Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm Red Dahlia

3.8

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 6/23/2015 9:39:00 AM

For the most part I really like this stuff. I wear my makeup (or lack thereof) very natural and I love that I can slap this on and look like I did a little something to myself. However, I agree with some of the others... the packaging is super unnecessary and they really needed to add like a minty smell or something to them bc to be honest the smell kinda reminds me of band aids. Also, the price is a little steep for what they are. Other than that I really like it and can look past those things and repurchase more of them.

on 3/23/2015 6:07:00 PM

I'm not very comfortable with opaque lipsticks or greasy glosses, so this sheer balm is perfect for me! I don't know why so many people say they can't see it - it's a beautiful classic purplish rosy color that's fairly deep on me! It's definitely noticeable! It goes on smoothly, definitely moisturizes, and looks great with every makeup look I've tried so far! My only issue with it is that I'd like it to have more staying power since, as a Burts Bees product, it's a tad bit pricy for just a lib balm. I'm also confused by the packaging, which just seems wasteful and inconvenient (also, I had to return my first purchase because someone had stolen the balm out of the packaging but I didn't notice until I got it home, not BB fault but wouldn't have happened with different packaging). Besides that, however, I always make sure to keep a Red Dahlia tube in my purse!

on 3/12/2015 2:16:00 PM

I got this in red dahlia. It's a plummy brown color, not true to the deep red color swatch on the box. It's sheer which i like, but skews too brown for my taste.

pros:
- moisturizing
- no menthol fragrance/taste (i can't quite pinpoint what this smells/tastes like. it's not terrible but not particularly pleasant either---maybe beeswax/petroleum?)

cons
- too soft feel (bordering on greasy)
- no spf
- wasteful packaging

on 10/9/2014 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Prettiest Autumn lip balm ever!!!

on 7/11/2014 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is a great tinted lip balm that gives a nice tint to your lips for everyday wear. The shade red dahlia gives my lips a soft pink/red tint and goes on very smoothly. The lip balm was also very moisturizing which I didn't expect at first so I layered it with vaseline underneath but it wasn't needed. The price is expensive for a tinted lip balm but it is great overall and I would buy more burt's bees lip balms to try out other colours.

on 5/1/2014 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this product! I am a caramel-colored African American, and these lip balms give the perfect HINT of color for a very natural look. The only time I am not wearing one of the tinted lip balms is overnight ( when I'm wearing the Ultra Conditioning Lip balm). My absolute favorite is Red Dahlia. It, literally, goes with everything! One me, Red Dahlia is is plummy/rose brown. I also wear Rose, which is a subtle coral shade on my lips. My everyday, around the house, doing errands shade is Hibiscus. It matches my natural lip color; just a bit more intense. I love the way these look, feel and condition my lips!

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

So I'm on my way to a memorial service, and since I changed my purse out for the diaper bag, as my kid was going too, I realized I had no lipstick. Who goes to a funeral with no lipstick? There was a Whole Foods along the way so I stop it, and they have Burts Bees, which is safe and light and if I don't like it I haven't spent big money. I got this shade thinking it would give me some color. I have a very fair complexion, and this didn't show up at all. It gives me the barest hint of color. I'd get more color using a cherry or strawberry on my lips. That I could live with, but it feels greasy. I'm sure it's moisturizing like a champ, but it just feels gross. I definitely wouldn't get this again, both for the lack of color and the icky consistency.

The one problem I had with this product was the packaging. It's incredibly overdone, and Burts Bees should know better than to be so wasteful considering it's supposed to be a "natural" company.

on 3/9/2014 3:21:00 AM

This review is for the Red Dahlia color only. I have the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Hibiscus and like it. Thought I would try the Red Dahlia for what I thought would be a sweet red tint. Wrongo. It leaves virtually no color on my lips. In fact, I don't think it even leaves a hint of color on them - their pomegranate lip balm, which is not really tinted, leaves more of a hint of color. As with the Hibiscus, the tinted balm is soothing, goes on smoothly and isn't sticky, but that's it. So, I'm not happy with this as a tinted lip balm (it's fair as a cheek color though) and I wouldn't repurchase this specific color.

Also, for a company that touts being so natural and organic… the packaging for this product is incredibly wasteful. I don't care if it's made out of paper products that have been recycled three times over, it's way over-packaged.

on 3/4/2014 1:17:00 PM

I purchased this shade after trying sweet violet (I think that's what it's called) and liking the amount of color and the creamy feel of the balm. After trying this shade I was disappointed. It did not feel like sweet violet at all. The color did not show up on my lips (which I thought was odd since this is a darker color) and the balm was harder and not creamy. I've had this for a long time already and sometimes I use it since I own it so might as well. It did provide a nice sheen to the lips so I had no problem using it but still was disappointed. After using it every now and then the texture changed, it is now creamy like sweet violet and the color shows up on my lips. I was very surprised when this happened. I don't know if just the first few layers need to be wiped away before you get to the good portion of this shade. I gave this shade a 3 since it works just as well as sweet violet now but it took some time to get there. ps. I didn't use most of the tube or anything like that (hardly looks used) for the effect to show up so it is still worth buying.