October 25, 2014 | 1101 users online

Blush - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Color Stick

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2014 4:15:00 AM More reviews by mistariel

I use this product everyday for an effortless healthy look. On my cheeks it gives a natural wash of colour and a glowy highlight. Great blendability It's great on chapped lips as its hydrating as well. I also use this product on my eyelids for a wash of colour. Other pros include the smell and the price. As for the cons, I don't like the packaging, it looks cheap with that plastic cap with words scrawled over it. Won't say this is a very long lasting product either but you can easily take it with you anyway.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

These color sticks probably the best value for blush I've seen among high-end brands--$22 for 0.5oz of product, whereas most blush products come in 0.3oz of product or less. The newer Argan Infinity Lip & Cheek Creamy Oil is the only other high-end blush I've seen that is also 0.5oz, but is $18 instead and of course different in formula (and probably better for dryer skin).

I purchased an Argan Color Stick in Peony way back and loved the color, the sheerness, and the how easy it was to blend, and that it was a product I could take on the go and not need any extra brushes or sponges--just a blend with my finger. This also has a strong herbal smell--which, against popular opinion, I actually like--but the smell is fleeting after application. I liked the product enough to purchase a set of 4 from Sephora that includes the colors Beautiful, Pink, Coral, and the highlighter shade Twinkle. The colors the sticks are offered in vary in finish. I don't find that this product is very buildable, but I like it that way because some colors, such as Beautiful (a plum purple) would be too bright and garish if not sheered out.

Despite this product containing argan oil and my skin being combination-oily, I didn't find that the product felt heavy at all on my skin throughout the day. I do find that I could use another application after 4 to 6 hours, depending on the season or humidity. It also feels a tiny bit sticky right after applying, so I remedy the tackiness with a light dusting of a powder blush. It kind of defeats the purpose of being a stand-alone product or product-on-the-go, but applying powder blush does extend the staying power and makes it feel more comfortable.

The packaging appears elegant, but I actually do find that it's a little on the chunky side considering that I do like taking my products in a small makeup bag. If the packaging were taller/slimmer like Clinique's Blushwear Cream Sticks, I think this would be more convenient to tote around. The stick twists up like a lipstick (which by the way, the color can be worn on the lips but I find the application a little clumsy because the stick's diameter is so wide, and they're not moisturizing enough for my dry lips). The twist-up part of it looks luxurious but it's just gold-plated plastic and the twisting mechanism does feel cheap loose (flick of the wrist will spin this like a spinning top!). The NYX Blush Sticks and Clinique Blushwear Cream Sticks have a sturdier twist-up mechanism that doesn't feel like it will break.

Underneath the cap is another air-tight, inner cap covering the actual stick to prevent the stick from drying out. I think it's a great addition, considering that I've had the minis for about a year and they still feel as creamy as when I first bought them. But unfortunately, my Peony shade recently dried out despite being covered, but Peony is an older shade so it could be possible that the product had finally gotten too old...! Oops.

Overall, I liked the Argan Color Sticks as they're versatile cream blushes/lip colors that make a great understatement when worn, and they're made with natural ingredients so aside from the price tag, I don't feel guilty wearing these. I do wish the stick was not as sticky, was taller, skinnier, and sturdier--then this would be my absolute favorite blush product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2014 4:38:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

A different textural addition to my makeup kit. It is a very sheer colour which becomes a modern way to consider blush. It's soft but it's there. It's colour that seems to emanate from your skin instead of laying on top of it. As we get used to paring away foundation we also need to consider products that do the same for blush. This is modern; this is fresh. I picked up Rosey which is a muted pink, not quite dusty, which unlike any "multiple-use" product really does a good job on lips as well as cheeks. It has a very smooth application and the argan oil isn't greasy, slimey but rather glistening and moisturizing. It held up very well on a humid day and will be a welcome addition in the winter. Since there is so much unwarranted squawk about the scent, here it is: smells like Noxzema on application, which isnot offensive and dissipates in 3 seconds.

UPDATE: had to lower the rating. It doesn't last more than an hour.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Lexithyia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

While browsing through Josie Maran products in Sephora I came across this cheek/lip tint. What caught my eye was the gorgeous packaging, so me being a beauty junkie I purchased it. The price was a bit steep for a color stick, but I thought I'd give it a try. I choose the color Rose mostly because the Pink shade was sold out, but I was pretty impressed with the color and sheen. The Rose shade was labeled as "a universal shade for everyone", and since fall was coming up I thought I'd like a nice deep red shade for my lips and cheeks. After purchasing it I went home and did my usual BB cream routine with powder. After that I attempted to swipe the color across my cheeks and lips. The stick felt extremely sticky, and I do mean sticky. It was hard as a rock and did not go smoothly unto my skin. After a few uses the stick softened up and began to go on with a quick swipe. (If this happens to you, don't be alarmed. Usually if you use the stick a few times it softens up, you could also try blowing on it with a blow dryer for a few seconds to get the same result). Anyways, the color was absolutely gorgeous on my cheeks and lips and the quality was great. I am always looking for more organic beauty products containing argan oil so I'm glad I found this one. I will definitely repurchase. Quick tip: If you don't want the color to fade, use a setting spray after applying it and it will last all day (even in hot and humid weather).

Pros: Beautiful packaging, organic ingredients, nice rosey shade, good staying power, packed with argan oil, no animal cruelty

Cons: Pricey, a bit sticky

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 5:08:00 AM More reviews by Hotflashes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

On my second Rosey. I use this like I do Nars Malibu ... scribbled or dotted and blended and then forgot about for the rest of the day. Cheeks and lips. Love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by bkurant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

reading all the reviews, i wasnt quite sure that i would like this blush stick. but i do. i like it. i do not love it.
i got it in glow, full size. the tube is a bit wide and not really usefull for use as a lipcolor. which is ok, because i find this collor doesnt really show on my lips, but only makes them dry.
as a blush, i like it much better, because the color is absolutely gorgeous on my fair skin. my cheeks glow, yet the color is most natural. good for daytime and with another swipe, for an evening. i am in love with the way it looks.
note: not very easy to apply on dry skin. if your skin is dry, please add extra moisturizer or argan oil before using this stick.
staying power is average. again not bad, but not the best. i get 4-6 hours on everage.
if not for my beloved cheek gelee, i would probably give this blush a higher rating. i still might buy it in travel size, but nothing compares to the coolness and staying power of gelle. at least, nothing thus far :)

edit: had to take 1 lippy off and change to 'NO', will not buy again.

1) the smell of this color stick is just too off-putting. usually, i do not mind herbal or medicinal smells. heck, i even took traditional chinese medicine. and if you ever made healing tea prescribed by tcm doctor, you know strong smell. but the smell of this stick is so strong, it makes my eyes water every time i try to use it as a blush.

2) for some reason the blush gets more and more difficult to apply. strange. it was not easy to blend when it was cold outside. as the weather is getting warmer, one would think, the blush would get softer. but no, it gets drier instead. maybe i got a bad product, when i tried it at sephora several times and it was rather creamy. but then sephora has those industrial strength lights beaming all day...who knows. but i will not re-purchase. in fact, i had a chance to buy few other colors on sale, but couldnt get over the horrid smell.
too bad, because if you can get over awful smell and difficulties with application, the resulting color is gorgeous.

update: i traveled a lot over summer months and did not take the stick with me, as it is too bulky. it was stored inside a container with a tight lid along with other jm products. just came home to find the stick is so dry, it is impossible to use. dry paint is not as dry. it did not dry out in a tube, and retained the original shape. it is just so dry, it cannot be spread without ripping your skin. to the trash it goes. what a waste of money :(

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2014 11:03:00 PM More reviews by ChristianChrissy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am all for NATURAL, but this color stick is 2 thumbs down 4 me. I got mine (color: Pink Peony) in a make-up kit from QVC & was actually shocked at the SMELL!! I have been an ardent user of essential oils for 25+ yrs & the STRONG scent of this 'color stick' caused me to do a 'double take.' It smells to high heaven of (mostly) tea tree oil. Even tho I can tolerate the strong smell, I KNEW many users would NOT! Also, I do like the idea of a combo lipstick & blush which I have done for decades w my Cover Girl lipstick, but JM missed the mark on this, too. On the lips, there is little color payoff & formula is too greasy as a lipstick. As a blush, the results r ok, but there is little 'staying' power. Also, I do like the color (4 my skin tone), but I recommend JM rethink the name. 'Pink Peony' is more like 'Rust Brick.' On the upside, this is the only product of Jodie Marins I am not impressed with.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I love this in spice, a brown rosy color. It blends really nicely and gives a healthy glow. It lasts longer on me then other creme blushes I've used in the past. It smells minty and has a cooling effect. So far no clogged pores, will give it more time before deciding if its HG for creme blushes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 8:25:00 PM More reviews by glamourdoll

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I like the portable stick of color idea and the shades are pretty, but the smell of these is just so off-putting that I cannot put them on my face. I received these as a gift and after smelling them, I was very glad that I did not pay for these. I went to look at the Tarte cheek stains, and those colors are beautiful AND they smell nice as well. I think that I would be much happier with the Tarte product instead of this one---which was a total no-go for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

I really love Josie's products, and really do love certain things about these color sticks. The colors are beautiful and natural looking, and you get so much product it would take you forever to finish one.

I have two of them: Petal Pink, a peachy pink with a little bit of luminosity; and Beautiful, a natural rosy pink. Both the colors are ridiculously flattering in their own way. Petal is the color that brightens you up: it's the ultimate external hangover cure. Beautiful makes you look like a blushing bride, innocent and sensual at the same time. There's a major problem with Beautiful, though: from what I can tell, it's only available on QVC in the JM Pure & Simple kit. Believe me, the kit is totally worth it, but it really stinks that you might just want Beautiful and aren't able to get it separately if you wanted.

I take it easy with cream blush, as it's so much easier for my cheeks to look blotchy (which they are under my foundation). I only have to tap them on my cheeks for enough color. I then use my fingers to blend, using a tapping rather than a rubbing motion in order for my foundation to not get rubbed off. It looks so natural and so youthful.

As others have mentioned, they do have a smell. To me it smells like Tea Tree, which this does contain, and it has a medicinal smell that takes some getting used to. The ingredients list rosemary oil, which I think is partly to blame as well. That's a shame, because not only is the smell unpleasant (unlike actual rosemary), it's also known to be an irritant. It's low down on the ingredient list, but still. What is the reason for it to be there? She already put Argan oil, shea butter, avocado butter, and other moisturizing ingredients in these sticks. There's no reason on earth to put rosemary oil in this product.

I do apply these to my lips but I don't find them moisturizing in the least. My cheeks are pretty oily anyway, so I can't comment on whether they moisturize the face.

The main problem I have with these is that they disappear so quickly. I don't know if they work better on dryer skin than mine. But if you want longer lasting blush without an irritant, try Josie's Coconut Cheek gelees. They stain all day!