Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit

I am certainly not an expert when it comes to contouring. I love make up and wanted to try the new contouring method out, but I was aware that I don't have a lot of time in the morning so I couldn't spend an hour just contouring my face! I needed something, easy to apply, affective and quick. This step- by step palette ticks all of them boxes for me. The smashbox palette contains a dark shade for contouring, a medium shade of bronze to blend out and a highlighter. This kit also includes a contouring brush which I was impressed with. On the mirror of the palette it has a picture of a girls face showing you where to put what product & step by step instructions. I also was very impressed with this and it has helped me a lot when I first began to contour. It is very easy to apply. I don't notice a huge difference in my face. If I forgot to contour one evening I wouldn't feel bad for not wearing it, but when you are going for a special night out it gives you that extra boost! Overall great product & does what it says on the tin!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Omg. I love this thing.

I have tried loads of contouring makeup and highlighters over the past two years, powders and creams - all sorts. I've been using Clinique chubby contour but it's a little too much like a bronzer.

This palette is perfect. Literally perfect for my skin tone.

I love that the highlight is not shimmery, the contour is exactly the right colour to give a shadow without looking like make up, and the bronzer is just wonderful.

You know those Pinterest contouring pictures? I can actually do that now!

It was expensive, about £35, but you know what? It's perfect. I cannot emphasise that enough. PERFECT.

(Also the staying power is great, the brush is a good size, and the packaging is sturdy but attractive. But the colours are perfect in case I didn't mention that)

I have played with contouring before with some Too Faced Chocolate Soleil and Benefit High Beam, but I wanted to try a nice contouring kit that was designed to be used together, was in a convenient compact, and came with a contouring brush. This Smashbox kit seemed to be perfect. I bought it at Sephora for $45, which I feel is a little expensive considering the amount of product you get.

I followed the instructions, putting the contour shade (left) in an E shape on my temple, hollow under cheekbone, edges of my nose, and jawline. Then I buffed the bronzer (middle shade) onto the cheekbone. Finally, I put the highlight shade (right) onto the tops of my cheekbones, center of forehead, center of nose, cupidís bow, and chin. The contouring shade is nice and cool, and doesnít look orange at all. The bronzer shade is a little orange, but paired with the cool contour shade, it adds depth and dimension to the contour. The highlight shade is the most disappointing, since itís close to my skin color and doesnít really highlight much.

Overall, Iím happy with the contour and bronzing shades, but I donít think Iíll be using much of the highlight. Iím really enjoying the Hourglass Ambient Light Palette more than this one, as I feel the subtle shimmer adds more dimension to my face and makes it look healthy and glowy, whereas this Smashbox palette makes me look a little too matte. This palette is good for a really defined, stand-out look, while the Ambient Light palette is better for a natural, everyday look.

on 8/16/2015 10:11:00 PM

I was interested in buying something simple for contouring, like the sticks, but they were too dark for my NW15-20 skin, so I got talked into this kit. I got the Light/Medium. "Look, it even comes with a brush" the SA at Sephora said enthusiastically. The brush was so horrible, I almost returned the kit for that reason alone. It shed these little black pellets all over my face that were hard to remove, so I wound up with all of these red splotches on my face. As for the kit, the highlighter didn't highlight at all, nor do I like or understand highlighters that don't have any shimmer. It just looks to me like a face powder that is too dark for my skintone. The contour was okay, but it almost didn't create enough of a shadow. And the bronzer had too much red in it. I want to look tan, not sunburned. At $45, there was no way I was keeping this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my first contour kit, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. I think my issue with this is not the actual product itself, but the fact that its a kit. Everything is so small so it really limits what type of brush you can use. I have the BECCA contour brush that's pretty big, and I can only get product on like the very tip of the brush. Don't even bother with the brush it came with.

I'm not really sure why i bought this. I use the smashbox matte bronzer, laura mercier matte highlighter and nars laguna blush. BUT! I don't really dislike it, i just find it unnecessary. Not much product, it will be gone fast, and i don't see a need to repurchase.

on 7/26/2015 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I think that this is worth the money, the quality is really good and is great especially for presents for someone or anyone who wants to try new makeup

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have been dying for a contouring palette and when I got my makeup done at Mecca recently I was rapped when I noticed she used this on me as it worked perfectly.

I however, am unable to master it!!

First of all, the packaging is great. I loved it. The brush is horrible, do not use it. It is too brissly for me and does not blend well at all.

Highlighter - Not so much a highlighter for me, takes a lot of product for it to even remotely highlight my skin. Better off used as something to set your makeup with.

Contour - I did not like this colour on my skin at all. It could be because I am used to contouring with a bronzer, the two are totally different. I also found it very difficult to blend into my skin and found it stuck to places I didn't want it to and rubbed off my foundation when I tried to blend it in.

Bronzer - Great colour, however I would use my Benefit Hoola Bronzer anyday over this purely just because the Benefit bronzer contains more product. Can be hard to differentiate between the two if you are in a rush.

If I ran out of this product I probably wouldn't buy it again. I was dying for a contour kit and was dissapointed in how much I DONT use this. Off to the shops I go....

on 6/16/2015 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The bronzer is nice for pale skin like me if you use a light hand. I prefer this to benefit hoola for daytime. The contour does not blend well for me as I wear quite a lot of foundation and feel it rubs that away which is a shame. Works good at night where I can be heavier with the contour. Highlight does not really highlight but I do use it to set the other parts of my makeup which helps mystify my oily skin which is nice

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I purchased this product as I had some boots points so it had to be from them and not out of choice. First off the free brush is useless but I thought that with it being included but was useful for brushing away any fallen pigment from my eyeshadow. But your better off using the real technics brushes for contouring. I used to use sleeks contouring kit but wanting to try a higher end brand to see if they are better. Honestly sleek does just as well for £6.50! It's a nice touch having a bronzer included but if you in a rush you can forget which is the contour and which is bronzer.. Also it's hard to not get the next shade on your brush, they very close together. Highlighter is good and gives a good glow, contour isn't over the top so you can build up or build your confidence. It's a good all rounder but for the price I prefer sleek. And the bronzer ... Well there is nicer ones on the market.

on 5/19/2015 10:38:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Contouring! All the rage, we all wanna look like Kimmy K with cheekbones that could put someoneís eye out.

It took me ages to decide which contouring products to buy, in the end I went for this kit because, to be honest, I couldnít be arsed faffing about with separate products. It worked out quite well though! The colours are medium pigment Iíd say, so you can still blend them, but they donít disappear after 5 mins and more importantly the shades are good so you wonít look dirty and/or sparkly.

The contour colour is like a taupe- no red/ orange undertones so it actually looks like shadow when you apply it but manages to not look mucky. The bronzer is a nice warm, matte brown, again not too orange, just enough to liven you up a bit. The highlight is quite yellow based, and again is matte, so it lifts the complexion, but doesnít add shimmer- itíll be down to personal preference whether you think thatís a good thing or not.

Comes with a free brush, ok for practising or shoving in your handbag for touch ups, wouldnít recommend for full time use though, too small and does shed a bit. Also comes with instructions, which are clear and concise and has different sets for all the face shapes. The good thing about Smashbox is if you go to the counter theyíll always give you a tutorial on how to use the products and encourage you to have a go so you know how to use it yourself.

The set is £35 and should last quite a while, if youíre super skint though, I also quickly swatched the Barry M contour kit (about £6.50?) and the colours were similar with the exception of the highlighter is shimmery, however it didnít stay on my hand very long at all so might not be worth it in the long run, swings and round-abouts.

*TIP practise, practise, practise! Also when you first apply your contour youíll probably look like your about to die a death, thatís normal- everything will be ok once youíve got your brows and mascara on!

Top Rated Smashbox Products