Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit

3.7

on 2/17/2015 2:08:00 PM

Not a fan. This product was super chalky. I ended up with more all over my vanity then on my face. When I did manage to get some on my face it was hard to control. It ended up everywhere instead of just the areas I was trying to contour. It was also a little too dark for me. I ended up returning it.

on 2/12/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been trying several different contouring kits and so far this is my favorite. The reason why is that the contour shade is a cool toned taupey brown, it also offers a warm bronze shade in addition to the highlight shade. The powders are pigmented and blendable. I was able to get the depth that I want from my contour shade. I found the same thing to be true of the highlight shade and the bronze shade although I don't find that to be as important as the contour. Others I've tried - Kat von D Shade + Light Palette, Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit and Makeup Forever Sculpting Kit.

on 2/5/2015 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i'm a fair skinned and it can be tough to buy a contour shade that doesn't look muddy or dirty on my skin. i like the contour shade, and the bronzer, but the highlight doesn't show up. i use it as an eyeshadow base now, but i don't think it does anything. the little brush that comes with the palette is pretty great, and the amount of product in the pans is so much i can't imagine when i'll have to repurchase and i use it daily. the mirror is also really good and i use it a lot when traveling because it's a good size. overall, this is a good product, but i'll keep searching when i finally finish it.

on 1/27/2015 3:41:00 PM

I'm from Australia and it is so darn hard to purchase Kevyn Aucion's contour powder (I have since purchased online) so I had to settle for Smashbox's take on the contour palette. I was looking for a contour product that has a grey undertone and the contouring colour in this palette fits the bill perfectly. It gives a very subtle, natural looking contour. The letdown is its longevity. It lasts approximately 3 hours on my face before it fades to nothing. I've worn it with a primer, on top of a setting powder and finally sprayed it with a setting spray and still, 3 short hours is all I get out of this powder. The bronzer is best described as "meh" - nothing special. The "highlighter" shade is ok. I use it to set my under eye concealer as its a little to "pasty" looking on my cheekbones. It doesn't exactly brighten the eye area but it's good to use on those days that I'm going for the minimal makeup look. All in all, it's just ok. Not mind-blown or anything like that but I would definitely look for something that has a longer lasting power. Will not repurchase.

on 12/8/2014 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I think the problem here with some folks thinking it's 'too dark' is the fact that they don't realize that the contour shade is an ACTUAL CONTOUR shade that is made to create shadows on the face (hence the gray tone in it). This is NOT the color you place all over your face, you WILL look strange. That is what the bronze color is for! For me, this palette is great b/c I have been searching high and low for a true 'contour' shade that had enough gray in it to create the proper shadow needed to contour and highlight the CORRECT way. I am an NC20-NC25 ish and I really love this palette and definitely recommend! The brush is comes with it nice, too, although I only use it for the contour part.

on 11/29/2014 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have discovered contouring with this product. I feel like I don't even know what it was before. This product is universal easy way to teach yourself, you just kinda find your faces a natural shadows. I fell like it blends very well into my neutral skintone, but it may be to dark for fair skin. I think there should be a Light, Medium, and Dark option. Also points off because it maybe last three hours max. That said I can still blend it in well and I'm happy to have this in my beauty wardrobe.

on 10/17/2014 1:22:00 PM

Surprised how much I am using this.
Highlighter on bridge of nose, sometimes eyes, brow bone, cupids bow, for evenings i've even subbed it to set and brighten under eye (topped with setting spray or it would be very powdery).
Bronzer works great, not the best for lasting power but I like the color, more tan than orange.

Favorite is the contouring color, very similar to Hoola but darker.

Overall a very handy set and I would recommend.

For skin color reference I am approx. NW25 MAC, Dior Hydralife BB in Sunny Amber.

on 9/26/2014 11:58:00 AM

So I was dying to try this kit...but am a bit disappointed. The bronzer colour doesn't really show up. Also I find the consistency too powdery...I have dust all over everything when I'm done applying it. Maybe I'm just picky...I'll use it until it's gone, but no plans to repurchase.

I bought this palette for the contour colour. I have barely used the highlight and bronzer. The highlight is kind of useless, it doesn't show up on my fair skin. Maybe it would work for people with darker skin tones.

The bronzer is ok. It's almost identical in colour to my mac harmony blush, but is even more sheer, so I haven't used it. It's also matte, and a decent bronzer, so i'll use it for the sake of it when I run out of my harmony blush.

The contour colour is fantastic! It's matte, dark (but not too dark if applied lightly), you can build up the colour, it blends nicely, and looks natural! This isn't too orange or too ashy, it's just right. I only bought this palette for this contour colour and it's too expensive to pay $60 every time for a highlight, bronzer, and brush that I don't want. That, and it was very hard to find. I haven't found it since actually. When I run out of this, I have a mac eyeshadow which is a comparable colour that I'll use...though it isn't much more economical. I also have a contour powder from NYX that came in the all i've ever wanted box. This colour is ok. It's too dark for me, and can look dirty if applied excessively. However, it works with a light hand. I'll be looking for a good replacement.

on 6/21/2013 10:27:00 AM

Excellent contour kit ; I use it for contour my face and nose and make me look so natural. It is matte and soft; has a good consistency and didn't break me out

Top Rated Smashbox Products