April 18, 2014 | 1360 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - Precision Foam Color

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by myaminou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair color is medium brown (level 4) and I have lot of gray hair. I usually have my hair dyed professionally but I needed to save money. I used medium brown neutral. The color looked good and shiny the first day only. After a couple of shampoos, the gray started to show. Now (two weeks later) the color is dull and my hair are very dry (and I alway use professional shampoo and Morrocano oil). I have an extensive experience with hair color and I must say that I am not very happy with this one. I will not use it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2014 6:32:00 AM More reviews by gmmace80

I love the idea of the foam application, but this hair color was a disappointment for me. I have very healthy, straight Asian hair with some grey. The consistency of the foam was too light to saturate my roots fully enough to cover the grey. And I used the conditioner that came with the color, but after my hair was dry the ends felt really fried. Thankfully after the next shampoo with my regular products, my hair felt back to normal but I wouldn't use this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 8:23:00 AM More reviews by Kakibot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so used to using this foam that I am almost scared to go back to classic hair color products - it's just so comfortable and easy to work with! Unfortunately the color shades take a bit of experimenting before you find the one that fits your needs because the pictures on the boxes are rarely what you'll find on your head after application. Most of them run a lot darker than you'd expect but generally take a couple of washes to get to the shade you wanted in the start, so don't worry too much about this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by helenweaver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been checking mua for product reviews for years and this is the first time I'm actually writing one because this product is awesome and does not deserve the bad reviews it has.

I used Dark Cool Espresso Brown 4PBN to cover a bad dye job from Garnier Nutrisse (which has excellent reviews I think also undeserved.)

The foam was very easy to apply and I have thick long hair (to mid back) and there was more than enough product. The packaging, gloves, and conditioner are all excellent. The color is even and rich, looks like I went to a salon. Even though I just colored my hair with Garnier (terrible fake looking color) and this is my second home dye job in a week, my hair looks shiny and healthy.

This is a higher end product than Garnier Nutrisse with a great price for what you are getting. I highly recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by HGL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

In my quest to find a nontoxic hair colouring product, I purchased this in 6.5PBN Lightest Cool Almond Brown, which looks like it will be a gorgeous color, to cover gray. I had tried henna awhile back, which nearly destroyed my hair (talk about straw!) and didn't cover the (minimal) gray I had at the time and since this is PPD-free, I bought a box. A heads up, though, I learned 2 things that other girls looking for nontoxic hair color might want to know - first, this product contains sulfites, which some people are allergic to (hence the warning labels on foods that contain them as they are a common migraine and anaphylaxis trigger in susceptible individuals) and second, it contains toluene-2,5 diamine sulfate which, I recently learned upon reading up a bit more, many people who react to PPD also react to. Apparently, it can be abbreviated PTDS or TDS. Apparently 57% of people who react to PPD can tolerate TDS, but that leaves a good percentage of people who do not. I am not allergic to PPD but simply choose not to use it.

I decided to do a little more research and found a few brands that contain no TDS, no PPD, and no sulfites. As much as I want to dye my hair with this today, I have decided I will hold off and just go ahead and get one that does not have the sulfites and TDS. Hope this helps someone who is on the same quest for a nontoxic hair product.

BTW, I was shocked when I read labels at Whole Foods that "organic" and "natural" are completely unrelated to whether a product contains these ingredients. What a racket!

My rating is for the ingredients only (especially the sulfites, totally unnecessary), as I have decided not to use it now that I see the complete list of what is in it. Hope this helps someone avoid the same mistake I made when I purchased it.

If you do decide to purchase this, John Frieda has excellent detailed videos on their website about application that I highly recommend. They also have some color selection tools which confirmed my intuitive color selection for gray coverage. I have read variable review results from this product - I suspect following their video instructions to the letter would improve color outcomes. Worth taking the time to watch (they are short).

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 8:18:00 AM More reviews by PinkPuma

This is for Luminous natural black
It's super easy to use. No messy drips on the bathroom sink, floor or shower. It doesn't have that overpowering smell most dyes have. I love the smell of the conditioner too. I can't speak much for the color since it's pretty close to my hair color and I just wanted a touch up to not look so mousey. However when I washed it out it seemed like a lot of my hair washed down the drain with it. That may have my fault for not brushing before I used it tho. And when it dried it seemed to kind of frizz my hair out. But it seems fine now. I would probably buy this again because it's so easy and virtually mess free

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Squirrell2040

I have light/med. blonde hair, I wanted to change it up a little bit, so I tried the med. blonde 8N. I compared the color to my color and it would just change the tone of it. Well, it is a light mousy brown. There is no hint of my blonde hair anywhere. I strongly recommend that you do NOT use this color, unless you want to have dull, lifeless, monotone and extremely wrong hair color. This is the WORST HAIR COLOR I have ever used!!!
DO NOT USE this hair color, unless you really like un pleasant surprises.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2014 4:25:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the hair color I love to hate. I have used this stuff many many times and it always leaves a little to be desired. My main reason for continuing to purchase is because it is just so easy to use. My hair is bra strap length thick and wavy and I am able to saturate all my hair very quickly and easily with the foam. The inital results are always great, I use color 3VR, and my hair looks shiny, heathy and the color is beautiful. Then the fading begins. And it fades FAST, within 2 weeks you'd never guess I'd colored my hair. Every single shampoo sends tons of color down the drain. Very depressing. But, against my better judgement, I will probably continue to buy this simply because it is so easy to apply.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by marubatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just dyed my hair in natural light brown 6N yesterday and I would say aside from the expensive price sticker, it is the best hair dye I have tried. I never got good result from home coloring and it is the first time I can dye my hair by myself and my hair turned out so even that you could mistake it for a salon work. I had ombre light brown hair before and decided to get rid of my burnt looking ends. For my medium long hair ( it is at half of my back ), I have to use 2 boxes to cover all my hair. Just remember you would need to work the foam into your hair and massaging it for a good 20 minute.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Dianaphamfatale

Wow. I don't know why this is getting bad reviews - personally it works great, probably the best I've tried. I have very thick long dark brown hair and I used 7N to make it lighter, and it totally worked better than expected. The product is quite nice smelling - I find the others like Loreal or Garnier to be so overpowering. The product is foamy, which is nice and it's so easy to apply. It's seriously minimum mess, which is so different to the other dyes I use.

And the conditioner smells soooo amazing.

It's really worth giving a try, I'm certainly glad I did.