December 22, 2014 | 1614 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very dehydrated-dry eyelids that are prone to flaking. I have never experienced creasing with or without eye primer, and my main concern with eye primer is that it allows my eyeshadow to be vivid, prevents fading, and holds onto any shimmer or glitter well.

NYX's HD eyeshadow base does make the colors appear better than they would over bare skin and prevents fading, however it darkens some colors and doesn't hold onto shimmer or glitter as well as I would hope for. NYX has a texture which can feel greasy (in comparison to Urban Decay's Primer Potion which I consider more creamy) and I find that it is too thin because some eyeshadows will stain on me. In fact, it seems that when I use this primer, products are more likely to stain my skin than if I had applied directly to bare skin which I find concerning and disappointing. I very rarely reach for it unless I'm wearing light neutral colors since I don't want to end up with stained eyelids.

Overall, this eye primer isn't what I'm looking for since it darkens colors, doesn't hold onto shimmer/glitter well, and encourages staining. Despite its drugstore price, I consider it overpriced since ELF's cheapest eye primer performed just as well on me without the flaws.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2014 4:38:00 AM More reviews by princessmeowmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Very underwhelming product, does not last long or intensify the color of my eyeshadows. I'll stick to Essence's Stage eyeshadow base.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by kymdrabree

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product works like a dream, but only if you apply it right. "Right" is probably slightly different for everyone, and it took me quite a few tries to get it to work perfectly for me. For some they apply just a tiny dot, while some use the applicator and smear it everywhere. Personally, I take the applicator and smear approximately whatever amount of product is at the little bend in the applicator on my lid then just spread it all around with my finger, then immediately apply shadow. After that, I always get at least 8 hours of crease-free wear, but I've slept on it and woken up with crease-free makeup too.

Long story short, I will never apply eyeshadow or eyeliner again without this primer.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/14/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Ire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't quit get the hype about this product, it's not on par with Nars at all. I have very oily eyelids and pretty much Nars and Too Faced Shadow Insurance are the only two primers that really keep my eyeshadow in place all-day-long --not even MAC's paintpots.
I got this, paid 10$ for it and thought why not try a cheaper eye primer..it really doesn't work for me at all. Even if i apply the tiniest amount it creases on itself before putting e/s on.
I guess it works for those with normal or dry eyelids, but for oily...ugh doesn't work.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by sherryclinaz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After so many good reveiwas I decided to try this product,I have to say I was very ,very happy I did.The product works as well if not better than the UD, I have used it with both HE and drugstore eyeshadow ,on one day I applied my makeup as usual at about 6 AM then went to work for 8 Hrs ,and then came home and did some house work ,changed and went out for dinner,by the time I came home and was ready to take off my makeup it was about 8 PM,I went to my 10X magnified mirror to check my eyeshadow,after 14 hours it was great,I was shocked to say the least that it worked so well. There is a trick to it as some people are having some problems with it,I find I use way less than any others I have used in the past pat it on,do my eyebrows or my blush then go back re pat my eyelids then aplly my shadow.I would repurchase in a heartbeat love this stuff!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by kbam17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've always had stellar results from my NYX primer products. I wear my shadow (both high and low end) for 16+ hours a day and it never creases or fades. My shadow only comes off when I'm taking it off on purpose ;) My application method is to gently swipe then pat it all over my eye area, wait a minute, and dab off excess with a square of toilet paper. My only gripe is that the package will always leave some product inaccessible. Out of curiosity, I chopped (sawed, sliced, snapped...) mine open once it ran out only to find nearly a teaspoon worth of product still hiding in the crevices. This is cheap enough that you can probably avoid that hassle and just buy a new one, but it still seems wasteful when a squeezie tube would probably work just as well and allow access to more primer.

Pros:
* easy to apply
* keeps shadow from creasing all day (and night)
* fantastic price point
* also works to prime under eye for concealer

Cons:
* the tube/applicator will not let you access a *lot* of the product
* cutting tube open to get remaining primer is a pain

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been on the hunt for an affordable, effective eye primer since my UDPP in Eden dried up. This one from NYX was readily available and inexpensive ($8 at Target, I believe) so I decided to try it. I have heard mixed reviews on this product, but my feelings on it were just 'meh'. It has a silicone feel, like many primers do, and was sort of off white when applied. The applicator puts way too much product on the lid if you are not careful - a little goes a long way. It was better than nothing, but did not keep my eyeshadow from creasing. It didn't help much with fading either. Overall, I just wasn't impressed with this primer, and I normally like NYX products. I was slightly allergic to it also, not as much as with the Milani primer (see my review for more details) but I did feel a slight tingling. This is an ok drug store option, but I don't think it's a great primer. There are much better primers out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by shaylapurple16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is probably one of my favorite products ever. My skin is pretty oily, so without a primer my eyeshadow will crease and even eyeliner will smudge. This stuff helps it last all day and then some. Even in the heat and humidity of Hong Kong, my eyeshadows and eyeliners do not move. I've even gone running and played basketball with makeup on over this (not on purpose, I was I just too lazy to remove), and my makeup still didn't crease! The wand like brush is great: it's easy to draw a line on the lash line to smudge out with your finger for eyeliner, as well as easy to apply more all over the lid for eyeshadow. Very little product is needed for a long lasting effect, which I love. My only wish is that this product was a little cheaper/in a different type of packaging: lots of primer gets left behind around the edges of the tube once you're almost done. Still, I am willing to pay the price for this amazing primer! I've repurchased it once already and would gladly get another one when I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by jobarbie

This is a pretty terrible primer. I don't really see it making my eye shadow more vivid or increasing wear-time. My eyelids are not that oily, but I will crease at the end of the day without a primer. Wearing this makes no difference for me in terms of creasing, and it is actually terrible when it comes to events where I need my makeup to look flawless all night. High-end counterparts like Urban Decay Primer Potion or Nars Eyelid Primer I think are much more worth the cost compared to how ineffective this is.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by BeccahH

I think I'm over the NYX hype. I feel like you're paying for fancy packaging with this brand. This primer is hard to work with. I consider myself the queen of making products work, & I can make this one work, but it's just SUCH a chore. I have to apply at the start of my routine (like after cleansing/moisturizing), it creases like a MOFO. Creamy + excess creasing with this, makes it thumbs down! I have to go back * pat out the creases a minimum of twice before I can apply my eye makeup. Once I get past this my eyeshadow doesn't crease, but gawd help me if I don't have time for the double tap!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No