September 2, 2014 | 1981 users online

Top/Base Coats - E.L.F. - Matte Finisher

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2014 6:03:00 PM More reviews by Myrnaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This matte top coat is okay it gives you the matte look however it does not last for long on me it lasted 3 days max and then i had to reapply which is expected with matte top coats they do become more shiny with time. However taking it off is what made me give it a bad rating, it becomes like the hardest rubber on your nails when you try to take it off with polish remover it took me hours to take it off so i ended up peeling it off my nails lol, I haven't had this problem with the other drugstore matte top coats i have used. Anyways it's not worth the effort for just a couple days of matte-ness, shiny nails are still prettier.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2013 10:31:00 PM More reviews by LilyLC

I'm confused, why does this have such high rating?

Ok, honest review: not worth the money.
I got it couple of month ago and it was my first matt top coat I ever bought. I was never quite sure if that was supposed to look like that, but after trying it several times more I can honestly say it's horrible.
All the cons:
- it's streaky, even when I tried to apply it very carefully it tended to create streaks.
- not matt, it had really no matt finish at all! I could have lived with all the other things if it at least were matt, but not at all. Actually, if you rubbed your finger over the nail a couple of time, it turned again shiny like it was before applying the top coat
- it had a horrible strong smell!

If you're looking for cheap and great matt top coats, I really recommend the essence or catrice one! I have the essence one and my nails look like pure porcelain (and cost me only 0,99EUR) :)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2013 7:00:00 AM More reviews by kmrc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolute horrible!
WIll not buy again. It's streaky, chalky looks horrible and crackles.

This goes in the bin. Luckyli it was very cheap.

will try Essies instead.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 10:51:00 PM More reviews by nxcw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a disappointment! After reading all the good reviews I joined their notification when this top coat restocks, and I bought it immediately when they did. I guess they changed the formula or something, because now it just crackles when it dries (like crackle polish does). That was not what I wanted.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Vadzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Been looking for a matte topcoat for a while and didn't want to spend 7 on the Essie one in case I didn't like it, Saw the elf one and purchased it for 1.50 just to try out the matte look. I love this so much! It works so well! Theres no reason for me to even buy the Essie one now because this is so good, will repurchase when I run out. Everyone should buy it just to try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Willow92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! At first I wasn't entirely convinced about the matte look so I bought this as a cheap way of trying it out. I do love glossy nail varnish but some shades can look better in matte. This stuff is a great consistency, goes on smoothly and dries super quick. It doesn't alter the colour of your nail varnish when you paint it on (unless you put on a really thick coat of it) and is really cheap at 1.50.

I wasn't too impressed with my bottle when I first got it though, it looked like part of the inside of the lid had been shaved off and the little bits ended up in my bottle. This hasn't affected it in any way, it's just a bit annoying. I would buy this again though :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2012 7:42:00 AM More reviews by x0livia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this product, cost only 1.50 and it does exactly what you want it to do.
After applying a base coat, and two coats of a nail polish, you just apply it on top and watch it turn your nails matte. It dries pretty quickly and works just as well as high end brand ones i have tried in the past.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:43:00 PM More reviews by gracescarlett16

Absolutely love this product! I put it on my nails when they are semi dry and it dries instantly speeding up the whole "waiting around for your nails to dry" which is a great benefit.
It looks great and creates a unique look. It is also good to put over glitter based nail varnishes, it makes them look more grown up as some glitter polishes do tend to look 'childish'.
Im hooked and would defiantly buy again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2012 2:17:00 PM More reviews by ChloeIsAZombie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this polish! It gives such a nice unique finish. When my nails are semi dry, I put this on top and my whole nail takes about 10 seconds to dry. It's amazing, I will definitely repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by takemenow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great matte top coat. But I have found a much better use for it.
I use this as a base coat to "grip" the nail polish and it makes my manicures wear like iron. If you have this, or any matte top coat, I encourage you to give it a try as a base coat. Don't forget to wrap your tips for extra long wear!