December 18, 2014 | 1392 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Step-by-Step Contour Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by smatte77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think the problem here with some folks thinking it's 'too dark' is the fact that they don't realize that the contour shade is an ACTUAL CONTOUR shade that is made to create shadows on the face (hence the gray tone in it). This is NOT the color you place all over your face, you WILL look strange. That is what the bronze color is for! For me, this palette is great b/c I have been searching high and low for a true 'contour' shade that had enough gray in it to create the proper shadow needed to contour and highlight the CORRECT way. I am an NC20-NC25 ish and I really love this palette and definitely recommend! The brush is comes with it nice, too, although I only use it for the contour part.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2014 6:05:00 PM More reviews by VeruskaRai

I have discovered contouring with this product. I feel like I don't even know what it was before. This product is universal easy way to teach yourself, you just kinda find your faces a natural shadows. I fell like it blends very well into my neutral skintone, but it may be to dark for fair skin. I think there should be a Light, Medium, and Dark option. Also points off because it maybe last three hours max. That said I can still blend it in well and I'm happy to have this in my beauty wardrobe.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Griffin13

Surprised how much I am using this.
Highlighter on bridge of nose, sometimes eyes, brow bone, cupids bow, for evenings i've even subbed it to set and brighten under eye (topped with setting spray or it would be very powdery).
Bronzer works great, not the best for lasting power but I like the color, more tan than orange.

Favorite is the contouring color, very similar to Hoola but darker.

Overall a very handy set and I would recommend.

For skin color reference I am approx. NW25 MAC, Dior Hydralife BB in Sunny Amber.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2014 11:58:00 AM More reviews by suziemitchell

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So I was dying to try this kit...but am a bit disappointed. The bronzer colour doesn't really show up. Also I find the consistency too powdery...I have dust all over everything when I'm done applying it. Maybe I'm just picky...I'll use it until it's gone, but no plans to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by madscientist01

I bought this palette for the contour colour. I have barely used the highlight and bronzer. The highlight is kind of useless, it doesn't show up on my fair skin. Maybe it would work for people with darker skin tones.

The bronzer is ok. It's almost identical in colour to my mac harmony blush, but is even more sheer, so I haven't used it. It's also matte, and a decent bronzer, so i'll use it for the sake of it when I run out of my harmony blush.

The contour colour is fantastic! It's matte, dark (but not too dark if applied lightly), you can build up the colour, it blends nicely, and looks natural! This isn't too orange or too ashy, it's just right. I only bought this palette for this contour colour and it's too expensive to pay $60 every time for a highlight, bronzer, and brush that I don't want. That, and it was very hard to find. I haven't found it since actually. When I run out of this, I have a mac eyeshadow which is a comparable colour that I'll use...though it isn't much more economical. I also have a contour powder from NYX that came in the all i've ever wanted box. This colour is ok. It's too dark for me, and can look dirty if applied excessively. However, it works with a light hand. I'll be looking for a good replacement.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Piwi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent contour kit ; I use it for contour my face and nose and make me look so natural. It is matte and soft; has a good consistency and didn't break me out

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by frugal2

I never had much skill in using make-up so this palette was a wonderful instruction manual on contouring basics and made it super easy for me to follow. It goes on lightly and blends evenly so it's easy to use and there's no fear of creating yourself a "clown face" with too much color. I just wish this was easier to find. Smashbox must have discontinued this product, but why?! Someone on ebay is selling this for $90. that's just insane.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2012 6:39:00 AM More reviews by Candi88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This comes out chalky and is too dark for most skin types and is way over priced I am a professional and really regret purchasing this contour kit next time ill try Ben nye for 8 bucks

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by lesleeann74

This product is much too dark for probably most everyone. Even with the lightest hand it is still quite dark. I thought when I got a mystic tan it might work out ok, but no it's still too dark. I use the bronzer as my contour when I have the said spray tan, but I still have to go very light handed. The packaging and brush are convenient if the product wasn't so dark. Did I mention it's too dark for probably 85% of people?

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Mrquin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would likely buy this again solely because there are not many contouring palettes out there. I love the dark color but the neutral and light colors do not make any difference in my contouring/highlighting. I guess it is good that the colors are not ugly, but I was hoping for something a bit more drastic when it came to highlight. It makes it very easy for beginners to contour, and I like the brush that came with it. I do not use this product every day, but I like it when going out.