LUSH Breath of God

3.8

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I love this scent so much that I repurchased both another liquid AND the solid!

First picked up the small sized spray in cylindrical tube - great for travel. Initially thought it was for my hubby, but turned out to speak to me more. We often wear the same scents, those either defined as masculine or gender-neutral. Woody/incensey/smoky/some citrus - those are our main categories.

Scents I love and wear regularly:
Tumulte
Coriolan
Encre Noir
Original Gucci Eau de Parfum (dark brown in color, from about 8 years back,maybe longer)
Rochas Mystere
Givenchy III, Eau de GIvenchy, Le De Givenchy (summer scents)
Commes des Garcons Wonderwood
Eau d'Hermes
Baryshnikov Misha

I used this one a few times before I thought to look it up on the Lush site and see their description - so I'll give you my untainted perception of Breath of God:
Incense/smoke/top notes are dry rather than sweet on first application. Complex like Lalique Encre Noir (men), woody like Christian LaCroix Tumulte (men - pure clean cedar). Rounded in the way Guerlain Coriolan is - smoother than the Lalique, deeper than the LaCroix. As it dries down, I get a slightly sweeter scent, but still incense-based, like a fine Japanese incense with delicate floral notes. At the end, there is leather and sweet (not quite gourmand, and not a vanilla or caramel sweet, either), a bit of salt a la Alien by Thierry Mugler, smoke, incense, and something transparent. It is delicious, and I LOVE to smell it on my clothing after wearing. It clings in the best of ways.

Put into imagery, this is tactile like velvet and suede and heavy heavy puddling silks. It is amber colored light, lamplight, gas lights, and spices, both sweet and savory. It is bohemian beatnik opium den salons, prohibition liquor and risque elegance. It is Erte ladies lounging on tasseled pillows, with Afghan hounds laying nearby. It is luxury and Cartier and the great bracelet made for Gloria Swanson. It is black leather worn by someone who has black leather intentions and abilities. It is seduction more than sex.

This has become my unexpected warm weather travel sexy scent. I live in a cold and arid northern climate, and never am quite sure what frags will smell like in warmer weather, or in more humid areas. This one really softens, rounds out, expands in warm, humid places. I love that it isn't readily recognized, and it isn't terribly commonly worn. Great for indoors, as it doesn't project very far from the skin, but it does occasionally waft about in just the right way.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

An HG summer scent for me - I never thought it possible to combine aquatic with smoke, leather, and salt - but they did! Such an unusual and lasting scent! Some say this is masculine; I disagree. It is fresh and clean and really unique. Anyone who finds this too masculine can send theirs to me!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is such a unique scent! Okay to describe it humm it's earthy, loamy, incense, smoky, peppery then changes to a dark aquatic & on dry down a peppery smoky floral. You won't smell like a tween locker room (ugh VS Love Spell I like it as much as any1 else but not on sweaty 12 yr old girls), but I feel I'm not doing the description justice. It's such a neat perfume. My Father got it for me so I got it unsniffed but I'm blown away by how unique this is & how much I love it & LUSH in general. This stays close to the body if u sit next to someone in Church they might smell you or if u get a lingering hug don't be surprised of when some1 unconsciously leans in closer LOL this really IS divine I see where they came up w the name! If you're a leader & not a follower this is just what u need. I cannot stop smelling my arm once I apply it. I've already made a dent in the pan!

I cant get over the smoky smell of this perfume. Its funky like an old cig laced with perfume. Yuck just not for me

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Overall, I quite liked the smell of Breath of God once it was on. It is somewhat masculine and so I was a bit worried about that, but as I wore it the more feminine, floral scents came out.
I bought the solid version and I like the applicator. The only problem I've had are that if you push it out too far, you have to push it back in from the top which can be a bit messy.

The solid version is also a blue colour, so if you put on too much it's pretty obvious on your skin. This isn't so much a problem on your wrists but it is if you accidentally turn your neck blue.

I'm new to the Lush perfume world but I'm so happy I bought this one and gave it a fair chance. I had always smelled the samples in the store but all the other aromas in the store made it very difficult to appreciate what their perfumes had to offer. I tried this one first by applying it during one of my visits to the store. I didn't fall in love until after I left the mall and was in my car! This scent is very unique, unisex and daring! Reminds me of a rainy Tibetan temple with lingering clean crisp incense smoke. It's not for everybody, either you love it or hate it. It's more modern and inspirational to me than it is pretty or sexy. Would be ideal for the Fall in my opinion. This perfume opened me up to many other unique Lush perfumes (except for the brand new funky bottled ones, I just can't seem to get into those no matter how hard I try). It's my favorite from Lush. Sample worthy if you're still unsure!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'll start off by saying that I am a fragrance newb. I can see why another reviewer thought this smelled like the inside of a CVS - when I first smelled it, it smelled that way to me too, and I suddenly regretted purchasing this (I got the solid form). But I kept it on and after a little while, it started smelling a little better, more like my favorite Lush body wash, Tramp (I really want a solid perfume of that). Overall I do like the way this smells, but it is definitely rather odd, especially as a women's fragrance. To me it smells aquatic, clean, androgynous, and intriguing, which are all qualities that I admire and that I aspire to. It's not for everyone, but if you're looking for something different, check it out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Smoky, leathery incense goodness. dries down to a deep dark aquatic smell ... really nice for MEN!

..there's something nutty about this one....like some kind of strange sacral hazelnut,and like many reviewers I fell in love with it after a first whiff...
like I said many times before, I really don't seem to like gettin on a ''woohoo-I'm-soo-cool-and-use-Lush-like -Madonna'' bandwagon, simply because of the aggressive marketing leaning towards persuasion of ''how good and versatile Lush products are''..(NOT!)..and being bougt and used by many respectable stars makes it even a little repulsive for me...why the heck should I care what Madonna or Kardashians wear?....so I tend to avoid Lush and given the very high prices, I think justified so.
but luckily for me, a friend brought this to my attention by bringing a small,ugly,black bottle with 30 g(?like, haven't they heard about liquid measures for f.sake??) product...and as soon as I frowned at the mentioned brand, I took a shot and was left speechless...

this is very,very niche-sque sort of fragrance, very deep,soft and unbeleavably wearable!
starting off with a pungent smell of burnt wood,bonfire,fur,and very prominent cedarwood, you would've thought something icky this way''ll come, but nope, this goes in whole another path...black pepper listed as a componend gives a fantastic sweetenes to a scent, and ylang-ylang makes it zingy,almost bready, but with no flower accord familliar to my nose...
it is quite strong and violent, but after just 15 minutes it settles into a wonderful melange,making an aromatic-woody scent (not oriental imho) very well money-worthy...and that's ALOT of money!!!it seems to me a better choice to buy a big botlle than just a 10 ml. decant because it is just tooo darn expensive!!!

but all in all it goes amazingly good with my skin's PH and makes me think of twisted CdG creations such as Tar or maybe even some leathery scents like Cuir Ottoman(without the light and beautiful iris part)..
worthy of your attention if you like totaly different kind of slightly woody/animalic nutty scents....try before you buy!!!

lasting life- aproximately 5 hrs...just about enough!

don't get me started with the development phases because it is the wildest rollercoaster you'll ever experience!!!

10/10! (even though it's Lush!)

HG within its type. I've tested it alongside Lust and Ginger at a Lust store and had to come back to get a full bottle. It's a solemn, spiritual, rich, very complex fragrance. I agree with the references to oriental temples and holy ceremonies. I also agree that it changes drastically according to skin, weather condition etc. On my friend, for example, it smells like disinfectant. Breath of God is something I put on when I feel chic, introspective and serene. It's not a sexy, flirtatious fragrance. Having said that, this 'not so obvious' character might be just what it takes for you to get noticed.

Popular Fragrances