September 22, 2014 | 1804 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Shiseido - Pureness Matifying Stick

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Jocelyn90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on to my 4th mattifying stick currently and I feel that this product does work on my skin to some extent. Though it is expensive SGD41 to last me through about 3-4months. The key is to apply sparingly and just enough to cover your Tzone. I have combination skin so my biggest annoyance is having that shine on my skin 1/2 hours after going out in the Singapore weather (25-31c, humidity 70%<). I have read that Shiseido's Pureness range has a very drying effect so I'm using a mixed arsenal of skincare because aside from my shine prone Tzones, the other parts of my face is rather normal-dry. For this product, I like the powdery smell and texture it leaves on my skin, and it also has the wonders of minimizing the pores on my nose. You can either apply it directly on your Tzone area or you can apply in on your clean fingers before blending in the powder to your face. If you skip the blending step then of course, that will leave you with visible white patches (since the product itself is white in color). No worries about break outs because it has non-comedogenic properties. Of course, depending on the climate conditions which you are using it in, re-application every 3-4hours in a humid and warm country like Singapore's is unavoidable. The product retains its mattifying effect when I'm in air-conditioned rooms, so I'm pretty sure it's my active sebaceous glands which are working against it. Overall, it's worth splurging on this small stick if you have the cash to spare. Alternatively, you can always stick to blotting papers.

EDIT: Shiseido has the raised the price for this stick from SGD41 to SGD50. Though I still stand by the good results it had yielded for me, I am no longer purchasing this as I'm using MAC Pre+Prime Translucent Pressed Powder which costs SGD40 instead. The MAC pressed powder works longer in maintaining a matte complexion as compared to the Shiseido, however the powder is not as finely milled as I would have preferred it to be. I may consider trying Shiseido's translucent pressed powder instead after I'm done with my MAC powders.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2008 10:15:00 PM More reviews by lollipopman

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It mattifies greatly, but it wears off after about six hours. You should apply this before your makeup otherwise it may rub some of it off. The packaging is small and it is quite expensive but i guess it's worth some of it

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2007 12:14:00 PM More reviews by ricerice

i wont buy this product again. it doesn't really control oil very well. i put it on in the morning but by noon it's as if i didn't use it at all. it doesn't seem very hygienic either since the bacteria on your skin will most likely transfer onto the stick when you;re applying it on. and i don't like the powdery feeling it leaves on my skin, feels as if it's clogging up my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2007 12:54:00 PM More reviews by attdexter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite thing about this product is the packaging. It is like a stick foundation, so little mess. I do blend it after applying (t-zone only for me) but it is better than the liquid types that get all over your fingers. I like the creamy texture and I am very pale so I don't have the visible whiteness problem that others have. I do need to reapply sometimes during the day, but what mattifying product actually lasts all day? I must have repurchased this 5+ times! I go thru 1 tube about every 2-3 months.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2007 6:47:00 PM More reviews by ntorki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It worked at first- but after a while I noticed it didn't work anymore. My shine was back in about an hour after I applied it and I had to start blotting again. Like the rest of the people said, it would probably work on people who aren't as oily, but if you are a little bit on the darker side, you do get white streaks which do become fairly noticeable when you go out.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2007 9:38:00 AM More reviews by LoriLond

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I immediately regretted this purchase, but then decided to make the most of it. Glad I did. This goes on so much easier than the matifying veil. I use very light pressure on my t zone and cheeks, and barely need to blend. This with the premakeup cream & I'm good to go.
Together, my makeup has never looked so good or lasted so long, and I only needed to blot once vs 3 or more times. I didn't even need to brush powder on after my foundation, which I have done since I started wearing makeup a couple of decades ago.
Update 7/07...I don't think I'd buy this again. At the end of the day, you can see the whiteness of this on your face and in your pores. I would not buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2006 1:23:00 PM More reviews by pseudokool

I bought this for the hot humid summers of Texas. I wanted to get rid of the extra shine! I got this at Sephora for around $25, and its a slim tube that reminds me of those LM slim lipsticks. Its in a light blue case about the diameter of a dime. After removing the cap- You swivel up the stick and just swipe where you need it and blend with your fingers. The mattifier itself is a solid white stick, and it doesn't have any fragrance to it. I don't like the swivel stick because I'm really afraid that if I keep swiveling it up and down, it will eventually fall out. Maybe I'm just paranoid about those things. I also don't like the packagaing, because my stick's cap doesn't seem to close completely. I think it blends pretty well, but when I put my Becca concealer over it it seems to be a little slippery feeling. I'm pretty fair skinned, and it doesn't show up on my skin. But when I got a slight tan, it looked kind of white where I had put it on. It does what it claims to do, but for me it doesn't last very long here in Texas. I wore this while I was in California on vacation and it seemed to last all day long. Your climate will probably determine the results of this product. For $25 the price is ok for what you get, but I wish it had the power to last through Texas humidity. I don't think that I will buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2006 12:57:00 AM More reviews by melloly

i would have given this a 1 because it did absolutely nothing for my oily tzone (i am combo/oily). but it does managed to mattify my cheeks, whcih are less oily than my tzone, for a couple of hours so for that it gets some points. also the packaging it cute. again, like i say with every mattifying product, this would probably work for you if your skin is not excessivly oily. Just a little bit of shine during the day. But for us girls of the uber-shine clique, next product please.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2005 9:14:00 AM More reviews by emiliejolie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I should have read the reviews first. Sigh. I've bought this product in Belgium, since my skin was much more oily (probably because of the higher humidity level) than it is in Montreal. I really like the Pureness Deep Foaming Cleanser but this stick just doesn't work that well.

Upon application, it leaves a velvety finish. But it kept my skin matte for only 2 hours or so. This is pretty disappointing considering the price I paid. I've found this more useful if applied as a touch-up, over makeup, at the end of the day when I want to go out after work or something like that. But still, doesn't worth the price at all.

It can make a white residue on my face if I don't blend it enough.

Oh well, just another useless purchase. :-/ continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2005 4:23:00 AM More reviews by groverette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this product because I really liked the idea of a stick to control the oil as opposed to creams or gels. I loved the texture of the product and the way it felt on my skin, plus the metalic tube is really cute. However, in my case it really did not do much. I applied the product at arount 08.30 and by 12.00 my nose and forehead were covered in oil. Will stick to Pureness Blotting Sheets, now there's a good product!! Will not repurchase.