August 22, 2014 | 1966 users online

Treatments (Face) - Superdrug - Optimum Swiss Apple Overnight Skin Renewal Serum

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by FrankieNew

I decided to purchase this serum based on good reviews and that I don't really like night creams and generally prefer serums anyway.
The apple scent I quite like but guess that's down to personal taste. I like that it's a clean, fresh smell.
I quite like the packaging and personally prefer the pump to the squeezy tube dispenser a lot of serums have.
The serum itself sinks in to the skin really quick and doesn't leave an oily residue, or any residue for that matter. It can make my skin feel quite tight for the first few minutes after applying (I'm combination), but this feeling disappears and skin is left feeling soft and smooth.
I'm using this serum as prevention rather than cure with regards to fine lines so cannot really comment on what effect it's had on wrinkles but it's certainly made my skin feel softer and more radiant.
Considering this is a serum it can be quite drying and if you have dry skin I'd recommend using a cream or facial oil rather than is.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2012 8:24:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately this broke me out and left the more sensitive parts of my face taught and dry. Passed it onto my mum who can tolerate pretty much any product and the same thing happened to her! I also found the artificial apple scent quite overwhelming.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by loobs202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was distinctly overwhelmed by this product. It made me a bit spotty too. Wouldnt buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 2:08:00 PM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

What Superdug says:
"Formulated with the revolutionary anti-ageing PhytoCellTecTM technology, Swiss Apple Overnight Skin Renewal Serum utilises the vitality of the Swiss “Uttwiler Spatlauber” apple cells to protect and enhance the performance of the skin’s cells for smooth, radiant and younger-looking skin."
According to the company, the apple stem cell ingredient is the SAME as that used in scarily priced products like Clark's Botanicals Cellular Lifting Serum, which is around £225 - rather than being a synthetic version. (NB The comparative quantity of extract included is not made explicit. I've listed the ingredients in both products at the end of the review.)
But Superdrug's serum costs about £15 for 30ml - that is, when it's not on offer for a tenner!
I couldn't wait to try it. So, four bottles later...
I love that it is a very light lotion. The first bottle I bought had a pipette in the cap, but it's since been issued with a pump. The pump makes it difficult to limit the amount of product released, but even over-applying the serum doesn't clog or grease up my skin. For reference, I have normal cheeks but an oily T zone. I'm starting to get fine laughter lines and my chin sometimes breaks out when it's that time of the month. I can apply this to all areas of my face (including the eye area) without worry. I apply before bed and use it alone - no eye cream, no night cream, just a single pump of the serum. It sinks in immediately, leaving no greasy residue and I wake up to soft, smooth skin. I sometimes use it beneath my day cream, too, because it really does absorb easily, leaving a semi-matte finish. I've had zero breakouts since using this, and my worry that the apple ingredient would cause sensitivity was unfounded. (Fruity products tend to make my cheeks burn.)
Why four lippies not five, then? Purely because I haven't experienced dramatic results regarding the look and feel of my skin. I don't have any significant signs of ageing yet, but my mum has also used up one bottle on her 50+ skin and similarly didn't experience the miracle she'd hoped for. (Her skin looked bright and glowy, but lines were unaffected.) So, I'd say definitely try this stuff - it's gentle, comfortable, softening and radiance boosting, cheap and easily available in the UK. But be realistic in your expectations.
[NB I've also tried the day cream version and it's two thumbs down. A thick white cream that breaks down on contact with the skin into pure oiliness! The synthetic apple smell is amped up to 11 - to the point of being headache inducing (no exaggeration). Worst of all, it's so harsh that it made my cheeks red and inflamed. My mum had a pot, too, and reported similar results, despite having a different skin type from mine (hers is dry/mature) - cheeks on fire, and skin that felt smothered in greasiness. Certainly give the serum a try, but leave the other apple on the tree.]

INGREDIENTS - SUPERDRUG OPTIMUM SWISS APPLE SERUM
Water, Propylene glycol, Glycerin, Dicaprylyl ether, Butylene glycol, Alcohol denat., Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Argania kernel oil, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E), Dimethicone, Ammonium acryloylmethyltaurate/VP copolymer, Caprylyl glycol, Xanthan gum, Malus domestica fruit cell culture extract (Swiss apple), Parfum, Lecithin.

INGREDIENTS (FOR COMPARISON) - CLARKS BOTANICALS CELLULAR LIFTING SERUM
Water, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Sesame Protein, PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Algae Extract, Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Litchi Chinensis Fruit Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Amino Butyric Acid, Coconut Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Jojoba Esters, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Cholesterol, Phystosphingosine, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Centella Asiatica, Silica, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Octyldodecanol, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Jasmine Extract, Polysilicone-11, Barium Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Lecithin, Methylisothiazolinone, Polyvinyl Acetate, Acrylates/C12-22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 6:56:00 AM More reviews by Katie411

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the serum that seemed to get a lot of hype because of the use of apples (an ingredient apparently in the very high end expensive skin care). The shelves in Superdrug were apparently empty when this first launched. I have to say I like this as a night time treatment a lot. I can react to some silicines and was very relieved to see that the dimethicone was quite low down on the ingredients list. I use this alone or under my moisturiser, depending on how my skin is at bed time. I've been using this for approx 2-3 weeks and have used about half a bottle so far, so it might not last very long. I do find the push down nozzle handy to use, but slightly difficult to control how much comes out. It's very tricky to just squeeze a tiny amount out. I can't say that my skin has suddenly changed and become amazing, but it is smooth and looks hydrated in the morning (not greasy or irritated at all). I've also used this round my eyes every night and it hasn't caused any stinging at all. I do like this product and will buy again, perhaps if there are any offers on, and then I might stock up. Usually my skin doesn't like serums (No7 Protect and Perfect for example) and the silicones etc cause clogged pures and are just too rich, but this serum seems much lighter and I like it for that.