Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 [new formula]

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 5.0%, Zinc Oxide 5.0%. Inactive Ingredients: water (aqua), cyclopentasiloxane, propylene glycol, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, cyclohexasiloxane, phytantriol, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, aluminum hydroxide, stearic acid, triethoxycaprylylsilane, boron nitride, glycerin, sodium dehydroacetate, palmitic acid, dextrin palmitate, sodium hyaluronate, butylene glycol, panax ginseng (ginseng) root extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower extract, camellia oleifera (camelia oleifera) leaf extract, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, propylparaben, may contain ( /-) mica, titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499) .

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This is an old faithful for me. A long time ago, I went to a spa that put this tinted moisturizer on after facials. I loved how it made my skin looked. It blurred out imperfections and evened out the skin. I never actually bought it because I was content with my Dior tinted moisturizer. But the medium shade is very orange toned and doesn't work for me in the winter. I moved on to Laura Mercier (broke out) and NARS which had nice coverage for a TM but it felt very heavy on my face, like butter and I couldn't find a great color match. Moved on to Smashbox (broke out) and I ended up back with Stila. For me, I have oily and reactive acne prone skin. A lot of ingredients in cosmetics cause some form of issue for me. I know Stila isn't the most trendy brand but I've always had luck with their face products not causing any issues for me.
As for shades, they seem to cater to light to medium skin tones with cool to neutral undertones. This is a problem for anyone darker than NC40. I'm matched to their darkest shade which is Warm. For reference, I'm medium olive and wear NARS Barcelona. I could have pulled off Medium if it weren't so pink! With Medium, the tone was a little bit too light but the undertone was too cool. Great for someone who is NW25-30.
As for the formula, yes it does have some shimmer but oddly enough, I enjoy it. Being oily skinned, I'm surprised it doesn't make me appear greasy. In fact, it makes my flaws disappear. I set this tinted moisturizer with a matte bronzer and the outcome is beautiful.
Lastly, I love the packaging! The Dior TM is over $10 more than this and it always leaked if you stored the bottle standing up. The product would collect in globs at the opening and inside the cap. Dollars just dripping away! With Stila, no leaking and the cap closes securely on the bottle.

Really, really love this product.
An Ulta employee recommended this product to me when I went to find a bb/cc cream. It has good coverage for a tinted moisturizer, like a bb or cc, and is pigmented.
I noticed a lot of reviews said this product was glittery? I wouldn't say its glittery; its more like specks of sheen, if that makes sense. It doesn't look glittery at all on my face, it looks glowy and i love it! Lasts a long time, and its very lightweight! definitely a holy grail.

on 4/6/2015 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was very unhappy with this product. I had tried using the “tone” shade for a few days, and it is way too glittery. I do not like having sparkles all over my face. I had tried on the product at a local Ulta before making the purchase, but it must have been on an overcast day because the sparkles were not apparent. I really do like the color match on my skin, the glitter is just overpowering in sunlight.

The first time I wore this on a sunny day, I looked like I was covered in a sheen of sweat. I thought that perhaps I had accidentally overapplied (this is what would happen to me if I overapplied Benefit's You Rebel), so the next day I used less than a pea-sized amount on my entire face. I could not stop staring at myself in my car-visor mirror - the glitter was just insane.

If I wanted sparkle/glitter, I would have purchased the “Illuminating” moisturizer which actually has representative glittery stars on the tube. I really wanted to like this moisturizer, so I tried it for a full week before giving up and sending it back.

For reference, Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Enhancer in Light-to-Neutral is comparable on my skin coloring and nice and matte, but I cannot use it because the Neutrogena SPF irritates my eyes. (All Neutrogena sunblock products irritate my eyes - not just cosmetics.)

I am currently using TheBalm Balmshelter in Light/Medium and loving it.

on 3/23/2015 10:13:00 AM

I got a sample of this foundation from Sephora.

I wanted to love it - colour (fair) was great for my skin tone. It was lightweight and sheer but did give me coverage that I was looking for - which is mostly to even out my skin tone. It blended out lovely and made my skin look radiant.

BUT, as others have noted, it has a definite shimmer/glitter to it. I don't think it would noticeable to the average person looking at me from afar, but in direct sunlight and close up, I can see it on my skin. I will not be purchasing.

on 2/17/2015 10:00:00 AM

I have sensitive, dry, acne-prone skin that reacts poorly to many different products. This tinted moisturizer didn't upset my skin in any way, unfortunately, it was always easy to spot on close inspection. It just sat on top of my skin and would not sink in. I tried wearing it over many different products, as well as alone, to no avail. I envy the people it worked for because I like the packaging and the SPF. I'm going to keep looking for that HG tinted moisturizer.

on 11/22/2014 3:22:00 AM

I've noticed that a lot of people are saying this is "glittery?" I've been using this for a while and I've never noticed any kind of glitteriness whatsoever. It's not a whole lot of coverage, but I don't need too much coverage, so it works for me. I wouldn't use this if you have oily skin, sometimes when I use it, it makes me feel kinda oily and my skin typically isn't that oily. But yeah, I definitely don't see the glitter that other people seem to be seeing!

on 9/26/2014 4:24:00 PM

I love this for lazy days. My only complaint is that there isn't a very good range of colors. They are super sheer and blendable though so one or two shades off really doesn't make a difference.

on 4/24/2014 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Pros:
- great shade range
- sufficient UVA/UVB protection
- fragrance free
- contains antioxidants

Cons:
- incredibly sheer
- oxidizes

Even though the amount of pros outweigh the cons, the two cons listed are super super huge for me. I don't have perfect skin and would like at least light coverage (but always striving for medium), but this tinted moisturizer was so sheer that it basically looked like I had applied nothing to my skin. And it oxidized after application. Wah wah wah.

If you have flawless skin and want sheer coverage to even things out + sunscreen, this product would be perfect for you.

on 3/20/2014 9:41:00 PM

I really like this tinted moisturizer. I've sampled several over the last few weeks (including Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Dior, etc) and this one is the winner, for me. I *do* notice a few sparkles in natural outdoor light but it is not Edward Cullen-ish and the coverage and radiance outweigh the slight sparkle factor (which I don't notice indoors where I am most of the day). I use the colour "Tone", which in fact seems *slightly* dark for my skin tone, but it blends out wonderfully and makes my skin radiant. Still need concealer and a dusting of powder (Essence All About Matte is great) but used with primer (Tarte Clean Slate) this lasts a good 10 hours for me (no oily breakthrough!) before it starts to deteriorate. Doesn't settle into fine lines. I really like the "glow" my face has with this. Works very well for me, at least in winter; will see how my oilier summer skin takes to it. I took off a lippie b/c I still find the price offensive, but will purchase another full-size tube.

on 3/7/2014 8:36:00 AM

I used this product for about 7 years without any change in the formulation, but I switched to Urban Decay’s tinted moisturiser (in halo) for a while. I bought this again because the Urban Decay tinted moisturiser sadly isn’t available at my local Sephora anymore. When I applied it, I suddenly discovered that it now has glitter! And there was no warning on the package (e.g. labelling it illuminating or something), blech. It’s pretty subtle glitter, but it’s very… persistent – I found it really hard to get off my fingers, and it can be really obvious on my nose at certain angles. So not the look I’m going for! The nose glitter became less obvious after I blotted my nose a few times. I figured out how to minimise this – first I need to use 2 fingers to apply the moisturiser (rather than 3 or 4), make sure it doesn’t travel beyond my fingers, then clean my fingers with makeup-removing cleanser afterwards. So much less convenient than the Urban Decay.

This is pretty sheer, but with 2 layers my skin does look more even and clear. I tried wearing it over Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel moisturiser today, and my face felt super oily after a couple of hours, even though I’d spent the whole day indoors! (Again, Urban Decay’s TM didn’t have this effect when used with the Neutrogena water gel.) Perhaps this formulation is also more moisturising? I would recommend it to people with dry skin and who don’t mind glitter – they could probably layer it over a moisturiser without any feeling of greasiness. Perhaps I’ll try this as an illuminator.

I’m really peeved that the glitter-free version of this is no longer available, because the shade I use (tone) is a great match for my skin and the level of coverage suits my needs. So while I plan to use it up, I’ll repurchase the Urban Decay one on ebay (alas, it's discontinued!), which is also a good match colour-wise and has enough coverage for me, and felt much lighter on my skin. Oh and the Urban Decay TM is also paraben-free!