July 30, 2014 | 1802 users online

Treatments (Face) - Mad Hippie - Vitamin C Serum

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I ordered this after I ran out of NuFountain C20+Ferulic and needed some good antioxidant serum after a truly DISASTROUS IPL tx (read my revew on that, still recovering). The pkging is a great dropper, the serum is light and silky, and leaves no stickiness or tackiness, the ings list looks fantastic .... but, something in this just does not seem to agree w/ my even more sensitive, irritated, post-IPL skin. I got some mild irritation/redness w/ this, and as I'm dealing w/ a lot of weird post IPL problems, I just did not want to risk using this any more than than the one week I did. I usually try to test something longer, and the slight redness I got was very slight, but after the IPL I just don't want to risk any more problems. I got no irritation from the NuFountain C20+Ferulic, so I am going to go back to that. Too bad, as the ingredients looked great.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by already30

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been working hard to find a regimen that works well for my acne-prone, sun-damaged skin and this is a keeper. Brightens and softens. Paired with my Clairsonic & Mario Badescu glycolic toner, it's a winning combination.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by felicialove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Such a great product for any ladies with sun damage. I came across is at Earth Fare and the lady in the store said I had to try it. It smelled wonderful, so I figured I would give it a try. I have to say I was overwhelmed with the positive results. I occasionally get breakouts, but this product seems to make me never breakout. The spots of sun damage that I had on my face are significantly better after using two products and I have to say, I think I am now a user for life.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by hjjung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am writing this review so I can kick myself and be reminded not to buy this product again. I read so many glowing reviews on iherb.com (lots of Korean girls love this and I know that Koreans care VERY much about skincare)--- the first time, it gave me small, red bumps and cystic zits. I ended up giving it to my mom who loves it.

I recently bought a second bottle (stupid, I know) thinking that maybe when I first tried it, my skin was just in bad condition and hopefully the second time, I will get the amazing brightening, tone-evening effect that everyone seems to get. Boy was I wrong! It gave me red, patchy spots and cystic acne again. I think there is some ingredient in this that does not suit my skin very well.

Regarding the suspicious reviews below, I do also think that it's somewhat sketchy, but I think it is also a miraculous product for many people and it has really good ingredients. If you want to give this a shot to see if it delivers for you, you can use code YEW608 on iherb to get $10 off your first order.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by sistermlo

The only vitamin C product I used before this serum was a vitamin C mask. I liked the mask, and so I researched a bit and found this serum via amazon. I liked this serum, it created a slight tightness to my skin, but that went away within 5 minutes. I do believe the serum helped control my acne and reduce some of my hyperpigmentation left over from previous breakouts, but it was by no means a cure all. I believe for the price the serum did a good job. And while the price was not terrible, because the serum did last a while, it was still too expensive for me to keep repurchasing it. So instead I decided to purchase cosmetic grade vit. C and add it to my daily moisturizer. So far, it has worked just as good. I also use a 50% glycolic acid peel at least once a week (pls, if you use a glycolic peel, work yourself up from the lowest percentage). This combination has really helped with my acne, hyperpigmentation and rolling scars.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 5:28:00 PM More reviews by surrealmeal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've almost used up a full bottle and I actually really like this product. They don't list it on the label (annoying) but I emailed the company and they replied promptly to tell me that the vitamin c percentage is around 10% in the form of Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (often referred to as SAP.)

I really wanted to try a vitamin c serum with SAP as the form because it's supposed to be a lot gentler than the l-ascorbic acid form and potentially good for acne-prone skin. Additionally, I read a Japanese study posted on the skin care board in which a SAP serum (not this one, obviously) in conjunction with glycolic acid peels helped improve indented acne scarring over several months. The glycolic acid group alone had some results, but the group that used SAP serum in addition had significantly better results. So, it made me really interested in trying out a SAP-based serum for myself.

I've used it for almost 3 months and I love the brightening and plumping effect it has given my skin over time. I generally use it in the morning under SPF, but there have been a few nights that I'll wear it to bed and my skin always looks particularly nice the next morning. If money were no object, I'd probably use it both morning and evening.

It does have some herbal extracts and a slight natural fragrance (maybe clary sage? I actually surprisingly like it) that might not work for some, but I have found it very gentle and a great overall addition to my skincare regimen

I found it for the best price online from the Walgreens website, believe it or not. They seem to keep their products very fresh and I've had surprisingly good luck with them for lots of random products (including good prices on perfume, just fyi!) They have random good sales and frequent 15-20% off codes. The serum retails for around $33 but I ended up getting it from Walgreens for around $21 on sale.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 11:00:00 PM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Super bummed about this serum. I was a dingbat and didn't do the research on it that I usually put into skincare before purchasing...hurriedly looked on MUA, saw rave reviews, and hit the buy button before I realized some of the reviews were most likely fluff reviews from phony users :(. I agree with the reviewer just before me, there is no way the 3 "true converts" are real life users...because its just not that caliber a product no matter how ya slice it. A recent employment change in my household left me on a tight budget for skincare, so looking for a well priced serum was my reason for trying this one. It smells good and initially feels good going on the face, but seconds later, my face feels just as drawn up and dehydrated as it did before application. No brightening, no firming, nada...and I'm well into my 5th week of use. The packaging is somewhat unsanitary and is NOT airtight (which is crucial for protecting and keeping ingredients stable). The only thing I like is that I can see how much I have left. I have had better luck with the $20 Olay serum I picked up at Walmart. Will not repurchase this or any other of the Mad Hippie products I wasted money on. Less than mediocre indeed.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by mulletoftruth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

I will 3rd the reviewers below who noted that the majority of the 5-star reviews for this product are clearly from fake/paid/planted profiles set up to rave & flee.

Unless of course, Diane Ulia of Houston, Samantha Kenner of Boston, Katherine Spencer of Hollywood, and Tina Uri of Boulder all felt the same ecstatic desire that compelled them to set up profiles, write glowing reviews for multiple Mad Hippie offerings, trash competitors with similar products -- all under 3 minutes -- then flee, never to return to MUA again.

diane617's profile

Last visited on 5/21/2011 9:42:00 PM
Name: Tina Uri
Location: Boulder, United States
ColoradoTina's reviews (7)

Annoying. The fake raves bump these up to some of the highest rated products on the site. I was looking for real reviews. If you toss out the fakes, this gets closer to an average of 3 lippies. Makes me wonder why Mad Hippie is paying and/or planting and frankly, makes me suspicious of their product quality. I've not tried any of their products - this is not a review of them. I gave 1 lippie in each category because I had to give a rating, and figured my "1" rating would help to lower the average so that it more accurately reflects what real MUAers think about this product.

53 out of 57 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 11:38:00 AM More reviews by wonderbuy

This is well priced but i find it to be only marginally effective. If you are used to using high efficacy skincare, i'm not sure if this will do much for you. I still find 15% vit C and the exuviance perfect 10 antioxidant serum to be much more effective. This smells divine and sinks in well but balls when you layer moisturiser and makeup, so ok on no make up days. If you are venturing into serums, this would be a good starting point. The formula is non-sticky however i just feel that the concentrations of the active ingredients aren't enough to do anything for me. There is really nothing to fault about it for the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

After test driving this (10% SAP) serum for over a week, I now can say it's a no-go, at least for me. Tiny blisters around my eyes were the ultimate deal-breaker. Obviously, one of the botanicals were triggering some kind of allergic reaction. My guess is that it's the clary sage (salvia). Not really sure why it's included except that perhaps it's for its aromatherapy properties? On that note, I will mention that this serum seems strongly fragranced.....very floral-smelling, which isn't usually a problem for me ....except I didn't care for it. By day 10, I was dreading applying it to me face even though the scent thankfully does dissipate as the serum dries down. ONE more comment regarding a couple of previous reviews. It does seem more than suspicious that at least 2 glowing reviews were written on the same day as the author joined (then disappeared) from MUA. Another reviewer, needtoread, made the same observations. I'm just sayin'.....

9 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No