April 17, 2014 | 1873 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock, SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by kittyinglasses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in Pure & Free Sensitive SPF 50.
This is one of the only sunscreens I have tried that haven't broken me out, burned me, or were full of oil and other horrible things that gave me awful skin. It was $12.99 I think, here in Canada at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Now that spring and summer are approaching, I'll be incorporating this into my everyday makeup routine.
Will repurchase. Would recommend.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Good lightweight high SPF sunscreen for people who prefer physical/mineral sunscreen formulas to chemical ones. Zinc and titanium dioxide are generally considered to be good for sensitive skin types, so this is a great product to try if other sunscreens have irritated your skin or eyes. This sunscreen is so gentle that I can put it on eyelids (which you should! The eye area is often overlooked and a common place for skin cancer to pop up) without experiencing any discomfort. Physical sunscreens are also great as they are offer protection against both UVA and UVB rays, and don't have the photo stability issues many chemical sunscreen ingredients do.

The texture of this product is very thin and runny. Some physical sunscreen formulas can feel a little paste-y in their texture, but this doesn't at all. It spreads across the face and is rubbed in pretty easily so long as you're fairly quick about it. If you're sloppy (as I sometimes can be when I'm in a hurry) and leave a patch without rubbing it in before it dries, it'll look chalky and can be difficult to rub that bit off/in. Physical sunscreens are notorious for adding a white cast to the skin, but at least on my NW20 complexion, I don't notice any so long as I take care to rub it in completely. This is something to keep in mind if you have deeper skin though, as I'd imagine it could make dark skin look ashy.

Immediately after application, my face looks a little shiny/greasy but after a minute or two my skin soaks it up and the final finish actually looks more matte than it did before. Doesn't feel heavy, tacky or sticky at all. I should note here that while this product doesn't break me out at all, it's not unheard of for people with particularly acne prone skin to find products containing Titanium dioxide problematic. That's not true of everyone with acne, but if you have a history of foundations, powders and sunscreens breaking you out, you might go back and check to see if they all had this ingredient in common.

This wears very well under my makeup. Doesn't pill up under my makeup and my foundation applies smoothly over it even without a primer in between. I still use a primer though as I have larger pores on my nose and cheeks, and my foundation can sink into my pores without one.

My big complaint about this product is that it smells AWFUL. I don't think it's because of any intentionally added fragrance, but I've never tried a physical sunscreen that smells this bad. It reminds me of sulfur. I've tried other Neutrogena sunscreens (just used up a bottle of the original Neutrogena liquid sunblock in fact!) and I can't recall any of them smelling like this, or if they did, smell so strongly. The smell does fade away, but it takes at least 5 minutes for it to do so, and those 5 minutes are a little miserable.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have oily skin and this made my skin very SHINY and GREASY looking. It has no oil absorbing properties at all, so if you have normal to dry skin this product may work for you. Also, it has a very strong sunscreen smell which is annoying. It definitely has a white look to it, so if you don't have super light skin it probably wont work for you. After the end of the first day of wear I had raised red bumps on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 8:01:00 AM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

love this ...i only trust purely physical blocking sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide ..the texture is nice ...i do tan easily in the sun and this really protected my skin ..will buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by weeble2491

I have incredibly sensitive skin and this is the only sunscreen that doesn't bother my skin! I'm allergic to chemical sunscreens, which means I can't use most brands. I've been using it on my face and it has not broken me out or made me oily. It lasts all day long. Makeup also goes on well over this if you give it a few minutes to dry. The only downside to this product is that it can leave a whitish coloring on your skin if you don't rub it in well enough, which is why I gave it a 4 instead of 5. Overall its the best sunscreen I've bought

rated 2 of 5 on 5/10/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by mariaNj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Light but Shiny and Not Absorbing: I tried this for my very oily skin in summer. No doubt it is very light but it didn't absorb well and stayed on my skin with a white shiny sheen. I actually have to put lot of face powder on it. DHC white sunscreen does a much better job of melting into my skin.

If you are looking for matte finish, this is not the product. I will NOT buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by Pestina18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Quick highlights: love it, not greasy, lasts long, good protection, no artificial ingredients or fragrance, can wear with makeup |||| This sunscreen is amazing. It's a little expensive and the bottle isn't big, but a little goes a LONG way. The only ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, so there's nothing artificial like smelly fragrances. The package mentions that it "layers invisibly under makeup" and it does! Unlike other sunscreens, it dries quickly and isn't greasy at ALL. I can apply it and then put my makeup on right over top. I love that it's SPF 50, and not just 10 or 15 like most facial sunscreens. The only con is that the zinc makes it appear a bit white colored, so you really do have to wear it underneath makeup to avoid looking like a ghost. But, that's perfect for going out in the summer! I love this stuff - it's always in my beach bag and my make-up kit.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 11:39:00 AM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really wanted this to work for me but I am sorry to say it did not. It is readily available at the drugstore, fairly priced, a physical high spf sunscreen, with no added fragrance. All of these made me hopeful. Here were my issues: it had a bad artificial smell. I don't mind products smelling like sunscreen when I prefer no added fragrance but this just smelled odd but it did dissipate quickly so not a huge dealbreaker. I am PPP in winter so I did not get much of a whitecast although if I had been photographed with this on it may have looked worse. I applied this to my whole face but not my chin (where I am especially breakout prone) Right now my acne is entirely product triggered otherwise under control. Usually new products break me out within a few hours. I wore this all day and was pretty happy. It was fairly lightweight and matte and didn't pill under my makeup. I came home and washed this off in the afternoon and didn't notice any new breakouts. However, the next day I had 3 new pimples in places I rarely get them. My guess is it has to be the capryl glycol that my skin hates although it is low on the list or the alcohol.

There is a slight chance that my breakouts could have been from eating badly or some other source but I always document any changes and it appears this was it. I may try to spot test this again just to be certain, otherwise it's probably going back to the store.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by can178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG face sunblock. It is incredibly light, and dries to a matte finish which I love because all other sunblocks feel and look greasy on my oily sensitive skin. I think the key to getting this sunscreen to work for you and not leave a whitish cast is all in the application. I like to let my moisturizer sink in for about a minute before I put the sunblock on (while my skin is still a little tacky from the moisturizer) - that really helps it glide on. I also press it into my skin instead of rubbing in circles. And voila - no whitish cast, and it all soaks right into my skin for a matte finish.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2012 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Jetaime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My derm recommended Neutrogena's "Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 50" to me after I complained about the breakouts other sunscreens were giving me. A little background- I have oily skin with occasional bouts of cystic acne as well as blackheads. I'm also very fair and currently spending much of my year teaching in Costa Rica, where the sun is very strong. I need a daily sunscreen with SPF 30 or more to stay protected.

I had high hopes for this sunscreen and at first, really liked the product. It's fairly easy to apply (a bit less so than your typical sunscreen but it's not as greasy either), doesn't leave me oilslicked at the end of the day, didn't pill with my foundation or cause acne breakouts. I would have continued with this product except for 2 big complaints. The first being that after using this product for a few weeks, I noticed that the texture of my skin changed. It became rough and bumpy on my forehead and chin. When I stopped using the product, the texture went back to normal. Secondly, it leaves a very noticeable white cast. At first, I thought I could cover it with makeup but no, I just look sickly when I wear this sunscreen. I realize some sunscreens have this effect but Neutrogena advertises the sunscreen as layering invisibly under makeup. Hardly. Wish this product would have been "the one" but my search continues!