July 31, 2014 | 937 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One-by-One, Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 10:50:00 AM More reviews by fierymermaid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm on my second tube now, after trying some other mascaras. I couldn't wait for them to run out so I could buy this again!

Some background: I have long, thick, quite curly lashes. In fact, the outer corners are too curly, and therefore escape most mascara brushes. I really need a brush that let's me grab ahold of the tops of those lashes and "straighten" them out. My goal is black, Kim Kardashian looking lashes.

So, now for the actual review: this mascara really succeeds with it's brush. No joke, this is the most perfect mascara wand I've ever come across. I really like silicone brushes, as I feel these have the potential to have their bristles be better and more purposely spaced, allow for more customized brush shapes than a traditional brush, and that just the right amount of flexibility can be a boon to application. The One by One brush nails each of these areas. The brush is tapered like a football, making it easy to use on inner lashes without smudging it everywhere (that's a tight area to work in!) and making it easy to catch my super-curly (seriously, they're practically just loops) outer lashes. Many brushes are so bizarre these days that you need a technique just to use them, but the One by One brush is totally user-friendly; you can do a quick coat and move on in life (or layer, as it layers quite well up to 3 coats).

As for the formula, I find it to be what one might call "decent." It doesn't flake or smudge; it holds the lashes' shape; it lengthens and volumizes. However, I wouldn't say it particularly excels in any of these areas. That's not a bad thing, though. "Jack of all trades, master of none" is usually a bad thing, but with mascara I think it's a strength. Most formulas only do one thing--ONLY lengthen, ONLY volumize, ONLY curl. One by One gives you all of them. However, if you specifically need one function, you may be better off looking elsewhere. I don't think you'll find a better brush, though...!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 1:42:00 AM More reviews by jadeseymour

I normally do not like maybelline mascaras because I find them to be heavy and l clumpy but I saw this on sale at my local Walmart and thought I'd give it a try and now I'm in LOVE . This mascara has eveything I want in a mascara . It makes my lashes look super long and voluminous plus it keeps a curl . I got this in blackest black and it is true to the name . My only complaint is that it isn't fully waterproof but that's ok with me . This mascara (as most water proof mascaras) is tough to get off but a cotton pad soaked in coconut oil does the trick . I love mascara on its own, but I love it with the l'oreal shocking extensions mascara in waterproof (this formula is fully waterproof ) . Paired together they create massive long ,false looking lashes without the bulk and clumps . Best part both the maybelline and l'oreal mascara are very build able . You can layer to your hearts content and best of all it's very cheap so you don't have to pay a fortune for HE mascaras that don't even live up to what this can do .

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by antiguru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finally! A positive mascara review. This is one I keep in my arsenal while I still look for my HG mascara. Maybe it is my HG mascara but I just won't accept the truth yet. I don't know This does keep a curl, at least longer than anything I've found so far. Not too hard to get off and if I have a problem, I just the Maybelline Express for waterproof makeup and that take care of the bugger. Does it hold my curl all day, even if I'm just sitting around eating bon bons? No. But it holds it longer or as long as anything else I've found. Will buy again unless HG shows its lousy self finally.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Acadine

This is my favorite waterproof mascara. It lengthens, thickens and darkens my short, straight Asian lashes incredibly well. It also holds a curl all day long until I remove it with Ponds at night. I lightly dust my undereye area with loose foundation powder before applying mascara, and so far have had no issues with flaking or smudging with the One-by-One.

This mascara is being DISCONTINUED. Stock up while you can. Alternatively, you can try the Maybelline Rocket waterproof mascara (requires more coats to achieve a similar effect; slightly different wand).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by hebamo

Despite the name, this mascara is NOT WATERPROOF. I wore this for only a few hours and had awful raccoon eyes as a result of this terrible formula. It also weighed my lashes down and could not hold a curl. Gave me spider lashes as well. I bought this based on the reviews here, but I no regret that decision. Total waste.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Doodleses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite type of lash look consists of lusciously long length, some volume (definitely not overpowering the length), and a formula that refuses to clump after layer and layer of mascara.
I'll be comparing this to Maybelline's Lash Stiletto because I only own these two mascaras.

-Neither mascaras can hold a curl.
-Lash Stiletto gets clumpy, and I usually spend extra minutes in the mirror "combing out" the clumps with a spooley or the mascara wand.
-One by One does NOT get clumpy, which I adore. And it really does separate and lengthen lashes!
-Lash Stiletto will give you a pregame version of spider lashes, One by One will not.
-This is a shot in the dark, but One by One definitely lengthened my lashes by ~2x!
-One by One looks more natural than Lash Stiletto; then again I have the ObO in a brown-black (it was the only available color) and Lash Stiletto in the blackest black.
-Despite having the brown-black shade, the mascara is dark and pitch-black - like it sucks up light instead of reflecting it.
-I have sensitive eyes, and even though ObO's brush is super chunky, it's a nice grade of silicone that's soft and non-threatening (have you ever put your mascara wand so close to your eye that you impulsively wince?! that's what I'm talking about).

What I love the most about the One by One is the lash separation! It looks much more natural than Lash Stiletto on.

I wasn't able to find this at my local Walmart or Target or any major drugstore except Walgreens and CVS (corner stores?) so I'm not sure if these are being discontinued??? On the Maybelline website, it says it's not getting discontinued but I'm seeing very limited stock where I live, and I live in a major city (Houston).

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2014 11:59:00 AM More reviews by Josefinegr

This mascara is an amazing mascara that gives you volume and a bit length! It is very waterproof but it kind off wipes off through the day. My brush cracked so I only had a half brush so I threw it away! I would not buy this again cause there are some other waterproof mascaras I love more like lorèal Paris volume million lashes waterproof.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2014 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Mamclean

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have been looking for a waterproof mascara to keep my straight short lashes curled. I was at the Rexall (canada) and maybelline mascaras were all on sale for $4.99! I never use waterproof mascara (don't know why just never thought of it!) But after seeing a tutorial where waterproof mascara came up for holding lash curls I'd thought I'd check it out. I bought this mascara based on the review here on MUA but I have to say i'm disappointed. Yes the mascara held up my curls, but that was all it did. No volume, no length and make my lashes stiff to touch. I had also bought "the falsies waterproof" at the same time and was much happier with that purchase. The one to one mascara did not smudge or transfer during my 12hr shift which was great but was very difficult to remove, lost some lashes in the process (and believe me I can't afford to lose lashes LOL)!! Will not be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 8:37:00 PM More reviews by esther22

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail mascara. I used to love the maybelline rocket volume express mascara, but I ran out and decided to try this one. It turned out that I actually liked it more than that one and that was a surprise considering the rocket volume express had been my all time favourite. It is so natural and clump free. No matter how many coats I apply, it is clump free. Also, it holds a curl wonderfully and it's volumizing and lengthening. It rarely smudges and it is extremely waterproof. If you are new to mascaras or you want a natural volumizing and lengthening mascara, I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by aliciabanwell

I use to LOVE this mascara when I wanted a more natural look! It does clump after multiple coats which is great! It doesn't give a lot of volume or a lot of length but a good amount for a more natural look!