December 20, 2014 | 847 users online

Lipstick - Illamasqua - Atomic

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I’m growing to really love Illamasqua lipsticks, and colors like Atomic are a big reason why!

I loved bright lips even when bright lips weren’t “cool,” and unless you feel the same, Atomic may not be the best choice for you. Illamasqua describes Atomic’s color as “Fuchsia violet,” and I find that to be a fairly accurate description. On NW15 me, Atomic is a deep but bright (if that makes any sense!) magenta, with just a trace of bluish sheen.

Here’s a very thorough review of Atomic, complete with color-true photos:

I don’t know of any exact dupes for this shade, though Bobbi Brown Rose Blossom and Stila Intriguing might be somewhat similar.

As others have stated, the texture of Atomic is fairly dry, and that seems to be characteristic of Illamasqua lipsticks. This means that most may need or want a little balm underneath, but the drier texture also translates to tenacious wear.

I like either colorless or magenta liner with Atomic – if you’re going to wear a color this bold, you don’t want it to look “smeary.”

I’d *definitely buy Atomic again. In fact, I already own five Illamasqua lipsticks, and am eying more! Illamasqua, which is a cruelty-free company, is fast supplanting MAC in my heart.

They’re pricey, at around $24 each, and most people will need to order them online, but to me, it’s totally worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 11:37:00 AM More reviews by jadorelechoc

I love this lipstick! The colour is to die for, gives Mac's Girl About Town (or any other Mac lipstick for that matter) a run for its money. The texture is wonderful, on the drier side but wears very comfortably on the lips however. It lasts very very well on the lips, too. I get a minimum of 5-6 hours of wear with this one before it starts to fade out.
I always use a nude hydrating lip pencil underneath, to fill my lips in. If I feel my lips have got a bit dry while wearing it, I add a light coat of the Korres lip butter in Plum on top and get on with my day.
I find the Illamasqua lipstick packaging a little unnecessarily bulky and thick, but not unattractive. I love that it is black and sleek and I love the brand's logo on it.
All in all, this would be a definite repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 5:41:00 PM More reviews by kabukiKILLER

The tube is cute, but not all that functional. This lipstick, however, is a star! It's dry enough to be opaque and long lasting, but doesn't dry out my lips too bad (I usually wear lip balm when not wearing lipstick). It's also great for most skin tones. It's a medium, intense fuchsia color, but has red tones in it, making it compatible for warm skin. I also like that it's a little shiny, but not overly metallic like a lot of other frosty lipsticks.

Atomic is slightly redder and has more sheen than Girl About Town (MAC). It's warmer than Snow Orchid (MAC) and less frosty or more matte. Many hot pinks have a blue-ish frost (unless matte or cream). This one has less frost and it's redder.

The only downside is that it's expensive, but well worth it if you're looking for that one perfect "hot pink" that won't remind you of a those drag queens you see clubbing in LA.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/29/2012 11:58:00 AM More reviews by vwbenzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It’s a shame, because I really like Illamasqua lipsticks. They’re so rich and pigmented, long wearing and true to color without any overpowering scent. But this one just looked awful on my NC35 face, maybe not at first, but as it started to wear off. The unnatural blue base cracks to show my natural lip color underneath, or an awful ring around the outer corners…not a good look. I had to rate this poorly as it caused me actual embarrassment. I love Illamasqua but I'm sorry to say this product had to be returned, I exchanged it for Corrupt, a gorgeous perfect pink!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by bmira

I love love love this lipstick. That's saying a lot as I am not a lipstick type of girl. The color is magnificent and full-force, no sheer whimpy coloring here. The texture IS a bit drying, especially as my lips are in poor shape at the moment but some lip balm under the lipstick and some gloss on the top make it better. This may not be an every-day look but I'm going to try to work it in at least once every couple of weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2011 4:36:00 PM More reviews by rawcus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This hit the UK shores 2 days ago, and I headed straight to Selfridges. I'd seen it online, in all its powerful magenta glory, ad wanted to see if it lived up to what was in my head.
It did. Illamasqua always does.
Be warned. It's bright. It's unapologetic. But man, does it look good. It's a similar texture to Box, slightly slightly drying but lasts for ever, glides on smooth, and such colour payoff. It's a dark pinky purple. Like the evil side of pink. I have pale skin and blue eyes and with a dewy foundation and a smidgen of brown eyeliner and mascara this lipstick looks incredible and does amazing things to my eyes.
I use Vow nude liner around my lips to stop it bleeding but I'm pretty sure it would stay on fine without.

Yes I'd buy again but it's not an every-day colour so not sure I'd ever use it up. I wore it today to a wedding with a bright blue dress and got loads of compliments.