Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit

3.9

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Been using it for over a year now on my skin being NC30-42 and it worked perfectly on me with my natural skin tone as well as when I was tan. I apply a bronzer lightly where ever I contour, and then use the contouring shade, a couple of layers under cheeks for it to show up well on my tanned skin. I've seen some reviews stating that this bronzer is orange and then that they're NC15 or so. Well obviously, if you're very fair, pretty much any bronzer is gonna be orange, but if you're at least medium like NC30, the bronzer in this kit is not gonna be orange on you at all! I had a ton of bronzers before and this is actually the best one along with MAC Bronzing Powder.
Now, onto the contour shade, I was pretty much obsessed with it, but to be honest, Balm Bahama Mama is really similar once it's on my skin, it's just darker and more bronze, so overall it actually is better for my liking, as I don't need to build it up for it to actually show up as much as I want. So if you're anywhere near my shade searching just for a contouring shade and may I add, you're more into flawless makeup look than invisible au naturel, I would totally recommend getting Balm's bronzer.
Anyway, the main reason why I'm still obsessed with this kit after such a long time is the highlight shade. It's perfect for under eyes and anywhere else you wanna highlight! Thought if you're quite tan, it's better to start off lightly and see if you need anymore, because when I got it for the first time, I was overly excited about the highlight shade and was piling it on under my eyes for a Kim K look from the past not realizing that a little goes a lot way with this shade, it seems to be more pigmented than the bronzer and contour shades, which I didn't realize at first! Anyway, I've been searching high and low for contouring and highlighting shades that are better than in this palette and surprisingly there are none, so I guess it's time to admit that this kit is perfect! Hope it helps guys :)

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I actually love this, the contour shade is very cool toned so looks natural and I actually like the matte highlight, it's great for brightening the under eye area and a good alternative to shimmer highlights if you don't want to sparkle that day. I found the powders to be really soft and easy to work with. I rated this only 4 because the bronzer shade does lean a little bit orange, but it's still useable with a light hand. Love the packaging too!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

The palate I have is the light/medium. The colors in this pallate work well with my skin tone! At first I thought it would be too light, but it's perfect! This palate makes contouring super easy! Although This is my second pallate and I have a little bit of experience, this has by far given me the best results!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

FOR FIRST TIME CONTOURERS THIS IS PERFECT!
I was new to contouring and got the smash box contour kit. I now can do a contour in under 5 minutes. This product was great and simple to help with step by step and could be subtle or as dramatic as I would like it. Now that I have mastered using this kit I am thinking about moving up to a kit with a few more options and a little more depth. If I don't find one I like I will come back to the very trusty smashbox kit. I love it!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Like a few other reviewers, I am very new to contouring. This is my first kit, recommended by a Sephora employee. I like it, but at the same time... for me, it's just not the best.

I am VERY fair with cool undertones, so when I bought this, I was pleased to see that the darkest shade was a very cool brown. It's perfect for me. The rest of the palette is not perfect.
The bronzer, for instance, is VERY orange. On my skin, it looks like I sprayed a fake tan all over myself. Even when I use it sparingly, it just ends up far too noticeable and fake-looking. The highlight is useless altogether; it is essentially the same shade as my skin and thus doesn't brighten anything or bring it forward.

I gave this a decent rating because it is a high quality product, and it would work well for other people. But if you're very fair like I am, skip this and just get a single, cool brown shadow and contour with that instead.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Seriously, I mostly come here to read reviews but I feel like I have to write a review on this Contour Kit! I think all three colours are spot on (For my skin tone that is)! Sometimes the ashy color doesn't blend quite as nicely but it has to do with the foundation I'm wearing underneath. The highlight shade is amazing!!! It brightens my under eyes so well and overall this kit really gives my face more structure. I love it!!

This is the first contouring kit I have even owned and I'm very new to contouring so I decided that I needed a bronzer, contour, and highlight shade and this fit the bill perfectly. I also didn't want to buy a big palette because I know I'd only use a few of the shades anyway. I like this kit because the contour shade is a nice cool shade (think taupe) and so it really does mimic shadows on your face without being muddy. The bronzer is quite nice as well, warm without being too orange. The highlight shade is alright but I'm quite fair so I do have to apply quite a lot for it to show up. The contour and bronzer are both matte shades, as for the highlight it has a bit of a sheen to it which I kind of like as it reflects light off your face. I also liked the step by step contouring instructions for each face shape that come with it. The only thing I don't really like is that there is quite a bit of product fall out from the palette and the brush it comes with isn't very good. Not only is the brush small but just poor quality. I use it to contour the sides of my nose only but I would strongly recommend getting a different brush to use with this palette. Overall, I think it's a great palette for starters and I really like the shades of this palette.

I am certainly not an expert when it comes to contouring. I love make up and wanted to try the new contouring method out, but I was aware that I don't have a lot of time in the morning so I couldn't spend an hour just contouring my face! I needed something, easy to apply, affective and quick. This step- by step palette ticks all of them boxes for me. The smashbox palette contains a dark shade for contouring, a medium shade of bronze to blend out and a highlighter. This kit also includes a contouring brush which I was impressed with. On the mirror of the palette it has a picture of a girls face showing you where to put what product & step by step instructions. I also was very impressed with this and it has helped me a lot when I first began to contour. It is very easy to apply. I don't notice a huge difference in my face. If I forgot to contour one evening I wouldn't feel bad for not wearing it, but when you are going for a special night out it gives you that extra boost! Overall great product & does what it says on the tin!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Omg. I love this thing.

I have tried loads of contouring makeup and highlighters over the past two years, powders and creams - all sorts. I've been using Clinique chubby contour but it's a little too much like a bronzer.

This palette is perfect. Literally perfect for my skin tone.

I love that the highlight is not shimmery, the contour is exactly the right colour to give a shadow without looking like make up, and the bronzer is just wonderful.

You know those Pinterest contouring pictures? I can actually do that now!

It was expensive, about £35, but you know what? It's perfect. I cannot emphasise that enough. PERFECT.

(Also the staying power is great, the brush is a good size, and the packaging is sturdy but attractive. But the colours are perfect in case I didn't mention that)

I have played with contouring before with some Too Faced Chocolate Soleil and Benefit High Beam, but I wanted to try a nice contouring kit that was designed to be used together, was in a convenient compact, and came with a contouring brush. This Smashbox kit seemed to be perfect. I bought it at Sephora for $45, which I feel is a little expensive considering the amount of product you get.

I followed the instructions, putting the contour shade (left) in an E shape on my temple, hollow under cheekbone, edges of my nose, and jawline. Then I buffed the bronzer (middle shade) onto the cheekbone. Finally, I put the highlight shade (right) onto the tops of my cheekbones, center of forehead, center of nose, cupidís bow, and chin. The contouring shade is nice and cool, and doesnít look orange at all. The bronzer shade is a little orange, but paired with the cool contour shade, it adds depth and dimension to the contour. The highlight shade is the most disappointing, since itís close to my skin color and doesnít really highlight much.

Overall, Iím happy with the contour and bronzing shades, but I donít think Iíll be using much of the highlight. Iím really enjoying the Hourglass Ambient Light Palette more than this one, as I feel the subtle shimmer adds more dimension to my face and makes it look healthy and glowy, whereas this Smashbox palette makes me look a little too matte. This palette is good for a really defined, stand-out look, while the Ambient Light palette is better for a natural, everyday look.

Popular Contour ProductsProducts