Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner

4.2

Not tested on animals

Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Derived), Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Rapeseed Oil Derived), Coco Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut Derived), Dehydroacetic Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate (Fruit Derived), Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum).* Certified Organic.

on 4/6/2015 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have 2c, coarse, low porosity, normal elasticity and low-med density hair.

I purchased this since I could only purchase the 2 bottles left of my HG Alba Botanica Volumizing Conditioner on iHerb to lessen the shipping fee. I've read rave reviews about this, although I also read that the new formula is nowhere as good as the old one.

I use only one conditioner to cowash, as RO and LI. Multiple products gives me headache. I usually use a mousse with -cones that requires at least cetrimonium chloride to wash out with cowash, but I've been busting out my DIY okra gel.

Now, that gel is a real test. That's my first attempt on DIY hair styler with a lot of hold. I did get a lot hold, but it makes my hair so hard and crunchy as heck. Fortunately for me, mixing it with conditioner, ergo turning it into a hair styling cream, actually turns it into a great styling product for my wavy hair.

This conditioner cleans my scalp nicely and leaves my (wet) hair feeling silky, also gives my hair the body it needs. But despite of baptismal rinsing and putting some back into my hair as LI, my dry hair (I air-dry) still feels a bit rough. Granted, I've been neglecting pre-wash oil treatment and hair mask for quite a while now, but it doesn't happen with my regular standby: Alba Botanica Volumizing Conditioner and The Body Shop Banana Conditioner. Smoothing a dab of oil resolves the issue somewhat, but it doesn't feel as soft as with the other 2 mentioned.

It still does clump my waves nicely, though. So I guess I'll just be using it up and praying to the universe that iHerb and/or Vitacost will restock the Alba Botanica Volumizing Conditioner again. I originally would rate this product 3.5 at best. But since I see quite a bit potential to make it workable without too much effort, guess I can be generous to round it up.

I may repurchase, but it's definitely not a staple.

on 9/8/2014 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My new favourite conditioner, hands down. I have been using Jessicurl's conditioner Too Shea for a long time, but I have now started using this. All other conditioners left my hair either dry, tangled or greasy - who would have thought a conditioner this cheap would perform so well? Both Too Shea and this have shea butter in them, an ingredient that my hair really likes. They both have similar scents as well, Too Shea being more like a tropical orange-coconut scent and this pure coconut. I like that this comes in a tube instead of a bottle, it means I can get the last bit out easier.

This makes my hair really soft, untangles and makes my hair smell wonderful, for 6 dollars instead of 22 dollars! Highly recommend it.

on 7/31/2014 11:11:00 AM

I want to start off by saying I have very dry frizzy wavy thick hair. Its not damaged because I havent used heat or color in a really long time ita just naturally dry. I always used higher end shampoos and conditioner and leave ins serums etc. because well they made my hair feel and look like a million bucks. But after time I think my hair got sick of all the proteins and silicones And the harsh sulfates it started breaking and it was just horrid. I was watching youtube veidoes like always and decided Id give this the coconut duo a try because it got a lot of good reviews. (and I def wanted to go more natural with my haircare)The smell is FANTASTIC. IM addicted to coconut,vanilla ,pina coolada, tropical type scents so Im in love. The conditioner is pretty thick out the tube..thicker than I anticipated for being silicone free but it spreads evenly and detangles like a champ and when I rinse it out after about 10 minutes my hair feels like pure SILK!!!! its already kinda soaked into my hair and I can tell an automatic difference in the texture of my hair. From dry knots to silky smooth locks. I bought mine from my local vitamin shoppe for 8.43 including tax. I think its a great price for such an amazing product thats safer and healthier to your hair without all the added bad crap. Love the shampoo as well but wouldnt recomend using that all the time if you have oily hair as it will build up quick and make ya look greaseball status! Would deff recomend to everyone with dry hair! Its not amazing or the best but for being natural and not relying on silicones and heavy emollients or silkening proteins its damn good!

on 5/19/2014 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff smells wonderful! no silicones and is moisturizing! I only use a pea size amount on my ends and the softness is unreal!

on 4/29/2014 4:50:00 PM

I just finished the tube and don't think I'll repurchase it. I bought it based on reviews because I wanted something natural, silicon free and moisturizing but this one didn't really work for me. It makes my hair a little hard to comb thru and detangle and didn't feel moisturized and soft like I was expecting. I don't really like the fragrance either, it smells a little chemically to me not like real coconut, it reminds me of suave coconut conditioner.

on 4/22/2014 11:25:00 AM

This was an excellent conditioner a couple of years ago before it was reformulated. It used to be spreadable, and penetrated the hair nicely, and rinsed clean. It left hair moisturized and very shiny. I decided to buy it again despite the reformulation, wanting something protein and silicone free, and hoping it would have a similar effect on my fine, drier at ends hair.

This new formula is thick and waxy, and just sits on the hair, rather than penetrating like the previous formula. It's hard to rinse out, leaving a bit of a coating on the hair. My hair is not as shiny or moisturized. Might be best for those who have thick / frizzy hair and prefer a thicker/ waxier conditioner that weighs the hair down a little bit. No longer suitable for my fine/ dry hair. The Piņa colada scent is still nice. I'm so disappointed, though, I used to love this conditioner :(

on 3/12/2014 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is better than the shampoo in this line, but again it's nothing special for me. It doesn't condition miraculously or make my hair as smooth as other conditioners. I am seriously baffled because both have coconut oil and other natural ingredients.

This does do well on my son and husband's hair which is fine and normal. Mine is very thick, wavy, and coarse. With mine it's just an average conditioner. The smell is great and I love the chemical free company, but this isn't something I can use.

on 1/2/2014 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had been using LUSH Coolaulin since 1998. I needed a change. I can't believe it took me so long to try this conditioner. I have abundant, fine, slightly wavy, chemically treated dry/damaged medium length hair. This conditioner made it look and feel healthy, soft, smooth and shiny right after I finished coloring it again for the third time in 6 weeks with a semi-permanent hair color. All this without 'cones!!! I love the way my hair soaks it up and the delicious coconut fragrance that lingers in my hair full of body and volume. I plan to try it out to co-wash. Finally, I've found my new HG conditioner.

on 12/22/2013 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Really like this conditioner, in conjunction with the shampoo. That being said, there are perhaps better things I've not discovered but I'm tired of testing products.
This conditioner has a nice scent, it lingers fairly well but isn't overwhelming. Has decent slip for when I comb my hair in the shower(bad, I know! It's the only way that works for me though), though my hair tends to tangle after that. I usually mix some with water and spray it in my hair, braid or twist it, sleep on it, and wake up with incredibly soft, shiny hair.
I like that it comes in a tube, and I don't have the same not coming out problem as I do with the shampoo. I wish I could buy a larger size though.

on 9/26/2013 4:03:00 AM

I use this with Giovanni 50/50, live in a humid tropical country (Singapore), and it's amazing. I used to have very dry and damaged hair, deep conditioned weekly and religiously apply hair oil to my hair. So I switched to this conditioner, and out goes the deep conditioner and hair oil. Just using this with the shampoo give me glossy, healthy hair that's not weighed down (voluminous hair is impt to me). Even my mum noticed the change and asked me what I'm using. Trying to decide with DE shampoo to use this with.