September 17, 2014 | 1998 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expert Wear Eyeshadow Quad - Designer Chocolates

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by msbluestone13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this eye shadow quad!! I usually don't use much eyrshadow.. I love mascara.. but as a mom and wife--i don't have much time to doll up..play with eye shadows and blushes anymore.. I keep it simple--foundation..mascara.. light dusting of powder and I'm done. BUT THIS.. THIS makes it super simple..it has all the shades I need in a tidy little compact. I LOVE these colors!!..I will definitely be buying this again and again. The colors look fantastic against my skin color--for reference: I use Golden Carmel in Revlon colorstay.. and in MUFE mat velvet+ I am a #60, in Kat Con D lock it tattoo foundation I am Medium 57-- anyway..so it really goes with my skin color.. I love this eye shadow.. it also doesn't crease or wearoff at all. It lasts all day/night and one comoacompact lasts me for A long time.. I would definitely recommend you buying and trying this.. u may love it!! And try to get this from Walmart or target as they will take returns without a receipt as long as you have a state ID or drivers license.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by tango2470

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Here is my thoughts on this quad:

1. lets break it down:
lid: a soft beige/neutral color-this shadow was relatively disapointing, it has very little pigmentation, however it isn't chalky or powdery so it is easy to apply. It is somewhere in between a matte and satin finish

2.The "highlight" shade is a very wearable off white cream color with very little pigmentation, once again I like the silky texture and I don't mind highlight shadows having a little less pigmentation as I prefer a more natural highlight, I also like that it doesn't contain sparkle, its somewhat of a satin finish

3. I would buy this quad for the "crease" shade alone, this is a gorgeous, hard to find, hard to describe shadow, it kind of reminds me of a jewel, it is somewhere between a soft burgundy, mauve, and rose, it also contains a gorgeous light reflecting shimmer (rather than tacky glitter) It is quite pigmented, and despite the fact that it contains a fair amount of pink, looks good on almost everyone (i know who have tried it)

4. I like the color of the liner shade-its a warm hot chocolate brown, not too red, but not too grey, it contains a bit of red glitter that doesn't show up much on the lid, and seems to only be on the top of the shadow I don't think it is pigmented enough to be used as a liner (unless you want a very natural look) but is a very natural, pretty, warm crease color

I do not apply this how the package suggests, I instead use the "jewel" tone on the lid, the "liner shade" in the crease and outer v, the "lid shade" as a transition between the crease and highlight, and the highlight as a highlight, I then blend a bit of the "liner" under my eye and apply chocolate brown or eggplant eyeliner, and mascara

It's gorgeous!

For a "no makeup" look, I skip the rose shade, and use the "lid" "liner" and highlight shades only, (applying the lid on the lid, the liner in the crease, and the highlight on the brow) It brightens up my eyes and looks very natural, so therefore I do get my share of use out of the other colors.

I don't like the packaging, I wish Maybelline could take a hint from companies like Essence who have cheap, but still attractive packaging, but I'm not fussy when it comes to packaging. I don't like how there is more of the "highlight," or "base" shade and less of the other ones, I wish there was an equal amount of all (like the old packaging)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2014 11:43:00 AM More reviews by glamycakes2014

These r perfect....i love how they have the little directions on were to put them...lets face it im horrible at figuring that out lol....anyways i will repurchase

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

Nice looking in the pan. Think they can definitely improve on the quality of these or the whole line of products actually. That being said to get the best wear out of these a primer before would help. you can absolutely wear these without primer as I do most of the time but they do not wear as long and will start to crease. The colors in this pallet are nice but to me are lack luster. I would not buy this quad again

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked this quad up because the colors in the pan are gorgeous - frosty but not glittery and all cool-toned neutrals that would be perfect for work. This quad is excellent quality for a ds brand, but it still isn't anywhere near most high-end shadows. I don't expect great pigmentation from ds eye shadow but this is much better than most, especially the base/highlight color, a shimmery champagne, which has excellent payoff. (This color is also perfect for the tear trough.) What they refer to as the "lid" color is a lovely cool cafe au lait beige -- too bad I can barely get it to show up and it's a bit chalky when it does. But now for the real bummer: the amethyst "crease" color, such a beautiful jewel tone in the pan, has zero payoff - I can't see it after several layers (and I'm only NC10-15 so on darker skintones this would be even worse). The "liner" color is also a huge disappointment: it's a chocolatey brown that lacks any richness - on my lids it's just a weak, muddy mess that's completely gone by noon (even with my UDPP lid primer). I like a liner to have intensity - this one doesn't work as a liner at all because it has no pigmentation. So overall this quad is a mixed bag, but I would probably buy it again, if only for the excellent base/highlighter color at such a reasonable price.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by BriJax01

So disappointed :( I heard great things about this product but I found there's so little pigmentation, it just blended into my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 3:33:00 AM More reviews by WendyTran

I took this from my mom hehe :B Btw I do not have an eyelid primer, so the colors are not as vibrant.

Pros
-Perfect for everyday look
-Good pigmentation
-I love the purple one :)

Cons:
....with no primer, it doesnt last long (duh)

I love it! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/5/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by anastesia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This quad is ok, I don't find anything special about it. The base white color I find quite chalky. However, the purple crease color is very gorgeous, the best one out of all.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by teaforvictoria

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of the first Eyeshadow Quads that I have purchased & I used it for big performances that were on stage and outdoors. I've gotten many compliments on how natural this quad looks and I absolutely love it. Definitely one of my go to eyeshadow quads when I have no time to pick & choose colors from my big palettes. I also prefer to use my own eyeshadow brushes to really pack on the color since there is occasional fall out and it does tend to give your face a lot shimmer since 3/4 of the eyeshadows are shimmer.The only matte color is the dark brown that is used for the liner, which really isn't that dark at all.

I love the cranberry metallic color used for the crease.What I also like about the quad is the fact that each color is labeled for lid, base, crease and liner. You don't have to follow it and you can definitely use the dark brown liner to make a smoky look as well (:

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow- i really become almost obsessed w/ collecting eyeshadows- they are def a must have in my makeup collection & being a drugstore makeup buyer, these quads are def great! & I think everyone can enjoy this one!
~~PRICE/AVAILABILITY~~
The Maybelline ExpertWear Shadow quads can be readily found in most drugstores like RiteAid, Walgreens, CVS as well as mass stores like Walmart, Target, & Kmart. They have released a lot of these quads so one store may not have them all so it will vary. The price will also vary slightly depending on your location as well as sales/discounts. I always find me a bargain though. These are pretty fairly priced esp for the quality. These typically sell for $5-7 depending. I typically pay around $5 and think thats cheap!
~~SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE~~
"Designer Chocolates" is a nice basic but beautiful neutral quad with four gorgeous coordinating shadows that can be worn for day and nite looks. They do have suggestions but you can make your own looks. I think all four shadows are pressed well, smooth and easy to apply & blend. Pigmented and look amazing! I think these will go on pigmented enough to show up alone & wear for hours with little fading but if you use a primer, it will help significantly (as with most d/s shadows) I find with a primer, these go on a tad more pigmented and wear for hours with almost no fading or creasing. If you have more oily lids, a primer or powdering your lids will help keep them from creasing. I think my shadows look great even after a long day at work. With each quad though, you will have a shadow that may need a little more work but nothing too major that i cant handle. But whats also great about the Maybelline quads is that they include four coordinationg shadows and four different finishes so you can add texture or dimension. Everyone can wear them since you get some matte, satin & metallic or shimmer. It wont be too much glitter- its great that we finally get some good mattes and not always shimmer bc the older i get, the less i want sparkles all over, you know. So ill describe the shadows in my opinion-
BROW- a nice soft matte vanilla shadow. since its matte its great along the brow bone for a natural highlight & can also be used all over for a wash for a soft natural look.
LID- a soft satin champagne gray. this is one of my favorite colors to put all over the lid to open up the eye area. its great alone paired with liner. very pretty
CREASE- a gorgeous metallic cranberry wine color. This can add dimension to the look. can be built up or if you use a fluffy brush & run this along a brown, it can add warmth to your look, such a beautiful color from the d/s
OUTER CORNER (OR LINER IN NEW QUAD)- a nice matte dark chocolate brown. this makes a great outer v or crease color as well. This can also be used to smoke out the look or wet for a liner. Its not as dark as it looks in the pan but can def be built up or blended for a more sheer natural brown.
All four of these shadows make a great day time natural and beautiful look but can be smoked out & jazzed up with that cranberry. These colors are all beautiful alone or together. This quad is neutrals but w/ a pop of color. I love this quad esp for fall & winter but i def reach for it year round!
~~PACKAGING~~
The Maybelline ExpertWear Quads come in the standard hard plastic compact. Backing is a black with a sticker covering with all the labeling, info, and whats great is they include a picture tutorial of the eye & where & how to place the labeled shadows for different suggested looks. Its great for beginners to show them basics but also for those who want to throw looks together themselves. The shadows all have suggested placements such as lid, brow, crease, liner so its nice to see what can go where. It taught me how to place different shadows together. The lid is see thru (which is great if you have more than one of these) with maybelline logo & quad name located on a connecting sticker to the back. I dont think its the prettiest looking compact but it keeps my shadows safe & in place and def has withstood thru traveling & handling. I have had a lid snap off but that was me trying to open it the wrong way (duh, im blonde, i know) Its slim & great for traveling since can make a few looks with each quad! this is def great for that!
Overall, id def suggests this quad as well as others from Maybelline for those beginning to collect and do their makeup since you can get a few looks with each quad. This quad is def great for day time & nite time and can be worn season after season! Its basics but with a punch and i def love it! id repurchase if Maybelline would QUIT TESTING ON POOR INNOCENT CREATURES! it drives me crazy that companies are still doing this!