July 30, 2014 | 2052 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Coconut & Hisbiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by juliaesands

So I think I finally understand how to use this shampoo. I've washed my hair with it 5 times- the first time was promising, the next 3 resulted in gunky, dried-out hair that tangled and knotted as though I got silly putty in it. I read some reviews of this and it helped a lot to consider that this is a VERY concentrated shampoo. Part of that is because there aren't a lot of silicones in this to give the heavier ingredients slip. So I do a quarter-sized quantity in the shower, rub it between my hands and add water so it gets soupier and THEN I wash my hair with it. I do that twice, and the result is that my hair feels more evenly conditioned and less tangly in the end. The smell is terrific (you really need to like coconut) and a few hours after washing, it still feels soft and conditioned.

I would consider buying this again, but considering how much I need to wash my very thick hair (lathering and rinsing twice), I don't think it's the most cost-effective solution and probably not better than Suave Moroccanoil.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Eh, not my favorite shampoo, sulfate-free or otherwise. I appreciate the quality ingredients, I like the scent, and it lathers well. That being said, it takes me FORVER to rinse out. Conditioner washing takes me less time, and that's saying something. Once I finally get it rinsed out and the slippy-slimy feeling is gone, my hair feels clean. I've had both great hair days and not-so-great hair days when I've used this. I'll keep it in my stash for occassional use on days when I don't have to be on time for anything, but I would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by veiled89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I tried the travel size first, and will purchase the large bottle once the small one is gone. I have never had success with a sulfate free shampoo. For some reason they always seem to dry my hair instead of moisturizing it. I also get bad scalp buildup and it becomes itchy. This, however, felt great from first use. I used in conjunction with the conditioner and am so pleased so far (after 3 weeks). My hair feels soft, smooth, all without weighing it down. I have tight wavy, loose curly hair. A combination of 2b, 2c, and 3a. The smell is fruity/floral. I prefer a more "clean scent," however, I don't mind this scent too much. It's sort of like a garnier or organix brand scent. This shampoo doesn't really lather, but I have no issues cleaning my scalp and hair at the roots (I only ever shampoo at the scalp). I have used a sulfate shampoo once during the past 3 weeks, which was only after using major product in my hair. Hopefully results will only get better with more time! As long as this works I'll be using it and trying to only use products that can be washed out with this shampoo (apricot oil, light mousse, light curl cream). I would encourage users to pick up a small bottle at Target to try (if you hate it you're only out $4), or a full size at ULTA (you can return anything with a receipt, even if you opened it and tried it!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Princesa7

I have tight 3b spiral curls that I have been straightening for years and finally a month ago decided to embrace my natural curls..I've heard from other curly girls that this line is great so I had to check it out!!

Target had mini bottles for $3.99 so I got this and the conditioner.

*Scent-Reminds me of a tropical pina colada & coconuts.The scent does linger after washing my hair and when my hair is dry but then fades as the hours go by.

*This shampoo lathers up super easily and rinses out very well.Also a little goes a long way and my hair & scalp doesn't feel stripped!!!

*After showering I noticed that this combined with the matching conditioner really help and enhance my spiral curls to take shape!(Even my damaged ends from heat straightening had a slight curl) My hair needs moisture without all the added weight and these 2 are excellent. I will buy the bigger bottles once my mini's are empty!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2014 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Kimmeh5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ugh. After debating on buying this shampoo at Target for months, I caved and got it. (A few weeks later they came out with trial sizes of it, which was much cheaper... ugh...) This brand is a popular curly hair product on some curl forums I frequent.

But anyway. This stuff absolutely destroyed my scalp. I'm not sure what happened? Maybe I have a scalp issue I haven't been diagnosed with but this stuff just completely destroyed it. It took me weeks to get back on track. My scalp was super itchy, insane amounts of dandruff (or dead skin from scratching...) -- will not repurchase.

I'm probably in the minority though. I got it because I like coconut, and again, it's popular on the hair forums. I'm also a fan of neem oil which was another ingredient in it. If you're wanting to try this product try to find the smaller trial sizes. I seen them at target for $3.99. I found the full size products to be rather expensive, and apparently a waste of time for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by CowgirlTN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this shampoo based on the reviews. My thick Italian hair hates it. It makes my heart feel dirty and weighed down. I am having to suck it up and use it till my Aveda curl shampoo comes in.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this shampoo above all other curly hair shampoos, will definitely buy again when I run out. Despite the occasional buildup (to be expected with the ingredients) this is a wonderfully moisturizing shampoo with a great smell. It has a nice creamy lather from just a small amount and has really improved the shape and softness of my curls. I think the price is a little high with my other hair products but honestly, no other shampoo performs this well and I think it's worth it for how little I use daily. As an added bonus, I need less conditioner and product so in the long run it ends up saving me a little in that department.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Lesalient

I have a mixute of all the 3a,3b,3c hair and this shampoo is perfect when I turn my waist length hair into a big defined afro to my shoulders and I love it!! however its not the best for moisturizing amd can be a bit drying if over used

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

The only moisturizing shampoo I have ever used in my entire life. Love that it's organic, and I love that it actually works. Us curly girls usually tend to use way more conditioner than shampoo, but I could honestly not use conditioner after shampooing with this if I really wanted to! Great buy

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2013 1:48:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My absolute favorite shampoo. It's moisturizing, it smells absolutely delicious, and it cleans my scalp ever so gently while still managing to get rid of product build up and soothe dry, flaky areas. Since I alternate this shampoo with a Garnier one and I use a lot of products with silicones, shea butter, and other ingredients that can cause build up I lather this real well (I have a lot of hair so I use about 3 quarter sized amounts to produce more than enough bubbles), massage it through my scalp, work it through my ends, and leave it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing. It cleans just as good as a sulfate shampoo, if not better. This is my favorite shampoo and I would recommend it to nearly anyone. The ingredients are amazing, the price is decent for what you get, and one bottle lasts a long time, especially if you're like me and rotate shampoos/wash your hair 1-2x a week. I will definitely repurchase.