NYX HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

4.1

Isododecane, Talc, Beeswax, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenoxyethanol/Methylparaben, Ethylparaben/Butylparaben, Propylparaben/Isobutylparaben, Colorant, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI77492), Iron Oxide Black (CI77499), Iron Oxide Red (CI77491).

on 8/1/2015 6:35:00 PM

I was disappointed with this product. How do you guys apply it?? I've tried different methods, dubbing with my fingers, working with the included applicator, but it seems, like it just doesn't work for me. Which is too bad, coz I can see why people like this product. It does make eye shadow look deep and it does it's job well in keeping make up in place.
For me, it just seems, like it's too oily and wouldn't dry, it feels runny and it's early impossible to apply eye shadows on it and blend it. It "locks" eye shadows immediately, makes it very hard to work. Creased right away, due to the product being oily.
At least it wasn't expensive.

on 6/17/2015 9:30:00 AM

I've used many primers and NYX HD Eyeshadow Base is comparable to Urban Decay and Too Faced. I am able to wear NYX Primer in 96 degree Florida weather and it performs extremely well. The formula is lightweight and easy to apply. This formula erases any wrinkles and dark coloration from eyelids. The eye shadows go on smoothly and vibrant. There is no creasing during the day even extremely hot weather. The eye make up stays put all day with no retouching. I will repurchase since the price is excellent for such a great primer. If I had to state a negative it would be that NYX is not made in USA or Italy. I usually steer clear from China, Taiwan and Korea.

on 5/22/2015 7:00:00 AM

I thought this would act like primer ... As in smashbox-style gliding primer. It's sticky however. My eyeshadow would not blend and looked terrible. My eyes looked wrinkled. Returning

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have oily eyelids and a primer is necessary if my eyeshadow is to stay on and not crease. I've used a few eyeshadow primers in my time, all of them drugstore so I can't speak on high end ones but this product is holy grail to me. If you live in the UK, you'll have to buy this on eBay and Amazon and as with most American products sold over here on the Internet, it is more expensive than what you would pay in the states but it's worth it. It keeps my eyeshadow on all day, and the product goes on so much better no matter how pigmented the eyeshadow are, this primer demands a good application. It's a very good product, and it has lasted me a considerable amount of time and I use it everyday. It has a hint of colour to it so it's also a good base, everything about it is amazing.

It's alright. Does the job. My eyeshadow still fades by the end of the day, but this does prevent creasing. I'd recommend it! On my second one (:

I'm a newbie to eyeshadow primer and didn't want to spend a fortune. I find that this primer helps my shadow stay on all day long. If only I could find a foundation primer that would work just as well for me then I'd be all set!

Awesome eye primer for the price! Highly recommend!!

on 2/27/2015 6:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Didn't really like this. As said below it feels almost greasy and I find it didn't blend to well across my eyelids. It also had a tendency to make my eyelid look dry and almost flaky. I don't know if it's because I have hooded asian eyes but within a minute it would without fail pool into my crease and I'd have to blend it out again before applying shadow as the shadow would just accumulate in the primer concentrated crease. It was better than going without primer but it didn't do the best job at keeping shadow looking vibrant all day. It would look dull by the time I got home and sometimes it would crease. I used it for several months because there aren't too many other options around in store here but I got fed up eventually and have found that concealer and powder is doing a much better job so that'll do for now. Maybe it just didn't work on my eye shape but even then I don't feel like it's a superior shadow primer.

on 12/29/2014 2:21:00 PM

So I was looking for something to help keep my eye-shadow on longer and a cosmetics sales person suggested eye-shadow primer. Her option was well over $20 so I decided to do a bit of research and see if I could find something a bit less expensive. I came upon NYX primer reviews and for the most part they were positive and considering the low price I figured it would be a good starting place for my experiments with eye shadow primer.

I've been extremely impressed with this product. The first time I used it I applied it directly with the applicator and found too much was deposited so I've gone to just taking some off the applicator with my finger and dabbing it then blending it into my eyelid and bottom lash line. Like other reviews have indicated, a little goes a long way, so be sparing. It has an oily texture to it, but when used in small amounts it doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy and actually helps to prevent dry skin from showing because of the powder shadows I use.

Because of the low cost I was worried it might irritate my sensitive skin, but I've found it to be very mild and non irritating. Also, I was worried it might be a heavy product and I have found that I don't notice it at all when I use it.

I use powder eye-shadow and liners pretty exclusively so I needed something that would help prevent them from creasing or fading. This product has done exactly that, plus it makes colors more vibrant/ darker depending on the shade. Due to its oily nature, I've had to use less shadow to achieve the same look as before. I also found that it doesn't let me swipe the shadow on, but that I have to dab it on and then spread it to even out the color.

Considering this is the first product I've tried, I can't give a comparison to any others, but I have to say it has achieved the end result I'm looking for, all under $10. My shadows look great, my eyeliner stays in place, and it lasts for over 8 hours with no issues.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is very good product for its price range. I have oily skin, and very oily eyelids, and this really improves the staying power of whatever shadow, cream, liner etc. I apply. I have seen some bad reviews for it and I have experienced creasing once with this product myself, but I discovered how to use it correctly. You need to apply a fairly small amount, otherwise it won't dry properly and therefore anything you put on top of it will crease like crazy.

I have used it with a variety of eye shadows, high and low end, and when I learned how to apply it correctly it did a pretty good job of holding them in place. I do experience a bit of creasing at the end of a long day, but it's not something dramatic or really noticeable and this happened to me even when using Too Faced Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay Primer Potion. I even used it with a couple of very very glittery UD shadow on top (Midnight Rodeo and Midnight 15) and even the glitter stayed put pretty well.

Packaging-wise, I'm not even halfway through it (a little goes a long way, as I explained above), so I can't say for sure if there will be a lot of product left around the side or not, but the doe-foot applicator seems to pick up a fair amount of product, maybe even more than I need sometimes.

I'll give it a 5/5 even though I agree it's not the best eye shadow primer out there, but for the price it's really great and I would repurchase it again if on a budget.

Popular Eye Primers