October 25, 2014 | 1773 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been on the hunt for an affordable, effective eye primer since my UDPP in Eden dried up. This one from NYX was readily available and inexpensive ($8 at Target, I believe) so I decided to try it. I have heard mixed reviews on this product, but my feelings on it were just 'meh'. It has a silicone feel, like many primers do, and was sort of off white when applied. The applicator puts way too much product on the lid if you are not careful - a little goes a long way. It was better than nothing, but did not keep my eyeshadow from creasing. It didn't help much with fading either. Overall, I just wasn't impressed with this primer, and I normally like NYX products. I was slightly allergic to it also, not as much as with the Milani primer (see my review for more details) but I did feel a slight tingling. This is an ok drug store option, but I don't think it's a great primer. There are much better primers out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by shaylapurple16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is probably one of my favorite products ever. My skin is pretty oily, so without a primer my eyeshadow will crease and even eyeliner will smudge. This stuff helps it last all day and then some. Even in the heat and humidity of Hong Kong, my eyeshadows and eyeliners do not move. I've even gone running and played basketball with makeup on over this (not on purpose, I was I just too lazy to remove), and my makeup still didn't crease! The wand like brush is great: it's easy to draw a line on the lash line to smudge out with your finger for eyeliner, as well as easy to apply more all over the lid for eyeshadow. Very little product is needed for a long lasting effect, which I love. My only wish is that this product was a little cheaper/in a different type of packaging: lots of primer gets left behind around the edges of the tube once you're almost done. Still, I am willing to pay the price for this amazing primer! I've repurchased it once already and would gladly get another one when I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by jobarbie

This is a pretty terrible primer. I don't really see it making my eye shadow more vivid or increasing wear-time. My eyelids are not that oily, but I will crease at the end of the day without a primer. Wearing this makes no difference for me in terms of creasing, and it is actually terrible when it comes to events where I need my makeup to look flawless all night. High-end counterparts like Urban Decay Primer Potion or Nars Eyelid Primer I think are much more worth the cost compared to how ineffective this is.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by BeccahH

I think I'm over the NYX hype. I feel like you're paying for fancy packaging with this brand. This primer is hard to work with. I consider myself the queen of making products work, & I can make this one work, but it's just SUCH a chore. I have to apply at the start of my routine (like after cleansing/moisturizing), it creases like a MOFO. Creamy + excess creasing with this, makes it thumbs down! I have to go back * pat out the creases a minimum of twice before I can apply my eye makeup. Once I get past this my eyeshadow doesn't crease, but gawd help me if I don't have time for the double tap!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 1:01:00 PM More reviews by subahe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would not recommend this product for someone with oily eyelids, after 3-4 hours using it, my eye shadow creased on me. The product itself has a greasy feel and a peachy undertone to it.I did not like the packaging very much, because I could not use the entire tube contents. It may be a good product for someone on a budget with dry eyelids.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by iwikiwii

This product is HORRIBLE. I have pretty oily eyelids, so I thought I would try out an eyelid primer so that my shadows can look good all day. But this product actually sucks.
First off, this product creases WAY too easily on me, even if I only wear it on it's own.
Secondly, this product actually makes my eyeshadows look WORSE. Within an hour, I have eyeshadow on my bottom lashline and it looks really bad. I also think this primer actually makes my eyelids look OILER than with no primer at all... I honestly think my eyeshadow does better without this product.
Boo. I won't repurchase, this is going straight in the trash. Wouldn't get it even if it was free.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Annabellagrant

HG eyeshadow primer that keeps my shadow I place even with my problem oily eyelids. Applicator helps make a smooth layer without caking and also keeps me from jabbing my eye. Would purchase again and recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2014 12:09:00 AM More reviews by ghostofcpast

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My go-to primer had been the ELF liner-primer duo, so I'm definitely not comparing this to anything high-end. However, I will say that this primer intensifies my eyeshadow and makes it last until the end of the day, which the ELF one failed to do. My eyeshadow looks the same at the end of the day as it did when I first applied it! It works very well for shimmery shadows especially. The only thing I don't like is the crappy applicator, but, you know, I'll live.
The reason why I switched was this "scientific" approach a beauty blogger did, which found that NYX primer dramatically outperformed any drugstore primers as well as the LORAC behind the scenes primer. For that, I think it deserves five stars.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by bmcnally

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I read about this on a beauty bloggers website and I LOVE trying new and cheap products. I LOVE this primer. It can be "greasy" but I think it absorbs the shadow well. I put a dot on each lid and pat it in the skin, and use whatever is leftover on my under eye area, around the whole eye. Sometimes it will show a crease from the primer on my eyelid but I don't really worry about it. I just work the eye shadow into my crease, and onto my lid, anywhere I am going to put it. The creases will eventually "work" themselves out. I never EVER have a crease on my lids from this, but i do ANYTHING ELSE (except using mac paint pots as a primer). This primer will keep my eye shadow on ALL DAY LONG- I use Lorac Palette's. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by Glimmerous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros:

-Makes eyeshadows (powder, cream, etc) last all day
-Fast drying time
-Easy to use
-Non-greasy

Cons:
-Doesn't do much for color, but it's not a huge deal for me.

How I apply: put product from wand on fourth finger and gently pat on eyelid.