December 19, 2014 | 1407 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - No Chips Ahead

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2014 6:09:00 PM More reviews by drzoidbergrox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I just got this in a beauty box yesterday and since I had been meaning to do my nails, I did them last night... DISASTER. Firstly, I want to say that I waited at least two hours to let my nails dry before going to bed as I always do. I woke up with not only sheet marks but major bubbling EVERYWHERE. Now I'm debating whether to touch up my nails or just repaint them completely... I have the urge to chuck this product in the bin. I usually love Essie, specially their coloured nail polish, but this is bad. Will stick with Seche Vite. I regret using this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by lozzie88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wish I read the reviews before I bought this! I needed a new too coat since I was nearly out of my beloved Seche Vite, but wanted to try something different since Seche hasn't got the nicest ingredients in it...anyway I purchased this essie too coat on sale, and figured it would be okay since I am generally quite a fan of essie products. I used it the night I bought it over Orly bonder and two coats of essie color, followed by the essie drops (which are terrible, done a separate review on them) and it still took forever to dry. The next day I had chipping on two nails even though I hadn't done anything more than shower and make the bed! So I removed that polish, repeated the same steps with another essie color, skipped the drops (since they suck) and this was about 7.30pm. By 11pm my nails still weren't dry, by I thought they were dry enough to go to bed anyway. Now today they're a hot mess, all smudgy, dull and full of marks. Also they're still soft and I'm literally able to make new marks in it since it hasn't set hard and it's now 11.30am the next day! I can't wait to get home and remove it, and go back to my Seche Vite. For a top coat that is a higher end drug store and claims to be chip free it is the absolute worst. Don't buy it, literally buy anything else!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2014 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Tere86

Worst top coat ever. Does not leave nails glossy and takes forever to dry. I used the top coat 3.5 hrs before going to bed and had smudge marks all over my nails the next morning. Please don't waste your money on this. Sally Hansen's megashine is now all I use, so much better. I usually love essie products but this is disappointing.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2014 3:55:00 PM More reviews by radicalrachel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This isn't the worst top coat I've ever used, but it is definitely up there. It never seems to fully dry, and even if I do my nails hours before I go to bed, I still end up with messed up nails. The only reason I am still using this is because I don't have the money for another top coat and I need the shine it gives. This also does not protect against chips, in my opinion. My whole manicure begins chipping off the next day. Definitely save your money and skip over this one. I picked it up at TJ Maxx for $5 and I'm mad I paid that much for it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2014 10:54:00 AM More reviews by beachtrees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The worst top coat I have ever used. I almost never buy a beauty product unless I've read the reviews and since I bought this on a whim I didn't have time to read any reviews but I wish I had!

First off it left small bubbles immediately after applying but I was willing to let that go because you can only see it up real close. Second, I love my top coat super glossy and expensive looking. Unfortunately the shine from this top coat isn't as shiny as I'm used to. And lastly, after applying, I woke up the next day with sheet marks everywhere! I put the top coat on about 3-4 hours after putting my nail polish on. This was about 5 hours before I went to sleep. I have never had a top coat that didn't fully dry by that point! I bought this at Ulta and I'm not sure they do returns on used products so I'm probably going to have to just throw this out.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2014 8:41:00 AM More reviews by ninable

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Gah! Why didn't I read the reviews on here first instead of trusting some beauty website that listed this as good. It's TERRIBLE. I've used it only twice and am considering throwing it out because it's that useless. Doesn't dry completely like everybody else has said. Complete waste of money.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by Barbirivera

AWFUL. I hope you read this Essie people, this product is garbage, It doesn't dry and it chipped the first day. No chips ahead? YEAH, OK.
Please, please don't make the mistake of buying this! It's just awful. I'm so sad I spent my money...

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Gr4phicTwi5t

Gak!! I wondered what on earth was going on with my manicure. Then I read these reviews. I'm having the same problem as almost everyone else - this stuff doesn't dry to a hard solid state - it stays rubbery and vulnerable to dings and nicks. Yuck. Will never buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2014 2:14:00 AM More reviews by cutenaildezigns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have to agree with most other people... I love me some essie but this is just awful! It takes so long to dry completely, definitely not for use an hour or two before you go to bed, otherwise be prepared for sheet marks and smudges. Really disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2014 10:37:00 AM More reviews by jehill6612

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This top coat is HORRIBLE!! It just does not dry whatsoever. I painted my nails with 2-3 light coats of Mademoiselle and then put this on top. I did this with ample time (at least an hour) before bed time. When I woke up the following morning, my polish was ruined! Dented and streaky! I will be returning this and getting my usual Essie Good to Go instead. I gave this an extra lippie because it does leave a beautiful shine, but it just takes entirely too long to dry and seal in the nail color.