October 21, 2014 | 1237 users online

Masks - CVS - Purifying Mint Masque (Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque Knock Off)

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by OhTresChic

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this mint masque. I was looking for a dupe for LUSH's mint mask and the Queen Helen one around was raving about. I purchased this around winter last year and I use normally 1-2x a week, only half of the 8 oz tube is used up so far, definitely a great deal.
The scent is very soothing, not overwhelming in any way. As far as the product goes, I do love using this for absorbing my excess oil and clearing out my pores. Using a foundation brush with it makes it less messy during application, and a thin layer usually dries within 5-10 minutes.
As others have said, it does burn for the first 2 minutes when applying the mask but I think because after showering, the steam opens the pores up and the mint/sulfur/clay is purifying the skin-causing the redness. Personally, i don't mind the burning as much. I love seeing the excess oil when the mask dries because i know it's doing the job, and I follow with a hydrating sheet mask afterwards to retain my skin's moisture.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 12:27:00 AM More reviews by Keyra89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I been using this product sine I was in high school I'm 23 and still use it. Makes my face less oily for a few days . Cleans out a lot of my blackheads. I would recommend this to any one with excessive oily skin, it controls it so well.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2012 11:31:00 PM More reviews by aiyolily

HOLY COW IT BURNS! Now I definitely understand kissjacksparrow's experience. It began burning right when I applied it. I bought this because I couldn't find Queen Helene. I'm going to return this and run to Walgreens to buy Queen Helene.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2012 11:31:00 PM More reviews by babyhorse1993

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This stuff is awesome! It took redness out and made my skin so pretty! Only thing is that it dries my skin out. Moisturizer is A MUST

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Leahbug

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

This stuff is really good! It gently sucks out impurities and smooths and refreshes skin. It sounds gross, but I love how you can see the dark dots around your pores once it dries where it absorbed the oil- So satisfying, and you know it's working! Also, the sulfur in this reduces my redness like nobody's business, and I love how this has bentonite clay, that stuff is so powerful I heard they used it to clean up radiation after Chernobyl so just imagine what it's doing to the minor toxins in your skin if it can absorb that much radiation! I wouldn't use this on dry skin though, but for my acne prone, oily skin it's great. I'm almost done with my tube and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2011 5:44:00 PM More reviews by dakota2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Pros:
~minimized my pores
~smells great

Cons:
~dries very tight
~made me peel (in summer)

I purchased this in January and when I tried it, I loved it.
When I tried it in September, it made me peel and dried my skin out way too much.

I recommend this for the winter months, not for the hot summer months.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by worrypanda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went to Walmart looking for Queen Helene after reading rave reviews, but they didn't have any so I had to turn to CVS and found this. And even if it is a knock-off, I actually loved it! My pores are naturally large, but the masque makes them look much smaller and the effect lasts for a few days. I use it to spot-treat pimples, as it helps to pull out some of the oils inside and dry them out. It smells great and it feels great! I use it two or three times a week, but be careful not to use it too much as it can be drying. It's super cheap, and the tube is large and will last me a while. Definitely repurchasing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 6:56:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Loove this product. I used to love estee lauders so pore mask but it feels like its not working anymore. I actually wanted to get queen Helenes mint masque but I couldn't find it in my Longs, so I opted for this.

I frickin love it!! It smells so Minty and refreshing. Comes in a huge bottle. I apply this mask 1-2 times a week. I also use this to spot treat any pimples I have. Def reduces the size and redness. I had a huge zit on my forehead and I used this mask To spot treat every night. My pimple dried up in 3 days and I just peeled the dead skin away. Usually with my clearasil cream, it would take about a week.

Can't wait to try the queen mint masque but for now I'll stick with the cvs version. Def will repurchase! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by akmoore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I live in Canada and have no access to the QHMJ mask that all you ladies rave about. I was recently in Hawaii and decided to try and track down the stuff to no avail, but managed to find this instead. I don't have any personal experience with the Queen Helene's stuff, but the CVS brand has identical ingredients. I rather like it and will definitely repurchase on my next cross border trip. Tightens up my pores and leaves my skin feeling clean!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2011 6:18:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

Picked this up during Spring Break - I went on an all girls vacation with my sister and some friends, and we decided to do a spa day, so we went to the nearest CVS and picked up a bunch of stuff. My sister and I used to do the QHMJM with our mom as kids, but haven't seen it in any stores near me in a long time. We decided to try this instead.

One word of advice: DON'T!

It burned! None of us (5 girls) could keep it on out skin long enough to even let it dry and do it's thing. I just stung so bad! I usually can stand these kinds of things longer then my sister, but not this time. It was so uncomfortable and made my face very red.

The ingredients are the same, but for some reason, QHMJM never gave me this kind of reaction.... I have no idea what it could be. Perhaps it is the grade/source of the ingredients. And who even knows if the ingredients list is even accurate?

That being said, I would like to recommend the Aztec Secret Pure Bentonite Clay Mask instead (find it at Whole Foods or other health food store). I mix it with apple cider vinegar - it stinks like hell, but I get better results then any other mask I have tried EVER! And although it is uncomfortable while on, it doesn't irritate my skin at all. It is also super cheap - about $6 for a huge tub, and you can get way more masks out of it then you could with the QHMJM.

CVS MM ingredients: Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Glycerin, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Sulfur, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben.

QHMJ Ingredients: Water, Kaolin, Bentonite (CI 77004), Glycerin, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Sulfur, Chromium Oxide Green (CI#77288), Fragrance (Parfum), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No