July 28, 2014 | 994 users online

Lotions/ Creams - designer skin obsidian

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by knbruice

This was such a good lotion it got me darker EVERY single time I used it and I got so dark fast. The smell is kind of weird, but it isn't bad at all. I loved the texture and color this lotion Gave me and the bottle lasted me 8 months!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by annalynn77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this lotion before my trip to Fiji and let me tell you it gave me a very nice bronze color people thought i had already been there :) It is a very nice warming lotion and I like the fact it gives a beautiful bronze color not orange..it is def one of my favorites I used this longer and more often then all my other DS lotions I have 7 of em..love DS!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by monique3445

LOVE this tanning lotion though I ultimately prefer tingle lotions. I get a really dark, even tan with this. Consistency is silky smooth and super moisturizing. You can find it on amazon for around $50.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2011 6:24:00 AM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Being an indoor tanning newb, I splurged on what seemed to be one of the best lotions out there. I’m not disappointed but there is *no way* I’d pay the retail price. Would I buy again?...in theory, yes, but I think next time around, I'm going to try a different lotion...there are two others I have my eye on.

OVERALL: I’m happy with this lotion for the price I paid…I would never pay retail for it. The color is nice, not too orange on my pale self, not a fan of the scent and the packaging is so gaudy. The warming sensation is nice, especially on those colder/overcast days, but for those who are sensitive you might want to try a sample pack at first and definitely, for everyone, be careful using this around the eyes. Definitely worth a try if you can find a deal.

PRICE: 13.5 oz for $120ish at salons. $40 on the right website. I have been instructed *never* to buy lotions at salons because they’re so horribly overpriced. I suppose, like anything, if you don’t buy an item from a “reputable” dealer, you run the risk of something not being authentic etc etc etc. I would NEVER pay $120 for a bottle of lotion…La Mer or Designer Skin!

PACKAGING: Gaudy to the point it’s embarrassing, which is inexcusable for a $120ish bottle. Wide and flat and just a bit smaller than my open hand, it’s a black bottle with black glitter with iridescent silver glitter sprinkled here and there. There a thick plastic shrink wrap over the glitter with the label/ingredients printed on it. Over this plastic wrap, there is a hanging, plastic plaque glued to the bottle with “Obsidian, Designer Skin, 30x bronzing matrix” printed on it, a black twine hangs the plaque around the neck bottle. All this extra packaging (the shrink wrap, the plaque) got in the way, not to mentioned cheapened the overall appearance of the bottle; I ended up ripping it off so that it was just the bottle with glitter…my mistake, the glitter, of course, comes off everywhere. *sigh*. I would have much preferred classy, sleek packaging (something akin to Chanel or MAC) without all the fanfare. I like the way the bottle fits in my hand and the easy to grasp, black, screw on cap, but that’s about it.

SCENT: Fake peaches, *very* fruity and not subtle…your perfume will compete with this. I don’t hate the scent, but I don’t like it either, you’re stuck with it until you wash it off.

USE: I only use this on the parts of my body that seem to have difficulty tanning/hanging onto a tan: the tops of my feet, lower legs, tops of my arms, chest, neck and face (yes I use it on my face…some people would recommend otherwise). Because this lotion has bronzers in it (read: self tanners), you need to leave it on for at least 4 hours after you tan.

CONSISTENCY: Silky, hydrating, light as air lotion…such a nice finish and it leaves my skin feeling lovely. I wish my day to day body lotions felt like this.

COLOR: A nice, somewhat convincing bronze, not too orangey but it’s no substitute for the outdoor sun (no lotion + sunbed is going to give you the kind of color that natural sunshine will). It’s taken me 3 uses to see reasonable color change (I attribute this to my skin and coloring, see “about me” if interested). In 2 weeks, I’m darker than I have been since I was a kid and my difficult to tan areas (feet and lower legs) are almost the same color as my stomach, back and upper thighs (the parts that *everyone* tans darker and faster on, it seems). The warming effect is nice…I could do without to be sure, but it just adds to the tanning experience. The bronzers do wash away as typical self tanners do, just note that they don’t last as long as your suntan.

ABOUT ME: Tanning newb. Celtic ethnicity…I’m pink and pale (nw15 in my natural state). I’m difficult to tan (usually starting out with a sunburn when I’m super pale and then gradually work up tolerance) and when I do tan, I tan with a real peachy color in the natural sun. It's taken me about two months of indoor tanning for me to build up to "tan for me" status, a color I'm happy with for the warm months, but for those that tan easily, I'm no where near as dark as you may get. MAC nw25ish now.
continued >>