April 20, 2014 | 1871 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Coconut & Hisbiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this shampoo above all other curly hair shampoos, will definitely buy again when I run out. Despite the occasional buildup (to be expected with the ingredients) this is a wonderfully moisturizing shampoo with a great smell. It has a nice creamy lather from just a small amount and has really improved the shape and softness of my curls. I think the price is a little high with my other hair products but honestly, no other shampoo performs this well and I think it's worth it for how little I use daily. As an added bonus, I need less conditioner and product so in the long run it ends up saving me a little in that department.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Lesalient

I have a mixute of all the 3a,3b,3c hair and this shampoo is perfect when I turn my waist length hair into a big defined afro to my shoulders and I love it!! however its not the best for moisturizing amd can be a bit drying if over used

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

The only moisturizing shampoo I have ever used in my entire life. Love that it's organic, and I love that it actually works. Us curly girls usually tend to use way more conditioner than shampoo, but I could honestly not use conditioner after shampooing with this if I really wanted to! Great buy

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2013 1:48:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My absolute favorite shampoo. It's moisturizing, it smells absolutely delicious, and it cleans my scalp ever so gently while still managing to get rid of product build up and soothe dry, flaky areas. Since I alternate this shampoo with a Garnier one and I use a lot of products with silicones, shea butter, and other ingredients that can cause build up I lather this real well (I have a lot of hair so I use about 3 quarter sized amounts to produce more than enough bubbles), massage it through my scalp, work it through my ends, and leave it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing. It cleans just as good as a sulfate shampoo, if not better. This is my favorite shampoo and I would recommend it to nearly anyone. The ingredients are amazing, the price is decent for what you get, and one bottle lasts a long time, especially if you're like me and rotate shampoos/wash your hair 1-2x a week. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by jpe020

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this shampoo online after hearing rave reviews. I hate my hair! It's in between curly and wavy and often just a big frizzy puff ball. I also wanted a shampoo that was natural and didn't have harsh ingredients. I love this shampoo! It's actually the first shampoo (EVER!) that I've used without having to use conditioner afterward. It leaves my hair feeling really moisturised and helps keep my curls together. I also really like the smell! The only reason I gave this a 4/5 instead of a 5/5 is because it does leave some build up in your hair if you use it all the time. I use a clarifying shampoo every now and then to remove the build up and it definitely does the trick. Once I use shea moisture after the clarifying shampoo, it goes back to being fabulous :-)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love love love this shampoo. I have gotten hooked on the insanely amazing quality of this line from body products to hair care. I have always had such fussy hair/skin and have used everything from drugstore to ridiculously pricey high end items that haven't had the quality this line does being so cheap and easily available locally. If only more family owned companies like this one were available at drugstore at such an affordable price for the quality. The first shampoo I tried in this line for my naturally wavy, fine but alot of it, very frizzy and pouffy hair (dry by nature) was the Thickening Shampoo ofcourse. Seemed like that would be the perfect fit as I was initially worried the other formulas might weigh me down. I still think that shampoo is an amazing product and full of added strengthening ingredients like biotin etc but didn't realize it has some protein in there when I bought it and as creamy as it felt it left my length/end dry as my hair hates protein (perfect for anyone who doesn't have this issue). Since I was so impressed with all the products I tried so far I decided to buy this Curl version my last visit to Target figuring what do I have to lose. Even thought it say it is for thick super curly hair (opposite of me) it didn't weigh me down at all (YAY). Smells amazing ofcourse as all Coconut Hibiscus products and just a pleasure to use. It gave me all the lush creamy lather the Thickening version did but actually detangled which that one didn't. Let my hair perfectly moisturized. I can't ask for more. Still have the urge to try the Shea Butter Shampoo in the line but looks like this will be my new staple. I actually tried using my fav mask from the line (African Black Soap Purification) as a pre shampoo scalp treatment as opposed to after shamooing (since it offered no detangling for me at all) and loved it that way followed by the Curl Shampoo. Great products all around, seriously slowly getting my friends of all hair types hooked on this line and as you can tell by my enthusiasm can't get over how awesome this line is, with very few others coming close. Good product for any hair type and your health. What more can you ask for! :)
Update 6/25/13: As much as I looooooved the smell/feel of this version it after a few uses even in teh shower just left my hair feeling coated and heavy. Such a shame but hey this formula is just very rich and for thicker hair types who need that. My hair is in need of intense moisture just minus the weight so the Shea Butter version Shampoo seems to finally be the right fit for me. Anyone who can handle this product thought don't hesitate.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by turquoiseginger

This shampoo does what it's supposed to do. It cleans my hair without stripping it or drying my scalp. I shampoo my hair about 3 times a week and my hair is doing just fine. The product is very moisturizing - almost too moisturizing - so I do use a clarifying shampoo once a month or so just because my fine hair starts to get limp from buildup.

I was initially hesitant to drop $10 on a bottle of shampoo, but surprisingly, I'm STILL using the same bottle that I bought in September. Even though the initial investment is higher as compared to other shampoos, it's proven to be very economical. At this rate, I'll only be buying shampoo twice a year.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by itsmek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

First, a bit of background. My hair is super dry due to a combination of genetics, coloring my hair, and developing hypothyroidism. It's also super fine and wavy/ loosely curly and is very thick- my hair dresser claims I have the hair of three people. My hair generally dislikes sulfates, and definitely doesn't do well with cones.
This is probably the best drugstore shampoo I've used.I was nervous about trying it due to the fact that my hair is baby fine and it is marketed towards women of color-I was afraid it would leave my hair weighed down. But this shampoo leaves my hair with amazing body- it accentuates my hairs natural texture without stripping it. It also makes it very shiny and not at all greasy.
It also has a nice texture to lather up with. It's an almost runny semi opaque cream- it kind of reminds me of the texture of dial soap. It doesn't suds all that much but cleans my scalp without it feeling stripped.
It does have a very strong scent. I can still smell this strongly in my hair well into the next day, and I'm the sort of person who usually cant smell shampoo in my hair after taking a shower. However, its a rather non offensive clean tropical smell.
The price point is fair- it seems to go for 10 dollars or so where I am from. Washing every other day, I get several months of use from it. In comparison a bottle of herbal essences or something similar would only last me a few weeks, so you actually get a much higher quality shampoo for the same price or cheaper when buying this.
The only really caveat I can think of with this shampoo is that the protein in it can leave my hair a bit crunchy after weeks of constant use. So rotating while using this is a must for me. Also, it's becoming more and more difficult for me to find this shampoo in the pump bottle in my area. But that's really just splitting hairs.
Simply put, this is the best drugstore sulfate and cone shampoo that I've used thus far.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2013 5:21:00 AM More reviews by klaudie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to love this shampoo. In the end, I just liked it. It does have a nice scent to it. However, I find that I can only use it from the ears down as a conditioner because as soon as it touches my scalp: instant clumpy buildup. If you want a shampoo that cleanses your hair apart from moisturizing, keep searching because this one might just be "too moisturizing".

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hesitated a while before buying this product. One, the price (if not professional, I don't like spending more than $7 each on my products, John Frieda Frizz Ease being the only exception) & two I thought it might be too heavy for my hair.

Pros: It lathers!, awesome ingredients, is a sulfate free shampoo, helps curl formation
Cons: The smell, depending on the day; it doesn't lather as much as I thought it would; makes my hair oily.

The first few times I used this, I liked it. It didn't impress me, honestly, but I did like it. I was pretty excited for going somewhat CG with this shampoo (I tried cowashing twice & just no) and wouldn't feel bad if I washed my hair more often than twice a week. But now it makes my hair oily and I feel like I have to wash it every day. I keep forgetting to shake it before using, but I don't think it makes a difference because I didn't shake it before. This also helps with curl formation, but my hair is pretty curly (3b, but it turns to 3c type curls with curl enhancing products), so I don't like how it makes it tight, springy curls.

Overall, I said that I would repurchase (and I'm going to finish the bottle), but I'm definitely going to try other products before returning to this one. I might even go back to a sulfate shampoo for a while :/ I think this product is just too heavy for me hair; it's in between fine (easily weighed down and buildup occurs easily, plus it's fine when it's straightened) and medium texture.

Ps. I forgot to add it kind of tangles my hair :/