September 18, 2014 | 1800 users online

Shampoo - Sebamed - Anti-Hairloss Shampoo

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2011 8:28:00 PM More reviews by sarah2202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is for the Anti-Hair Loss version. It's a clear white gel with a minty scent. $20 CDN for a 200 mL bottle.

Let me start by saying that my skin and scalp are VERY sensitive. I find most shampoos too harsh. Even baby shampoo dries out my scalp and hair.

I used a small amount of this shampoo every day for about a week and I liked it. I liked the way my hair felt afterwards, clean but not stripped. My hair loss seemed to slow down immediately. There were lots of baby hairs sprouting along my hair line, which is exactly what I wanted. I was in love!

However, after about 5 days I noticed at least 10 huge pimples on my scalp, particularly along my hairline. The bottle says that your scalp may be irritated by initial applications, so I suppose the irritation caused my pimples. I stopped using it and for the past few days have returned to my favourite shampoo ever, Selsun Blue 2-in-1.

I use this about once a week without any problems. Would not buy again because of the horrible breakout it caused.

PSA: For women experiencing hair loss, you should be aware that there are many possible causes including but not limited to: Folliculitis (fungal or bacterial), DHT on the scalp, seborrheic dermatitis. In my case my free testosterone was through the roof. I got this under control with the pill but I recently learned that folliculitis is another issue for me (people who have been on antibiotics for acne, like me, are particularly susceptible to this type of infection).

Update: I've noticed that this seems to cause my hair to fall out at the roots. Strands will fall out that have about 2mm of white coating (like myelin), with a squiggly 1mm long piece of black hair at the end which I am assuming is the root. Normally when my hair falls out, there is just a little bit of the white coating at the end - the root is still in my head. Scary stuff..