October 22, 2014 | 1834 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Cosmopolitan Blend Perfection Sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2013 5:24:00 PM More reviews by daisysteiner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall a great tool and currently my favourite way to apply foundation.

Pros
- gives natural finish
- can easily achieve good coverage (combination of these two points is the main feature for me, since I have mild acne)
- fairly quick to work with
- refreshing feeling (if you use the sponge wet)
- can be used right after washing, doesn't need to dry first
- cheaper than Beauty Blender (allegedly works just as well if not better, don't know, haven't tried)
- very practical shape

Cons
- still overpriced for what it is, at least in some shops
- soaks up liquid foundation (I'm not counting this as a design flaw though, it's a bloody sponge)
- the finish is maybe a little too dewy, if you don't like that, you need to powder it down
- it's harder to cover larger pores with it, sometimes I have to use my synthetic buffing brush for that

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by jarona

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been reading about the Beauty Blender sponge but just could not bring myself to pay the price. Instead, while taking a trip to my local TJ Maxx, I saw this Cosmopolitan Blend Perfection Sponge for $4.99. I figured, what the heck, right?
I followed the directions for the first use, watched it expand, then wrung the excess out with a towel and applied some liquid foundation.
It applied my makeup beautifully. These days, I'm very careful with my foundation as I'm older--and in the winter, my skin gets dry so my foundation can get cakey if I am not careful.
What stopped me from giving this sponge 5 lipsticks was that I had to use quite a bit of the foundation as the sponge absorbed an awful lot. If it hadn't absorbed so much, this would have gotten a 10!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Ancatje

I love to use this sponge with heavier coverage foundations and with cream foundations. It gives them a flawless and non-cakey finish, which I find is a lot harder to achieve when using a brush with those types of foundations.
What this sponge does is sheer the foundation down, which is why it doesn't look cakey, but if the initial coverage is not enough for you, with this sponge you can put another layer or two on to get the desired coverage but it will still not look heavy.
With sheer to medium foundations, I prefer to use a brush, even though this sponge would still give a beautiful finish but I just prefer not to sheer already sheer foundations down and have to add another layer.
My mum absolutely loves this as well and has been using it exclusively with all her liquid foundations ever since I bought one for her a couple years back! I think we've bought about six of these between the two of us, and both of us will keep repurchasing for as long as they make them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by Parisa909

I decided to purchase this sponge applicator by Cosmopolitan after watching Gossmakeupartist's video on YouTube in which he stated it was a pretty perfect dupe to the infamous 'Beautyblender'!

Now, the Beautyblender is egg-shaped whereas this sponge looks more like a bloated hourglass with a point at the top. The sponge feels firm and soft, and doesn't feel rough against skin. The shape makes it easier to hold and the pointed end is ideal for really getting into areas such as around the nose and eyes.

So, to use it, I simply wet the sponge under a tap for a couple of seconds, then wring up the excess water. By wetting the sponge it expands to twice it's size. I take my foundation of choice, apply some on the back of my hand and then dip the flat end of the sponge into the foundation then dot it around my face. The idea is to 'bounce' the foundation all over your face, not rub it around like you would with a brush. The motions of bouncing should ensure your foundation goes on as smooth and flawlessly as possible, looking completely streak-free.

It really does work to apply foundation as close to that airbrushed finished as possible, and makes it so easy! I have used the sponge with several different foundation types - Estee Lauder Double Wear which is a liquid foundation, MAC Studio Sculpt which has a gel consistency and also MAC Studio Fix Powder, a pressed powder foundation. With each foundation it has delivered a perfectly blended finish. The sponge works very well with both pressed powder and loose powder. I use the tip of the sponge to apply concealer under my eyes - it fits well within the contours and also around my nose.

To clean the sponge I simply wash it in warm water with either bar soap or baby shampoo. I dry it by squeezing it in a towel the use the circular holder it came in to maintain the shape.

I used to use synthetic brushes to apply my foundation, such as the Real Techniques Stippling and Buffing brushes, as well as the Sigma F82 and Everyday Minerals Flat-Top Kabuki brushes, but I honestly love this sponge the best for applying foundation now. It really makes a difference to the way that my foundation looks and has cut down the application time much quicker, and I never have to worry about streaks or patches. Wholeheartedly recommend!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 7:40:00 AM More reviews by Airplanejunkie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this product is great! I've been eyeing up the beauty blender for a while but the price of 22 just puts me off it!i found this little thing whilst browsing around superdrug and it was only 3.99!!!

I currently use the revlon colorstay foundation and it can get a little cakes around the mouth area for some reason, I use this to sheer it out and make it sink into the skin more! I love this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2012 6:25:00 AM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been on a makeup binge this year, and out of all the brushes and applicators I have bought this is the best. I have bought the core collection of brushes and the stippling brush from Real Techniques and while I love them, I'd choose this over them any day.

I don't use this for application, just blending. I have (reviewed before) Illamasqua's Rich Liquid Foundation, and just found I couldn't get along with it. It always looked good for about an hour, then broke up and collected unpleasantly. With the sponge - and I really don't know why it makes such a difference - I get a flawless finish that LASTS!

I also use this with MAC F&B and get equally good results. Basically, I apply the foundation with either a brush or my fingers. I then use a wet and then well squeezed out sponge and bounce and roll it all over my face. It gives a really flawless, poreless appearance which I love. It also helps the foundation stay put and look good for longer.

I can only assume the reviewer before me has a dud, because mine bounces back into shape immediately.

I would recommend this for cream or liquid foundations, for blending anyway. It was cheap and lasts well.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Vinylscratcher

This product is terrible, I've tried all the dupes of the beauty blender and I have to say this is the worst. When you squeeze out the excess water, the sponge does not bounce back (like the beauty blender does), it stays squished. There is no difference between this and a cheap cosmetic sponge; infact, I'd rather use a cheap cosmetic sponge or my fingers than this product. Do not buy it, it's a waste of time and money.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by glossygloss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm so glad to give this product five lippes like everyone before me. Wow, this sponge is AMAZING!! And I never thought I'd be saying those words. I recently bought the real techniques stippling brush which I heard so many rave reviews about but this sponge puts it to shame. For 4.99, I think everybody should own one of these. I used it to apply my least favourite, cakey, icky foundation which I'm trying to use up so that I can return to the ones I like, but this sponge made it look so flawless on my skin, like I wasn't wearing any foundation. I also had a pretty bad break out and I had not been able to cover them with concealer, but once I used the sponge they were covered. Can't believe I waited so long to get this. If you're thinking about getting the beauty blenders, try this first. I can't personally vote for the similarity between the two, because like others have said, I'm never going to spend more than 20 on a SPONGE.

I do find the bouncing motion a little odd and uncomfortable but it's a lot quicker than using a brush or fingers.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 5:13:00 PM More reviews by mkupmad727

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used this with Loreal, Giorgio Armani and heavy cream foundations. Though, I feel it is best with fluid textures. The effect resulting in foundation that looked like skin and not makeup. This is a definite must try where those of you who have used stippling brushes and have found the swirling/buffing motion on your face accentuated dry patches. I have the most severe of dry/flaky and acne prone skins, yet when i used this sponge it completely melded the foundation into my skin and gave me a soft focus finish. With, no signs of flakes in sight. This sponge delivers a very even, thin and flawless coverage and in no time at all as it requires very little effort. will continue to purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 9:40:00 AM More reviews by fkaniz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Looking at it you can tell this is just a dupe of the Beauty Blender, but a heck of a lot cheaper- pricing at just 4.95. I can't compare the two as I refuse to pay 22 for a Make up sponge, however I LOVE this product it gives you a really seamless, almost air brushed finish. Like the beauty blender it is also latex free, expands twice it's size when damp and bounces on your skin rather than dragging your skin. The packaging is nothing compared to the beauty blender but it does it's purpose so what more could you ask. Overall, good value for money and gives you a really good finish.