July 23, 2014 | 2258 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Step-by-Step Contour Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by madscientist01

I bought this palette for the contour colour. I have barely used the highlight and bronzer. The highlight is kind of useless, it doesn't show up on my fair skin. Maybe it would work for people with darker skin tones.

The bronzer is ok. It's almost identical in colour to my mac harmony blush, but is even more sheer, so I haven't used it. It's also matte, and a decent bronzer, so i'll use it for the sake of it when I run out of my harmony blush.

The contour colour is fantastic! It's matte, dark (but not too dark if applied lightly), you can build up the colour, it blends nicely, and looks natural! This isn't too orange or too ashy, it's just right. I only bought this palette for this contour colour and it's too expensive to pay $60 every time for a highlight, bronzer, and brush that I don't want. That, and it was very hard to find. I haven't found it since actually. When I run out of this, I have a mac eyeshadow which is a comparable colour that I'll use...though it isn't much more economical. I also have a contour powder from NYX that came in the all i've ever wanted box. This colour is ok. It's too dark for me, and can look dirty if applied excessively. However, it works with a light hand. I'll be looking for a good replacement.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Piwi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent contour kit ; I use it for contour my face and nose and make me look so natural. It is matte and soft; has a good consistency and didn't break me out

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by frugal2

I never had much skill in using make-up so this palette was a wonderful instruction manual on contouring basics and made it super easy for me to follow. It goes on lightly and blends evenly so it's easy to use and there's no fear of creating yourself a "clown face" with too much color. I just wish this was easier to find. Smashbox must have discontinued this product, but why?! Someone on ebay is selling this for $90. that's just insane.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2012 6:39:00 AM More reviews by Candi88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This comes out chalky and is too dark for most skin types and is way over priced I am a professional and really regret purchasing this contour kit next time ill try Ben nye for 8 bucks

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by lesleeann74

This product is much too dark for probably most everyone. Even with the lightest hand it is still quite dark. I thought when I got a mystic tan it might work out ok, but no it's still too dark. I use the bronzer as my contour when I have the said spray tan, but I still have to go very light handed. The packaging and brush are convenient if the product wasn't so dark. Did I mention it's too dark for probably 85% of people?

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Mrquin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would likely buy this again solely because there are not many contouring palettes out there. I love the dark color but the neutral and light colors do not make any difference in my contouring/highlighting. I guess it is good that the colors are not ugly, but I was hoping for something a bit more drastic when it came to highlight. It makes it very easy for beginners to contour, and I like the brush that came with it. I do not use this product every day, but I like it when going out.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I did not like this at all. The idea is great especially for newbies trying to learn the art of contour…however the colours are not good for contouring…I don’t know how anybody can use this without obvious lines. The darkest colour is supposed to create the shadow effect, so you are supposed to use it like under your cheekbone…however it is too dark for a lot of skin tones (I am NC20-25, my mom and sisters tried it and they are darker than me NC35-40) and it showed up as way too obvious for all of us and I am quite good at contouring and blending, so it definitely was not me! The bronzer was okay, nothing special, same as the highlighter, but overall not worth the money, as you can buy these products individually with better quality… I’d recommend smashbox bronze lights in suntanned matte or sunkissed matte as a good contour colour and smashbox soft lights in shimmer as a highlight colour, if you want to contour.
I would have given it a one were it not for the brush, which I now use for contouring with my smashbox bronzer in sunkissed matte. The brush is just the right size for using underneath the cheek bone...like a mini blush brush. It picks up the perfect amount of bronzer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by dioraddict84

As a makeup artist, I love this product, I think it makes it easy for anyone to contour. I don't need the shades because I have them in eye shadows and what not (you can use this as eyeshadow too if you want!) but it's nice to have all the colors together, and the brush is good. I would advise to start contouring lightly, you can always build up the intensity, better to start with less than to overdo it!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2011 3:22:00 AM More reviews by maneater

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I found the instructions really helpful in learning how to contour. The case is functional, with a large mirror and a smaller version of the contouring instructions inside.

The smashbox brush that it comes with is great, I am considering trying some of their brushes in the future.

The shadows themselves were of average quality, I liked the fact that they were matte and go on quite sheer. Easily build able color.

However, I found the bronzer to look orange y/muddy on my skin. It disappointing to see that the highlighter does nothing to illuminate my features. It's simply a matte light colored shadow.

Although I am starting to incorporate contouring more into my routine after using this product, I would definetly buy the colors individually from MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2011 8:53:00 PM More reviews by myohmy

I love love love playing with contouring and picked this kit up when I was in Chicago. The brush is what caught my eye because it is smaller than other cheek angled brushes that I own or have seen around. I have some other smashbox brushes and love them all. If you do get this kit, keep the brush in this plastic covering to keep brush is shape when not in use (will also keep it more clean). Use the angle point of brush to contour nose works but I prefer to use a smaller brush for better control. The palette comes with great insight on here to apply which shade and the colors work perfectly for my in between yellow and pale freckly asian skin. I loved using nyx in taupe for contouring but now I can eliminate three products from my makeup bag (bronzer and highlighter). I have to say that the highlighter in this kit is not as "bright" as I would've liked.. its more like a natural look and is kinda hard to notice on my skintone, still I still love to use this kit for day and night, but at night I would probably use benefit's highbeam for highlighting.

Today I used a densed foundation brush very very similar to the mac short duo fiber brush and take products into the hollows of my cheeks in a stippling motion. Then I used the smashbox brush to apply bronzer and same brush to blend the products. Then I used SB brush again to apply highlighter.