September 3, 2014 | 988 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Coconut & Hisbiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2014 11:39:00 AM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff smells amazing and for once, the delicious scent is not due to the addtion of weird and potentially harmful chemical ingredients. Unfortunately, the oils in it proved to be a little too heavy for my hair (which I admit is prone to oiliness all on its own).

I don't have curly hair btw, but that doesn't really matter since curly hair products are great for smoothing out the cutical (rough cutical = frizz) whether you're got straight, curly, or chemically damaged hair; it doesn't really matter.

I've been dealing with icky dried out frizzy hair due to the fact that I haven't been getting regular trims and its gotten all long and gross; nothing but a good cut can really change that, but I figured this stuff might help smooth things out a little in the meantime. It did, but it did so at the cost of making my hair too heavy to hold curl or have any sort of body or volume--plus it had my jawline breaking out in cysts and zits wherever my hair touched it (I rarely get zits in this area unless I use the wrong hair products). I didn't even use it near my scalp.

As someone else mentioned this stuff can actually work as a conditioner--though you still gotta rinse it really good. My best advice is if you end up getting it you might want to avoid using it near your scalp and maybe pick up a good clarifying shampoo to use in addition.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by shann0n0shea

Absolutely love this shampoo. Background on my hair: 3B curls, naturally dry, frizzy, and prone to spilt ends and breakage. I used the moisture retention to bring my hair back to life and ad very very happy with the results. I did a major cut after the moisture retention did wonders and then switched to using the curl and shine. Amazing scent, incredibly moisturizing, won't strip, and makes your curls look bouncy and shiny. The matching conditioner is great and i use it every time I shampoo. It's waaaay better then the restorative conditioner but it's still not exactly the amount if moisture I need for my thirsty locks. Deffinete repurchase :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by ASH1337

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is probably my favorite shampoo ever. It is very gentle and moisturizing and smells like heaven. It doesn't lather very much, but I'm assuming it's due to a lack of sulfates (which is a good thing, apparently). The first thing I noticed when I switched to this shampoo is that I generally lose WAY less hair than before. I pull fewer hairs when showering and brushing. This seems like a good sign. Next, my curls are soft, refreshed and consistent. I actually have long, wavy, island-girl hair with sometimes-defined curls, depending on my products and drying method. Switching to this shampoo has made them more consistent so I can really just get out of the shower, follow up with the coconut hibiscus moisturizing spray and air-dry with no worries. This has saved me a ton of time in the morning.

The only con with this line is that it sort of makes my scalp smell after a week of straight use. This is easily countered with a vinegar rinse, or clarifying (tea tree) shampoo though. Just thought I should mention that. It IS a moisturizing shampoo, not a particularly cleansing one, so make sure you take care of that with a different product.

I had no idea shampoo can make this much of a difference.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

This shampoo is one of my absolute favorite shampoos that i ever tried. It has become a staple in my haircare regimen. It doesn't strip my hair at all, it leaves my hair feeling soft with a level of moisture to it. Plus, it gets my hair and scalp completely clean, and it rinses away cleanly, without leaving behind residue in my hair or on my scalp.

If you have curly hair, this shampoo is one that I highly recommend. Also, it is gentle enough, that i am sure that it can also be used on chemically processed hair too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by juliaesands

So I think I finally understand how to use this shampoo. I've washed my hair with it 5 times- the first time was promising, the next 3 resulted in gunky, dried-out hair that tangled and knotted as though I got silly putty in it. I read some reviews of this and it helped a lot to consider that this is a VERY concentrated shampoo. Part of that is because there aren't a lot of silicones in this to give the heavier ingredients slip. So I do a quarter-sized quantity in the shower, rub it between my hands and add water so it gets soupier and THEN I wash my hair with it. I do that twice, and the result is that my hair feels more evenly conditioned and less tangly in the end. The smell is terrific (you really need to like coconut) and a few hours after washing, it still feels soft and conditioned.

I would consider buying this again, but considering how much I need to wash my very thick hair (lathering and rinsing twice), I don't think it's the most cost-effective solution and probably not better than Suave Moroccanoil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Eh, not my favorite shampoo, sulfate-free or otherwise. I appreciate the quality ingredients, I like the scent, and it lathers well. That being said, it takes me FORVER to rinse out. Conditioner washing takes me less time, and that's saying something. Once I finally get it rinsed out and the slippy-slimy feeling is gone, my hair feels clean. I've had both great hair days and not-so-great hair days when I've used this. I'll keep it in my stash for occassional use on days when I don't have to be on time for anything, but I would not repurchase.

UPDATE 8/31/14 ~ I recently gave this shampoo another chance and after a few weeks of consistent use, I feel compelled to write this update. While I still find it takes longer to rinse out than most shampoos, it has cleared up some scalp issues that were caused by another shampoo (evil, horribly caustic Biolage HydraSource, which I'll review on its own). Needing something gentle and preferably natural to heal my flaky scalp (a problem I have rarely had in my life), I retrieved the Shea Moisture shampoo from my stash and gave it a go. Success. My scalp returned to its formerly healthy state ~ ahh. I should also note that I've begun spacing my hair washing by a few days, whereas before I washed my hair every single day. Shea Moisture, while gentle and hydrating, does not cause my scalp to become any oilier than any other shampoo I've used. Thumbs up, and I'll definitely repurchase and will consider trying their other shampoos as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by veiled89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I tried the travel size first, and will purchase the large bottle once the small one is gone. I have never had success with a sulfate free shampoo. For some reason they always seem to dry my hair instead of moisturizing it. I also get bad scalp buildup and it becomes itchy. This, however, felt great from first use. I used in conjunction with the conditioner and am so pleased so far (after 3 weeks). My hair feels soft, smooth, all without weighing it down. I have tight wavy, loose curly hair. A combination of 2b, 2c, and 3a. The smell is fruity/floral. I prefer a more "clean scent," however, I don't mind this scent too much. It's sort of like a garnier or organix brand scent. This shampoo doesn't really lather, but I have no issues cleaning my scalp and hair at the roots (I only ever shampoo at the scalp). I have used a sulfate shampoo once during the past 3 weeks, which was only after using major product in my hair. Hopefully results will only get better with more time! As long as this works I'll be using it and trying to only use products that can be washed out with this shampoo (apricot oil, light mousse, light curl cream). I would encourage users to pick up a small bottle at Target to try (if you hate it you're only out $4), or a full size at ULTA (you can return anything with a receipt, even if you opened it and tried it!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Princesa7

I have tight 3b spiral curls that I have been straightening for years and finally a month ago decided to embrace my natural curls..I've heard from other curly girls that this line is great so I had to check it out!!

Target had mini bottles for $3.99 so I got this and the conditioner.

*Scent-Reminds me of a tropical pina colada & coconuts.The scent does linger after washing my hair and when my hair is dry but then fades as the hours go by.

*This shampoo lathers up super easily and rinses out very well.Also a little goes a long way and my hair & scalp doesn't feel stripped!!!

*After showering I noticed that this combined with the matching conditioner really help and enhance my spiral curls to take shape!(Even my damaged ends from heat straightening had a slight curl) My hair needs moisture without all the added weight and these 2 are excellent. I will buy the bigger bottles once my mini's are empty!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2014 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Kimmeh5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ugh. After debating on buying this shampoo at Target for months, I caved and got it. (A few weeks later they came out with trial sizes of it, which was much cheaper... ugh...) This brand is a popular curly hair product on some curl forums I frequent.

But anyway. This stuff absolutely destroyed my scalp. I'm not sure what happened? Maybe I have a scalp issue I haven't been diagnosed with but this stuff just completely destroyed it. It took me weeks to get back on track. My scalp was super itchy, insane amounts of dandruff (or dead skin from scratching...) -- will not repurchase.

I'm probably in the minority though. I got it because I like coconut, and again, it's popular on the hair forums. I'm also a fan of neem oil which was another ingredient in it. If you're wanting to try this product try to find the smaller trial sizes. I seen them at target for $3.99. I found the full size products to be rather expensive, and apparently a waste of time for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by CowgirlTN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this shampoo based on the reviews. My thick Italian hair hates it. It makes my heart feel dirty and weighed down. I am having to suck it up and use it till my Aveda curl shampoo comes in.