April 25, 2014 | 826 users online

Lip Gloss - NARS - Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Happy Days

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by MyBeehive

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The reviews below mine are very good for this product so I'll just chime in to add that I'm a fan of it. Springy, summery orange coral shade with a gold sheen. No loose sparkles. Feels light and wonderful, as with the other colors of this line. I don't use regular lipgloss as I don't like stickiness or gooey consistency on my lips and this fits the bill!
Brightens the complexion in a nice way, and I'm neutral/cool toned.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2012 7:07:00 PM More reviews by giftcardgirl

I love peach/coral colors and find this to be an excellent moisturizing lip color with just a hint of shimmer. It also has good shine but not over-the-top vinyl shine (hence the name "velvet gloss," I suppose). As with all things NARS, it's on the pricey side - no surprise there.

However, as other reviewers have mentioned, it really should be a twist-up pencil. Clinique chubby sticks (not as moisturizing) are twist-up pencils. Now I have to buy a fat pencil sharpener for this lip color. For that reason I subtract 1 lippie, otherwise it would be perfect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Walked out of Sephora with this shade a few weeks ago by mistake (I thought I had grabbed New Lover!) and unexpectedly fell in love with it. While my skintone isn't ultra cool (it falls somewhere between cool and neutral), I shy away from orange based lipcolors as they seem to clash with my skintone. I didn't even swatch Happy Days in the store because of how orange it looks in the pencil. But when I had discovered my mistake in the car, I decided to give it a shot since it was already in my possession and I was seated in front of my visor mirror. I was stunned by how pretty this looked on me! While it's definitely still a warm orangey peach, the translucent quality of the color made the shade look fresh and flattering against my complexion. The level of shine is perfect too. Not super slick, just enough to look moist and glossy. It feels fantastic on too. Not sticky, not waxy and not heavy. It feels like lipbalm.

But now on to the negatives. Like nearly everyone else, I'm no fan of crayons that require sharpening. It's painful to shave away expensive product. I wish these were like Tarte's lipstain crayons which are twist up. I don't however feel like I have to sharpen this constantly. If you're not trying to use it like a lipliner, I don't think the point has to be sharp to get good use out of this. Unless your lips are thin, a dull dome isn't going to be any messier to use that a traditional lipstick. I wear the tip down almost to flat before I reach for the sharpener. Less waste that way.

The wear time is also on the weak side but that's be expected given the nonsticky, nonwaxy formula and sheer glossy coverage.

Despite buying this by accident, I'm keeping this one and have no doubt that I'll repurchase when I run out. The color is just too pretty not too and it fills a void in my color range. Love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by goldensyrup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have three of these pencils in Hopi, New Lover and Happy Days. This one would have to be my fave of the three. Hopi is a warm orangey bronze, New Lover is supposed to be pink infused with gold but I find it too cool toned for me. I'm MAC NC30 and have light olive skin so the peachy coral tones of Happy Days really suits me.

People have mentioned that they need to keep sharpening these pencils but I find the opposite. I've used each around 6 times and haven't needed to sharpen yet.

The glossy sheen is out of this world without being sticky or too wet and goopy as most traditional lip glosses can feel on the lips.

I just love these but would like these to be in a chubby lip balm style wind up tube instead of a chubby pencil. Please NARS!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2011 9:31:00 AM More reviews by shelnmum

I have 3 of these pencils, Happy Days, New Lover & Baroque and this is my fav of the 3. The colour is a beautiful shimmery coral and it looks beautiful on me :) However, I find this a little drying, needs sharpening and has a waxy smell to it. I will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by julma

This is alright. I like it for a lowkey day, maybe work or school. It's a definite peach color without any pink to it. I like the feeling of this product and the general concept (and color) but for some reason I just don't really reach for it much. It's probably that it requires sooo much sharpening to get any kind of precision with the pencil (which does cause some wastage). I also find this color (which is beautiful against my Amy Adams-ish skin and dark hair, think Mont Blanc foundation) hard to match in terms of blushes. It's genuinely difficult...as it doesn't really go with pink blushes. I guess I might have to purchase a peach blush just to get through this pencil...

Overall it's nice and there's nothing wrong with it per se (although the high price, frequent sharpening and hard to match blusher problems might discourage some) but I'm not sure I would buy this again once my pencil is done.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2011 6:50:00 PM More reviews by sarahfeeni

I am absolutely in-love with the color and texture of this product. It is LITERALLY the best feeling lip-product I have ever put on my lips. it feels like an expensive lip balm. I like that it appears like gloss but its not gloppy and doesn't come off as easily. color is perfect for summer and goes so well with the Turks and Caicos cheek stain, orgasm blush etc.....

However, I am NOT a fan of the packaging. I don't think the crayons are "convenient" and I don't really understand why they are described as such. I have to sharpen it about every 3 uses and I feel like a lot of product gets wasted this way. I guess I need to buy a NARS sharpener..... I would prefer something that doesn't require sharpening.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2011 10:37:00 AM More reviews by ibrusat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Excellent colour: light coral/orange that goes amazingly with my skin tone. It is very natural and easy to carry out (I am NC15 and colour can look scary on me. This is just perfect). It comes in a nice classy pencil. The point is very soft and it is easy to apply just a light layer of colour (unlike the clinique chubby stick that deposit tons of colour). Easy to carry around. If the point wears away just get a sharpener and it is like brand new. It is long lasting and very moisturising. No detectable smell or taste. Excellent product.

** EDIT: the product is great but it does not last. As the point is very soft it requires the use of a sharpener and the life of the pencil is pretty short. I used it extensively and in a month the product was gone. Far too expensive for the usage that you get. I would not repurchase as it is not cost effective at all.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No