Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit

3.7

on 5/19/2015 10:38:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Contouring! All the rage, we all wanna look like Kimmy K with cheekbones that could put someoneís eye out.

It took me ages to decide which contouring products to buy, in the end I went for this kit because, to be honest, I couldnít be arsed faffing about with separate products. It worked out quite well though! The colours are medium pigment Iíd say, so you can still blend them, but they donít disappear after 5 mins and more importantly the shades are good so you wonít look dirty and/or sparkly.

The contour colour is like a taupe- no red/ orange undertones so it actually looks like shadow when you apply it but manages to not look mucky. The bronzer is a nice warm, matte brown, again not too orange, just enough to liven you up a bit. The highlight is quite yellow based, and again is matte, so it lifts the complexion, but doesnít add shimmer- itíll be down to personal preference whether you think thatís a good thing or not.

Comes with a free brush, ok for practising or shoving in your handbag for touch ups, wouldnít recommend for full time use though, too small and does shed a bit. Also comes with instructions, which are clear and concise and has different sets for all the face shapes. The good thing about Smashbox is if you go to the counter theyíll always give you a tutorial on how to use the products and encourage you to have a go so you know how to use it yourself.

The set is £35 and should last quite a while, if youíre super skint though, I also quickly swatched the Barry M contour kit (about £6.50?) and the colours were similar with the exception of the highlighter is shimmery, however it didnít stay on my hand very long at all so might not be worth it in the long run, swings and round-abouts.

*TIP practise, practise, practise! Also when you first apply your contour youíll probably look like your about to die a death, thatís normal- everything will be ok once youíve got your brows and mascara on!
Xx

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The colours are lovely but this is difficult to blend. I tried to both contour and bronze and was left with two separate streaks that were difficult to blend. The brush is useless and worse than my ELF angled brush. If I manage to get the right brush to blend it with then I will change the rating to 5 stars.

on 2/17/2015 2:08:00 PM

Not a fan. This product was super chalky. I ended up with more all over my vanity then on my face. When I did manage to get some on my face it was hard to control. It ended up everywhere instead of just the areas I was trying to contour. It was also a little too dark for me. I ended up returning it.

on 2/12/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been trying several different contouring kits and so far this is my favorite. The reason why is that the contour shade is a cool toned taupey brown, it also offers a warm bronze shade in addition to the highlight shade. The powders are pigmented and blendable. I was able to get the depth that I want from my contour shade. I found the same thing to be true of the highlight shade and the bronze shade although I don't find that to be as important as the contour. Others I've tried - Kat von D Shade + Light Palette, Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit and Makeup Forever Sculpting Kit.

on 2/5/2015 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i'm a fair skinned and it can be tough to buy a contour shade that doesn't look muddy or dirty on my skin. i like the contour shade, and the bronzer, but the highlight doesn't show up. i use it as an eyeshadow base now, but i don't think it does anything. the little brush that comes with the palette is pretty great, and the amount of product in the pans is so much i can't imagine when i'll have to repurchase and i use it daily. the mirror is also really good and i use it a lot when traveling because it's a good size. overall, this is a good product, but i'll keep searching when i finally finish it.

on 1/27/2015 3:41:00 PM

I'm from Australia and it is so darn hard to purchase Kevyn Aucion's contour powder (I have since purchased online) so I had to settle for Smashbox's take on the contour palette. I was looking for a contour product that has a grey undertone and the contouring colour in this palette fits the bill perfectly. It gives a very subtle, natural looking contour. The letdown is its longevity. It lasts approximately 3 hours on my face before it fades to nothing. I've worn it with a primer, on top of a setting powder and finally sprayed it with a setting spray and still, 3 short hours is all I get out of this powder. The bronzer is best described as "meh" - nothing special. The "highlighter" shade is ok. I use it to set my under eye concealer as its a little to "pasty" looking on my cheekbones. It doesn't exactly brighten the eye area but it's good to use on those days that I'm going for the minimal makeup look. All in all, it's just ok. Not mind-blown or anything like that but I would definitely look for something that has a longer lasting power. Will not repurchase.

on 12/8/2014 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I think the problem here with some folks thinking it's 'too dark' is the fact that they don't realize that the contour shade is an ACTUAL CONTOUR shade that is made to create shadows on the face (hence the gray tone in it). This is NOT the color you place all over your face, you WILL look strange. That is what the bronze color is for! For me, this palette is great b/c I have been searching high and low for a true 'contour' shade that had enough gray in it to create the proper shadow needed to contour and highlight the CORRECT way. I am an NC20-NC25 ish and I really love this palette and definitely recommend! The brush is comes with it nice, too, although I only use it for the contour part.

on 11/29/2014 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have discovered contouring with this product. I feel like I don't even know what it was before. This product is universal easy way to teach yourself, you just kinda find your faces a natural shadows. I fell like it blends very well into my neutral skintone, but it may be to dark for fair skin. I think there should be a Light, Medium, and Dark option. Also points off because it maybe last three hours max. That said I can still blend it in well and I'm happy to have this in my beauty wardrobe.

on 10/17/2014 1:22:00 PM

Surprised how much I am using this.
Highlighter on bridge of nose, sometimes eyes, brow bone, cupids bow, for evenings i've even subbed it to set and brighten under eye (topped with setting spray or it would be very powdery).
Bronzer works great, not the best for lasting power but I like the color, more tan than orange.

Favorite is the contouring color, very similar to Hoola but darker.

Overall a very handy set and I would recommend.

For skin color reference I am approx. NW25 MAC, Dior Hydralife BB in Sunny Amber.

on 9/26/2014 11:58:00 AM

So I was dying to try this kit...but am a bit disappointed. The bronzer colour doesn't really show up. Also I find the consistency too powdery...I have dust all over everything when I'm done applying it. Maybe I'm just picky...I'll use it until it's gone, but no plans to repurchase.

Popular Palettes