October 31, 2014 | 1173 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Babyliss - Big Hair Styler

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by firesoph

a fantastic device for those with frizzy or fly away hair. gives a salon finish at home. highly recommended

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 2:25:00 PM More reviews by deliazamir

Very expensive but very worth it as I have crazy frizzy hair the next day when I sleep the night before with freshly washed wet hair. A horror of frizzy and unrulyness. I spray a heat protectant when my hair is dry and probably cut up 8 sections (my hair is waist long, wavy and medium thickness). In 15 minutes or so I end up with gloriously smooth locks and this is just my fourth try (I've never wielded a blowdryer successfully before). Just magic - some kind of ionic or iconic witchery goin on somehow makes my hair looks so good and it LASTS. A must replace when it konks out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2014 6:09:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I didnīt even know that this product existed, but as soon as I had it, it became a staple in my bathroom.

I have a lot of fine hair, cut to collarbone lenght and sliced at the ends. My hair tends to lie flat, hasnīt much volume and gets oily at the roots.

When it comes to styling my hair, I can braid it, get tousled Alexa-Chung-hair, messy updos or heatless beachy waves.

But thereīs one thing I never managed: Perform a salon-like blowdry on my hair. I tried it many times and failed miserably. I canīt be bothered to spent an hour to style my hair and every time I tried it, I just fumbled endlessly with my blowdryer and a big round brush, ripping out hairs in the process and gave up. So I just blowdried my hair upside down and styled it with heatless curls, backcombing and products to wear it open.

Enter this little gem: I stumbled upon this on websites and saw tutorials on youtube on how to use it. I was intrigued and ordered one, even though I never use styling tools on my hair except my blowdryer.

I use it after I washed my hair and my hair is about 90 % dry. If you use it on hair thatīs too wet, itīs going to take forever to dry it with this tool.

Iīd recommed following this amazing tutorial from Babyliss (was already mentioned by another reviewer, but I actually do my hair exactly like this):

If I follow this, I get amazing results and I only need 3 sections, which is gorgeous because I hate to make a million sections for a blowdry. The tool is not heavy, easy to use and I only need 5-10 minutes.

My hair looks groomed, polished and like the expensive looking hair hair you always admire in the magazines or on celebrities. I get volume at the crown, smooth shiny lenghts and flicked ends. The kind of look you usually need a hair salon for as you can never manage it alone. This sounds like a bad advertisement, but this really changed my hairstyling and the way my hair looks.

I also use styling products with this brush as I get better results in volume and hold. I tested the tool first without any styling product in my hair and the volume was decent but by prepping my hair with volumizing products (like Bumble and Bumle Thickening Spray or Aveda Voluminzing Tonic) I get fantastic volume.

If I want my hair to look a little less groomed and want to have more like a "tousled bed head surfer" look, I just do my hair with this and then break up the hair with a texture styling product like a surf spray or Bumble and Bumble Texture Cream or Dryspun Finish Spray.

Or I twist my hair in 4 buns after doing my hair, let it sit for a while and then use some surf spray to create heatless beachy waves.

The hair even looks good on the second day and it gives me a good base for updos and braids as it is shiny and voluminous.

It take some practice, so donīt expect it to be perfect when you use it for the first time.

Iīm not sure how this tool will perform on short hair or very long hair. But I think it would work for hair from bob length to bra strap lenght.

I highly recommend this for women like me who hate blowdrying and styling but want to have groomed and polished hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I simply cannot rate this styler highly enough. I have bought gadgets like this in the past (although they were non rotating) but frankly my hair would end up being a frizzy mess. So, for years I have relied on my GHDs (wash at night, sort out dry hair in the morning). Not good when you have regular highlights/colours and also have fine hair (although lots of it). Even with thermal protectors I would find colours fading, hair breakage etc. Yes, I have long hair which I could try and blow dry myself but I am so bad at this, I don't even try any more. So, onto this gadget. Now I wish that I had bought it sooner. I only need my hair to be damp (around 90% dry), spray on some protector, whizz this through my hair (literally only takes me 5/10 mins) and I have salon styled hair. It does take a while to get used to it - I kept flicking the switch the wrong way resulting in tangling (reverse the switch if this happens, it releases the hair). I hold my hand over the top of the brush as its turning, this gives it tension to smooth the hair out. I have also found that my keeping the styler at a slight angle (cord end slightly raised) this prevents stray hairs getting caught up. There are some fab YouTube tutorials on using this for short and long hair. I only bother to section the back of my hair - this is only because it makes it easier to dry underneath. I don't section anywhere else. By the way, this will not give you poker straight hair - what it gives you is amazing volume, flicky, gorgeous and shiny textured hair.

Update: I recently had my hair cut to just below shoulder length, and this styler still works beautifully! And if my hair is looking a bit flat in the morning and have no time to wash, I just dampen my hair and run this through to bring back some life into it :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by redlipsthickhips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't rave about this product enough and I highly recommend it. I've never been able to master the hairbrush/hairdryer combo so when I heard I could get smooth blow-dried hair with this product I snapped it up quickly. It does exactly what it promises. It's easy to use. It only took me a few minutes to read the instructions and get used to the controls. More importantly, it's much quicker than my usual routine. Normally I have to wash my hair, wait for it to dry, straighten it and then curl the ends. I've now ditched the straightening/curling irons and just opt for my Babyliss instead. Huge time saver!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have wavy hair and I have yet to find an appliance which could keep my waves in tact but just flattens out the cuticles on the hair shaft out a bit, so that my hair looks smoother & shinier without it looking straight. However having literally just tried Babylis Big Hair Styler, I'm a convert - it really works. The only minus I have is I wish that you could use the cool button with the wand going around, but I can live with that.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by notevangelista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a product that is totally, totally worth the price. As a blow-drying noob who is partial to a blow dried mane, doing my hair is a constant struggle with a regular hair-dryer and brush. The closest I've gotten to a salon-finish is a single time, which I whole-heartedly believe was a total fluke!
When I saw the Babyliss demos on YouTube by various reviewers, I was astounded by the end result that this product produced. From one person to another, long or short hair, they all had smooth, shiny and perfectly groomed salon finish hair. After giving it a good month or two of checking reviews etc online, I finally decided to purchase it, and I'm so happy I bought it! My hair looks shiny, sleek and well-groomed, which, in my opinion, is the best way to wear your hair. The best way to use this product for an everyday look, which means no flicky ends for me, is the way Ruth Crilly of A Model Recommends suggests: using the rotating motion with a bit of tension applied at the end of the brush, after you've applied a heat protectant. Another great little thing that I've noticed with the Big Hair is that because it gets each and every strand of your hair down to the ends, if you're in between salon trips and have long hair that has become quite straggly at the ends, this product will smooth them out and make them look a little more presentable.
I haven't mastered it completely yet, I must admit, I do manage to make it a little more frizzier than it should be, but, I'm hoping that in conjunction with my Redken Satinwear (which is due for arrival in the mail) and more practice, I will be able to get the perfect finish that I crave.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 5:11:00 PM More reviews by milliesk0

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fantastic product, which does what it says on the tin! Athough i would agree with other reviewers that it takes a little practice to get used to directing the spinning action.
Since using the big hair, I am able to style my hair in half the time, and also use it to perk up my style in the morning. I'm growing my hair at the moment and have the 42mm version, but will certainly purchase the larger barrel one when my hair gets longer. In fact, I love it sooo much that I have also bought the USA version to take on holiday with me, (Im in the UK), as its not dual voltage (my only gripe!)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2013 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Morefine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I love this styler! Got it for Christmas as a present. First time I tried it, I managed to tangle my hair pretty bad. Nothing serious, got it out with a brush. 2nd time using it got the hang of it straight away. Doesn't give as much volume as the picture suggests however my boyfriend (who is hair-illiterate) noticed that my hair was definitely bouncier which is a plus! Works best if hair is around 70-80% dry.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by ceen

A disappointment. Can imagine that this would perform well on medium-long hair.
Definitely best avoided, however, by those with short hair.