October 24, 2014 | 889 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by QueenofCats

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've needed some makeup brushes for a while now, but looking at the prices of the MAC, Sigma brushes there was no way I could have afforded them. This only cost me $27.50c NZD, a total bargain! These brushes are so easy to clean and dry. I also like that the brushes tell you what they are "for" on the handle, I like using the detailer brush for applying glitter over my eyeshadow. The foundation brush is great, it gives me even coverage and I use less foundation than I did before. The buffing brush works great for applying powder to my T-Zone which is where I find I get the most oily, this brush helps with my powder to get rid of that. I can't rave about this brush set enough, it's so awesome! Great price, great quality. Never had any shedding after cleaning either.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by aroraaros

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I've been lusting after these brushes for a whole year,watching youtube guru's use them in tutorials claiming its their HG brush set,did a bit of google research on them and after seeing the hot raving reviews,took the plunge deciding to get my very own core collection set,YAY!(My wallet was not pleased though) I ordered them online as they are not availible in SA at the wooping price of Rands600.......was it worth it is the question here and I can say without a doubt YES!. So I've been using them for a month now and I can say that the hype about these is totally justified here's my take on each brush.

Contour brush-Awesome for its main purpose contouring,but its a multitasker as well,good with setting under eye concealer because it does not pick up too much powder so its a smooth soft application also it could be used to blend under eye concealer,I use mine for highlighting to.

Pointed foundation brush-Now this brush I don't use for foundation because it has become my HG concealer brush,it blends my under eye concealer sooooooo darn well,i try not to use it to push the product in but instead pat it on and it works perfectly the concealer stays where it needs to and I get a flawless finish,after I'm done with my concealer I do a quick clean dip it in powder and run that under my eye area to set my concealer.

Buffing brush-So this brush is the main star of the set this is the reason I bought the core collection,I use this for foundation,powder,cream blusher,now I'm a liquid foundation girl I prefer it over all other types and this brush gave me the most awesome coverage with the most natural look,I even dug through my makeup graveyard to pull out my most disliked foundation(I hate sticky foundation,especially certain longwear types they can be a total nighmare to blend) and still this brush made the application a breeze,if I were stranded on an island with all my makeup this is the 1 brush I'd choose to take with me,I prefer it to the expert face brush as it gives a more natural finish.

Detailer brush-now from what I've heard no one really cares much for this lil brush but luckily for me I've found three uses for this,firstly I like to use it to add shadow and smudge eyeliner on my bottom lashes and its small enough to go under there without messing my bottom lashes with powder especially if you are going to use a light eyeshadow,also its perfect for hilighting the inner corner of the eye,but my main purpose for this brush is winged eyeliner! I suck at applying winged eyeliner,it never comes out perfect to the point where I apply it and wipe of 2 or 3 times eventually giving up taking it all off,but with this brush and the tiny size I could easily use it to clean up and sharpen the winged point by simply dipping it in concealer.

In terms of cleaning I'm really lazy with that I spot clean after every use with mac brush cleaner for me its easy and fast making the brushes last longer,but I do deep clean them once a week,In a teaspoon of mac brush clean with warm water and a drop baby shampoo quick rub n rinse after that they dry good to go for their next use after being left overnight coming out free of any stains that usually are left on the bristles. Overall these are really good brushes I love that they are cruelty free yet still soooooo extremely soft I would purchase them again infact I'm going to get my hands on another set as soon as I can for backup purposes,I hope my review was helpful.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Rawrceo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Now let me just say that I am one to buy synthetic brushes for I believe they last longer and much cheaper. I'm a very low end brush person because I use my brushes on a daily basis and clean most of them right after use. So I guess you can say I'm pretty vigorous. Gentle, but vigorous. Without any further ado, here is my take on the RT brushes.

1.Buffing Brush: My absolute favorite and HG brush at the moment. Blends any product like a dream. Gives you a nice soft focus type of finish. I mainly use this for liquid and cream foundations and even to blend out any harsh lines from contouring. Wonderful! Very multi purposeful. Zero to minimal shedding! Extremely easy to clean. Not much I can say except superb. This brush really does live up to it's name.

2.Detailer Brush: My second favorite from the set! I mainly use this to apply corrector creams under my eyes. Picks up a lot of product and extremely easy to clean. Fast drying is a plus too! I don't know how it works as a lip liner but I heard great things about it for that purpose.

3. Flat Foundation Brush: Not a bad brush but I still have yet to find a use for this. It's too small to apply foundation and I never really was a fan of applying foundation with the typical foundation brush anyway. I tried applying under eye concealer with this but unfortunately it was too big and the bristles sparser out when applying creating an uneven application. But, no shedding, easy to clean, and I'm sure there's a use for this somewhere!

4. Contouring Brush: Alrighty, here we go. I used to be in love with this brush. It was so amazing for contouring (obviously), setting my under eye concealer, and blending under eye concealer. But after just 4 washes, this brush started shedding like CRAZY. Like, the bristles are sticking out, losing shape, and if I were to just pull one piece out, an entire lock of bristles would come out! Never had a problem with synthetic brush shedding until this brush. Extremely odd because I wash all my RT brushes the same way, same time, with the same brush cleanser and this is the only one that decides to shed like a mad man.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by danceintherain55

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Buffer and contour brushes are wonderful, so I have no regrets with buying this collection to get those. The two smaller ones I could do without, but I have/will find used for since I now have them. My favorite uses for each brush so far have been liquid foundation with buffer, contour the hollow of my cheeks with contour, under eye concealer with the foundation or whatever one, and I haven't used the detail yet, but planning to use it as a lip brush. Would be nice for storage if the handles were smaller, but oh well. Nice brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Kaylawimbleton

These brushes are amazing. Even though people think they're pricey.. Look at the quality of them and then the quality of Mac/Bobbi brown and compare the prices then. These brushes are so handy. The buffing brush is good for buffing in liquid foundation to get a nice natural finish. You can also use it for powder too. The contour brush is good for bronzing your cheekbones and even concealing your under eye as the brush fits perfectly under the eye and the other brushes are good for concealing too. Very handy collectio.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2014 6:53:00 AM More reviews by wenqing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I find all of her brushes to be average, with affordable price point. They're not the softest or the best to pick up product but they are quite practical, dries really fast after washes and I always prefer synthetic fiber brushes rather than natural hair, so I've purchased quite a few. This set is no different but I recently discovered that the small paddle brush called pointed foundation brush is the best tool for contouring the nose. With both powder or cream product. Just try it and you'll know what I mean.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am giving these a 4 because of the great price point. They are nice brushes and can get the job done. However, they are not as soft as I had expected. In fact, I find them a bit scratchy. They are definitely not as nice as the Sonia Kashuk black handled brushes. I would say they are comparable to the SK white handled brush line. The ELF Studio Line brushes are also comparable to Real Techniques brushes.

If you can afford a higher price point, I would recommend It Cosmetics brushes. They are also synthetic but are much softer and give a much better application and finish.

I have most of the RT brushes but I won't replace/repurchase them. I suspect they will fall by the wayside and become travel-only brushes.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by Forever25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so excited about buying this brush set for my mom as her BD gift. I ended up bought 2 sets online; one for myself. It kinda surprised me in a bad way. They are smaller than they seemed on Sam's youtube. Anyway, when I used the buffing brush with the liquid foundation, it scratched my face! I tried to think positive and used it with the powder, it still scratched my face. Besides, it didn't transfer the powder to the face smoothly. I do agree with the previous comment; it's a lie! It's not "super soft". I dare the company to QC check mine. Some of the the bristols fell off in 2nd use. For 22USD, NOT worth buying at all.

Update: I had a look at another set that I gave to my mom. OMG.. they are softer and look a lil bit different in handle color. The quality control of this brand is really bad. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by grapes123xo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

These brushes are really great... they make it easy to blend your foundation. They are an okay price.. I payed around 20 dollars Canadian. I like how the foundation brush is small and can fit in all the edges of your face. Still trying to figure out if I can use the buffing brush for blush, application or if it's just for blending. The detailer brush is a bit small but useful when you are concealing a pimple. The brushes are extremely soft. I removed one lippy because even after I rubbed the brush in shampoo there was still a bit of foundation left on the brush... so they don't clean as well as mac 187 which always comes out really white when i rub it in shampoo and then rub it under water.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by willh0pkins

These brushes really are amazing. When I first purchased them I used the pixel brush for concealer and the contour brush for powder, but I now find that the contour brush is perfect for blending cream foundations and the pixel is best for lips. However the small foundation brush is not good, after one use it becomes very bristly and hard.