October 23, 2014 | 1433 users online

Styling Products - Blue Magic Coconut Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2014 1:51:00 PM More reviews by catgirldjh

this product surprised me.

one day i ran into a friend of mine who has very curly hair and not only did her curls look great (and SHINY) but she smelled amazing!

i asked her what perfume she was wearing and she laughed and said it must be 'Blue Magic'.

i had never heard of this before and went off to walmart and immediately bought a jar upon seeing the ingredients were petroleum jelly, coconut oil and fragrance.

i love both petroleum jelly and coconut oil and i love the smell of coconuts so this was perfect for me!

now at that time i had long mid back hair and i could only use it on the ends. however recently i cut my hair into a short pixie and now this product works great for my hair. i have fine-medium cacausian hair and i use it after washing my hair or after dampening my hair first.

it only takes a tiny bit - enough to give a sheen to my hands.

my favorite use however is for my skin. i love it as a facial cleanser! i use it like i would cold cream... or the oil cleansing method! i rub in a generous amount and let it sit as long as i have time for and then wipe it off with tissues and sometimes a warm wash cloth after. you wouldn't believe all the dirt (and dead skin cells!) that get wiped away on that tissue!!!

i also use it on my feet and hands and pretty much all over since it works so well and i love the smell.

years ago i had found that coconut oil by itself wasn't enough for me and could even be kind of drying for my hair and skin. adding the petroleum jelly makes it perfect for me.

and so cheap! a winner :) i say try it! you can always use it on your feet! it smells yummy and soaks in quicker than plain petroleum jelly or the cocoa butter version.

i find it amusing that people buy this expecting it to be pure coconut oil. READ the ingredients! petroleum jelly is the first one!!! the ingredients of ALL products are listed in order of the amount contained. so with this one petroleum jelly is the dominant ingredient with coconut oil next and then finally fragrance.

you can't go by what the front of labels tell you. they just post key words to get your attention. read the ingredients - usually on the back or side of jar/bottle, etc.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2014 1:51:00 PM More reviews by MayaMartinez

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DON'T YOU DARE BUY THIS! I should've looked at these reviews before buying this. I always look at the reviews first before buying products, don't know why I didn't look this time. I put quite a lot in my hair and left it in for like 30 minutes before washing my hair. Next morning it didn't come out so I washed it again. It's been like 3 days of having this grease in my hair. I need to buy dawn dish soap (very harsh) and lemon juice (harsh with acids) and baking soda (you get the picture) in order to get this out. I'll continue to wash and do these methods until it looks decent. My hair looks like I haven't washed it in years. Just buy natural 100% coconut oil like I should've in the first place.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by kodancerbabeee

I bought this product because my favorite drug store was going out of business and this was basically free and the last jar on the counter. I figured "Well if people are taking it so fast, it must be a decent product." I was wrong. I quickly opened the lid and saw the product. I knew that coconut oil was solid at room temperature, so I figured that this product must just be pure coconut oil and currently solid, but I wasn't going to touch it before buying it! When I got home, I went to take it out of the jar and realized it was sticky. I read the ingredients and realized it was petroleum + coconut oil, so i figured that I might as well try it, coconut oil is supposed to work wonders anyway. Well, it left my hair greasy for days, and no amount of shampoo could get it out. It turns out this product is PURE petroleum jelly with coconut SCENT. Maybe this would work for boys trying to use a TINY TINY bit to spike their hair or something. When it was all out, my hair did seem a little shinier but in my opinion, all that work wasn't worth it. If you want my advice, stay away unless you have a use for pleasant smelling petroleum jelly!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 5:14:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

To reviewer below - sorry to hear that. :( try "pre-pooing" generously with a natural oil like olive oil or jojoba oil to help loosen the residue it left. Sometimes only oil removes or loosens oil. After that, try co-washing with a good cheap conditioner like V05 to get it out. Finally, finish with a clarifying shampoo that will completely stirp any other residue, use something commercial like V05 Kiwi or Suave Clarifying, both are under $2. Each step in that order should help to loosen and remove the sticky gummy residue it is leaving.

My mom used to use this grease on my brother's hair when he was little and I remember him being 2 and having globs of it in his hair after playing with the jar. :) That said, I see no value for this or ANY grease whatsoever in my life, especially when you can use a real coconut oil or any other great multiuse oil (olive, jojoba, argan, almond, etc.) - and must give this 1 lippie because I have to give something. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by Sydneyf13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DO NOT BUY THIS. I put this in my hair, and it felt so sticky. I shampooed my hair, and could still feel the oil in my hair. I then washed my hair twice more with shampoo and baking soda, but still no luck. I then used a deep conditioner, again no luck. I got out of the shower hoping that it just felt sticky when it was wet. So I started to blow dry my hair in hopes that it was not sticky. UGH. I am now sitting here with my hair like a ball of grease, hoping to find a way to get this coconut oil out.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2013 10:29:00 AM More reviews by EmilyJoell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ugh this stuff is disgusting. 100% petroleum with coconut fragrance. Just look at the ingredients. If you've sadly already put this in your hair you will want to wash with dish detergent, vinegar and a sulfate cleansing shampoo. And you want to make sure you scrub your heart out.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by EmilyJones

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I WISH I could give this piece of crap a lower rating than negative a billion. First of all this product is pure petroleum oil with coconut fragrance. I bought this at walmart looking for a cheap coconut oil for my hair to give it a deep conditioning. Well after I left this in my hair all night I tried washing it out. I still felt a little grime in my hair and thought ah whatever the coconut oil is still probably nourishing my hair or something. Big mistake. Because after another wash I tried blow drying it and I felt like Ursula(Little Mermaid) as a 1950's greaser. Yeah, not pretty. So today after a miserable couple days looking like Ursula I finally got MOST of it out. I must've washed my hair 5+ times in the past 48 hours with dish detergent, vinegar, sulfate shampoo(I always use sulfate free) and even my dogs all natural shampoo lol.

So today it felt about 50% free of petroleum oil and I washed it twice and decided to blow dry it for the heck of it. And it worked. I have my normal flowy hair back. Now it would've been completely out today but I watched beautyklove's tutorial(which is GREAT) for putting coconut oil in hair and I made sure to put it in each and every section of my scalp and scrubbed. So it's still in their slightly but atleast now I know it'll all be out by my next wash. I was so afraid because I have a hair appointment tomorrow and school Tuesday that I'd have to cancel because of my hair but just thank GOD it's out. Wow do I appreciate my hair lol. So story short if you're in the market for a deep conditioning coconut oil, splurge 10$ and don't waste your $ on this CRAP. Also make SURE to SCRUB your scalp for a couple minutes with shampoo each time you're struggling to get this out of your hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/16/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by Aziauhhh55

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hated this product!!! I had it in my hair and could not get it out. I had to literally deep conditioner,, blow dry and then flat iron (burn) it off my hair. it was terrible but it left a nice shine. I would NEVER use this product again

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2013 12:17:00 PM More reviews by keyelement

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is NOT a conditioning product. It is basically Vaseline with coconut scent - it doesn't even smell like proper coconut oil! I bought it when in a hurry and looking for coconut oil, not realizing what a nightmare it would be to put petroleum in my hair. It took cornstarch to get it out, and 2 all over treatments with a ton of cornstarch to mop it up out of my hair. (30 minutes of shampooing, using Goo Gone, olive and jojoba oil, conditioner, you name it - couldn't get it out. Had to call out of work to go get cornstarch to fix it once it was in.)

I can see using a tiny amount if you just need to seal your ends- otherwise, this is not a product someone with Caucasian hair needs and it's getting 1 lipoid because it is not labeled as a styling product on the jar and the instructions are just as misleading. If you're looking for coconut oil, make sure it is real and pure! This product will make your life miserable otherwise!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2011 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Katzie105

Yikes, did I get myself in trouble with this product. I am white, however my hair is thick, coarse, dry, frizzy, prone to extreme breakage, doesn't grow fast due to damage and breakage, and so on and so forth. I was doing some research as to what would help hydrate and prevent breakage, and what came up was coconut oil. I looked up good products, found this one which had good reviews, ran out to CVS and bought a tub. It was only $4. I was so excited to get home and try it. Stupidly, I just relied on the good reviews without reading the ingredient list, and I SLATHERED and I mean SLATHERED this stuff from root, to tip until every single strand was coated and soaked with this stuff. I went to bed so proud of myself, thrilled that my hair would get a good 8 hours of deep conditioning treatment. Woke up, got in the shower and immediately sensed something was wrong. Hair was like glued together, and unyielding when I tried to move it around. Lathered my hair and rinsed... hair felt extremely dry and still stuck together. Lathered and rinsed again. No change. Tried a different shampoo, lathered, rinsed. Nothing. At this point I'm just trying to rinse my hair as good as possible but it is impossible b/c each strand of hair seems to be waterproof! I used a strong conditioner and left it in for about 10 minutes. Rinsed... slightly better. But not good. At this point I'm freaking out. Combing out my hair was a nightmare. It was knotted and clumped together. I looked at the tub of Blue Magic, the first ingredient, and main ingredient is PETROLEUM. I just assumed since it said "OIL" and not "Conditioning JELLY" that it was fine. Anyway...When it was finally detangled, I applied a nice dose of Hask Argan Oil and towel dried for a bit. Then I started with the hair dryer. It was NOT pretty. Hair took 5x longer to blow dry. Ends were extremely dry but I kept at it. I blow dried each section of my hair until there was smoke, and kept going until no more smoke appeared. Surprisingly despite how bad my hair was in the shower, and how bad it was to brush... it didn't feel so gross once the blow out was done. It was soft... I then proceeded with my Hana Elite flat iron and did all my sections. I noticed that white grease was coating the iron plates with every pass I did, so I would wipe it off, and do that section again. I think this helped melt the petroleum off my hair. Even more surprisingly, when the flat ironing was done, my hair was gorgeous... my hair after blow out and flat iron is usually a bit dry, still extremely thick and puffy, little flyaway's everywhere. My hair now, is slightly weighed down... not in a bad way, but in which my hair isn't thick and puffy... it's thinner, and laying flat, it's extremely smooth, soft, and shiny. There are no fly away's. Initially I was horrified, end result? Pretty good. I definitely have learned my lesson and I will NOT be using this all over my head again. I will stick to applying small amounts to my ends only. I say I wouldn't buy this again because the tub is HUGE and a teeeeeeeeny bit goes a long long way. I probably won't need to rebuy for another 5 years.