John Frieda Precision Foam Color

3.3

on 5/12/2015 4:52:00 PM

PROS:
Easy to mix the two components as they're both liquid, no toothpaste-type tube to squeeze out
Easy to apply, texture not too thick or thin
Applies to dry, not wet, hair
It doesn't fry hair
The gloves are good
Often half price at boots or superdrug
Doesn't permanently stain everything in your bathroom
CONS:
You won't get a very noticeable change of colour on dark hair
Grey coverage doesn't last as long as, say, nutrisse
You need to really massage it in to get enough colour to the "under" hair
Too expensive at full price
Overall - this has become my go-to colour as it's easy to mix and apply, so colouring my hair isn't as traumatic as it used to be.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I've used this twice. The first time, it was fine, and I liked the foam application method. I watched a video about how to gentle tilt the bottle five times to create the foam, and all about keeping that bottle upright. I used 3RV, which initially turned my (red-dyed over bleach blonde) hair jet black and then, after about a month, it started to fade to a sort of dusty rose. Not attractive at all. I decided maybe the color needed to build up and gave it a second chance, but the second time, despite the five careful tilts and video, I could not get it to foam. Nevertheless, I tried to dye it with the liquid, and the color did not even change. It was beyond bizarre. I paid $15 USD for this? I've been dying my hair for 25 years, generally every 2-3 weeks at that, and so, yeah, I wasn't impressed since other than dye that turns your hair green or whatever, I can't think of a weirder experience than dye that doesn't dye at all and also, that won't do what it's supposed to. Ridiculous. I unrecommend it. The color also faded badly and looked terrible. Oh, and it bled pink in the shower the first time. Almost forgot about that.

on 4/22/2015 7:06:00 AM

I hate it. I bought 6R (light reddish brown) and used it on my (short) dark blonde hair. The packaging was pretentious and smelled like cheap perfume, the foam was awkward and the results uneven and dull. I was expecting a gorgeous shade of auburn, i got a dull "old lady" reddish blah brown. I used it EXACTLY as directed and it "took" well in some places and not at all in others.....I don't understand what happened. I have been dying my hair for the past 15 years and i never had such a bad experience. I don't even know what's going to happen after a couple of washes but i'm scared. I think i will buy color oops and go back to Garnier or l'Oreal, at least i know what to expect. Very disappointed.

on 4/1/2015 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have deep dark brown hair that I highlighted purple two years ago. Of course it faded fast and left behind these awful blonde patches that I hate. After going to a salon and achieving a gorgeous all over color of a dark brown with super bright red undertones to cover the blonde parts I didn't have the money to upkeep it. I found this at my local walmart in dark red brown which sounded exactly like what I had at the salon. My younger sister was nice enough to color my hair for me & one bottle was enough foam to cover my really long almost butt length hair. The color payoff was not as red as I had anticipated but it did tint the blonde somewhat red while giving the rest of my hair a nice auburn sheen to it especially in sunlight. While I love the formula of this hair color I will probably buy this shade again and then a very bright red to mix into it that way I can still keep the brunette but just add a lot more red in it. The foam was less time consuming than the liquids I see my mother use on herself & my sister didn't have too hard of a time covering every strand.

on 3/17/2015 2:05:00 PM

Hi Ladies...Well I color my hair at home and have tried probably a zillion products. This one I will say is a bit different. And in a good way! The foam was so easy to apply. I will admit it seemed a little "dry" at first with the foam just dissolving, but as the application went along I was impressed. It had no strong smell, and when it came to the rinse it was not that bad. Lets be honesty there is no home hair dye that gets to run crystal clear right away. But this one did seem a little faster on getting off the hair. I would highly recommend this for home use. It never made a mess and was so very easy to control during the application As for the shine it is there. Granted I color my hair jet black, so I got the darkness I wanted. I will now find out in the next week how it holds on to the greys. I will keep you posted.

on 3/12/2015 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Normally I get my hair coloured in a salon but recently I got my hair dyed a red / brown colour but my roots were starting to peek through after a month. Not having time to go to the salon and spend 3 hours never mind lots of money, I picked up this home dye kit. The dye was easy to mix and the foam texture meant it didn't drip everywhere. My hair felt instantly nourished and in better condition than before I coloured it. I chose the colour 6N, which was a light brown and the neutral has neutralized the red tones in my hair, however if you are looking for more of a difference you might want to go for an ash shade. I would also recommend going a shade lighter as brown hair dyes often turn out very dark, at least on me! The only downside for me was the price, at 9.99 it is more expensive than most home hair dyes and the conditioner than came with it didn't seem any more moisturizing than a regular conditioner so I used a nourishing hair mask instead. A good product but I'll probably still get my hair coloured professionally as I enjoy the experience.

So far, this is my favorite drugstore hair color. The application is easy and not as messy as liquid or gel color. The gloves are quite good quality. Covers grey, nice shiny color. The only downside is the conditioner. It's nourishing and all, but I don't think it adds any color protection and it gave me some bacne and hairline pimples (along the nape of the neck). Not cute. Find another conditioner.

on 12/14/2014 11:38:00 PM

I've been dying my hair since I was a freshman in highschool. It was almost always in a salon and have been every natural color there is. I used 5G medium golden brown and I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! No patchy spots, no tangles, and no hair loss. The color payoff was true to the swatch and application was a breeze! For the women complaining about the color turnout using the blonde shades, everyone needs to remember that when attempting to go lighter, you'll more than likely need bleach not hair color. Also, if you have even a slight red tone to your hair, peroxide WILL pull this to the surface, so use a toner! Regardless of the shade, hair color *deposites* color, bleach lifts and lightens. So it isn't that this product is bad, its just that these women are using the wrong product for what they are trying to accomplish. I will be repurchasing this again. I gave it 4 lippies because there isn't a dark golden brown (what I really wanted) available.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a review of 5N, Medium Natural Brown. I've used this product twice now and I am a fan. As someone who's colored my hair since around age 13 and used every product known to womankind (as well as many years of salon coloring), I consider this a solid product in terms of the quality of the color it gives, ease of use, how gentle it is on hair, and how long the color lasts.

I should note that I was intrigued by the foam color products that started coming out earlier this year (or that was the first I heard of them) and first tried the Preference foam which I *hated*. It left my hair dry and damaged, I didn't like the color and I generally was left feeling it was no improvement over traditional color product.

My hair is naturally a medium-dark brunette. While I have in the past colored it every other color imaginable, I now use color primarily to add dimensionality and richness to my natural shade (which is a bit mousy/flat) and to cover grays (I probably am about 2% gray at this point but getting to be more and more).

I purchased the Frieda foam with middling expectations. However, the first time I used it I was pretty pleased right away. Unlike others who seem to find it extra-messy and extra-runny, I have not found that. To me, it is about as messy as traditional hair color products. It is fairly easy to apply and evenly cover your hair with the foam. I have extremely curly, thick hair that is past my shoulders and have not needed to use more than one box of color. It's also unusually easy to rinse the color out in the shower when time is up. (I leave it in for 20 minutes after finishing application, per instructions for especially thick/coarse hair with some grays.)

As far as the included conditioner, it is OK but nothing special. But, having especially thick, tangly and dry hair, I have specific conditioner needs and I don't typically expect out-of-the-box conditioners to suffice. Nonetheless, when I am done with the Frieda foam product including the conditioner, my hair is in pretty good shape -- not overly dry or damaged.

The thing I like the most about this color is that it gives real depth, dimensionality and shine to my hair. The color is extremely natural-looking as well. My HG color today is a rich, chocolate brunette and this gets me very close. It is sort of a "my hair but better" effect. And for me, it successfully covers grays. The color fades very gradually, and after my first use of this product, it took several months before I started noticing that I should probably color again. It also did NOT go brassy on me, which is something almost every dark brown eventually does, and which I hate!

The one thing I find odd about this product is how the instructions tell you that your head should be covered with foam following application. They show pictures of a model covered with a thick white head of foam and specifically say that your hair should look as foamy as the picture. This not only doesn't happen in my experience, but I don't even see how it would be possible, since the foam dissipates once you work it into your hair. You can coat your hair with an immense amount of product, but it just looks wet and covered with color -- not foamy. This has not stopped me from getting great results, so especially the second time, I just didn't worry about it. But it's weird how specific they are about this in the directions.

Overall, I give this product an A, both because I genuinely like the results and because it saves me the time and $$$ of a salon visit. Definitely recommend.

on 11/16/2014 12:21:00 AM

The first time I dyed my hair was over the summer, and I went to a salon for it because I did not trust myself with it. I got highlights, and it ended up not how I wanted; it wasn't too bad, but after a few months I was tired of the light brown highlights in my dark brown hair, so I decided to take a chance and dye my hair at home. I chose this foam color because I thought it would be easiest for me to use. I got the color Dark Red Brown. I bought two boxes because my hair is pretty long, almost mid back. Following the instructions, I fairly easily dyed my hair, although I did make a mess and was worries the whole time my hair would come out splotchy and dull. However, when my hair dried after washing the dye out, it turned out a beautifully rich dark brown color with a nice red tint. It also left my hair very soft and shiny, nicer than it had been in months. The color is extremely even and I had no trouble with undyed spots or patches. I dyed my hair mid November and it is now mid December, and the color has held nicely. The where I had highlights before are now more of a light reddish brown color, but it looks nice. I'd figure I should redye my hair in early January, but I could easily wait until February if I wanted to. Overall I would definitely recommend this product to anyone, but especially beginners.

Popular Hair Color Products