first.

it only takes a tiny bit - enough to give a sheen to my hands.

my favorite use however is for my skin. i love it as a facial cleanser! i use it like i would cold cream... or the oil cleansing method! i rub in a generous amount and let it sit as long as i have time for and then wipe it off with tissues and sometimes a warm wash cloth after. you wouldn't believe all the dirt (and dead skin cells!) that get wiped away on that tissue!!!

i also use it on my feet and hands and pretty much all over since it works so well and i love the smell.

years ago i had found that coconut oil by itself wasn't enough for me and could even be kind of drying for my hair and skin. adding the petroleum jelly makes it perfect for me.

and so cheap! a winner :) i say try it! you can always use it on your feet! it smells yummy and soaks in quicker than plain petroleum jelly or the cocoa butter version.

i find it amusing that people buy this expecting it to be pure coconut oil. READ the ingredients! petroleum jelly is the first one!!! the ingredients of ALL products are listed in order of the amount contained. so with this one petroleum jelly is the dominant ingredient with coconut oil next and then finally fragrance.

you can't go by what the front of labels tell you. they just post key words to get your attention. read the ingredients - usually on the back or side of jar/bottle, etc.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

DON'T YOU DARE BUY THIS! I should've looked at these reviews before buying this. I always look at the reviews first before buying products, don't know why I didn't look this time. I put quite a lot in my hair and left it in for like 30 minutes before washing my hair. Next morning it didn't come out so I washed it again. It's been like 3 days of having this grease in my hair. I need to buy dawn dish soap (very harsh) and lemon juice (harsh with acids) and baking soda (you get the picture) in order to get this out. I'll continue to wash and do these methods until it looks decent. My hair looks like I haven't washed it in years. Just buy natural 100% coconut oil like I should've in the first place.

I bought this product because my favorite drug store was going out of business and this was basically free and the last jar on the counter. I figured "Well if people are taking it so fast, it must be a decent product." I was wrong. I quickly opened the lid and saw the product. I knew that coconut oil was solid at room temperature, so I figured that this product must just be pure coconut oil and currently solid, but I wasn't going to touch it before buying it! When I got home, I went to take it out of the jar and realized it was sticky. I read the ingredients and realized it was petroleum + coconut oil, so i figured that I might as well try it, coconut oil is supposed to work wonders anyway. Well, it left my hair greasy for days, and no amount of shampoo could get it out. It turns out this product is PURE petroleum jelly with coconut SCENT. Maybe this would work for boys trying to use a TINY TINY bit to spike their hair or something. When it was all out, my hair did seem a little shinier but in my opinion, all that work wasn't worth it. If you want my advice, stay away unless you have a use for pleasant smelling petroleum jelly!

on 9/8/2013 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

To reviewer below - sorry to hear that. :( try "pre-pooing" generously with a natural oil like olive oil or jojoba oil to help loosen the residue it left. Sometimes only oil removes or loosens oil. After that, try co-washing with a good cheap conditioner like V05 to get it out. Finally, finish with a clarifying shampoo that will completely stirp any other residue, use something commercial like V05 Kiwi or Suave Clarifying, both are under $2. Each step in that order should help to loosen and remove the sticky gummy residue it is leaving.

My mom used to use this grease on my brother's hair when he was little and I remember him being 2 and having globs of it in his hair after playing with the jar. :) That said, I see no value for this or ANY grease whatsoever in my life, especially when you can use a real coconut oil or any other great multiuse oil (olive, jojoba, argan, almond, etc.) - and must give this 1 lippie because I have to give something. :)

on 9/8/2013 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

DO NOT BUY THIS. I put this in my hair, and it felt so sticky. I shampooed my hair, and could still feel the oil in my hair. I then washed my hair twice more with shampoo and baking soda, but still no luck. I then used a deep conditioner, again no luck. I got out of the shower hoping that it just felt sticky when it was wet. So I started to blow dry my hair in hopes that it was not sticky. UGH. I am now sitting here with my hair like a ball of grease, hoping to find a way to get this coconut oil out.

on 8/24/2013 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Ugh this stuff is disgusting. 100% petroleum with coconut fragrance. Just look at the ingredients. If you've sadly already put this in your hair you will want to wash with dish detergent, vinegar and a sulfate cleansing shampoo. And you want to make sure you scrub your heart out.

Popular Styling Products