November 27, 2014 | 1000 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Foundation Brush

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Maddie0582

As a foundation brush it was a major disappointment. I tried a few times with different products and it was just not worth the hassle. I can achieve better effects just by using my fingers. It was just spreading foundation on my face, it did not blend it, it did not look flawless - it was just meh.
For a while it was just left unused until I decided to use it for something else. It is actualy a decent contouring brush!
I have been using it as such for a while abd I am pleased. I use it with powder products.

A little disclaimer - my favourite products to apply liquid foubdation are miracle complexion sponge, stippling brush or flat top brush. I recently ditched all liquid foundation and switched to BB creams and I find applying these with my fingers works best.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2014 5:14:00 AM More reviews by GagaSuperfan

I am not a fan of this product at all. I have found that when I use it to apply liquid foundation, it leaves lines in the foundation once it is on my skin. It is moderately soft but I would prefer it to be a bit more fluffy and softer.
I now use a powder brush to apply liquid foundation and I have found that that works so much better.

Overall, I would not recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by miamc12321

I really like this brush. At only $7.99 at my local Ulta it was a steal. The lady at Ulta recommended it and said that if I didn't like it after a couple of days I could also return it. So I jumped at it and I'm so glad I did. It has very soft bristles. The little angle is a plus. It applies my Skin79 Snail Nutrition B.B. Cream perfectly. No streaks at all so far. It gives me a fantastic finish. As with all of my foundation brushes it still needs cleaning every day, but I guess that's all foundation brushes. I highly recommend getting this brush from your local Ulta and giving it a try.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by reinabeina

Price wise it's alright for a brush, and the packaging is pretty good. I really like the idea of your brush being able to stand so it won't be touching dirty surfaces. The bristles feel really good and smooth.

However, the brush leaves my face looking streaky. When I look at my face closely in the mirror, I can see my liquid foundation covering my skin in lines. Also, I find that the product sticks to the bristles, so if I use a makeup cleansing wipe on the bristles there is still a lot of residual foundation.

Overall, while I love the blush brush and think it's one of the best brushes every, this was not for me and I wouldn't be repurchasing it.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/31/2013 3:10:00 AM More reviews by stu0009

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Bought this. At first used it was really good, and the finished was flawless with liquid foundation...

Second used was awful.. basically , the hair of this brush get's thicker and thicker from previous use very easily. It gets really really dry from previous foundations and so the finished wasn't as smooth as the first used. Really disappointing that you would have to wash it every time. Also the hairs of this brush doesn't feel smooth on face.Not recommended for girls with dry skin as this brush will cause micro exfoliation on skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

Ok let's be serious this brush sucks for applying foundation. It goes on streaky and doesn't blend.
I purchased this at winners for $5.99. Canada only sells the collections at Walmart not the individual brushes.
So for the foundation part of this brush I gave it a 3. So for the people who bought this and it doesn't work I have some other great uses for it
First being its the perfect contouring brush for cheekbones.
Second it's good for powdering under eyes to set your concealer.
Third it's a decent brush for applying a highlight or blush
And lastly it does an ok job blending under eye concealer.
It sucks to buy a product that doesn't work for its intended use but there usually always a way to make it work some other way. :)

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by heather

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If, like me, you have trouble applying foundation smoothly with a traditional oval taklon brush, this brush may be your savior. I've never been very good at applying foundation with a brush. It usually turns out streaky and though I do love the airbrushed look I can get with a buffing brush, it just seems to take so much foundation to achieve the right results. I gave this brush a chance, not really understanding how I might use it. I am delighted. It is thin enough not to soak up a lot of foundation but it is soft and plush, allowing for a really nice, soft, buffed finish. Layering is quite easy where necessary. Just for the record, there are three different "foundation" brushes in the Real Techniques line: this angled one, a rounded one in the Travel Essentials set, and a smaller pointed one in the Core collection. Additionally, the stippling brush (separate) and the buffing brush (core collection) are great for applying various types of foundation. I didn't think I'd get much use out of this one but it's turned out to be my favorite for both liquid and cream-to-powder foundations. I also really like the buffing brush, but I use it less frequently since trying this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2012 9:39:00 AM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

First, let me preface this review by saying, I LOVE these brushes!! They are cruelty-free and of fantastic quality. The bristles are phenomenally soft and really hold pigment for application. They are great. I have many different brushes from a variety of price points (MAC, EcoTools, Sonia Kashuk, etc) and these are truly my favorite. I just really don't think you can go wrong with most of them.

This brush in particular was one I was excited about trying, as I wanted to get a good brush for applying foundation... Well, when I tried this one, I was somewhat disappointed. The length of the bristles (fairly long, in my opinion) made the foundation somewhat streaky when I applied it, which of course I didn't like. It also doesn't feel as dense as what I wanted from a foundation brush.

That being said, I still like this brush a lot for other purposes. It works great for applying contouring powders or highlighters, and I would repurchase for that use in a second! I just don't use this for foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by mafia_mistress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Green

As always, I rarely purchase anything without searching for reviews on MUA. I don't mean just reviews in Productville, I also search the boards. After doing so, I felt confident about purchasing the "Expert Face Brush" which is what this review is for.
I found a coupon for ULTA and the brushes were buy one get one 50% off. I guess my overall rating would be 2.5 not 2, because that is midway. I guess I expected more from this brush because I could not find any bad reviews. There were people listed as "professional makeup artists" who swore by this brush. Well, I know anyone can put "professional" and still not be the likes of KJ Bennett. The packaging is simple, nothing out of the ordinary, it's got Sam's face, background information and her website for tips and tricks. Nice touch. The brush is soft, but I didn't expect it to feel grainy as it's synthetic and I doubt she would give her seal for something that would irritate the skin. I did watch her use the brush, and not find anything outstanding, as she seems able to use a toothbrush and get great results.
I tried the brush last night, and was not impressed. Seriously, after reading all the raves, I didn't want a miracle, but it's a brush, and I have heaps of brushes and ULTA, Japonesque and Rite Aid have brushes that work better. It's not hand made and to be fair, they aren't expensive, so I don't resent the purchase, but sadly I purchased a back up. I don't sit my brushes upright so I can't speak to that, but it's a nice brush. It's not going to clean your floors, make your precision go from regular to HD but it does feel nice against your skin, doesn't use up too much foundation, but you will need another small brush if you need to cover under your eyes, which is my situation. I would suggest it to someone on a budget not exposed to other lines, but I have had better results with other low end brush lines so I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow! I cannot get over how amazing this inexpensive brush is. My husband was in the US this past week and I gave him a list of items to pick up for me that I cannot get in Canada. I very much wanted the Real Techniques flat topped stippling brush and only at the last minute, did I tell him to pick up this angled foundation brush as well and I am SO glad I did. Frankly, I'm surprised that this brush doesn't have a higher rating because I've found it to be perfect.

Most days, because I'm in a rush, I wear mineral powder foundation. I have quite a few really good liquid foundations (2 from MAC, 2 from Clarins and also Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau, which I think will replace all the others for me, once I use them up). I've also got several good liquid foundation brushes - MAC, Sephora, etc. But even so, if I want to achieve a truly flawless application, it takes me a bit of time - more time than I've got most mornings when I'm rushing out to school (I'm a teacher, not a student). However, with this new foundation brush, I can apply liquid foundation really quickly and with perfect results....none of the annoying "dots" where the foundation highlighted my pores, no streaks - just a totally perfect application.

Because of the angled cut of this brush, it's also really good for applying a contour powder or a highlight on top of the cheekbones. Now that I realize how good and how versatile this brush is, I am planning to get a 2nd one to keep for contour/highlight purposes. At 10 bucks, it's the best value going. I also like the flat base so you can stand these brushes up if you want to, though it does make them a bit bulky for travelling, and I can promise you this is one brush I will NOT want to leave at home.

Do yourselves a favour, MUAers, and if you can purchase this brush, at least give it a try. I am amazed by the perfect results it gives and I hope you will be also!