September 1, 2014 | 1059 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Softbox Eye Palette

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by imperiale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this palette, but I don't know if I love this palette...

9 shadow shades, 5 shimmery 4 matte, and 2 liners make up this palette. I quite like the shadows in colour - there's a beautiful mix, and perfect if you tend to go for more neutral/natural looks, although you can certainly bump them up and create dramatic looks as well.
The issue I have with the shadows is that I find them pretty inconsistent in pigmentation and fallout - some are fantastic and highly pigmented, and others are more sheer and there's a lot of fallout, which is incredibly annoying. That said, all shades are a nice texture and easily blended...
BUT I really don't like the liners - they seem simultaneously too dry and too waxy, and although they're nice colours, I just never use them.

I find that the mattes in this palette are quite similar to UD's Naked Basics, and I much prefer that palette as the shades are much more pigmented and consistent.

Packaging on this palette is... meh, although the brush that comes with it is actually quite good. I really like the look of it overall, but I hate that it's card - it looks very dirty very fast, and that's coming from someone who takes nearly obsessive care of her stuff. I'm not sure what I think of the magnetic close - it's effective, but I definitely prefer a tighter close on a palette. As for cost, I got it on ebay for a good price, so no complaints there.

Bottom line - would I repurchase? Nope. I'll be looking for dupes or similar shades from UD - I've been way more impressed with their shadows.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by mellymel11

This is the first HE palette that I purchased. It has all neutral colors....4 matte shadows and the rest are shimmer. all of them are very pretty pigmented and wearable. my favorite color is truffle. Only thing I didn't like about the palette was the liners that are in the palette because I feel like that they were dried out. The brush was also a nice addition but didn't like the end that had the eyeliner brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by scabbedwings

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this, great neutral colors. good pigmentation, long lasting. overall great palette.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by summerdawn1123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This palette is just ok to me. With so many excellent palettes out their right now I dont really find this one to be up to par with the other palettes I own. UD naked 1 & 2 and lorac pro and unzipped are my go to palettes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by dakota2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the palette I wore for my college graduation thanks to a Sephora makeup artist. She showed a side of me I never knew existed with these shades. I immediately bought it and haven't stopped using it.
Some fall-out, but I don't care...it's too beautiful!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by TubbsMuffin

If you enjoy neutral colors and glitter, I'd recommend this product. Personally, I love glitter so as soon as I saw this palette I had to get it! I'm so happy with it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 8:33:00 PM More reviews by mulletoftruth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

I had kind of forgotten about Smashbox until I was looking for a palette to buy for my mother as a gift and ran across kit. I bought one for myself as well, and liked it so much that I bought the Smokebox & the "other" Softbox (6 shadows in a hard-sided black case) palettes as well.

It would be nice if they'd have put this in similar sleek packaging. The paper case is bulky, ugly and oversized. I personally don't use the brush, but it's of surprisingly good quality and I kind of wish I'd kept it to use as a blending brush. I also accidentally tossed the mini primer that comes with, as it's hidden in the outer packaging which ended up in my recycling bin.

That aside, I love this palette. When I first tried a few colors out, I was underwhelmed, but after experimenting with it for a while, I've become quite enamored with it.

The combination of Lucky Penny & Sienna with the Bronze liner makes the most gorgeous, sultry, smoky bronze eye. They're my faves of the bunch. I have a bajillion golds and shimmery browns, but these 2 together are really stunning.

Stone and Truffle are taupes on me (one matte; the other shimmer), both very pretty for everyday MU. The Taupe liner is great, too. If I carefully apply Flirt (by pressing it into my crease & inner eye with a brush barely dipped into it), I can make it work, but it's really too dark for a highlighter/brow bone shade, which I believe it's intended to be. The other standout is Sugar, which looks pink in the pan but goes on as a gorgeous sheer peachy-gold.

On the downside: Truffle is described (IIRC) as a plum taupe. I don't pull any plum from it - it looks like a brown-based taupe with golden undertones on me, which is disappointing as I was really wanting a plum. However, on my mom, who has slightly darker coloring than I do, it reads as a silvery shimmer with purple tones, so I guess it's a YMMV sitch.

Vanilla, the whitish highlighting shade goes on much darker than it looks in the pan and is not my fave. Nectar, which looks apricot, and Nude, which is a dull medium warm brown, look nearly identical on my eye. They're all chalky and unexciting.

As others have mentioned, the matte shades don't work nearly as well as the shimmers. The shimmers, however, go on beautifully and blend like a dream. I think another reviewer referred to them as "satin" rather than "shimmer," which is an apt description. They're not OTT shimmery, and have a lot of depth with a satin finish. They're buildable and I haven't had any fallout issues at all (save Flirt). They last all day on me though I've noticed that they work better with some primers than others.

It's worth mentioning that the cream liners work MUCH better in the larger pans in this palette than in the little credit card-sized kits that they're usually housed in. The larger sized pans allow me to drag (rather than dip) my smudge brush through the liner cake before applying. It goes on perfectly and I can get a hard line or smudge it up onto my eye. It's hard to do this with the little specks of product that come in the tiny liner kits.

What is sorely missing from this palette is a shimmery white/champagne/bone highlighting color. IMO it's a really major omission. This means I have to pull out another color (like Stila Starlight) every time I use this palette. With a 9-color kit, I shouldn't have to go searching through my makeup case to find the right highlighting shade. Were it not for that, I'd give it 5 stars.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2011 9:56:00 PM More reviews by ajn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't think this palette is terrible. I really like Lucky Penny and Sienna, Sugar and Nude are alright, but like someone mentioned earlier, Flirt is terrible - just glitter. I don't use the liners that often since I'm better at applying pencil liner rather than creme. I like the box it is kept it - it is solid and cute. I wouldn't buy again since there were so few colors that I really loved, but I don't regret buying it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 10:03:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

Oh, I so wanted to love this palette. It wants to be a great alternative to UD Naked but falls short in so many ways...

1. Fall Out! Flirt is such a pretty taupey shade but is a complete glitter bomb. Had glitter on my face all day after wearing this.
2. Too Powdery. Shadows just explode in a poof of smoke when you dip your brush into them.
3. Lacking Pigmentation. Upon first application, the pigmentation looks ok, but quickly fades after only a few hours of wear. I always wear a primer, so that's not the issue either...

A few things I did like about this:

1. Cream liners - the taupe color is very pretty and pigmented.
2. The brush - the liner end is great. Didn't actually use the other end yet.

so yeah...skip this one. :-(

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by egarrett2011

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Blech. At first glance, all of these shadows are pretty, neutral, and wearable. However, they suck. The texture is almost pillowy and they seem to just disintegrate in the palette and on my face. They fallout a whole lot and are just kind of muddy. They liners are alright if you work with them, but they leave gross smudges in my crease. The only reason I gave this palette two lippies is because of the brush. God I love that brush. I use it daily. They fluffy end is perfect for blending and the liner side gives me a perfect line of shadow on my lower lash line. So I guess it was worth buying because of that, but you can get decent brushes all over the place. Not recommended.