October 24, 2014 | 1675 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

I completely agree with reviewer below, etain_anders. I have dark blonde hair and this highlighting spray is easily a HG item for me. I will be insanely upset if this ever gets discontinued and will probably hoard the stuff. I used to dye my hair but when I over processed it one time, I made the decision that I either quit dying or quit flat ironing because I didn't want both forms of damage, so I gave up on the dye. I needed something to brighten though because my natural colour was just drab so I gave this a try. As my old hair colour (lightened on top) was growing out, the greys showed and you could see the roots - yuck - but after using this for just a little while, they disappeared and it looked like I'd still been lightening it. It literally hid my greys and matched up to the previous lightened dyed hair. I have been using it now for probably 4 or 5 years now and there is no turning back!

I use it after each shower (once every 3 days) and only spray the root area - maybe 6 or 7 'spritzes', and that's it. I just blow dry the front face framing layers - because that's the most important part and with my fringe and waves, it just needs some coercing to look good, and I leave it to air dry. I don't have broken or fried hair and I don't saturate my whole head. It just looks naturally lightened on the top layers and the darker natural colour shows at the bottom so it looks dimensional. I've lost count on how many people have asked who does my hair and what I do and all I can do is leave John Frieda the credit.

It takes a few uses to see the results so don't give up after one or two uses, but suddenly you'll notice that your hair is lighter. On my natural shade, it works really well but I don't know how well it works on darker shades. The darker you hair, the more orange or red you're going to pull so if your hair is darker, test for a couple weeks in an inconspicuous area.

FWIW, I have tried just using 3% hydrogen peroxide but that did nothing. I generally find JF products to be prices for d/s so I tried to make my own, but I have to admit, this stuff is magic for me so I'm committed to keep buying it until there is no more left in the world. (I'll be fighting etain_anders for the last bottle, LOL! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2014 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Trishduplessis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hi, I have used this product off and on for years, loved it. Loved the blonde color I got from it. That is up until last year. It did the same thing to my hair that I have been reading about. My hair snapped at the top part of my hair, at my part, leaving me with two inch sections of hair. My hair went completely fuzzy, could not do anything with it, horrible. Only recently started getting it cut a bit as it was too short to cut. My bangs were, are like cotton candy. It has been almost a year of trying to repair the damage and nothing has worked. I did just recently find something that is making my hair once again amazing. I wanted to share as I feel like I have tried everything and nothin had worked so far. I am sure I have spent over 600 dollars on products. The one that is working is Goldwell, daily masque, it has keratin and silk, I believe. So far it is bringing my hair back to a healthy way. I have lived with ponytails for the past year, trying to save my hair from heat etc. I have had to use a straightner on my bangs to try to keep them down, low heat of course. I don't know if it will stop working eventually, but I thought I would try to help others with my problem.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Kayleen7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have a reddish-blondish hair color and I really liked the way it brightened and lightened my hair to make it more vibrant. However, it gave me a rash on the back of my neck so I won't be purchasing it again. I'm really disappointed because I thought it really was a great product and was just what I was looking for. I believe it consists of mostly hydrogen peroxide so it does tend to dry out your hair a bit.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 7:19:00 PM More reviews by etain_anders

I have fine, straight, dark blond hair--sort of dishwater blond. I've tried different dyes to lighten my hair with little to no results. This is the only thing that REALLY works. If you're a brunette I doubt this will do anything for you, but my fellow blondes who just want to go a few shades lighter and/or brighter, this stuff is MAGIC. I spray it on my towel-dried hair after a shower and then blow dry hot, and every time I do it get's a little blonder. It's now a lovely golden blonde, and I did this without harsh dyes that would fry my hair! In fact, I should probably ease off this stuff because I think I'm reaching maximum blondness.

I got the trial size free, bought my first full-size when that ran out, and just recently bought bottle number two. I would definitely stress that you should use after showering WITH HEAT and do so at least four times before you give up. I quit before because I didn't see immediate results (and I wasn't using a blow dryer). It was only after I started using it regularly and blow drying after that my hair started lightening. Really, if I ever hear of this being discontinued, I'll have to buy a dozen bottles and figure out how to freeze them or something. Nothing else works so well.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by LikeaBarbie

My hair is naturally blond however its this "average blond" everyone has. I like it to be lighter so after summer my ends usually get lighter, which looks bad in winter when my natural hair grows out. As I didnt want to die my hair I bought this John Frieda product and I LOVE IT! It changes my hair by three nuances. I usually put the product only into my roots and blow dry them. It says that the product works better under hot conditions. However the first time I used it my hair looked a bit ginger but firstly I dont mind it and second it might be due to my genes. Overall I've used it since three years and bought this summer my second bottle so it lasts pretty long. I think its a great alternative for hair colour.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2014 6:11:00 AM More reviews by Sarahk29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I first bought this spray a few years ago. I was a student and couldn't afford to have my hair highlighted regularly and so used it between visits to the hairdressers to disguise my roots. I have dark blonde hair and have been having highlights since I was a teenager and never experienced any problems colouring my hair, I was lucky to have very long thick healthy hair, WAS being the operative word. At first I loved the spray as it really did the job well. I didn't even have to use that much of it, just a few times on my roots every few months. However about a year later my hair suddenly, started to look extremely dry and straw like, I thought I had burnt it somehow, then it broke and fell out. This was in the places I had used it, along my parting and around my face- the worst most obvious places!! It is about 2 years since the last time I used the spray and my hair is still a lot thinner, very dry and brittle and short around the front (reaching to my chin as opposed to the rest of my hair which nearly reached my bum!) I have spent hundreds on expensive conditioning products, hair oils and masks and am only just starting to feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. THIS PRODUCT DESTROYED MY HAIR. I don't normally write reviews but I don't want other pimple to make the same mistake that I did! Do not buy it!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2014 4:33:00 PM More reviews by sjford

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Hi, I started using this product a year ago when my hair was dirty blonde and I wanted to go lighter. My hair has always been thick, down to my rib cage, and healthy. When I first started using this product I used it once every week and I loved how quickly I got results. At first it just gave me highlights and then my hair started turning red-ish. The color was really pretty but not what I wanted so I decided to keep on using the product. Eventually after 3 months of using it my hair turned a pretty golden blonde. I stopped using the product to lighten my hair around 6 months ago and now I just use it every 2 weeks to touch up the roots. I get compliments on my hair every where I go and I love the color.
I do NOT recommend using this product if your hair is already damaged or you've dyed it a lot in the past.
I also don't recommend using heat on your hair as often as you did before you started applying this product
My hair has definitely become a little damaged since I started using Go Blonder lightening spray but I keep it healthy by using shampoos and conditioners that repair breakage.
If you do a hair mask every month and use plenty of natural oils your hair will stay healthy and beautiful!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by JamieRayn

Okay… So I've been using this product and till now I've been quite happy with it. I have naturally dark blonde hair that has pretty highlights in the sunlight but i wanted it a bit lighter. NOT a platinum blonde but a medium gold blonde. So I've been using this every other week or so and blow drying it. No dramatic lightening effect and afterwards friends have always told me that my hair smells nice. So Positive i guess…

So just out of interest i looked it up here today. And I saw all of the damn bad reviews here. And now I'm worried. Like REALLY REALLY REALLY worried. You see, i live in germany and next year I'm going to California for an exchange year and I'm pretty excited. Now I'm really worried that by the time I'm there my hair will look like SHIT!

So many of you have been writing that their hair fell out… And now that i think about it mine might have been too. I've noticed it sure but i thought that it was due to the fact that i lack iron in my blood. Well, MAYBE ITS BECAUSE OF THIS SHITTY PRODUCT. Also my hair used to be glossy and wavy and people always told me how pretty and thick my hair was… Now i don't know if I'm imagining it or if my hair's getting thinner. I will start taking iron pills again and throw the damn thing in the garbage. Wait, let me get up right now and do it.

Ok so its in the garbage now. NEVER EVER EVER gonna color my hair again… Except with chamomile tea or something.

So please trust everyone here and don't ever ever even look at it in the shop!

Emma <3

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2014 4:26:00 AM More reviews by imme101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This. Product. Is. Terrible.
Do not buy!!!
So last year i desperately wanted to die my hair a lighter blonde as my blonde hair was starting to go brown however my mum insisted that i didn't. She then bought me this spray in December for my birthday to help lighten my hair instead of dying it. It gradually became lighter and lighter and i could see the results so i was very excited! I used it every time i washed my hair for the whole summer holidays, totally in love with the product. At this time, the last time i had gotten my hair cut was eight months ago and it was fine without any split ends up until that point. My hair suddenly became dry and brittle and i lost my beautiful shiny waves which instead became limp and frizzy. I then reluctantly got it cut (i lost three inches - my hair went from a couple of inches above my butt then instead to just above my boobs). I told myself i would never use that disgusting spray again...until i suddenly got terrible dark blonde regrowth. I then had to continue to use it which caused my hair to die further. At this point my hair was so short and frizzy i had to straighten it every day - of course leading to further damage! It has now been two months since i got my hair cut and i am going to have to get about another inch taken off. I am so furious. My hair went from being long, soft, wavy and gorgeous to being dry, limp, frizzy and a weird blonde with terrible regrowth. No matter what hair masks or treatments i use, my hair is dead. DO NOT BUY EVER.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2014 2:48:00 AM More reviews by mariaa13

i honestly LOVE this stuff. it makes my hair so much lighter and its so easy to use all i really have to do is remember to spray it in my hair after i wash it and then iron my hair as usual. also i dont know if its just me but i feel like after i use this my hair looks a bit shinier ¿ it is pretty drying but not as much as other lightening sprays i have used. overall i absolutely love this and will continue to buy it until i no longer want light hair :)