November 28, 2014 | 1066 users online

Top/Base Coats - Pro-FX Quick Dry High Gloss Top Coat

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my go to top coat over all other top coats. When I first picked this up I was skeptical: an unknown brand from Walmart in a huge bottle for $5? But truth be told, I haven't gone back since using this and all my other top coats are gathering dust. It doesn't dry as "quickly" as it might imply, but I find that it helps the nail set more- once it does dry my nails are safe most of the time. Most of my bumps and smudges were my own fault, have to remember metallics don't like to dry very quickly! If you see any of their other products, especially the Fiberized Ridge Filler, I'd recommend grabbing them! I think there are 8 in total.

Pros: Huge bottle at a great price, has a decent thickness that protects the nail well, nice glossy finish, doesn't get clumpy even if I do touchups a day or two after my manicure. The brush is a good size and after three months use, I haven't noticed much thickening or changes in consistency/color. Hasn't damaged any of my nail art.

Cons: Larger bottle means the brush and brush stem pick up a lot of product, the large size of the bottle may mean it gets thick long before I use it all. Not the glossiest of topcoats, but most people aren't as picky as nail addicts ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 12:45:00 AM More reviews by janeyface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my new favorite top coat. I was an SV kind of girl for YEARS until I found this gem at Walmart. It's super cheap for the giant bottle, which you just can't beat.
It is super glossy and dries fast... Maybe not quite as fast as SV but it definitely does the job. I also don't find it peeling or shrinking as much as SV does. I love this topcoat!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by HeyimKris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I absolutely love this product! Very quick drying, gives a really nice high gloss. I love the packaging. Great value! And my nails only chipped after 5 full days!! Id say thats pretty good considering the norm for all the other top coats I've used that my Nails will chip even the day of! I've used seche vite , great product but not the "healthiest". I moved onto Sally Hansens quick dry and it got gloopy and thick after a month. Not to mention you can only use 3/4 of the product. So with all that being said I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! I would recommend it to anyone!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by akneil

The main thing I like about this product is that it does dry fast. Like really fast. That is great and so handy when you're in a rush. Who likes to sit around and wait for their nails to dry anyways?
I didn't find this to be a super long lasting product, my nails chipped about the same amount with or without it. But the main claim is quick dry and high gloss, and it definitely does both of those.
It's also super cheap from Walmart and comes in a massive bottle the size of a tangerine, so great value!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 9:34:00 PM More reviews by jwinter00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on my...3rd bottle of this stuff? And I'm in love. Absolute LOVE. I use it every single time I paint my nails and it's perfect every single time without fail. Not to mention I bought the bottle I'm using now in...March I think it was? It's November now and I still have 3/4 of the bottle left to go. The bottle is huuuge, about the size of a plum, and it's only $5 at wal-mart. Sally Hansen's insta-dri topcoat is about a quarter of the size (since it gets gloopy and unusable about halfway through the bottle) and it's 1-2 dollars more expensive. The brush goes all the way to the bottom, which I like, and it stays perfect consistency aaaaall the way to the end.

The product itself is great, it gives a thick, glossy coat over top of even the most lackluster polish and it reeeeally locks your nail polish in there. I used to have to redo my nails every two or three days because of chipping but since I've started using this stuff, matched with Orly's top2bottom basecoat, my nail polish stays on for two weeks, legit. I think the longest I wore it for was for 17 days and then it finally chipped. Usually I get bored and end up changing it instead of having to take it off. Which is a nice freakin change, I'll tell ya!

Anyways, there is no downside to this stuff, it's great, it's beautiful, it's glossy and long lasting and I love it. Definitely recommending it to everyone! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2013 10:35:00 AM More reviews by CalypsoBlue

I do not like this top coat at all. ): It didn't even dry to a gloss finish! In fact, some parts of the nail are duller than the coloured polish I put it over! I "test" all of my nail polishes on false nail rings, and each time only part of the nail dried shiny, and the majority of the nail was dull, almost matte. I tried it on a bare, and polished nail, both turned out the same. Dull.
It did try faster than a non "quick dry" polish which I like, and it does have a nice thin consistency, but I definitely will NOT be buying this product again. The finish is just too dull.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Lady5andy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

HG material right here!! Dry quickly, super glossy, super shiny, do not chip, awesome price.. Do I need to say more ? Oh and make my nails rock hard... fast!

I got, like everyone else, the big bottle for something like 3$ at WalMart, about 3 months ago, and I haven't seen a dent in the amount in the bottle yet... and I paint my nails everyday/2 days! When using this top coat, everyone always ask me if I have gel nails... it's that glossy! It dries as fast as Sally Hansen Insta-Dry (red bottle) or Sally Hansen Diamond Shine insta-dry (black bottle) but without becoming goopy half way to the bottle. After that, I used Julep Freedom top coat, but at 18$ for a sample size, I can't afford that!! Pro-FX is just BETTER and cheaper so... just absolutely awesome!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by bedazzleurwaythrulife

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So here are my two cents on the product: It is a highly cost effective product for someone who wants a good quality top coat. Being so cost effective, it isn't THE best product on the market, but the results are fabulous for a top coat that's only 1 dollar per .5 ounce! So, you really can't hold anything against it. However, here are the things that may prevent me from buying this again: it does bubble. You have to be really really careful about application to make sure you don't get bubbles. It does drag color if you go over one spot more than once, at least on wet polish! While it does dry quicker than a traditional top coat, it isn't nearly as fast as SHID or SV. It's also super thick, which I suppose is good but it can be a bit of a pain to apply at times! I found that with the really long brush stick in the salon size, all the excess top coat would drip down, and I would get a BUNCH of top coat on my nail, it would just be a huge pool and it was really hard to work with. The pros are, of course, the shine. That definitely is a plus, however I really would prefer sally hansen insta dry over this top coat, despite the price. It does make my polish last way longer than most top coats, but I'm battling that pro against the major bubbling con. OH, and as for self leveling, It does a pretty decent job, but I put like, four or five coats over a glitter to help it level out and look shiny, and it never got to that point for me, it was quite the disappointment. I mean, this one is great for the cost, but it's definitely not the best top coat out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by jatkins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this stuff so much! I bought the salon size bottle (2.5 fl oz.) at WalMart for $3.99. This stuff is amazing. It adds an extremely high gloss look to even the dullest nail polishes. It feels like I have a gel manicure because of the thick consistency. It makes all of my polishes go more than twice as long without chipping compared to any other top coat I have used. That includes high and low end. This stuff makes my nails dry so fast. I can apply this over polish that is not dry yet and it will seal and dry within two minutes tops. This top coat is pretty much magical compared to all others I have tried. I promise....I've tried and own a lot of top coats...and they're about to be donated to my young nieces.

Also, I have never experienced bubbling on my nails like one of the reviewers mentioned. This stuff has worked perfectly for me.

Tip: Even with cheaper nail polishes- if you reapply this every 3-4 days, your polish can last up to two weeks. Reapplying is not a problem for me since this dries super fast.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by tamedDOLL

Its relatively fast drying, and provides and nice shine to the nails. I paid $4.99 for the salon size of 75ml / 2.5 fl.oz... But it really doesn't make a manicure last any longer. I actually kind of find it to chip quite easily.

UPDATE Feb 18 2013
I agree with another reviewer that the thick consistency feels like a gel manicure, which is really nice.