April 24, 2014 | 1918 users online

Cleansers - Calming Zinc Bar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 7:38:00 AM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like others here, I found out about this soap on Dr. Bailey's blog. I have always had dry skin but recently my t-zone had been much oilier but still very flaky - my nose was BAD. I heaped on thick creams but I was getting flakier. I knew something wasn't right. I did some investigating and read about SD and everything matched up for me. I have battled dandruff in my hair for years. I tried OTC cortisone but that didn't help much so I ordered this soap (the name brand is Noble Calming Zinc Bar) from Amazon (cheaper than Dr. B's website when you factor in shipping). I also bought a facial brush (I read on excema.com a study in which compared SD's sufferers using a Clairsonic to ones that didn't - the group that used a Clairsonic had a graeter reduction in symptoms when used with a medicated soap over those that just used medicated soap). I think Clairsonic is waaaaay overpriced so I opted for a manual facial brush that I got at Sally's.

In just over a week, my face is dramatically better. Almost all flakiness is gone. My case was mild though - I had flaked but not much redness. My makeup looks 100x better especially on my nose where I was having the worst trouble. I am so thankful I found this soap. It says it has olive and emu oil. It is quite moisturizing for a soap. It is very calming as name implies. Fragrance free.

My only "knock" is that I think the oatmeal flakes are unnecessary - very inflamed skin does not need that manual exfoliation and might find it irritating. I haven't had a problem with it though.

It is expensive - $10-$12 for 1 bar of soap, but think of all the name brand facial cleansers that aren't medicated what they cost. And for me, it worked GREAT so I can't complain about the price. I've read other reviews that say the soap is very soft and dissolves fast. I keep mine in a soap dish outside my shower and make sure water doesn't collect in the bottom of the dish.

I am somewhat cautious though. Keeping dandruff/SD at bay is tricky. I know from my hair dandruff that I have to alternate different medicated shampoos - zinc py. (Head and Shoulders) will work for a while but then it will decrease effectiveness and I have to switch to a salycitic acid based shampoo. That will work great for a while then I have to switch to tar based, etc. So this may decrease effectiveness after longer use but that isn't the soap's fault - that's the nature of the problem IME.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2012 10:32:00 AM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I read Dr. Bailey's blog and thought this might help what I suspected was a yeast or fungal problem with my skin. Let me start by saying I have oily skin that is not breakout prone. I had a couple of questions about this soap and another product and called the number on the website. I left a message, which was never returned. I emailed them and never got a response. So, i proceeded with just ordering the bar of soap. I do not recommend this soap for anyone with combo or oily skin. This soap made my skin a huge mess. It cleans well, but leaves a weird waxy-feeling film behind. Note that this soap contains olive oil and shea butter. One of these is probably the culprit for me. This soap was very expensive with the shipping, and it ended up in the trash. Total flop!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Madwilso

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I always thought that I had incurably dry skin in my T-Zone (between eyebrows, my nostril creases, my chin crease and also a spot on my temples), because no matter how much lotion/cream/oils I slathered on it was always flaky! But my skin felt oily underneath and make up looked gross. I read about seborrheic dermatitis on Dr. Bailey's blog (there's lots of great information on there) and purchased this cleanser to try. It was $10 and will last years (that's why I rated it as dirt cheap) and it's a bar (I can't see how packaging can get any simpler). Within two uses, my flakes were minimized and now after weeks of use (once in the morning), totally gone! I can't recommend this enough if you think you might have the seborrheic dermatitis or if you've been diagnosed by a derm.
I know that a lot of people tsk tsk bar soaps, but I find this one to be generally un-offensive as far as drying or clogging.
I think that I'm going to see if I can use it only a couple times a week and still reap the benefits, I want to add in a glycolic cleanser into my routine is why.
The only drawback is that the bar itself is $10, but the shipping is $9 when the order total is under $75.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2011 12:03:00 AM More reviews by googler123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this soap from Dr. Cynthia Bailey's website to address my flaky scaly skin. It contains 2% pyrithione zinc, which is supposed to address dandruff and seborrehic dermatitis. This soap is extremely drying, but when used in moderation seems very effective at getting rid of scaliness.