October 2, 2014 | 1489 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Baked Eye Colour - Wet/Dry in Black Karat

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2013 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

I take my hat off to whoever the genius is that invented this amazing eyecolor. I have yet to try it wet (not that brave and haven't had the time to try to be). But this color is incredible. I got it as a sample; a teeny tiny little pot in a Sephora 500 point beauty insider gift set. I use it at least 3 times a week and the pot is still almost full (I use a simple eye sponge applicator when I use this). The first time I wore this, a guy I work with said hi to me one day, then just sat there and stared at me for a creepy second. When he saw I noticed, he said "whatever you did to your eyes today looks gorgeous". Once a man said that to me I knew I had struck gold. I can't wait to try the other colors from this collection. I do agree with another reviewer that dry this isn't very pigmented, but it is dark if you don't normally wear darker colors. I feel like it is buildable, so thats a plus.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Mollieismehehe

This stuff is really expensive for what you get. It's a nice shimmery eyeshadow but it's not very pigmented. I like it and will use it but will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2013 11:20:00 PM More reviews by nmiracle

I received this as a freebie - I have fair skin, and black eye shadows don't usually work on me. I tried this one skeptically - and I LOVE It. This has become my 'go to' eyeshadow- especially on those days when I'm in a hurry running errands. I use an angled brush, smudge it just above my eyeliner - and I am out the door. Fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2012 10:08:00 AM More reviews by zannie

The black karat colour was made for my skin tone and clothing tastes. I wear it dry to work and wet on an evening and weekend. I also love the ballet pink and lagoon colours.

Pros:

Just the right amount of sparkle
Good coverage
Stays on. And on.

Cons:

Doesn't blend as easily as some other shadows, e.g. Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue, my particular favourites there are Indigo (matt) and mink (Sparkly

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I am a blue eyed NW10 (NW20 when tanning from a bottle).

I really like this shadow on my gray blue eyes. Makes for a beautiful smokey eye. However, I already have 2 very similar shadows: Urban Decay in Cobra, and the dark forest green with gold shimmer in Maybelline quads Sea Sprite and Gutsy Green. However, it's such a beautiful color, I must keep it! The difference between Black Karat and Cobra is that Cobra has gold shimmer and looks a bit more charcoal, while Black Karat has gold glitter and looks almost brown in comparison. I also find Black Karat to have more fallout and is harder to control.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by saarahkb4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Simply amazing. I decided to get this on a whim and I am so glad I did. No pictures will ever do this shadow justice. Perfect amount of shimmer for a night on the town and subtle enough for daytime! I personally use it as a crease shade, as I am quite fair and even with a smoky eye black is just too harsh. This looks soft, diffused, almost angelic. Every time I wear it I get compliments from complete strangers telling me I look pretty, instead of my makeup. Wet is just as nice, but I would never wear it wet myself. Worth the money! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by sophrosyne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this as a freebie in a Sephora VIP gift and I'm so glad I did; otherwise I'd never have tried it. Black shadows are too harsh for me, but this applies dry as a sheer haze of smoke with beautiful gold microglitter that isn't at all OTT. I did wet it to use as liner, and when it's wet it applies black--not my thing. But the grey haze of smoke with subtle sparkle is just to die for. Ordinarily I use darker colors in the crease only, but this is one I like to apply over the whole lid, with a thin line of gold liquid liner at the base of the lashes for extra sparkle near the eyes.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by tangomaya

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My absolute favorite "night on the town" eyeshadow. I really hesitated to buy this, because of the hefty price! But I decided to "treat myself" as I so often decide to do. I saved the receipt, vowing to take it back unless I was absolutely thrilled with it. NO WAY is this baby going back to the store. I used it wet, by moistening a brush. It went on super smooth, and stayed perfectly in place all evening. Such a gorgeous, shimmery shade! I've never seen anything else like it. It has a "slinky" look on the lid, for lack of a better word. Like snake skin, although I realize that sounds gross. It's not gross though, trust! It's dramatic without being outrageous, sexy without being tacky, glamorous without being clownish. If you have golden flecks in your eyes like I do, this is one not to be missed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Black Karat can be quite different depending on whether you use it wet or dry. I used this dry on Christmas with BB Caviar e/l for a no-fuss festive Christmas look. I'd use it wet with a thick kohl liner for a concert.

The color is true to how it looks in the pan--gold and shimmery with a hint of black. I'm NW15 and can't wear black e/s (too harsh), but this works for me. The gold shimmer isn't OTT--it's definitely not like UD Sidecar or Maui Wowie, but has a little more oomph to it than BB Gold Dust e/s. It's more of a "cool" gold (not as yellow and a tad more beige than pure gold--sort of like MAC's Blonde's Gold pigment). It's definitely a wearable color for weekends or weekdays.

I'm not a huge fan of the baked shadows. Some are good, but some have horrible pigmentation when used dry and most are hard to blend. Black Karat is middle-of-the-road. There's good pigmentation either wet or dry, but it's not easy to blend. I prefer using this by itself with an e/l.

This is one that I personally like, but would encourage someone else to try before buying.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2011 7:01:00 PM More reviews by ceen

Applies as a complex bronzy-khaki-brown with light to deep results depending on preferences. In general, can't fault the quality of LM eyeshadows and this proffering is no exception. Not an everyday shade, I should think, but greater possibilities for wear during December's party season!