January 26, 2015 | 965 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2015 10:42:00 PM More reviews by CLAWZGALAW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff! I received it with my Clairsonic and I only use this product with it.... my skin feels AMAZING after I use the two together!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2015 6:32:00 PM More reviews by mpb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

**It is very important to know how to properly use this product.** I was looking for a makeup remover at Sephora and one of the associates suggested this. The idea of using a cleanser with oil to wash off makeup just didn't seem right but I thought I'd give it a try. I was disappointed the first time I used it as I felt it didn't do anything. I was ready to return it the next day until I read in another review on MUA that I was using it incorrectly.

The correct way (as previously described) is: With DRY hands, evenly apply 1-2 (as needed) pumps on DRY skin. THEN wet your fingertips and start circling and massaging the cleanser onto your face slowly adding water a little at a time. It will eventually get milky...keep massaging and adding water when needed. Unlike other reviews, I found this rinsed well but only after I learned how to use it.

I was worried about using this on my combination skin but my face feels clean and well hydrated but not oily. I noticed my face looking brighter and more supple every time I used it. I only gave it 4 lippies because found it wasn't enough for removing waterproof eye makeup. You'll still need to get a separate makeup remover for that. I recommend Sephora's waterproof eye makeup...which I love and consider a must have staple.

I like the pump application which you can lock by twisting. It did leak a bit in my backpack during one of my overnight trips but I might not have closed it correctly. A cover/cap would be a good idea. I also like the light fresh scent. It would be nice if it came in a travel sized bottle for small trips (unless there already is one?). I would definitely buy this cleanser again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2015 5:23:00 PM More reviews by shopfiend1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Loving this product so far! I was new to the oil-removes-oil school of thought, and discovered it after putting some 'ethnic' product into my white-girl hair that was GREAT...except for the petroleum jelly. The only thing that removed it was straight oil (sunflower & olive in this case). I have a very DRY face, and don't break out except on the chin That Week Of The Month...but I do have annoying sebaceous filaments. That's those pores that look dark and dirty but are NOT above the skin like blackheads would be. The JM cleansing oil is absolutely removing those! It IS sticky and slow to move around the face as some have said, but not THAT bad. It emulsifies fine for me, contrary to what many have said. Though it doesn't say to, SHAKE the bottle 1st. You can see it separate in the bottle, and it only seems logical, then, to mix it. Perhaps that accounts for some of the problems. It does taste bad, but who buys a face wash for how it tastes?? Weird. I feel it is overpriced for the amount you get, but it is effective for me, so sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too. I bought 3 more bottles on 20% off at Sephora. If you buy it or ask for a sample, remember to shake!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by brunette

I got this at Sephora as part of a set. I like cleansing oils for removing makeup, especially in winter, but this is not one I would buy again. I found I had to follow it up with a regular cleanser to remove residue. My preference is for Eucerin Skin Calming body wash--also an oil cleanser. It works great for me as a facial cleanser, removing makeup and leaving my skin soft with no residue and the price is far more reasonable and doesn't leave a bitter taste in my mouth like the Maran product. I can't speak for the full size packaging because I had the trial size version, but the Eucerin 8.4 oz bottle is easier to dispense in the shower.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by lenhearts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I am a cleansing oil addict, since using the Shu Uemura ultimate8 cleansing oil I have never gone back to ordinary cleansers. I love the soft, freshly moisturised feeling that I get from using cleansing oils.

I bought the Josie Maran cleansing oil at Sephora in Waikiki on a trip for my friend's wedding. I was looking to try something different when my ultimate8 cleansing oil ran out and I heard great reviews on the Josie Maran argan oil.

The oil is quiet thick and rich. I found I only needed one pump of oil to cleanse my entire face. When using the oil, I found it difficult to distribute smoothly and it tended to clump in one section when applied directly to my face. To solve this I would usually mix a little bit of water with the oil before applying to my face. Once I added the water, it emulsified and was quiet easy to apply. This cleansing oil did an average job of removing makeup, so I used waterproof makeup remover prior to cleansing just to make sure there was no left over residue. Once on my face, it still felt quiet thick and clumpy for my liking. The hardest part about this cleanser?... I found was rinsing it off. My advice is make sure you use plenty of water and massaging action to get the cleanser off, it is quiet sticky.

I do not find this cleanser ideal for every day use (I use cleansing oil every night) due to the fact that this cleanser was too thick and sticky without water, did not do a great job at removing makeup and needed a fair bit of work to wash off. I also found that it was far too strong for my skin and I experienced a few little breakouts, which I usually don't get.

The pros? it does a great job of moisturising for a cleanser, espescially on dry skin which to me is extremely important- there is nothing worst than a cleanser that strips your skin and leaves it thirsty and taut.

Would I buy it again? not as long as Shu Uemura cleansing oils are still available.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2014 10:19:00 AM More reviews by newyorkdely

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Got this as part of the Winter Dreams collection. I don't really like it, though I have VERY dry and sensitive skin. The first night I tried it my skin was a little dry, but ok. But by the second night I started getting irritation on my cheeks. Also, I don't like the citrus smell at all. This may be better for people with acne prone skin. But if you're like me, you can add this to the list of cleansers that will do more harm than good.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by crissy234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This cleansing oil worked fine for me to get off my makeup (I always cleanse again with soap after using any kind of cleansing oil or makeup wipe). I can see what people are talking about when they say this oil feels drier on the skin than some other oils. I'm currently using Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm and I like it better (I think it might be a little cheaper too, but I can't remember), so I probably wouldn't purchase this one again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2014 7:08:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I am quite a fan of cleansing oils since I apply a lot of matte sunscreens which are hard to get off with a regular cleanser. I read all the negative reviews and was prepared to hate this product which I got as part of a great VFM pack at Sephora which also consisted of the sunscreen and pure argan oil. I use this at work mainly to get rid of sunscreen. I'm not a huge fan of a heavy citrus smell although I don't really mind it either. It feels much thicker than the DHC cleansing oil (my HG) and like others have said, when you're rinsing it off, it doesn't feel as satisfying taking it off. However, it caused no problems even when I was having a very dry peeling sensitive skin break out period and actually helped to heal my skin. When you dry your face, it does feel clean and doesn't require double cleansing. In fact, my skin could use moisturising after using it since I sit in a dry air-conditioned environment all day.

However I still prefer the DHC Cleansing oil which has the added advantage of turning white when you wet it which gives me a lot of satisfaction as I know if I have left out rinsing any areas. However, this works great to carry around as it is available in a nice travel size and Sephora has a great deal. This will last me a good 3-4 months I think.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 8:41:00 AM More reviews by sophie_lapin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am not a fan. I went through the other reviews and just assumed many did not know how to use a cleansing oil. Nope. What they are saying is true. Maybe there are some bad batches out there and I got one of them??? I bought a full size 2 weeks ago.
The citrus smell is pleasant. It is thicker than any other cleansing oil I have used and is a bit more difficult to spread. This was not a problem for me, just wanted to confirm what other reviewers have mentioned.
After rubbing it in for a minute, I wet my fingers to emulsify. Not working. Wet my fingers some more. Still doesn't really 'lather' up. Then I get frustrated and start splashing. Not working. Then I just give up and splash to rinse off but it doesn't ever really feel rinsed off.
I will stick with DHC's deep cleansing oil. Josie Maran's is too much work.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by aquarianrabbit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this oil cleanser because I love oil cleansers and haven't found an HG yet, but this is not it. First of all, I use oil cleansers to remove makeup and if I feel like it, to deep clean, which requires about seven minutes of rubbing oil into my skin repeatedly, then rinsing and double cleansing with a creme or foaming cleanser after.

This can't even do one job well, let alone two. It doesn't remove makeup as well as other oil cleansers I've tried (MAC for example) and it can't deep clean my pores. It's a very thick oil cleanser, much thicker than anything else I've tried. It is a little hard to spread across my entire face, unless I use a lot of it or add some water. The scent is a sort of warm orange and is very pleasant. It always leaves smudges of my eyeliner and mascara under my eyes, which is weird because my ADE Creamy Cleanser or MAC Oil Cleanser does not do this. The Josie Maran one doesn't emulsify very well, either and definitely necessitates a second cleansing. On the upside, it never dried out my skin. It did, however, break out in big cystic acne when I decided not to double cleanse with another cleanser after using this. I thought I'd try to just use this and see if it worked and ended up with two giant blemishes on my left cheek. And you know they take a solid month to go away. Not happy.

I'm lucky I had one of those travel sized jars to test out, otherwise I would've purchased the full sized and suffered through it. The only way I see this really working for someone is if they have really, really dry skin and don't wear much makeup or s/s. For my makeup wearing, combo-skin-having face, this didn't do the job. I won't be repurchasing.