October 24, 2014 | 1777 users online

Lipstick - Hourglass - Femme Rouge - Raven

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by juliaesands

I have tried this several times at Sephora and this last one was my final test that convinced me not to buy this. The colors of this matte lipstick are beautiful- the range is limited but vivid. I tried this in Raven, a bright orange-red. It went on easily enough and I could easily use a q-tip to clean up the edges of my application. But the consistency on my lips was tacky- to the touch it was soft enough but when I closed my lips, it felt like they were stuck together and I was unpeeling them to open my mouth. To be clear, the consistency is not sticky, it's tacky. I won't be purchasing- I like my lips to feel soft!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2014 1:14:00 AM More reviews by NataLaLa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ah, the never ending search for THE red.

I have an olive/yellow complexion so was after a warm-based bright red that is all like 'looking hot in my bright red lippy, Penelope Cruz/1940s style' rather than like 'hey my lipstick enters the room 5 mins before the rest of my face' - I already have one of those (blue based red).

Description:
Bright red with warm undertones. Some reviewers have described as 'orangey red', which is probably a fair description, but it really is a RED, not to be confused with an in-betweener colour. The texture is moisturising, and the pigment strength is high for a moisturising, dewy lipstick. The packaging is all sexy and gunmetal shiny, and the fact that this is refillable satisfies my inner greenie, so does the fact that hourglass do not test on animals (however, not entirely sure about their ingredients being tested on animals, hmmm).

Application:
Best with a brush as the square shape makes a direct lippy application tricky (for my cupid-bow shaped lips and shaky hands).

Wear:
Yes super moisturising and good pigment, and when it fades it turns to a totally non-offensive, quite flattering salmon-flesh colour. However, I must admit I thought that this luxury fancy-pants lipstick would last a bit longer on my lips, even with lips firstly coloured with red pencil, it didn't have the staying power I dreamed of.

Why I will try other reds before buying this one again:
1. I'm not 100% sure about the company's animal cruelty stance, need to clarify that.
2. Possibly a little light for an olive complexion resulting in more of a bright pop red, rather than sexy red.
3. I will probably NEVER run out of this because I don't wear red all that often (only when I go out, which is like twice a year - yes I am old).

Luv N.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2013 3:39:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

If you're looking for a perfect orange-red this is it. It is elegant, smells lovely, and the formula is very opaque. Looks so beautiful with just mascara and a nice warm bronzer all over the face. Looks bright and makes a statement.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by Leslie2877

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this lipstick!!!!! I have been looking for the perfect shade of fire orange that would look good on my complexion. This is it! I don't even need to use lip liner. It looks so great and right on trend. This is a classic shade that I will wear for years and years. This is my first Hourglass purchase and I will definitely buy more products from them. I absolutely love the packaging too! I even love the way the lipstick is shaped. It's worth the price for the quality and the years it took me to find it. Everything about this is a win!

Update: I still love using this lipstick. For reference, I am NW43 in MAC and Chestnut shade in Chanel foundation. Raven is really stunning. I want to get Icon as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by michele1145

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been on the hunt for an orange based red (red based orange?) since some FOTDs were posted using Lady Danger. Except when I went to check it out it didn't appear nearly as lovely on me as on others. I swung into Sephora and found Raven, applied it and walked around trying to get a real idea of what it looked like in the horrible lighting Sephora insists on installing.

A mua confirmed it was a true warm red (orange?) and that I looked 'hot and sexy'. So I bought 3 (really I just bought one but I told her with that comment I should have bought all three.

I am loving the texture because l/s that are too creamy slide around my face but this is somewhere between a matte and a cream.

I do think the price is absurd but I found what I was looking for without having to sort through endless bins of d/s lipsticks and since I actually mostly on d/s l/s I thought I deserved one over the top one that I 'll most likely wear all fall/winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 10:20:00 PM More reviews by gingersnap250

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

A red lover's red. It's a true red for sure. Definitely my perfect HG red. I would label it neutral, as it's not really blue-based or orange-based. If I were forced to choose, I'd say slightly warmer rather than cooler. It wears well for hours. I own a ton of reds, from NYX and DS brands to high end Chanels and Lancome, etc. This is my FAVE!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2011 1:08:00 PM More reviews by GPD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my second Hourglass lipstick. These are super pigmented and have great coverage with one swipe. The squared off tip kind of annoys me, but supposedly itís supposed to be better for when using a lip brush. At any rate, I find these moderately moisturizing as far as lipsticks in general go. (My fave all time moisturizing lipstick has to be the Chanel Rouge AlluresÖin the cool click packaging.) The color range is a little limited, but overall there are some great classic colors to chose from. Raven is kind of hard for me to put my finger on how to describe it. Itís not warm but itís not cool toned/fuchsia eitherÖand itís not quite neutral? Itís a bright cheery red/watermelon/cherry/strawberry kinda color with perhaps a hint of coral to it. Itís definitely not for the faint of heart. It has a natural ďshineĒ to it as itís not matte, but not glossy either. As with any red lipstick, make sure your lips are well exfoliated and moisturized. (I like to use a lip balm like the EOS spheres under for added moisture.) I have had no issues with feathering with this lipstick, even without using a lip liner. Overall this is a win on my warm/yellow nc20-ish nars Deauville skintone. While it is a little price-y at $30 a tube, they are re-fillable and the packaging feels luxurious and nice in my hand.