Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my first contour kit, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. I think my issue with this is not the actual product itself, but the fact that its a kit. Everything is so small so it really limits what type of brush you can use. I have the BECCA contour brush that's pretty big, and I can only get product on like the very tip of the brush. Don't even bother with the brush it came with.

I'm not really sure why i bought this. I use the smashbox matte bronzer, laura mercier matte highlighter and nars laguna blush. BUT! I don't really dislike it, i just find it unnecessary. Not much product, it will be gone fast, and i don't see a need to repurchase.

on 7/26/2015 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I think that this is worth the money, the quality is really good and is great especially for presents for someone or anyone who wants to try new makeup

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have been dying for a contouring palette and when I got my makeup done at Mecca recently I was rapped when I noticed she used this on me as it worked perfectly.

I however, am unable to master it!!

First of all, the packaging is great. I loved it. The brush is horrible, do not use it. It is too brissly for me and does not blend well at all.

Highlighter - Not so much a highlighter for me, takes a lot of product for it to even remotely highlight my skin. Better off used as something to set your makeup with.

Contour - I did not like this colour on my skin at all. It could be because I am used to contouring with a bronzer, the two are totally different. I also found it very difficult to blend into my skin and found it stuck to places I didn't want it to and rubbed off my foundation when I tried to blend it in.

Bronzer - Great colour, however I would use my Benefit Hoola Bronzer anyday over this purely just because the Benefit bronzer contains more product. Can be hard to differentiate between the two if you are in a rush.

If I ran out of this product I probably wouldn't buy it again. I was dying for a contour kit and was dissapointed in how much I DONT use this. Off to the shops I go....

on 6/16/2015 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The bronzer is nice for pale skin like me if you use a light hand. I prefer this to benefit hoola for daytime. The contour does not blend well for me as I wear quite a lot of foundation and feel it rubs that away which is a shame. Works good at night where I can be heavier with the contour. Highlight does not really highlight but I do use it to set the other parts of my makeup which helps mystify my oily skin which is nice

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I purchased this product as I had some boots points so it had to be from them and not out of choice. First off the free brush is useless but I thought that with it being included but was useful for brushing away any fallen pigment from my eyeshadow. But your better off using the real technics brushes for contouring. I used to use sleeks contouring kit but wanting to try a higher end brand to see if they are better. Honestly sleek does just as well for £6.50! It's a nice touch having a bronzer included but if you in a rush you can forget which is the contour and which is bronzer.. Also it's hard to not get the next shade on your brush, they very close together. Highlighter is good and gives a good glow, contour isn't over the top so you can build up or build your confidence. It's a good all rounder but for the price I prefer sleek. And the bronzer ... Well there is nicer ones on the market.

on 5/19/2015 10:38:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Contouring! All the rage, we all wanna look like Kimmy K with cheekbones that could put someoneís eye out.

It took me ages to decide which contouring products to buy, in the end I went for this kit because, to be honest, I couldnít be arsed faffing about with separate products. It worked out quite well though! The colours are medium pigment Iíd say, so you can still blend them, but they donít disappear after 5 mins and more importantly the shades are good so you wonít look dirty and/or sparkly.

The contour colour is like a taupe- no red/ orange undertones so it actually looks like shadow when you apply it but manages to not look mucky. The bronzer is a nice warm, matte brown, again not too orange, just enough to liven you up a bit. The highlight is quite yellow based, and again is matte, so it lifts the complexion, but doesnít add shimmer- itíll be down to personal preference whether you think thatís a good thing or not.

Comes with a free brush, ok for practising or shoving in your handbag for touch ups, wouldnít recommend for full time use though, too small and does shed a bit. Also comes with instructions, which are clear and concise and has different sets for all the face shapes. The good thing about Smashbox is if you go to the counter theyíll always give you a tutorial on how to use the products and encourage you to have a go so you know how to use it yourself.

The set is £35 and should last quite a while, if youíre super skint though, I also quickly swatched the Barry M contour kit (about £6.50?) and the colours were similar with the exception of the highlighter is shimmery, however it didnít stay on my hand very long at all so might not be worth it in the long run, swings and round-abouts.

*TIP practise, practise, practise! Also when you first apply your contour youíll probably look like your about to die a death, thatís normal- everything will be ok once youíve got your brows and mascara on!
Xx

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The colours are lovely but this is difficult to blend. I tried to both contour and bronze and was left with two separate streaks that were difficult to blend. The brush is useless and worse than my ELF angled brush. If I manage to get the right brush to blend it with then I will change the rating to 5 stars.

on 2/17/2015 2:08:00 PM

Not a fan. This product was super chalky. I ended up with more all over my vanity then on my face. When I did manage to get some on my face it was hard to control. It ended up everywhere instead of just the areas I was trying to contour. It was also a little too dark for me. I ended up returning it.

on 2/12/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been trying several different contouring kits and so far this is my favorite. The reason why is that the contour shade is a cool toned taupey brown, it also offers a warm bronze shade in addition to the highlight shade. The powders are pigmented and blendable. I was able to get the depth that I want from my contour shade. I found the same thing to be true of the highlight shade and the bronze shade although I don't find that to be as important as the contour. Others I've tried - Kat von D Shade + Light Palette, Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit and Makeup Forever Sculpting Kit.

on 2/5/2015 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i'm a fair skinned and it can be tough to buy a contour shade that doesn't look muddy or dirty on my skin. i like the contour shade, and the bronzer, but the highlight doesn't show up. i use it as an eyeshadow base now, but i don't think it does anything. the little brush that comes with the palette is pretty great, and the amount of product in the pans is so much i can't imagine when i'll have to repurchase and i use it daily. the mirror is also really good and i use it a lot when traveling because it's a good size. overall, this is a good product, but i'll keep searching when i finally finish it.

Popular Palettes