April 23, 2014 | 1452 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2014 10:49:00 AM More reviews by lizzchan12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I was looking for a new makeup removing cleanser just to try something different, and the sales rep at Sephora recommended this product to me. I really wanted to like this cleansing oil, but I honestly can't say that I do. I wear waterproof eye makeup and liquid foundation, so I need a makeup removing cleanser that can do the job, and this one isn't it. I use an eye makeup remover and face towelette before cleansing to completely remove all my makeup, and I always have to wash my eye area several times with this product just to get all my mascara and eyeliner completely off, which is not only annoying but not good for my sensitive eye area either. From what I read of previous posts, others experienced this issue also. In addition, this cleanser has a weird consistency, and I tried to look up the best ways to emulsify it by using water, but it still sucked in my opinion. People also mentioned the awful taste that gets in your mouth when using this, and I totally agree. I don't even have my mouth open when washing my face, yet somehow I always get a disgusting bitter taste in my mouth when using this product for some strange reason, and I'm not even done with the negative reviews yet. I also get uneven bumps around my eye and cheekbone area with this product. I haven't changed anything else with my skincare routine, and I went back to using another makeup removing cleanser that I still had a small amount of, and the uneven texture did subside, but when going back to the JM cleanser, they reappeared, leading me to the conclusion that this cleanser was causing that. The only reason I tolerate the strange bumps is that it doesn't appear obvious on my skin, I can only feel it, but even if it isn't obvious to others who wants to feel unevenness on their face? As far as I'm concerned, there is no excusing the poor results this product yields for the price it sells on the market. The only reason I'm not throwing this product away right now is because of the price and how quickly it goes due to how much product is needed to get the desired results. Really the only positive things I have to say about this cleanser are the packaging is really sanitary, easy to pump and open/close, and it did not break out my acne prone skin. I'm sad to have such a scathing review about a Josie Maran product, but I just don't like this cleansing oil. Maybe those of you who don't wear waterproof or heavy makeup will have better results, but I still would not recommend this.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by jesstorious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Feels like it takes more work to get make up off, especially my mascara(which isn't waterproof) and that I have to tug my eyelashes a lot. I follow up with a cleanser and toner, so my face hast broken out from this. I prefer coconut oil to remove make up though, cheaper & more effective.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2014 4:12:00 AM More reviews by Agarcialisa

I forgot to add that I dilute mine with plenty of water!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by katejh

I bought this last winter, tried it and hated it. I recently found the bottle and thought I'd give it another try. To my surprise I now love it. I realized I had been using it wrong (in my opinion) by not diluting it with a TINY bit of water so that it will spread easily across my skin. Originally I had just been trying to spread the cleansing oil and found it too thick and hard to spread. Adding a tiny bit of water seems to emulsify it enough that it works perfectly. It works very well to remove makeup, even stubborn eye makeup. I have sensitive/combination skin and I normally get breakouts around my chin. Since I have been using this my skin looks great, needs less moisturizer afterward, and I have yet to see a breakout.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

I love cleansing oils as it takes off my waterproof m/u and sunscreen. I've tried them all and have to honestly say that even though I do love a lot of JM's products, her c/o was not a winner.

I found that it was extremely thick for a cleansing oil, it didn't emulsify very well, but more importantly it didn't break down or remove most/ all my m/u. My gel liner was hard to get off whereas other oils were a breeze ( ahem...MAC). I felt as though my face had residue on it, so I needed to follow up with a cloth.

The price is steep for a product that just doesn't do the job. No, I will not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by meganlovesyooou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Josie Maran is the bomb, I love the Argan Oil Light, and I REALLY wanted to love this. It just missed the mark for me! I love using cleansing oils as a pre-cleanse (after removing my eye makeup) to remove residue and face makeup. Then, I'll usually follow up with a gel cleanser. Since Josie is the queen of oils, I was super excited to try this out, but it was just disappointing on a few levels.

This stuff is THICK and somewhat sticky. Don't expect this to effortlessly glide over your skin, UNLESS you're using like 5 full pumps which makes it somewhat easier. This makes it pretty unpleasant to use around the eyes, and it feels like you're just tugging your lashes and brows with the product.

Also, although it smells lovely, I second what another user had said about it tasting absolutely horrible and SOMEHOW it always ends up getting into my mouth. Blech. Sticking with Amore Pacific as soon as I finish the bottle of the Josie oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by raindrops_on_roses

I was inspired to get a bottle after trying a little sample that the Sephora employee threw into my bag. With the absolutely brutal weather we've been having this winter, the thought of an oil based cleanser sounded just lovely. Is it worth the high price tag? Possibly, but as always it depends on what you need your cleanser to do. First off, I only use this on days I wear makeup, which is most days. The stuff is so damn pricy that if I'm going to use it I want it to work hard for me. I pondered whether to actually use this to remove my eye makeup or just on my facial skin, because to get all that requires extra product and elbow grease (grease...ha. I see what I did there) and I'm not sure how I feel about rubbing all that oil into my eye socket....blech. I ended up compromising and using it as a first wave of eye makeup removal--if I'm wearing quite a bit that day, I need to go over it again with a face wipe to get the last traces off. The oil works pretty well on this front though.

The cleanser feels tacky and not as easy to spread as I thought an "oil" would, but I actually don't mind this because it makes me spend more time massaging it into my face, which seems like it would be good for circulation and for getting out every little bit of makeup. When you add water, it becomes creamy and foamy and quite easy to wash away, leaving no oily residue but just soft, clean skin. I like it for the winter but I don't know about as a year round thing...time will tell. Oh yeah, avoid getting even a tiny bit of this in your mouth (which for some reason is difficult for me to do) because it tastes nasty!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 7:33:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I never thought I would ever use a cleansing oil on my face. I have super oily, acne-prone skin and have always avoided any product that contained oil. After reading here on MUA that oil can actually be good for oily-prone skins, I decided to get a sample of this product at Sephora. The thick texture feels so great on my skin, plus I love the citrusy scent. It does a pretty good job of removing makeup but I feel I need to follow up with another cleanser if I'm wearing heavier makeup. This product is available in a full-sized bottle and a smaller travel sized bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Nicolebby

I received this as a deluxe sample from Sephora and it was my first experience using a cleansing oil. I absolutely love it, and if the nearest Sephora wasn't an hour and a half away, I would have purchased it already! But since it will be awhile before I can get there, I just picked up Dermalogica's Precleanse from Ulta, and it is wonderful as well. I still plan on picking this up the next time I am in Austin, though.

First off, I love the smell. It isn't necessary, but it's nice all the same. It's citrus-y but still light enough that it is not overpowering. Also, a little goes a long way, and once it is completely rinsed off, it leaves my skin so soft and smooth and NEVER dry, I love it. A few drops and I could easily smooth it over a dry face, and once rinsed off, I am makeup free. Seriously, it removes makeup like a dream. Once you add some water to it, it turns nice and milky which I massage for another minute or so on my skin, which was a pleasant surprise; I was not expecting it to foam up as much as it did, which was nice, and rinses off easily without leaving a greasy residue. Another awesome thing was that, it has never caused me to break out. Seriously, never once.

I follow this up with a cleanser, EVERY time, so I am not sure how well it would work as a makeup remover/cleanser all in one. It works wonders for removing makeup, but I just like following up with my Clarisonic, and if I am being honest, some makeup is typically left over on my brush head after use, so I would never just use this and be done at night.

Next time I am in Sephora, or when I make my next online purchase, I can guarantee that I will pick this up. I would definitely recommend to remove makeup, it is fantastic-even though it is extremely pricey.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this as a deluxe sample in a "try me" set at Sephora. I find this cleansing oil works well for me. Gets all my makeup off. Rinses easily without a greasy film afterwards. Has a citrus/grapefruit scent to it. I prefer unscented, but I can life with it. I use DHC deep cleansing oil and it's a go to if I'm out of my DHC oil.