Dior Leather Oud

3.7

It has been a long time since a perfume has WOWed me, and I have tried many. This is AMAZING stuff! First I got a small sample vial. Smells very masculine, but I cannot help it and wear it meyself, as I love this scent. I managed to get a large decant from a friend and I am so happy with it. DH likes it a lot too. When travelling in the future, I will definately get a large bottle.
Leather Oud is just the perfect blend of oud, leather and civet. I wanted to love Montale's Oud Cuir d'Arabie, but the bandage/hospital note was just too strong. Leather Oud leans more in the direction of L'Artisans Al Aoudh.

on 11/27/2011 12:03:00 PM

Notes: cardamom, clove, birch, leather, aoud, labdanum, cedar wood, vetiver and civet.

This fragrance opens with a dry, smoky-aromatic leather accord. It is not as dense as Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and not as floral as Serge Lutens' Cuir Mauresque. Although woods and spices characterize the head accord, it is not dark or heavy, but airy and transparent. Very close to the skin, I see a warm woodsy-resinous note: this must be aoud framed by cedar and vetiver. On my skin the scent is rather quiet and apparently simple in its multi-layered complexity. Thankfully, the civet note behaves itself, it does not turn fecal on my skin like it did with other reviewers. The leather accord gradually gives way to the heart accord of burnt aoud. A hint of tobacco gives it a light, almost floral quality which I appreciate very much. The dry down reveals a base of labdanum and civet which reads as animalic amber. This Dior is undoubtedly very nice and well-made - belonging to the houses' most exclusive line, it exudes elegance and expensiveness - still, if truth be told, I don't think it is exceptional and should definitely not be so expensive. Lasts eight hours on my skin.

on 4/13/2011 5:12:00 PM

Judging from the blog reviews this just must have been a bad match for my skin. The top note was lovely. Then came the middle and base notes, which on me was the civet overcoming both the leather and the oud. Not that the scent itself was overpowering, just that the civet note was the most prominent and a bit fetid on me. The good news is that if it works on you the staying power is excellent, I could still catch whiffs of it 8 hours later.

Popular Fragrances