Mad Hippie - Vitamin C Serum

3.6

Water Deionized, Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Alkyl Benzoate, Vegetable Glycerin, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarea), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), Hyaluronic acid, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Vitamin E (Tocotrienol), Ferulic acid, Chamomile Flower Extract (Recutita Matricaria), Sodium Phytate, Xanthum Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose

After it is absorbed my skin feels really dry and inflexible. Even if the vitamin C effects would improve my skin over time, I don't think it is worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really like this C serum. Absorbs well and agrees with my tendency to be oily, but some won't like the not so moisturizing side. Has improved my skin tone and really enjoy using this... lovely lights feel and scent

This is the first C serum I have tried so I cannot compare to others, however, the results have been very positive: Brightening, even skin tone, smoothing of the skin, clearing up pimples, stopping oiliness!!! I've had no irritation. It is not a particularly moisturizing serum so I am trying to work out what to combine it with. I have given samples of this serum to 2 friends and my mum. All have reported positive results including less wrinkles (mum), removing redness (friend 1) and simply "loving my skin" (friend 2).

This is an excellent Vitamin C serum for a certain kind of person. It's based on Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, which is a great anti-acne agent, and if you're like me, the other two popular kinds -- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and L-Ascorbic Acid -- tend to break you out. So, at my weird stage of life where I'm still battling acne but wanting to take advantage of Vitamin C's amazing photoprotection and antioxidant capacities, it's perfect.

With that said, a study showed that SAP is *significantly* less effective at collagen synthesis than the other types, but that's not my major priority now (and I have other actives that promote collagen synthesis), so it's fine.

The one thing I will say is that even though it has great moisturizing capacities (hyaluronic acid for the win!) it does leave my skin a tad dry. I follow it up with jojoba oil or the line's antioxidant face oil or moisturizer.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this while sampling numerous expensive makeup products at PCC. I only used it on half of my face on the spot where the pores are largest. Halfway through shopping I looked at my skin and was amazed. The pores had shrunk in that one spot! I didn't buy it though- it was too expensive:( My best friend bought it though and her skin has been looking excellent. Honestly, this is my favorite Mad Hippie Product, though it seems the most useless (don't bother with the antioxidant serum!).

I like that this serum is light and is packed with awesome ingredients. It goes on smoothly, but has a tendency to pill if you try to layer products over it too soon. I recommend waiting at least ten minutes before applying other moisturizers. It is difficult to tell if this has a significant improvement, but I do think that this product helps with the brightness and general healthfulness of the skin.

Update 11/01/2014: I have used this product under many different creams, lotions, and oil, and ultimately, it pills up upon application. It is very frustrating to wait twenty minutes between serum application and moisturizer application, so I have removed one lippie from my review.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I ordered this after I ran out of NuFountain C20+Ferulic and needed some good antioxidant serum after a truly DISASTROUS IPL tx (read my revew on that, still recovering). The pkging is a great dropper, the serum is light and silky, and leaves no stickiness or tackiness, the ings list looks fantastic .... but, something in this just does not seem to agree w/ my even more sensitive, irritated, post-IPL skin. I got some mild irritation/redness w/ this, and as I'm dealing w/ a lot of weird post IPL problems, I just did not want to risk using this any more than than the one week I did. I usually try to test something longer, and the slight redness I got was very slight, but after the IPL I just don't want to risk any more problems. I got no irritation from the NuFountain C20+Ferulic, so I am going to go back to that. Too bad, as the ingredients looked great.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been working hard to find a regimen that works well for my acne-prone, sun-damaged skin and this is a keeper. Brightens and softens. Paired with my Clairsonic & Mario Badescu glycolic toner, it's a winning combination.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Such a great product for any ladies with sun damage. I came across is at Earth Fare and the lady in the store said I had to try it. It smelled wonderful, so I figured I would give it a try. I have to say I was overwhelmed with the positive results. I occasionally get breakouts, but this product seems to make me never breakout. The spots of sun damage that I had on my face are significantly better after using two products and I have to say, I think I am now a user for life.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am writing this review so I can kick myself and be reminded not to buy this product again. I read so many glowing reviews on iherb.com (lots of Korean girls love this and I know that Koreans care VERY much about skincare)--- the first time, it gave me small, red bumps and cystic zits. I ended up giving it to my mom who loves it.

I recently bought a second bottle (stupid, I know) thinking that maybe when I first tried it, my skin was just in bad condition and hopefully the second time, I will get the amazing brightening, tone-evening effect that everyone seems to get. Boy was I wrong! It gave me red, patchy spots and cystic acne again. I think there is some ingredient in this that does not suit my skin very well.

Regarding the suspicious reviews below, I do also think that it's somewhat sketchy, but I think it is also a miraculous product for many people and it has really good ingredients. If you want to give this a shot to see if it delivers for you, you can use code YEW608 on iherb to get $10 off your first order.