April 20, 2014 | 1000 users online

Cleansers - Clarins - Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Shea Butter for Dry or Sensitive Skin

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 5:41:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I use this with my facial brush (Philips Visapure, see my review for that) and it's full-blown love!
Up until I found this baby I used the Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser, but when that was finished I wanted to look for something a little softer. I always check Makeupalley and Beautypedia and most of the time things that rate high on MUA are bad according to BP and the other way round. This cleanser is rated GOOD by BP and has good rates here: YAY! I've been using it for a good 3 weeks now and it is indeed very soft, it smells divine and my skin is clean but not too dryish anymore. Absolute favorite cleanser! But a little side note: it does contain a lot of fragrance, I like it, but my skin isn't sensitive. If you have really sensitive skin I would give this a miss ar at least try a sample first.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by LyrA236

This product is pleasant to use, but rinses poorly and really does not lather much at all. It is also highly fragranced and burned my eyes. Lastly, it did not clean all that well and I had makeup residue after cleansing. (And yes, I expect my cleanser to take off makeup. I do not wear a heavy amount, and do not have time for a two step process.)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by carolinesmith22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Worse. Product. Ever! It's just so bad I can't begin to describe. My skin is not sensitive at all just dry, epecially in the winter. But this product broke me out much for over TWO weeks! The sales lady kept on saying a good cleanser is supposed to break out skin for a while, but TWO WEEKS?? WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

Average cleanser. It's not drying, and I like the packaging. I think it kind of makes my skin worse though in terms of breakouts. Maybe it's the fragrance that my skin's sensitive to. To be clear, this did not cause me to have problematic skin; I did before using this product. I just think it isn't ideal for acne-prone complexions. If you have dry, acne-prone skin you're better off at the drugstore with Neutrogena or Cetaphil.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by miss_beee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It doesn't foam like the name leads you to believe but boy does it wash off every trace of makeup. Even my waterproof eyeliner came right off with out that super dry feeling after. My skin is dry so I need moisturizer right after but this is probably the best face wash I've ever tried. Cons: the price is a little steep and the packaging isn't that great, a little does go a long way but if you're not careful way more than you need comes out. Despite the price and the not so great packaging it's worth not having to use a separate eye makeup remover

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2013 4:59:00 AM More reviews by katy42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this after having problems with the Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Cottonseed (I've posted a review on that product).
The Cottonseed version made my skin sore and tight but I found immediate improvements when I started to use this; my skin felt much more comfortable, soft and rehydrated.I went out for a long lunch the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see late afternoon that my face still looked fresh and well rested despite having had only 4 hours sleep the night before. I think the rehydrating and moisturising properties of this product helped with that.
I have been using this at night after Clarins Cleansing Milk for normal/dry skin, wiping off the Foaming Cleanser with a warm washcloth and following with the Toning Lotion with Chamomile, and on its own in the morning. In comparison to the Cottonseed version, this is a very creamy cleanser and flows out of the tube more quickly. I find it foams up better if you use a small amount - about the size of a large pea - and agitate it well between the hands first. The fragrance is creamy and buttery (if that makes sense), almost vanilla-y ; quite different from the natural floral scents of many Clarins products, but is pleasantly subtle.
I had used many tubes of the original All Skin Types Gentle Foaming Cleanser before it was discontinued, and found the Shea Butter version too rich for me back then. This time round, though, I'm finding that it's just what my skin needs for the winter months when it flips between dry, dehydrated, or both.
Looking at the reviews for these Clarins cleansers it seems that the normal/combo cleanser can work great on dry skin, the dry/sensitive works great on oily skin, etc. Clarins are very good at providing product samples, in store or online with purchase, so I would recommend trying one or two out before buying.
I've given it four stars because for overall cleansing and performance because I think my Clinique Rinse Off Cleanser/Liquid Soap duo works better. I switched to Clarins for a more natural and nourishing winter regime and so far it's working very well. I think the skin gets used to products over time, and changing your routine periodically does seem to work.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2013 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I use this in conjunction with the Cottonseed Cleanser which does foam. I use this one for my morning cleanser. I need a morning shower cleanser for my face and this is gentle and yet takes any residue of night creams and other nastiness from my skin. it leaves my skin soft and ready for my morning moisturizing routine.

It comes in a tube which is quite functional, but when you get the bottom of the tube, it gets tricky to get out the last of the product.

Clarins makes great skincare and this is just another example of a great product at a decent price.

will always repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Empyrean_Luminary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Very silky, smooth, cushiony and luxurious. Doesn't truly foam (which is fine considering it's supposed to be a gentle cleanser), and has a light, pleasant shea scent. Expensive, but a pea size amount will make the bottle last quite awhile. I like the refreshing, dewy, supple feel of my skin after cleansing and it definitely hasn't irritated it. Will buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 6:57:00 PM More reviews by tigerlily217

I needed a basic cleanser that won't cause breakouts, dry out my skin or leave any sort of residue. My skin has been acting up from an allergic reaction and this seems to calm it down. It doesn't irritate my skin or leave the tight feeling after washing my face. It seems to remove the last bits of makeup pretty well. I don't find it particularly moisturizing considering it claims to have shea butter in it. However it does get the job done without stripping your skin. The only bad thing I can say about the cleanser is the scent, it reminds me of something my grandma would use. I find it hard to control the amount of cleanser to squeeze out which leads to a lot of wasted product. Overall, it is a good cleanser if you're looking for something simple. Would I purchase it again? No, I am planning to go the organic or more natural route so my skin doesn't act up.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by kittencuddler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Good but not great. It's supposed to be for dry skin, but I've actually found my skin to be a bit dryer and rougher after using this for a couple weeks. :( It does make my skin softer and reduce the redness immediately after using it, but there hasn't been any long term redness reduction or moisture retention benefits. It's gentle enough I suppose. I guess I'll just use this as much as I can before the autumn and winter really start drying me out. Oh well.