September 1, 2014 | 1917 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Extreme CAT Protein Therapy Treatment (2011 formula with IPN)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2014 5:11:00 AM More reviews by msjohns888

also I should also mention that you must use a great moister rich conditioner with this and rinse well. Too much protein without moister = horrible crunchy hair with this stuff. Good luck.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2014 4:22:00 AM More reviews by zoeD25

I use the whole Redken Extreme line but this is the only product I'm not sure about. My hair feels sort of stiff afterwards and the spray bottle is awkward to use

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

I noticed that this product appears to have a dup or a previously released version of the product on this site. This review is for the product currrently listed on the Redken site as the "Extreme CAT - Strengthening Hairspray" with IPN in the ingredient list (Interlock Protein Network). It's not a "hairspray" meant for styling hold; it's a protein treatment you put in your hair while it's damp after your shampoo. Historically, my hair has absolutely hated protein. I thought I was going to lose every strand on my head while I was using Aveda's repair shampoo and conditioner, the same with the Kera-products for blondes from Paul Mitchell. Complete disasters. Fast forward 2 years and a lot of haircolors (and a little bleach) later and I have hair that is falling out, and this time I can't blame the protein (because I make sure there is none in my shampoo and conditioner). At this point, I'm pretty sure my hair could use a little dose of protein. Up until 2 months ago, I had been an Aveda salon customer, and I recalled my stylist selling me a "treatment" at the bowl many times after we'd colored. I had thought the first time that it was going to be a thick, rich conditioning type treatment - but it was a thin consistency spray. Putting 2 & 2 together...I figured this treatment might be similar, and I can do it at home for a fraction of the cost. I figured right. I shampooed my hair with L'oreal's Oleo shampoo, squeezed out the excess water, and sprayed this in all over. I put a shower cap over it and tended to other shower business while it sat. I rinse it out after about 3-4 minutes and conditioned with L'oreal's Oleo masque. My hair feels different, in a good way, and I had little to no fallout when combing it out and then blowdrying. This morning I shoke it out off the bun I set it in overnight, and it has more volume and my waves/ curls (from the bun) are better defined than usual. I think it really did improve the health of my hair. I feels better to the touch too. More about the product itself: there is enough in the bottle for many treatments, so for $17, this is a great buy compared to having this service performed in a salon. The fragrance is mild and not at all unpleasant. The bottle itself could use some grip-y things on the sides to make it easier to hold, but that was easily remedied by holding it with a washcloth instead of my wet hands. I would recommend using a VERY deep conditioner afterwards; believe it or not, I don't think the L'oreal Oleo masque was deep enough - I had to use a lot of my Pureology leave-in spray to compensate. I would absolutely recommend this product for anyone experiencing a lot of breakage/damage/fall-out. I would not recommend using it too frequently, as evidenced by my earlier unfortunate run-ins with protein, but once or twice a month could make a huge difference in the health of your hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Ebyanne

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have baby fine hair. I use this as a thickener or a root lifter on dry hair. It only take a little but it really adds body. Too much makes my hair flyaway. I wrote an in depth article about it and other products I like at http://www.anniesnuggets.com/2011/01/farrah-hair.html

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this as some reviewers has described it should be used if you want salon-results;
3 x 4 minutes (apply at let be in four minutes then rinse and apply again and let be in four minutes - 3 times)
But I believe that my thin hair would be better of if I only use it 2x4 times, cause when I tried it 3x4 minutes my hair was a mess even after 2 hair treatments and conditiner..
Anyway, it works well if you don't overdo it, so I think I'll buy it again - it's a fair price.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by kailee100

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm have waist length hair and for years bleached the too half platinum with relatively low damage. I would use Redken Anti Snap on it every three washes or so and this kept the condition very good. Then I went to a hairdresser who put bleach on the length and not just the roots and my once healthy hair turned straw-like. After a month and a half of using the CAT spray my hair finally returned to normal but it was dicey and I was certain my hair would never feel normal again. If your hair has been fried this product can save it. Just be patient, don't use heat to style your hair and try to wash twice a week max with non-sulfate shampoo and conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by dellajaz24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I always wondered what I could do to stop my hair from breaking off and therefor not growing because of all the foils I have done on a regular bases, and now I've found the answer! Usually when I get my hair foiled, my hair breaks like crazy and its especially noticeable around my face because my fringe area seems to keep getting shorter all on its own! I never have to cut my fringe and I hated that! but now since using this product along with Redken anti snap (also amazing!!) for a few months, my fringe grew out within 2 weeks after getting foils and my fringe cut!! amazing! now I have to go back and get it trimmed again! that has never happened to me before! I leave the cat spray on for an hour or so underneath a showercap and a beanie to warm it up(works better), then rinse it out under the shower head (I dont get back in the shower or anything,dont need to) then I apply a and intense deep conditioning repair treatment for another hour also under the showercap and beanie, then rinse that out, then to towel dried hair I apply some Redken anti snap and WOW my hair is amazingly healthy. Highly recommend these products for people who have trouble growing their hair /keeping it long/ keeping it from snapping and breaking, they both really do what their meant to! My hair has never been better. Or longer! and its terribly bleached! TRY IT! its worth it :)
Packaging is great! Price is ok, not too dear but not cheap either, I still keep on repurchasing because its so good!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by KOuilhon

This product has finally helped me have healthy hair again after years of bleach damage. I have very fine hair that never grew very fast. Growing out my hair has always been a challenge. Before my wedding I grew it for 2 years and it barely grew out past my shoulders. 8 months of using the Cat Spray and my hair has already surpassed the growth it took me 2 years to accomplish before. Granted, I also stopped bleaching my hair. I am sure that helped a great deal as well! But this product has changed the texture and thickness of my hair. I am so happy with it! I used to be able to wrap a small rubberband around my ponytail 3 times. Now I can only wrap it twice. My hair is thickening! Try this product out if you have breakage and damaged hair. It is not an overnight wonder... give it time. It takes time because it REALLY does dramatically change your hair. Love this stuff!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2013 2:34:00 AM More reviews by sendmetothemoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been bleaching my hair heavily every 2 months for the last 3 and a half years, as well as blow-drying and styling (which i soon quit!) I have a mousy light brown hair and I bleach it to completely white. (30 vol. peroxide for about an hour) About 2 months ago, my hair finally hit its limit.
I tried everything from protein masks (Aphogee, Bumble&Bumble, IceCream, SarynaKey) and oils (Moroccan, Argan, Coconut, even leaving olive oil in my hair to sleep in) and though they all together did help my hair, it still kept snapping and breaking. I could feel clumps of hair sliding down my leg in the shower. I was miserable. I didn't even want to brush my hair anymore. I had completely stopped using any heat and lived in hats to hide my undone hair- and then i found Redken CAT Protein Treatment.

After one use at the salon, my hair felt instantly revived. But I gave it time. For the last month, every time I washed my hair (2 to 3 times a week) for about 4 minutes. I used this after shampooing followed by one of the above deep conditioning treatments as a conditioner and my hair is gorgeous.

My hair retains moisture, now. It doesn't frizz out at the ends. It doesn't snap or break and most importantly, that bone-chilling feeling of clumps of hair running down my legs is gone. For the last week and a half, I haven't noticed any hair fall-out which is amazing considering how much I used to lose. I seriously recommend this to anyone who bleaches their hair or who has seriously damaged hair. I owe my hair's health to it. Sadly, white hair comes with a lot of work.

The only problem I have with this product is it's $22 for the bottle which in total will probably last me another week or so- so it lasts me almost about a month and a half. But now that my hair has gained so much strength.. I can use it once or twice a week instead of 3. The bottle is also super slippery to spray at your head and I've definitely sprayed myself in the eye by accident, AHAHAA but it's worth it, completely.

Please everyone try this product! And to everyone looking for other products to save killed hair, I also completely 100% recommend SarynaKey Keratin Shea Butter Mask which is AMAZING but did not save my hair like the Redken CAT Protein Treatment did.
Thank you Redken! <3

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by lulabell7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so thankful I found this product. I have been using it once a week with the extreme shampoo and conditioner and it has made a huge difference. All of the other days I use the all soft shampoo and conditioner so I can't give all of the credit to the extreme line but this combo has been a lifesaver!