April 24, 2014 | 1880 users online

Scrubs - LUSH - Ocean Salt

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I'm torn about Ocean Salt. On the one hand, I *love* that way it smells, and I do like how my skin feels after using it. However, I was hoping the scrub would be a little saltier. It's just not quite as scrubby as I like my scrubs to be! And it's hella pricey. So while I may buy it again for the divine price, it's not something I feel like I always want to have on hand.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by azottl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love most of my LUSH products, but was a little disappointed by this product. Firstly, the price you pay for the product is excessive for the amount of product you get. The brand claims that this is a face and body scrub. If you were to use this to scrub your legs, for example, you could essentially use half the pot in one use. With that being said, the scrub does work well when used as a body scrub - it sloughs any dry skin easily and brightens the appearance of your skin.
Secondly, I would not recommend this product to use as a face scrub. It is way too gritty to be used on delicate skin - it feels rough and burns afterwards, even if you rub gently. If you insist on using this product as a face scrub, use a very small amount and rub lightly. However, it does leave your skin looking fresh and polished, but again, if you insist on using it, I wouldn't recommend using it more than twice a week.
The scent is reminiscent of a margarita with a small hint of sea salt. The scent is quite strong, so I would not recommend using this if you are sensitive to smell. Overall, the product is not necessarily bad, but for the reason listed above I would not repurchase the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Beautylover90

I love lush but find some of their products a little hit and miss. This scrub i don't use on my face because i find it a little too harsh ( and i have mildly tolerant skin) but i love to use it on my upper back and chest, where i get constant acne. This scrub along with a benzoyl peroxide cream and spot treatment keeps my acne manageable. This is the only product thats harsh enough to clear the acne without leaving the skin dry and flaky, like a benzoyl peroxide wash can. I think it smells lovely and citrusy fresh. A lot of people complain about the size of the salt chunks and i mean, it is salt people! Its not going to be like rubbing fluffy white clouds on your face! But if you find it too harsh just use it on your body like me or mix it with water and rub it gently into your face. I personally love the pots but i agree its very expensive for what it is. Im on my second pot and will continue to purchase unless i find something cheaper thats just as effective.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2014 3:30:00 PM More reviews by lulu6789

I bought this scrub on my last LUSH visit, however when I got to the till and I heard the price for a small pot of face scrub, me and my friend stood there with our mouths open because we were shocked at how expensive it was. I had high hopes for this because of the price. When I opened it I loved the smell and I stirred it until I got a good consistensy but the blue colour sort of faded. When I applied it to my skin I slowly rubbed it round and after about a minute it did begin to sting but that's because of the salt. Afterwards my skin was as soft as a babys bottom and it had a bit of a glow. Some of my spots dried up but I only used it once so I'm not sure about the long term affects. So far so good though!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 1:51:00 PM More reviews by alyssavalle21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ocean Salt is a great exfoliater and skin brightener! I use it about once a week because its so potent (and also because it's on the pricey side). I've recommended this to many friends and they love it! Definitely worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by orangepillow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Always been a huge fan of Lush, and turns out many years ago I bought a tub of Ocean Salt being completely taken in by its Margarita-like smell and left it in my mom's house before even using it once! Mom's skin transformed when she was using Ocean Salt, it brought out a certain brightness that was never there before.

So a couple of months ago I picked up my own tub of Ocean Salt, and I just love it! I use it every Thursdays (not more frequently because its definitely very potent) and nearly every weekend people tell me that my skin looks amazing! I have always had combination skin and the oil + dryness combo comes in the way of bright skin. But this product brings out a glow and gives a good spring cleaning after a week's worth of cosmetic use.

I want to address the controversial ingredients because this seems to be the reason for some bad reviews:

1. Salt : You know why Salt-water gargling works wonders for a sore throat? Because Salt dehydrates the bacteria that is causing infection and it "starves" them. It doesn't exactly kill the bacteria but it weakens them. This is exactly what Salt in the scrub does - its naturally abrasive, but also naturally anti-bacterial! No wonder it makes my spots dry up so fast.

2. Vodka : Alcohol has been used for centuries to sanitize - this is also anti-bacterial and works real well paired with the salt. Again, this is perfect if you have oily or combo skin with intermediate to extreme breakouts. Yes it will dry out your skin a bit, but heck that's what moisturizer is for!

3. Blue food coloring : Did you know that Candy, Gummies, Cheetos and all other colorful treats have food coloring in them ? This is the stuff you ingest at least once a week. Yes, it would be nice if Lush did not use synthetic dyes in their products, but if you think about it, you are not ingesting this product. It goes on your face, stays there for 30 seconds and washes off. Seems far safer than eating a pack of M&Ms.

One tip: if you have cystic acne use Lush Fresh Farmacy (which will dry out the cysts) and after that you can use Ocean Salt once a week to maintain. This has been my routine for sometime and it really works. Both products are drying, so use them with a good light moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by AGeron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This product is amazing! I needed a good body scrub and this one just brightens my skin. I didn't really use it on my face because I'm already using a mask that exfoliates and didn't want to over do it. The smell alone sold it for me, it just smells heavenly. I'm a big fan of Lemon based scent and it stayed with me throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by lipstickandleather

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

as for the smell, it's amazing. this scrub has a very energizing lime scent and reminds me of a tropical vacation. i bought the smaller container, which didn't last very long. i would go with the bigger one, even though it is expensive.

as for a body scrub, it works pretty well. the only thing i wish though is that it was "grainier", if that makes sense. i like scrubs that really exfoliate, and while this one did a decent job, i feel like there was only so many "chunks" of scrub in there. at the bottom of the pot it was just the cream with barely any salt in it. there are better scrubs out there, but the smell of this one alone just makes me want to buy it again because it's that good

do not use it on your face! too harsh for a face scrub. i prefer let the good times roll.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 4:57:00 PM More reviews by HelloBrittney

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think it's very difficult to review LUSH products because despite a product sharing the same ingredients store to store, they are all prepared by different workers and I've never had two pots of this scrub that are the exact same in colour or texture or anything of that sort, though they all have been excellent quality.

Saying that, I may be extremely lucky compared to a lot of other reviewers.

I have sensitive skin, and this is actually the only scrub that helps tone down the oil on my face without being harsh (perhaps the vodka base?). I've only ever had fine salt (no chunks) and a very nice balance of citrus and perfume. Personally, I adore this product. I use it twice a week in the mornings and it makes my skin feel soft, super clean and look glowy.

I do agree with other reviewers though. For something with such basic ingredients, the price is a bit steep, but well worth it in my opinion.

I often have a problem with LUSH pots though, the lids don't always screw on correctly and if I ever keep them in the shower, I manage to get a fair amount of water in them even if they're closed.

Important note: IT SMELLS SO GOOD.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by glockgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this last week...i used it once and i broke out...it burns and i am very sorry i wasted my money....definitely not for me