December 18, 2014 | 1614 users online

Styling Products - Not Your Mother's - Girl Powder Volumizing Hair Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Angelique79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Scored this for 4 bucks at Walmart and I cannot believe I ever lived without it. 2nd day hair for me falls flat as it's fine and gets oily fast. Dry shampoo beats the oil slick but sometimes even the best stuff doesn't rebuild volume. THIS stuff though? Follow after dry shampoo and I cant believe the volume and the hold. The packaging AND the reviews here are right: a little goes a long way, which is a great bonus because it makes the bang for the little buck I spent all the more economical.

Amazing!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Jessica84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the weirdest/coolest stuff! I have long, super-fine, slick, lifeless hair. I have used so many high-end mousses and hairsprays just to get a tiny bit of volume, which only lasts a few minutes. I even tease my hair and it still falls flat even when I have had it short. This stuff actually gives volume all day! My hair was getting a little flat by the end of the day so I brushed it, scrunched it up at the roots where I had applied the powder in the morning and voila! Volume! I was even able to tease it up and do a ponytail with a "puff" at the crown for the very first time ever! And for everyone saying that it's sticky.....well, yeah! It has to have a stickiness to hold the volume. It's called texture. It's not sticky like hairspray though, it's different. And a little goes a LONG way! I only put it on the layers underneath (not the very top layer of hair) and only at the roots.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by Nicoleroy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is fantastic for giving my fine limp hair some much needed volume at the roots. It does things for my hair that no mousse, root lifter, gel, or volumizing tonic could. Also, the performance of this product as well as the packaging, the amount in the bottle (6 grams) and the ingredients are IDENTICAL to my previous favorite, Unite Expanda Dust! Sadly I discovered this just days after re-purchasing the Unite product for $22 at my salon. I bought the Not Your Mother's powder see how the performance of the 2 products compared, and honestly I can't tell them apart. The first bottle of Unite powder lasted over a year (15 months, with almost daily use).
Don't be fooled by how light the bottle feels, a little goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by Superbeckyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'd relegated this to the 'rubbish' product pile since initially it didn't seem to do anything for my hair; however I've now discovered the secret to gaining killer results from this product - sprinkle a small amount between layers under your hair and scrunch to build volume. Be prepared to gain some serious height - ideal for big hair addicts!
I bought this volumising powder from Urban Outfitters UK online for 7 whilst stocking up on NYM's fantastic shampoo, since I had voucher codes. Yes, we get seriously ripped off price-wise! Upon first receiving it the tube felt empty & I genuinely thought I had a duff product, about to call customer services. However the product is a superfine translucent powder, much lighter than talcum powder but dispensed in a similar fashion, so much care is needed when opening this so the product doesn't escape. The first few times I used it I made the mistake on sprinkling it on top of my hair - initially doing absolutely nothing - rather than underneath, now I've learned my lesson. I now sprinkle it between layers on my day-old, fine hair for big volume and keep in place with Tresemme Freeze Hold hairspray. It doesn't hold for hours and hours but can be scrunched back up and resprayed throughout the day for a quick, minimal effort lift.
Only negative would be that like most volumising products it does feel slightly sticky in the hair but not overly so - I wouldn't use it every day, only when I'm going out and need a boost.
I love the big, buildable, easy volume this product gives me without using sticky hair mousses - I'd give it a 4.5 if I could because of the slight stickiness, but I've yet to find an effective volumising product that's not. I'm just hoping NYM release their wonderful products in UK stores as we're majorly overpaying & I doubt UO will keep them in stock forever - sort it out!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Nikki08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've never tried a volumizing powder before. I have a moderate amount of hair but it's very fine so it's apt to just lay flat on my head. This stuff makes my hair BIG! I love it! Honestly, it does leave a gritty, weird texture on my hair but hey..it makes it poofy! After awhile if your hair does start to go flat you can just scrunch it up with your fingertips and voila, big hair again! I live in Texas where we love our hair big and I would say this is a staple! And for $5 it's worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 9:11:00 AM More reviews by supafeet

I have been looking for something to help give volume to my fine hair. I have a lot of hair, but they are so fine it just lays, especially right by my part. This stuff is awesome. I sprinkled a bit on, turned my head upside down and POOF, volume! And its cheap. You don't need much either. WIN WIN

I got it at Walmart, but one of my Walmarts carries it the other doesn't, so check online for availability.

Also, the container will feel empty but it is in there.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 9:08:00 AM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought two of these at Wal Mart after reading decent reviews on here. I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Big Sexy volumizing powder. Well, I've only used it one, and I already had another product in my hair, so I can't really rightfully pass judgement on this product yet...but my first impression is that it's not great. It is blue...I feel like it dulls my hair color a big...It immediately turns beyond sticky and hard to manipulate after I drop it into my hair. The Big Sexy hair powder is so much easier to use. I wish I had only bought one of these. I will give it another go after having washed my hair and without any other products in it beforehand. Will edit review after then.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 4:48:00 PM More reviews by lipzilla

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this product. It's a fine powder that you sprinkle into your hair - preferably at the roots for best performance. I have long layered fine hair, and this makes *big volume* hair. The holding power doesn't last and last, but just take your fingertips and restyle and you get that big volume all over again without applying more product. I saw no greasy effects from using this product nor white residue - a little goes a long way. I will be repurchasing this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2011 11:04:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very fine, dry hair that is stick straight. This powder worked for me, temporarily. It did not give me volume at the root for more than an hour. As it is inexpensive it is worth trying to see how it will work for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2011 12:26:00 AM More reviews by spunkylilthing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just bought this a couple days ago and I really like it. I have fine, limp, straight hair thats a couple inches past my shoulders and this stuff adds a really nice punch of volume to my roots. The only comparison i have is Aveda's pure abundance hair portion. Id say Aveda's has an overall stronger hold but otherwise is very similar. For 5.00 you can't go wrong trying it.