August 27, 2014 | 1631 users online

Moisturizers - Clarins - Vital Light Day

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by kateam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is really for Vital Light Day cream (illuminating) AND Vital Light Serum

I unintentionally found out that this moisturizer and serum really do lighten freckles and other dark spots on my skin! I'm always skeptical of skin care promises, but I've been getting comments from friends and family about how nice my skin looks.

As a gift I received a set of Clarins products, including a full-sized Vital Light Day cream and serum. After using it every morning for 2 months, I started noticing that my freckly, middle-aged skin looked more even in tone -- freckles and spots are lighter. I have oily but dehydrated skin, and I find Vital Light Day to be moisturizing but not shine-inducing. I have less shine with this than with most oil-free moisturizers. The fragrance is mild and fades away very quickly. It comes in a jar, which at least allows you to take just the very small amount that you need. I'd prefer a pump or a tube, but I think a jar is all they offer. The serum is in a pump bottle.

For this particular purchase, it's a set with 2 full-sized products that each retail for $88; the set cost $134.00 (There are other products in the set, but I don't use them.) Even this discounted price is very high -- I'm going to have to hope for generous birthday and holiday gifts from my mom if I'm going to keep using it. Fortunately, she uses Clarins skincare and has already managed to rationalize the expense. In 2 months of use, it looks like I've used up about 1/3 of the cream, so I could make it last for 6 months. Hmmm, at full price it would work out to $14.66 per month. I don't know how much serum is left because the bottle is opaque. (The serum has a retail price of $88, as well.)

Because I'm so sun-sensitive, I always use a strong sunscreen with any moisturizer -- so I don't have an opinion about the 15% SPF in this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by MissNostalgia

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

While this isn't bad, I can't say it's good either. My skin looks exactly the same several months after adopting it.

I like its texture, smell, colour, and how quickly it absorbs.
It's creamy and lush.
Just opening the jar feels nice.

But sadly it's costly, and ineffective. At no point have I seen any improvement in tone or skin texture.

Probably won't be repurchasing. Nothing personal, Clarins, I just wanted a little more from an expensive face cream from a company I adore.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by madaba

I love Clarins, but this is a lousy moisturizer. It might be good for someone with oily skin, since it seems to have a mattifying effect, but for normal or dry skin, forget it. An hour after I put it on, I already have that dry feeling. Best to stick with the more basic (and much cheaper) other lines from Clarins.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by alisonyu11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used the red Super Restorative last year with little/no issue. I switched to this cream in search for a slightly less expensive but still rich cream. I had a serious skin allergic reaction from this cream. Within 4 days (=4 applications), my cheeks were patchy red, my forehead started having red spots from reaction, the face overall became very dry instead of moisturized. I returned it to Shoppers Drug Mart by end of 4th day. They gave me some free samples from Biotherm to restore the moisture level of my skin. This was nice customer service.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 7:54:00 AM More reviews by mrsminniver

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

It is time to return the favor I owe to the ladies in this forum. Background to my ritual first. I have normal skin which tends to have blackheads and clogged pores if I am not vigilant about my products, am 47 years of age, brown spots - some from the sun and some which are the results from the occasional pimple due to hormones mainly at my age.
I also use Paula's choice (bha 2% in the morning, aha 8% in the evening and her antioxidant serum - the Skin Balancing formula for normal to combination) to tackle the pigmentation and acne on my skin. I also use clarins' vital light day and night cream along with their uv plus 40spf high protection everyday (even in the winter). I used to use their vital light serum till it finished and have not repurchased only because I am waiting to finish the rest of my creams (maybe I've 1 month's worth left).
My verdict is this: I think the above combination of paula's choice and clarins works quite well together because while the bha and aha kept my skin smooth from breakouts and lightened my pigmentation, the vital light range has been responsible for firming my skin. I also use clarins' phyto tenseur serum in the day as well, and am diligent about using the clarins method of application. I do believe that it is the vital light range that also contributed to the glow from my skin - I do not generally wear foundation except when I am out for the day and there is a sheen that is definitely not from oil because I do not possess oily skin. This sheen is apparent even through my foundation (I am using lingerie de peau from guerlain).
I am very pleased with the outcome and have started this program for a total of 3-4 months before I started seeing results. My skin was in a terrible state mainly from dense pigmentation on my cheeks, clogged pores and blackheads from using products without reading the ingredients. I cannot stress enough the importance of reading the ingredient list before investing in any product. Once I have finished my vital light creams, I am thinking of checking out their super restorative range not because I am displeased with vital light but I think my skin is becoming unpredictable - some days drier than others and super restorative is supposed to address that particular issue. I love that clarins has a range for any problem encountered as one ages. Love my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by lucyvanp

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Lovely consistency, lovely smell, ok moisturizer but absorbs slowly and just doesn't seem to make much if any difference to skin. Odd as I use the night version religiously and it is absolutely amazing.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2012 8:05:00 AM More reviews by allybonce

I came on this website because, having spent what I considered a lot of money on a cream, I was interested to see what others were experiencing. In the shop I was advised that I needed this cream rather than the one in the lovely red packaging (which I actually preferred) because, at 51, I have been through my menopause and this was apparently the right cream for me. However I am finding it is leaving my skin a bit sore, particularly around the neck area. I've used Clinique for years and wanted to change to something with a nice smell - and Clarins was perfect. A natural plant extract and a lovely delicate smell. I'm not sure if I can take it back, having already used it, so feel it's a big expense wasted, but I'm more interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem.

Incidently, in agreement with another review - I don't understand why most of these reviews are from 'young women' when this cream is specifically for those who have been through their menopause?

I'm really sorry I've had a bad experience because I really love the feel of the cream and the smell, and it is a perfect base under a tinted moisturiser which I use.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2012 9:28:00 AM More reviews by dhryan429

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I actually really enjoyed this cream. The texture and smell were both lovely and light. As far as efficacy, the small area of hyperpigmentation on my cheek was reduced. As far as wrinkle reduction goes, I credit my serums with that. As to packaging, I like jars over pumps, however as I near the end of the product the curvature of the jar made it hard to get the last remenants out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Ciciban

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I switched to this from Clarins 'Multi-Active Day' Early Wrinkle Correction Cream when I realized I should give my skin a little more SPF protection during the day. This is my first jar but I've been using it for the past month or so and I absolutely love it. It has a texture which absorbs quickly allowing me to apply my make-up without delay, caking or falling off my face half way though the day. As it is, I wake up with luminous skin from it nightly counterpart so my face it ready to instantly receive more goodness. I'm very happy with this product and will certainly repurchase again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 1:55:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was given this free from Elle Canada to blind test for their readers choice awards. I was given 7 moisturizers, each with the label completely covered, to use each for 1 week.
Not a bad cream. It absorbed nicely, left no greasy residue and didn't cause breakouts but for the price, I really saw no difference in my skin at all, I have had better luck with Olay regenerist products.